PDA

View Full Version : Two Explosions at Boston Marathon

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15/explosion-reported-near-finish-line-boston-marathon-spokesman-says/
Apparently details are still breaking, but two explosions - reportedly in different locations - have been confirmed near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, with multiple casualties and more than one death reported.

Stormfeather
04-15-2013, 08:08 PM
catching this up now, do we have anyone in that AO?

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I honestly don't know. I've been running tapatalk for so long now I haven't been able to keep up with member locations.

2die4
04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Don't think so. I think I'm the closest but 3 hours away

Sniper-T
04-15-2013, 08:18 PM
My wife has a couple friends down there running it. She hasn't been able to get through to them yet

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Stg is the NE POC. I just texted him to see if there's anyone from around there.

I can't do it while mobile, but can someone check the NE call tree group for members, please?

T - I hope they're alright.

Stormfeather
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Im currently doing a BDA on the blast, coming from what Ive gleaned from video footage and still photos.

My initial assessment,
-domestic terrorist, disgruntled person within the region, possibility mil background or commecial explosives, younger versus older guy, very smart,
-HME (homemade explosive) too small of a blast pattern to be commercial/military explosive.
-multiple devices, hardwired or cell phone detonated?
Update. . . just found a pic online showing both blast happening concurrently, so almost definitely cellphone or radio detonation sequence.
-daisy chained, with a failure in the detonation sequence due to the delay in explosions. (amateur?)
UPdate this point is rendered moot, above update states why. Picture online showing both detonations happening at same time.
-possible 3rd device that didnt go off, still waiting on confirmation there.
-possible 4th device at a library (JFK?) UPDATE Verified explosion at JFK LIbrary.
-FAA issues TFR for that region

UPDATE 1 unconfirmed reports of FBI BOLO on yellow hertz truck at NYC Ground Zero.
UPDATE 2 person of interest detained, unsure if witness or suspect.
UPDATE 3 Cellphone service shut down in Boston Area, bombs possibly cell detonated.
UPDATE 4 Bearcat APC's deployed to area.
UPDATE 5 Old town hall reports suspicious device in trash, BFD requesting bomb squad.
UPDATE 6 Rental truck at NYC GZ found, declared clean/non-mission issue. FBI BOLO cancelled.
UPDATE 7 BFD ON SCENE WITH A VEVICLE WITH A SUSPICIOUS PACKAGE INSIDE. REQUEST FOR THE BOMB SQUAD [NHA038]
UPDATE 8 SUSPICIOUS DEVICE 04/15/13 16:38 (BOSTON - ) BFD ON SCENE IN FRONT OF OLD CITY HALL WITH A SUSPICIOUS DEVICE IN A TRASH BARREL. REQUEST FOR BOMB SQUAD [NHA038]

questions-- why today? Tax day? is this a protest? this also coincides with new york states starting day of firearms/assualt registration? First thing that comes to my mind. any other ideas folks?

Excerpt from Yahoo front page. . .New York's assault weapon registration begins

Key measures of New York's tough new gun law kicked in Monday, with owners of firearms now reclassified as assault weapons required to start registering the firearms and new limits on the number of bullets ...

apssbc
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Nice analysis Stormfeather.

One of my first thought was it was the NORKs but thats not their MO. I have to agree that it could be domestic it wouldnt surprise me if it was domestic or jihadis. However the NY post is reporting there's a Saudi national in a hospital being guarded.

UPDATE: fox confirms person is being held. Unknown if its a perp or not.

Press conference states they had 2 explosions at the marathon, 1 at JFK library and one device disabled by EOD. PD stepped around a question about how many devices total.

Cell phones have been shut down in the city.

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm getting info the PD has deployed APC's and the Penske truck of interest is clean.

Stormfeather
04-15-2013, 09:40 PM
So now all the armchair quarterbacks gear up and the blame game starts. Lets see where this monkey flies.

helomech
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
12 dead 64 injured. Just glad they didn't use guns.

apssbc
04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Helo where are you getting that. All the news is reporting 2 dead, 69 at hospitals being treated, over 100 total injured.

Sniper-T
04-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Here's my analysys...

Idiots, nothing but idiots!

hurt those who have hurt no one.
idiots!

and that is the nicest thing I can say.

No word from friends yet
:(

Sniper-T
04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Here's my analysys...

Idiots, nothing but idiots!

hurt those who have hurt no one.
idiots!

eta...

just talked to Wife... She is FREAK'd!

She was planning on heading down to Fargo to run a marathon... with a pile of friends. now... not so sure!

and that is the nicest thing I can say.

No word from friends yet
:(

mitunnelrat
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Hopefully they just need time to clear the area and regain cell reception...

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/04/15/breaking-explosions-reported-near-finish-line-of-boston-marathon/

So now I'm reading JFK was not a bomb, but fire related, and there is no person of interest under guard.

helomech
04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Right here.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/two_explosions_at_boston_marathon_iMR0LCkcwASg0RQf VsH1yI

Sniper-T
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
ouch!

tx for the link Helo

apssbc
04-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Just a few more thoughts. Links from the NY post may be worthless. They have been very wrong or at least shot down officially multiple times today.

Tin foil on:

Also this is a very good learning opportunity for those who wish to do us harm. They are watching how we respond, maybe the other bombs were fakes. Could they have tested us to see how we find and diffuse these bombs? Many lessons the terrorists could learn and I'm sure are learning right now.

Tin foil off.

Sniper-T
04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
wow.... I'm sure the dead and wounded appreciate your liberal misuse of tinfoil!

apssbc
04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Not trying to offend anyone. However I guarantee someone, somewhere is watching/listening to this with cruel intent. It would be foolish to think that's not true.

It's something we need to be wary of and be conscious about. It sucks but it's true.

Sniper-T
04-16-2013, 12:05 AM
unerstood APs... no ofence intended either..

Stormfeather
04-16-2013, 02:50 AM
I agree, malicious folks are definitely watching this to see reactions, ttp's of the good guys, in combat planning, all these items come into play.

Stormfeather
04-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Ok folks, looks like the official numbers are in. . . .

4 The number of explosive devices. 2 detonated, 2 failed to detonate.
3 The number of casualties, to include an 8 year old child.
144 The number of non fatal to date casualties.

There are some interesting facts about the whole incident. Please read it, and contemplate it before you make any hasty observations.

1 One of Boston's biggest annual events, the race winds up near Copley Square, not far from the landmark Prudential Center and the Boston Public Library. It is held on Patriots Day, which commemorates the first battles of the American Revolution, at Concord and Lexington in 1775. Lots of ideas or inferences could be made about this particular fact. None of them good for the American People.

2 A fire broke out not far from the race itself at the JFK Law Library, approximately 2 miles away. Far enough to lure first responders away from what would then be the incident site. The farther away they are, the less chance to respond in a timely matter to possibly save more lives.

3 The bombings occurred about four hours into the race and two hours after the men's winner crossed the finish line. By that point, more than 17,000 of the athletes had finished the marathon, but thousands more were still running. This attack may have been timed for maximum carnage: The four-hour mark is typically a crowded time near the finish line because of the slow-but-steady recreational runners completing the race and because of all the friends and relatives clustered around to cheer them on.

4 WBZ-TV ( Bostons Main TV Station) reported late Monday that law enforcement officers were searching an apartment in the Boston suburb of Revere. Massachusetts State Police confirmed that a search warrant related to the investigation into the explosions was served Monday night in Revere but provided no further details. This would lead someone to think that of the undetonated bombs, somebody got sloppy and left a fingerprint/DNA/Business Card/Manifesto? at the bomb location that would lead them to that apartment location.

5 New York's assault weapon registration begins. Key measures of New York's tough new gun law kicked in Monday, with owners of firearms now reclassified as assault weapons required to start registering the firearms and new limits on the number of bullets.

Food for thought folks, just throwing it out there, a lot of interesting facts, the first one of which does not bode well for the typical prepper. It paints us in a very bad light. Someone is trying to recreate the Shot heard around the world.

Taz Baby
04-16-2013, 01:07 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/525396_10201102479588102_274057831_n.jpg

Stg1swret
04-16-2013, 05:51 PM
New details out on the bomb. It is what is known as a pressure cooker IED, commonly seen in Afghanistan. They say that people were actually fortunate in that the lid wasn't tightened down as it should have been. That made the force of the explosion less then it could have been, therefore lessening its effect.

Sniper-T
04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
friends are accounted for and ok.

mitunnelrat
04-16-2013, 08:53 PM
That's good to hear

Twitchy
04-20-2013, 01:38 AM
2nd Suspect in custody!!!!!!

izzyscout21
04-20-2013, 03:30 AM
How they didn't aerate this guy like a golf green is beyond me.

mitunnelrat
04-20-2013, 03:33 AM
I believe three words could have impacted that. Publicity, and media coverage

Twitchy
04-20-2013, 04:07 AM
I believe three words could have impacted that. Publicity, and media coverage

and brass would probably flip a tit if they killed the only other suspect...