PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's *FIRST* fish!

ElevenBravo
04-19-2013, 01:08 AM
http://elevenbravo.net/assortedimages/BeccasFirstFish-18APR13-small.jpg

After months of fishing and no hits, we switch over to drop shot with night crawlers. Jigs, crank baits, etc.. yielded nothing.

Im sure its a trout, its stocked water, but Im not sure what kind of trout.

Anyway, it was a catch & release.... Didnt have the time to dress & cook 'em so we put him back in cycle.

Im not sure who was more proud... her or me!!

Just wanted to share...

EB

mitunnelrat
04-19-2013, 01:27 AM
Congrats on the catch! It looks like a sucker to me, but I'm betting she had fun bringing it in!

ElevenBravo
04-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Damn, I just Googled sucker fish... Its markings and mouth are classic sucker fish.

Oh well, at least she caught a fish! HA HA!

EB

bacpacker
04-19-2013, 12:11 PM
It looked like what we call a carp. They do put up a good fight and can get huge. Congrats on the first catch. From the pic she looked very happy.

izzyscout21
04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Thats definitely a carp. Bottom feeders, but lots of fun to catch.

You can tell her she caught a giant goldfish. :)

ElevenBravo
04-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Sigh...

https://www.google.com/search?q=carp&client=firefox-a&hs=1NI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eppxUf6IHIegrAH81oH4Ag&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=798

FCS.... wish she could have gotten a trout...

Okay, GIANT GOLDFISH... Thats what Ill tell her!

None the less, it was a FISH and a FIRST, that it stays on the books! HA HA!

TA-
EB

Sniper-T
04-19-2013, 09:06 PM
It is actually hard to tell without seeing the dorsal fin in that picture. But I am leaning more towards a sucker, than a carp, for two reasons. One, there aren't any wiskers, and the shape of the head.

have a look at top center here:

http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1T4ADFA_enCA427CA428&biw=1291&bih=905&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=pictures+of+sucker+fish&oq=pictures+of+sucker+fish&gs_l=img.3...13114.14302.0.14650.6.6.0.0.0.0.116.6 28.2j4.6.0...0.0...1c.1.9.img.Rnrwu_t-amU#imgrc=_

- - - Updated - - -

If you check a local fishery site, they should have pictures of the local variants of each in your area.

But the size and shape of the dorsal fin is really what differentiates the two

izzyscout21
04-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Either way..... Sucker.... Carp..... They are still a lot of fun to catch. Them thar GI-ANT goldfish like to fight.

I wont eat em, but they are fun

Evolver
04-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Carp/suckers/chubs are a delicatessen in Asia so your daughters first catch would make and farther proud and an Asian drool. :)

Evolver
04-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Just for shits a giggles Googal "Carp Recipes" you will be surprised of how many 5 stars that you see.

Twitchy
04-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Either way..... Sucker.... Carp..... They are still a lot of fun to catch. Them thar GI-ANT goldfish like to fight.

I wont eat em, but they are fun

I recall almost becoming gator bait when one of these almost yanked me into the water when I hooked onto it as a tinny little twitchy that was only 4 years old... He was a LOT bigger... (carp that is)

Grumpy Old Man
04-19-2013, 11:22 PM
An ex-wife used to can carp I caught and cleaned ( filet and get rid of all the red meat leaving only white flesh). She put a tablespoon of russian dressing in each jar before it went into the canner. It was pretty darn good!

piranha2
04-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Regardless, it was a trip she will not forget. And pops won't either. Good on you.

izzyscout21
04-20-2013, 03:43 AM
Regardless, it was a trip she will not forget. And pops won't either. Good on you.

I second this motion. Who cares what she caught as long as you made memories and had fun.

izzyscout21
04-20-2013, 03:44 AM
Just for shits a giggles Googal "Carp Recipes" you will be surprised of how many 5 stars that you see.

I refuse to eat any type of bottom dweller of of some of the lakes here.

Grumpy Old Man
04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Catch them from the streams Izzy. Also the suckers have probably already run where you are, but in the Ozarks this time of year people take step ladders out in the riffles and perch up top to gig the fish during the run. Cleaned, cut into 1" steaks and deep fried, they are good eating.

ElevenBravo
04-20-2013, 06:47 PM
I thank everyone for there individual contribution to the thread, Ill be showing it to my little buddy soon...

She even had DREAMS of catching a fish, so just the fact she caught one is so satisfying to me I cannot explain.

Now, the next plan: Trout, bass or catfish or even perch... We gonna cook that rascal!

EB

realist
04-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Hey EB looking at the fish compared to her I would say it was something like five feet long right?????????????? If you ever have problems catching something I always have luck with a my DuPont lures they have never failed me.

Stormfeather
04-23-2013, 06:07 PM
congrats on the first fish! Looks like a carp to me as well. Ive never had an issue with cooking them up, I just soak em in salt water overnight and batter them up the next day!

Sniper-T
04-24-2013, 12:50 AM
wow... I just realized in my mode of identification, I forgot the basics... Dude! Congrats to her (and a little to you). That's an awesome achievement! sucker/carp are both good canned, if you don't mind the bones. trying to debone them I drove myself batty!

Sounds like you got her hooked, now to find some better species!

Katrina
04-24-2013, 04:35 AM
Congrats.she will always remember her first fish.
I caught my first fish when I was 7 years old. It was an itty bitty sun fish (released it) but me and Grand pop had a blast standing on the end of the pier while he taught me how to fish.

ElevenBravo
04-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Well, yesterday we went to what I know as a trout honey hole, about 12 of them holding up beside a log in a deeper, wider part of Glade Creek... They had just been released Monday (This was Tuesday) and the stubbern things would NOT take anything we threw at it... Corn, night crawler, Powerbait... She was disappointed, BUT knew from previous experience... sometimes going fishing doesnt mean catching a fish.

She has been through a lot in her short years... this lesson in patience is really starting to sink in and I am so thankful that we have the time together. I know in my heart at some point, our time together will be difficult to achieve so I have got to maximize what little I have left. Life is short, and I have soooo much I want to teach her, as far as skills and lessons about LIFE in general. Fishing has been a great gateway to other things yet to be learned...

EB

- - - Updated - - -

A side note to shtfready folks, I open up a bit more here... than I do any other forum because I feel most here are more like family & friends. Thanks for your kind words.

EB

Stormfeather
04-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Thats good to hear, we all are pretty like minded folks, makes for a easier sense of camaraderie.

Dont worry about the daughter, theres always one more lesson that daddy can teach her, so your job is never done, but at some point you have to let her spread her wings and make her own decisions and mistakes. The best we can do as fathers is teach them what we know, and be there for them once they strike out on their own! (and shoot any little bastard that tries to break my little babys heart)

bacpacker
04-24-2013, 11:56 PM
EB, Glad you felt good enough about the folks here to open up.

Around here it takes the trout a few days to settle down after being stocked. The day, after I've never caught anything.

robsdak
10-08-2014, 06:27 AM
Well, yesterday we went to what I know as a trout honey hole, about 12 of them holding up beside a log in a deeper, wider part of Glade Creek... They had just been released Monday (This was Tuesday) and the stubbern things would NOT take anything we threw at it... Corn, night crawler, Powerbait... She was disappointed, BUT knew from previous experience... sometimes going fishing doesnt mean catching a fish.

She has been through a lot in her short years... this lesson in patience is really starting to sink in and I am so thankful that we have the time together. I know in my heart at some point, our time together will be difficult to achieve so I have got to maximize what little I have left. Life is short, and I have soooo much I want to teach her, as far as skills and lessons about LIFE in general. Fishing has been a great gateway to other things yet to be learned...

EB

- - - Updated - - -

A side note to shtfready folks, I open up a bit more here... than I do any other forum because I feel most here are more like family & friends. Thanks for your kind words.

EB

BEWARE of necro-posting!!!

come down here EB. plenty of fish to be caught! you and her have a standing invite. a buddy's private pond is ready and waiting for her. bluegill,sunfish,bass,crappie. all wall hangers.

yeah, i feel the 'most' comfortable here as well. all good people, except that Scroggins. :)

Sniper-T
10-08-2014, 09:28 AM
BEWARE of necro-posting!!!

Necro posting is encouraged on this site as long as you are adding something of value to the original thread... and spending a day with his daughter is definitely value added!

If the fish aren't biting, take the time to explore the bank and the area, lessons in foraging, plant identification, creepy crawlies, birds, and even things that go bump in the wild are all good things to spend time on.

Or... just lay back and look for cloud animals. time is time, enjoy it while you can!

robsdak
10-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Necro posting is encouraged on this site as long as you are adding something of value to the original thread... and spending a day with his daughter is definitely value added!

If the fish aren't biting, take the time to explore the bank and the area, lessons in foraging, plant identification, creepy crawlies, birds, and even things that go bump in the wild are all good things to spend time on.

Or... just lay back and look for cloud animals. time is time, enjoy it while you can!

was up late reading and getting caught up and ran across several older pots, don't know how i missed this one. agreed on something too add.

looks like the Carp i grew up catching. the roe is excellent dipped in an egg/milk wash then rolled lightly in AP flour w/salt and pepper pan fried in butter/olive oil. man, brings back memories. nothing better than time spent with daughter/son in the outdoors. lasting memories for sure.