PDA

View Full Version : Celox for burns

realist
04-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Has anyone used Celox for burns? Thanks ahead of time.

bacpacker
04-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Good question. I have started seeing it around different places and wondered about it.

izzyscout21
04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Celox us a hemostatic clotting agent. It is meant to be used for the control of severe bleeding. Putting it on a burn doesn't make sense.

Twitchy
04-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Celox us a hemostatic clotting agent. It is meant to be used for the control of severe bleeding. Putting it on a burn doesn't make sense.

this... Celox would have no effect on the burn itself... third degree burn with massive tissue damage and lots of bleeding? eh... maybe... But I would still attempt other methods of bleeding control first.

apssbc
04-21-2013, 11:40 PM
I have to agree with Twitchy and Izzy. Its made for heavily bleeding wounds, even then I would use it last resort post shtf. I cant dig up any use for it with burns.

realist
04-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Guys it is now used for burns too. Since it will soak up fluid, you pour saline on it and then put it on the wound. It will absorb up to 320 ml of saline or 430 ml of water. It is now multi purpose but I have not heard how it is working out in the field yet.

http://www.sammedical.com/celox_trauma_gauze.html

izzyscout21
04-22-2013, 06:45 PM
I'm still leery of putting anything other than conventional treatment on a burn. You soak up fluid with a burn dressing, which then sticks to the patient, or you pour celox granules on a burn, which then stick to the patient after "clotting". Either way, something sticks. I just dont see the benefit.

From personal experience, the docs HATE trying to clean all those granules from a wound.

bacpacker
04-23-2013, 01:09 AM
I may be mistaken on what I have been seeing in stores. It's just a small packet. I haven't picked one up and took a look.

apssbc
04-23-2013, 01:33 AM
I understand using it to soak up the fluid discharged from a burn. However the treatment of burns involves constantly changing dressing, cleaning and debrieding the wound. A very horrible painful process to go through. Dressing can get stuck and have to be removed.

Also the fluid shift caused by burns is only a real worry if they are major burns ofer a large surface area. I can see the theory where it will seal the would and prevent any more fluid loss.

Pouring Celox on it will soak up the fluid but become very stubbornly lodged in the wound. PreSHTF I say last resort but go for it if you feel the need. Post SHTF I would not due to the lack of advanced care. As a matter of fact Celox or quick clot is my absolute last resort due to what needs to be cleaned out. Unless its the gauze that's inpregnated with the stuff, much easier to clean out.

With burns I personally do this:
-Stop the burning process.
-Remove the not stuck clothing
-Cover with a dry burn dressing for large burns, moist sterile burn dressing for more minor or smaller surface area burns.
-Treat for shock and pain with fluid and meds
-Support the airway and keep warm, with large burns the bodies ability to regulate temp is lost so keep them warm.

izzyscout21
04-23-2013, 01:34 AM
I may be mistaken on what I have been seeing in stores. It's just a small packet. I haven't picked one up and took a look.

Celox normally comes in a packet of granules. Quick clot is mostly gauze now. Dont know if celix has put out a gauze yet, but even if they have, id still use a burn dressing.

apssbc
04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Celox is now out with a gauze. However I'm sticking with the burn dressings until I can dig up more info.

IDTANDY
04-28-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm still leery of putting anything other than conventional treatment on a burn. You soak up fluid with a burn dressing, which then sticks to the patient, or you pour celox granules on a burn, which then stick to the patient after "clotting". Either way, something sticks. I just dont see the benefit.

From personal experience, the docs HATE trying to clean all those granules from a wound.

Have to agree,besides when the gauze sticks to the burn you promote granulation,which is part of the healing process.

Twitchy
04-28-2013, 09:58 PM

Not sure I understood the first part of that... In my experience, burn dressings are moistened in Sterile Saline solution to moisten the surrounding tissue to stop the burning process and keep the less damaged tissue moist to prevent other ailments...

izzyscout21
04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Not sure I understood the first part of that... In my experience, burn dressings are moistened in Sterile Saline solution to moisten the surrounding tissue to stop the burning process and keep the less damaged tissue moist to prevent other ailments...

they will still dry out. Just depends on how long its on there before you get to the hospital OR if you even have any post-shtf

Stormfeather
04-30-2013, 06:17 PM
I think I will stick to my WaterGel products for burn treatment, I keep those in my IFAK exactly for that reasons.

Twitchy
05-02-2013, 12:32 AM
they will still dry out. Just depends on how long its on there before you get to the hospital OR if you even have any post-shtf

good point...

Burns are a complicated thing to treat in the PAW, that is for sure... and Painful...

Fidel MD
08-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Not a good idea at all. It won't help at all, will make the burn treatment worse, and will waste the hemostatic agent.

ditchmedic
08-09-2013, 06:32 AM
Guys it is now used for burns too. Since it will soak up fluid, you pour saline on it and then put it on the wound. It will absorb up to 320 ml of saline or 430 ml of water. It is now multi purpose but I have not heard how it is working out in the field yet.

http://www.sammedical.com/celox_trauma_gauze.html

Ill clarify. Its is advertised to soak up saline to "cool first and second degree burns"

Cooling third degree or partial thickness burns can lead to hypothermia, vasoconstriction and ultimately necrosis of the ischemic tissue

ladyhk13
08-14-2013, 04:54 AM
If you are only looking at minor burns then keep it simple....mustard is the best thing. I know it sounds weird but I learned it from an Amish woman when she accidentally put her finger in hot oil as she was making me a fried pie. I thought it strange when within seconds after putting on regular ol mustard she said it wasn't burning anymore. Not long after that, I burned my wrist in the oven and figured I would try it and was shocked when it worked. It didn't blister or hurt. A couple of days later dh said 'nice burn' and I had no idea what he was talking about. I looked at it and it should have been a terrible burn but I didn't even know it was there other than the skin was so purple it was almost black. That's my go to treatment for anything other than 3rd degree burns.