PDA

View Full Version : Manwich for small animals

rentprop1
04-29-2013, 01:04 PM
no this isn't a joke, wife got several cans of Manwich on sale for like $ .69 cents each, I figured god forbid Squirrel Manwich doesn't sound like a bad dinner choice if thing ever got down to it.

anyone else keep a few cans around, worst case Rat or Pigeon Manwich might be something they could sell in a Chinese restaurant ....lol

Taz Baby
04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't know about squirrel Or eeewww the other ones mentioned but I have used rabbit in it and that was taste. Also have used turkey, chicken and turtle,I grounded the meat of course.

While living in Belize I made ground meat from this and used it as you would hamburger.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b6/Wet-capyvara-in-Brazil.jpg/800px-Wet-capyvara-in-Brazil.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara
They taste goo0d in everything.

ElevenBravo
04-29-2013, 07:02 PM
I too vote for the hamburger style meal mixes (Manwich, Hamburger Helper, etc..) for anything that you may harvest.

I once got some venison from a co-worker... it was pretty gamey so I used Hamburger Helper.. It helped it out a lot. I guess not everyone soaks there game in salt water. Dohno...

Anyway, I agree!

EB

izzyscout21
04-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I like hamburger helper, but I find Manwich absolutely revolting

Grumpy Old Man
04-29-2013, 11:14 PM
A squirrel sandwich is just a sandwich, but a squirrel manwich is a meal!

Sniper-T
04-30-2013, 12:49 AM
...I once got some venison from a co-worker... it was pretty gamey so I used Hamburger Helper.. It helped it out a lot. I guess not everyone soaks there game in salt water. Dohno...

EB

:eek: Your friend hunting in a pine bush? I have never soaked any of my game meat in Salt water, ever! Most people don't believe I am feeding them wild game. I'm not sure what I do different, but my wife approves!

Never heard of manwich. but I keep a decent supply of HB helper. or just make it. dice up some veggies, fry with the meat, add water and some stock, throw in some pasta, and when it is almost ready, dump in a can of tomatoes!

Works well with rice too.

LUNCHBOX
04-30-2013, 06:20 AM
I like the hamburger helper meals also, I will also add different meats to some easy made pasta meals.

Stormfeather
04-30-2013, 06:23 PM
I always soak any wild caught animal, be it footed game or finned, in salt water. Removes pretty much all the "gamieness" out of it and leaves the meat flavor the way it should be enjoyed. But, different strokes for different folks!

LUNCHBOX
05-03-2013, 09:47 AM
^^^^I've heard buttermilk works also....of course salt water would be much cheaper and works fine also.

Evolver
05-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Agreed! We even started brining our Turkey and it's dang good that way.

Stormfeather
05-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Never thought about Turkey. . . .

Grumpy Old Man
05-06-2013, 01:48 AM
I always brine before smoking or barbecuing. Not so much so for grilling. It is essential for smoking fish, IMNSHO.

robsdak
07-14-2013, 06:03 AM
necro post? : ) manwich and deer meat is good. soaking in saltwater? we (they) soak in milk around here, me not so much. just hang and clean properly soaking is not needed. back to meal preps. the hamburger helper meals are OK in a pinch.

David Armstrong
07-14-2013, 08:35 PM
A heads-up on the Hamburger Helper. They are re-branding the stuff to make it more attractive to modern on-the-go parents. As a result, lots of stores are doing fire-sales on the old version. Our local mart was selling them out at $.75/box, no limit.

Possom
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
I like bear-wich. Ground black bear meat makes a good hamburger replacement. Alas I am out of bear meat until next season though :(

izzyscout21
07-14-2013, 10:21 PM
A heads-up on the Hamburger Helper. They are re-branding the stuff to make it more attractive to modern on-the-go parents. As a result, lots of stores are doing fire-sales on the old version. Our local mart was selling them out at $.75/box, no limit.Did not know this..........

izzyscout21
07-14-2013, 10:22 PM
AS much as you guys keep talking about manwich, I still think its gross.I'll just eat it with ketchup or just plain charred before I eat the manwich

David Armstrong
07-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Did not know this..........
May not have happened over your way yet. I got the info from a local store manager that is a friend who gives me a heads-up every now and then. If it is like most rollouts/rebrands it is done by distributor within region so it may take a while before it is nationwide. Worth keeping an eye out, though, IMO.

izzyscout21
07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
thanks for the intel. Much appreciated. Im going to be on the lookout