PDA

View Full Version : Full Circle

The Stig
04-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Some of you may have noticed I've been rather quiet lately. Needed to step back and bit and recharge.

While on this mini-sabbatical I've realized something. Something that I wanted to share with the colony. Perhaps you'll find it thought provoking. Perhaps it will spur discussion. Perhaps it will further reinforce your opinion that I am an idiot.

Like many people, when I first started thinking about SHTF I immediately jumped into a very specific mindset. Partly this was fostered by the environment of my home-forum at the time, mostly it was based on ignorance. That mindset was nothing but BOBs, bugging out, fighting running gun battles, fighting off waves of zombies, visions of living off the land in secluded hidden locations, etc. Not knowing any better I had the best bug out bags that Condor, Cheaper Than Dirt and LA Police Gear could provide me. My firearms were a kickass Bushmaster run dry as bone with a $50 red dot. I had army surplus bayonets as "short swords". My med kit was a couple of bandaids and my footwear was the best $20 boots Walmart had to offer.

Somehow, with no training, subpar equipment, a wife & newborn baby, I was going to go all lone wolf and single handedly fight off wave after wave of attackers. It was retarded.

Over time I learned all the lessons.

I learned that cheap gear fails more quickly than quality. I learned that blasting a couple of tin cans is not the same as training with a weapon. I learned that basics like water, food and medical supplies are as critical as ammo. I learned that good training was worth every penny. I learned that proper footwear and clothing are essential no matter what the situation. I learned that bugging out, for my specific situation, isn't a very viable plan and shifted towards a shelter in place. I learned that a plan to deal with the zombie invasion doesn't mean dick if I can't handle a hurricane or forest fire. I learned that SHTF wasn't one specific type of event, but rather anything from the mundane to the catastrophic.

I slowly shifted from a "one man army" mindset to a "how can I be ready to deal with the broadest spectrum of threats possible" one. I'd like to think I matured. I went from pretending I was going to be in a RedDawn/Mad-Max remake to realistically evaluating what threats we faced and how best to deal with them.

That's part of how this website came to be.

So for the past several years The Stig's household has focused on how to deal with hurricanes, forest fires, home invasions, robberies, medical emergencies, etc. Generators were acquired, structures hardened, we moved to a much more favorable part of the country, etc. All great stuff. All skills we fully intend to keep developing.

But I've noticed something in the past six months.

I'm back to preparing to fight again.

Now, I'm sharing this with the reminder that this website does not deal with political issues or promoting militia like activities. So I have no intention of setting off those types of discussions.

Now I have the quality gear. Now I have the quality weapons. Now I have a scattering of knowledge of fighting techniques. Now I have the basics of proper clothing, food, water and medical supplies. Now I have the personal protective gear. I have the force multipliers.

Perhaps most importantly, I've set The Stig family up for success to support me with supplies and knowledge.

Please, please, please do not get me wrong. In NO WAY am I suggesting I am a lone-warrior ready to go all ninja. In NO WAY am I suggesting that I am ready to do the battle that so many veteran members of this board have actually done.

All I am saying is that I am realizing that when I started out in the "prepping lifestyle" I had fantasy mental-masturbation ideas about handling the worst survival type situations. I am realizing now, many years later, that I'm in a far better position to actually participate in the fight if push came to shove. That because I focused on the basic building blocks that I'm in a position now to perhaps actually be effective when needed (for how long is another question).

And in many ways I think those skills, limited as they are, may be called up at some point in my lifetime.

So....full circle.

2die4
04-28-2013, 11:35 PM
I thought the same way when I first got started. Facing two hurricanes and some fierce snowstorms in the pass 3years I realize how ill prepared the State and County are. I shifted my focus to sustainment of my family vs being locked,cocked and ready to rock for the Zombie Apocalypse.

helomech
04-29-2013, 12:12 AM
Well I had been preparing for hurricanes my entire life, and have always like guns and shooting. So I was prepping before I knew what prepping was. We always kept extra food, gas, generators, oil lanterns and so on for emergencies. Now I am more focused on being self sustained. As soon as my aquaponics system is up and running on solar and wind, I will be in good shape. During hurricane Katrina my focused turned more to defense. During the aftermath I was ready to fight the police that where going door to door confiscating guns. We got word of it, and a bunch of us got together and decided we would not allow that to happen. Luckily they never came to my door, because I had planned to fight to the death. So now I have added that to my priorities.

Sniper-T
04-29-2013, 02:19 AM
To everything...
turn, turn, turn...

The best part of life is learning. once you quit that, well... you're dead!

Sounds like you made a great personal growth Stig!

Booya!

Stormfeather
04-29-2013, 02:25 AM
Its amazing how that happens, people start out thinking they are the one man wolf pack, and then slowly start coming around to realizing that prepping isnt about that. Prepping is about gaining a skillset to survive. A skillset, just like anything else, if not practiced, if not used, goes by the wayside and you lose it.
Im glad to hear you made that turn around the corner Stig, now you know what its like to actually be ready for battle!

Grumpy Old Man
04-29-2013, 03:05 AM
I will require more thought before I can adequately comment on this with the usual degree of clarity which characterizes some of my posts. What I can say is that this is a well thought out examination of a man's journey and how it has affected him in his thinking and actions. Kudos Indeed!!

LUNCHBOX
04-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Stig....congrats. As many of us have said, I think you have come to know how it feels to honestly live a prepper lifestyle. It sounds as if you have bettered not only yourself but your family AND anyone else that may meet up with you should something happen.

ak474u
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Me too. Guns and ammo are more fun than bean, rice, and ramen noodle storage, so it's kinda the natural progression of prepping. My plans for preparedness, while guns and ammo are always a factor, have turned toward the ability to GTFO in a reasonable amount of time, and prioritizing equipment and supplies for that.