PDA

View Full Version : Ramen... Need help!

Sniper-T
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
yeah, yeah... I know about the salt thing, and I deal with that in my own way. But the fact is I LOVE the stuff. I eat a cup of soup at least once, EVERY day! My problem is, that I typically buy it at the chinese groceries (best selection of low salt stuff), and they are shoved willy nilly into shelves (no flats). so how can I store them?

Every brand is a slightly different size, so a tube feed like somebodies canned goods thing wouldn't work well (plus I don't have the space). I fill boxes and bags, but that's just messy. I've bundled handfuls together with elastics, but being different sizes, they don't stack well.

Any other Ramen freaks here? what do you do?

:(

Taz Baby
04-24-2013, 10:21 AM
We put ours in plastic totes and stack them

Stormfeather
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Ok, I normally put mine in a plastic bin, unless they are the typical top ramen noodles which come in the cardboard flats when you buy them by the case.

just want to point out something rumor-wise. Ramen noodles themselves are made with an actual wax covering that makes it so they dont stick when cooking them. Your body needs about 48 hours to digest/dispose of this wax after you have consumed the noodles. This rumor has been floating around for as long as I can remember eating ramen noodles and has been proven to be totally false.

DarkLight
04-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Slightly tangential, the wife and kids also like the "Cup Noodles" which include some veggies (term used loosely) and if you're going to be boiling the water, etc, might as well potentially get some additional nutrition. Again, they don't always stack so good but a little better than the "never quite the same size/shape" bricks of noodles.

Sniper-T
04-25-2013, 03:42 AM
I heard about the wax thing, but if it were actually true, I wouldve lit up like a cheap candle 30 years ago! lol

I always have some cups around too, but I have found that even by the same mfg, they are exponentially higher in salt than the same weight package.

I dehydrate a lot of veggies, and make most of my own bullion. So I have jars full of 'flavour' packs, that I just dont use, or will add into a pot of sauce for a gravy, etc.

I will have to look for some custom tupperware kind of boxes, ones that will fit on my shelves, stack, and hold a decent amount.

Mmmmm, I love Ramen....

DarkLight
04-25-2013, 12:30 PM
I will have to look for some custom tupperware kind of boxes, ones that will fit on my shelves, stack, and hold a decent amount.

Not sure where you are but if you have a "Container Store" near you, they have just about every size, shape and configuration of storage imaginable. They can be kind of expensive though sometimes. Another thought would be Ikea. They seem to have a TON of different shapes and sizes of plastic containers and their prices are much more reasonable if you have a local store, shipping would negate the savings most likely.

Sniper-T
04-25-2013, 08:15 PM
They just opened an ikea in town. I'll have to check it out one day

ladyhk13
04-28-2013, 02:48 AM
Just don't go past the expiration date on them. My son did an experiment and found that they DO go bad once past their dates. He called to let me know that they are totally gross.

Sniper-T
04-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I beg to differ on that LH. Unless it is the kind with the oil, sauce, nuts, and seasonings, there realy is nothing to go bad. I am working towards a 2 year rotation on my ramen, which given how much I eat, is a lot! I have hundreds of packs almost a year beyond the 'best before' date, and have not noticed a degradation in quality in a single one.

Do you know what brand he was refering to? I would o some further study on this if ya did!

Mmmmm Ramen!