PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. George Jones, Country Music Legend

Stormfeather
04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
I grew up listening to this guy from my grandparents who were huge fans of his. George Jones was born Sept. 12, 1931, in a log house near the east Texas town of Saratoga, the youngest of eight children. He sang in church and at age 11 began performing for tips on the streets of Beaumont, Texas. His first outing was such a success that listeners tossed him coins, placed a cup by his side and filled it with money. Jones estimated he made more than $24 for his two-hour performance, enough to feed his family for a week, but he used up the cash at a local arcade. He died today April 26, 2013, he was 81 years old. Im sure going to miss his music, a legend has passed.

http://music.yahoo.com/news/george-jones-country-superstar-died-81-141813753.html

eagle326
04-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Same here Stormy. My mom growing up in Wooster on a farm and later in Smithville ; Orriville she brought us up on George Jones ; Pasty Cline ; Hank Williams Sr. and many more. He will be sorely missed as he was part of country music when it was true country music.
Rest in peace George for you've given the world a legacy unmatched.

ElevenBravo
04-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Jerked a tear when I heard it.... He was the first ever concert for my daughter about 6 years ago.
I was always fond of his voice & songs...

May you rest easy in a rocking chair my friend...
EB

Evolver
04-27-2013, 12:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQzw_Ax8CwCheers George your voice will last forever in song. We all know G.J. and here is one of my favorite song's with his voice singing in his later days. Aaron Lewis must have been honored for you to contribute to his song, your voice stands out and it leaves an impact. Thank you George!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQzw_Ax8Cw

Willie51
04-27-2013, 03:12 AM
We are huge fans of George Jones. My mom and dad loved him and I grew up listening to his LPs that my parents had. I'm pretty sure he was still touring until a couple of months ago when he fell ill. He will be missed.

Stormfeather
04-27-2013, 03:30 AM
Same here Stormy. My mom growing up in Wooster on a farm and later in Smithville ; Orriville she brought us up on George Jones ; Pasty Cline ; Hank Williams Sr. and many more. He will be sorely missed as he was part of country music when it was true country music.
Rest in peace George for you've given the world a legacy unmatched.

ok. . . hitting too close to home, sending you a PM! Go Red Riders!

eagle326
04-27-2013, 12:25 PM
Got your P.M. Stormy ; Sent reply.

Grumpy Old Man
04-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Choices has always been my favorite from the Possum! But another song that is particularly poignant now is "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes". I hope you and Tammy are together again Possum. RIP

Stormfeather
04-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Went out with some friends to kareoke last night, was amazed at the amount of George Jones songs being sang, especially from all the younger singers! Nice to know his music truly does span the generations!