PDA

View Full Version : Method of searching reference info stored in PDF e-books on an IPhone?

Marthony
04-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Hello,

First, I acknowledge that any survival-related books/documents need to be read & skills practiced to be of proper use in an emergency.

While being aware of that, I'm carrying a large number of PDF e-books on my IPhone, Partly for reading and partly for reference. It is a collection more than 400MB in size referenced online as 'Mega Survival Ebook Archive' and has many books within it. I've barely scratched the surface of it.

If one scrolls the 'home' screen of an IPhone to the left it gives a search feature. I think it would be quite handy to learn of any method to use this to search the contents of the e-books, for example to search for a reference to signal methods for airborne rescue (letters to make on the ground indicating situation), etc.

I know this is rather specific, but could be quite useful..!

(assumption - I don't expect to have cell/internet service in an emergency, and so want reference info on hand)

I close with frustration that the present industry trend of 'smart' phones lacks AM/FM hardware for functionality during incidents or when away from wireless access. At least it has GPS that would help you if lost..!

Thanks for any tips!

Marthony
04-19-2013, 05:32 PM
On a similar note, any Apps that you feel are handy would be interesting as well. There are a number of GPS-related ones that you can download map detail onto an IPhone and use away from network service. There is 'SAS Survival Guide Lite' and the fee-based full version out there, but I haven't played with it yet.

The Stig
04-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Goodreader is a great organizational tool for ipad. Think of it as an file manager.

PDF Expert is good also but not quite as handy for organization.

I'm *assuming* both work on iphone. I know what happens when you assume.

Marthony
04-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Thanks Stig, I'll look into it.

tc556guy
05-03-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't have a smart phone; are you able to organize stuff into folders as you do on your computer?
My system for that is pretty well developed and I am able to find info I need pretty quickly despite having over 60 gigs of files