PDA

View Full Version : Recent events making you rethink how you carry your EDC?

2die4
04-19-2013, 01:15 AM
As the Boston tragedy unfolds, I am now seeing pictures being released that they are looking for people that were carrying back packs. Even if turns out to be a dead end lead, I would bet some silver that LEO and other security firms will be creating SOPs about backpack wearing spectators. I have several 5.11 Rush backpacks that I carry various Everyday carry items. Each kit has various items I deem necessary to carry and switch out pouches between the packs. I'm all about avoiding unwanted attention which is already hard to do standing at 6'3 and 243lbs. I'm thinking going the minimalist route on the rare occasion I do venture out in public. (I hate crowds and try to avoid them ever since coming back from the sandbox). Am I being rash or proactive here? If I went this route most of my gear would stayed stowed in the car.

http://s15.postimg.org/uons87tbf/backpackguys.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image (http://postimage.org/)

Unregistered
04-19-2013, 01:35 AM
I won't be mini zing my bag. There is nothing in it that would be an issue. To minimize it and leave items mainly in the car is a personal call but I would rather have what I need then need what I don't have.

mitunnelrat
04-19-2013, 01:42 AM
I keep overloading my Versipack, so I already made the switch to making sure I can wear the essential items, and I don't know that I'd call it "minimalist", just small... lol

I can write out an inventory if you'd like.

piranha2
04-19-2013, 01:44 AM
As I recall, the trigger was the fact that they had him on camera with the pack and later, several pics of him without the pack.

ak474u
04-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Nope, I'm not sacrificing my supplies, and my son's fruit snacks because of some terrorists. I carry a backpack when we go to the mall, and anywhere that is far from the car where we'd need bottled water, snacks, change of clothes for son etc. they can search me if they want, I'm not going to be inconvenienced because of paranoid people. They should be glad I'm not open carrying a rifle.

bacpacker
04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
I carry a pack to work everyday and at other times as well. Like AK said, there are things you need on you at times and no better way to carry them. I also take an empty pack with me at times to load up items I buy to keep my hands free.

Stormfeather
04-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Nope, my EDC is status quo

izzyscout21
04-20-2013, 03:49 AM
My edc stays the same for the mist part.

i still continue to have the "Danny Glover from Predator2" car trunk. :)

msomnipotent
04-20-2013, 04:52 AM
My pack is a tomato red, name brand pack and I have a Columbia jacket that color-coordinates. I did that intentionally. A non-descript camo pattern would stick out like a sore thumb in my area. I saw 3 other people with the same pack as I have in one afternoon at the zoo, and we were all loaded down with Capri Sun and trail mix. Nothin' to see here, Officer!

As I see it, one had a back pack and one had a messenger bag, although I may be wrong. I keep hearing conflicting reports. I heard that one was carrying a garbage bag at one point. Backpacks are very popular here, so I don't think anything will significantly change here. But then it is already routine to search all bags at events and no one is allowed to carry here, so take it for what it is worth.

LUNCHBOX
04-20-2013, 05:56 AM
I agree we (law abiding citizens) shouldn't have to suffer due to anothers actions but when has that mattered before.....I'll wait and play this one by ear. There are a few places that already didn't allow baclpacks in the store (probably due to shoplifters) I think there will be more stores/areas that change policy soon.

Grumpy Old Man
04-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Nope, not changing a thing. But then again I made a choice to move to a rural area to minimize my exposure to these sort of events. The biggest city I'll ever go to is Abilene.

bacpacker
04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
As I said before not gonna change what I do so mich as where I go. I really enjoy going to ball games, concerts, etc. But I don't really see that happening any more. Plus they cost way to much. I just cant see wasting my funds to put myself at added risk.

Tealcat95
04-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Nope- I will not be changing my routine when I go in a crowd. (which is very seldom ) I too live in a small rural community in N. FL so it's no big deal if someone has a concealed weapon in their truck or purse/pak.

ElevenBravo
04-20-2013, 06:42 PM
My EDC is between my ears, but I do need to put together a GHB....

EB

realist
04-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Extra mags with for the extra ammo. Stashed more in the truck and car. My wife wonders about me but that is okay they are safe.