PDA

View Full Version : Five gallon bucket experiment

ANEURYSM
04-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone.. as you guys know I don't talk much. I like to read and get the info others have put forth .
I have a dilemma. I have looked but my search of isn't the greatest so if it is here already then disregard my post and apologies.

What I need is information on what can be put in a five gallon bucket supply wise.
Food and comfort for say three people.
I have my list of ideas but i know i am missing allot.
I will be taking pictures and cataloging what is in the bucket. So give me ideas.

Here is mine.
1 Rice . Not sure how much.
2 Beans
3 Canned tuna, spam,
4 Bullion cubes.
5 salt , pepper, hot pepper flakes.
6 fire making kit
7 med pot
8 coffee tea
9 sugar
10 candy
11 can opener
12 flour
13 vegtable oil
14 honey

mitunnelrat
04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Are you looking at a grab and go system for a bug out scenario?

ANEURYSM
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Yes somthing to be grabbed that would sustain a group of three for say 4 days. It dosent need to have gear or guns that is covered. Just a food and comfort bucket.

mitunnelrat
04-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Ok. The context helps, thank you.
I'll throw out some more ideas after a few minutes of though, but one immediately came to mind:

You may be able to get a luggable loo seat, a neutralizing agent, and some waste bags to make one of the buckets an emergency toilet after you've unpacked it.

ANEURYSM
04-16-2013, 10:10 PM
I like the idea of a toilet after being unpacked. I have a gamma lid. Do you think that would work for a seat?

mitunnelrat
04-16-2013, 10:44 PM
It'd for sure work. The bucket alone, sans lid would as well. It'd definitely seal up better with a gamma seal than what I'm talking about though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FIAPXO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I got mine for about $20 at the local big box store, and use it for fishing. It keeps my ass dry and the fish in water until I'm ready to leave - and if I ever needed it for its intended purpose it'll be way more comfortable than a thin rim. One less stressor in a bad situation.

Sniper-T
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
In a pinch... just the bucket will work fine. slip a grocery bag over the top( one with no holes), sit down carefully, and your legs hold the bag in place. Grab the bag when you stand up, and you can lift it out and tie it off. Been there, done that!

Any 'seat' beyond that, is gravy!

Are you a rice an beans family/group? The old saying, pack what you eat...

Other things that come to mind... ramen noodles, dry packaged potatoes, drink mix (iced tea, koolaid, gatoraid), Mrs dash, spice/seasoning medleys, jerky, ???

Taz Baby
04-17-2013, 12:07 AM
I didn't see anything for water or making water drinkable, don't forget that. Also don't forget the basic meds. Band aids, salve, your meds, ect. Fishing line and hooks, maybe a sewing kit.

bacpacker
04-17-2013, 12:46 AM
Flashlight and spare batteries, Some type water treatment and storage for sure. Paracord.

ANEURYSM
04-17-2013, 01:52 AM
Are you a rice an beans family/group? The old saying, pack what you eat...

Other things that come to mind... ramen noodles, dry packaged potatoes, drink mix (iced tea, koolaid, gatoraid), Mrs dash, spice/seasoning medleys, jerky, ???

Rice and beans are good, spices and ramen, drink mixes and jerky are better.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see anything for water or making water drinkable, don't forget that. Also don't forget the basic meds. Band aids, salve, your meds, ect. Fishing line and hooks, maybe a sewing kit.

Not doing med supplys or sewing thats covered. Looking for a food bucket.

ANEURYSM
04-17-2013, 01:57 AM
Flashlight and spare batteries, Some type water treatment and storage for sure. Paracord.

Paracord is out unless we can figure out how to eat it or use it for cooking. Flashlight I can see being used to cook with if its dark. So that and a set of batterys go in.

Im also thinking roll of toilet paper in a metal coffeee can. The coffee can could be used to boil water and or cook in.

Couple of garbage bags for latrine.

mitunnelrat
04-17-2013, 02:24 AM
Maybe something like this, then?
http://campingtripod.com/
A cooking tripod that appears to pack down pretty small, and may fit in a bucket...

Sniper-T
04-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Don't know where you are Aneurysm, but if you are bugging out to the wild... and it sounds like you are, how are you going to keep your food safe at night? All kinds of critters will chew into a bucket! with 50 feet of paracord, you could throw an end of cord over a branch, and hoist it to safety. Cord is also invaluable in securing a tent/tarp/leanto. with a couple/few holes in the top of your cooking can, you could suspend it over the flame to simmer. snares, triplines, tie a rock to one end, and tie baited hooks every 3 feet, and heave it into a lake to subsidize your food with fresh fish.... etc.

And here is the best one... make a harness like a backpack, for carrying the bucket, and you free up your hands.

ANEURYSM
04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Don't know where you are Aneurysm, but if you are bugging out to the wild... and it sounds like you are, how are you going to keep your food safe at night? All kinds of critters will chew into a bucket! with 50 feet of paracord, you could throw an end of cord over a branch, and hoist it to safety. Cord is also invaluable in securing a tent/tarp/leanto. with a couple/few holes in the top of your cooking can, you could suspend it over the flame to simmer. snares, triplines, tie a rock to one end, and tie baited hooks every 3 feet, and heave it into a lake to subsidize your food with fresh fish.... etc.

And here is the best one... make a harness like a backpack, for carrying the bucket, and you free up your hands.

The wilds of north west ohio. Flat flippin farm land the meanest thing we have round here is dogs and huge coons. I can shoot and eat both of them if forced into it. I like the ideas with the para cord so I am adding that to the list of things to toss in the bucket. I also like the idea of the tripod but I think it will take up to much space and with the para cord one could make a makeshift tripod out of some brances or other scavanged materials.

bacpacker
04-17-2013, 06:44 PM
+1 on the paracord. I stick some in most every box and bag I put together. Just way too handy. I like the idea of a small tarp or sheet of plastic to cook under in crappy weather.

Sniper-T
04-17-2013, 08:06 PM
three similar sized sticks, and a foot of cord, and you have a tripod. I wouldn't pack one, but have the means to make one

mitunnelrat
04-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Agreed on being able to make a tripod. I just figured for a heavier kit anyway...

As for the 550 cord, you could wrap it around the handles to save some space.

David Armstrong
04-18-2013, 04:34 PM
As a FWIW, a 6-gallon bucket doesn't take up much more space but holds quite a bit more.