PDA

View Full Version : Medical appliances needed for personal survival

Grumpy Old Man
06-17-2011, 08:00 PM
In another thread on job skills as I replied I listed my drawbacks. One of those was my vision isn't what it once was and another was having a number of broken bones over the years from horses. This led me to consider what medical appliances I use daily that may not be readily available when TSHTF. First thing is eyeglasses; I usually get 3 packs of 1.75 reading glasses at China Mart. I'm currently down to my last pair out of the 3 pack and so need to stock up again. When I do, I'll buy several 3 packs of 1.75s as well as 2.00s and 2.25s anticipating that my eyesight will continue to get worse as I age.

I have several crowns on my teeth, so I need to have cement to glue them down should they come loose. I also think I may look for a pair of crutches at garage sales in case of injury requiring me to stay of a foot. Those are the only ones I could think immediately, but I'm sure the brain trust we have here will give more insight into this topic.

What about you? Do you have medical appliances you need other than what I covered, Also remember that appliances covers many things other than machines.

bacpacker
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Good question! First thing that comes to mind would be some braces for Ankle, Knee, elbow, & wrist. Sometimes a little support along with treatment will get you over something quickly.
Disposable gloves, I use these for a lot of things on a fairly regular basis now. They certainly help keep the spread of disease down.
Hearing aid batteries if applicable to the individuals family.
Super Glue for fixing cuts at leaast temperarily
Bubble wrap for immobilizing fractures and such
Duct Tape useful for many things
Q tips
Saftey Pins
Cane, sometimes a better alternative than crutches
Not all of these really fit your question, but came to mind while pondering the question.

Grumpy Old Man
06-17-2011, 10:19 PM
On the contrary BP! I think your suggestions are exactly what I was looking for using my expanded definition. Thank you!

HighSpeedLowDrag
06-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Good question! First thing that comes to mind would be some braces for Ankle, Knee, elbow, & wrist. Sometimes a little support along with treatment will get you over something quickly.
Disposable gloves, I use these for a lot of things on a fairly regular basis now. They certainly help keep the spread of disease down.
Hearing aid batteries if applicable to the individuals family.
Super Glue for fixing cuts at leaast temperarily
Bubble wrap for immobilizing fractures and such
Duct Tape useful for many things
Q tips
Saftey Pins
Cane, sometimes a better alternative than crutches
Not all of these really fit your question, but came to mind while pondering the question.

I love using nitrile gloves the best.

Also if someone has a history of high bp then a bp monitor wouldn't be a bad idea, though digital in long term scenarios, batteries will become an issue, so a aneroid monitor would be ideal.

Blood glucose monitors and test strips for diabetics.

A handful of instant ice-packs in case of any type of injury where swelling will occur will come in handy.

Also some type of ventilator with tank (though it might have to be no larger than 682 Liters which roughly weighs about 7.9 pounds) and only used when really needed the most) could be a life savor depending on the severity and unexpected circumstances that could arise.

Just a few things that popped in my head for now.

LUNCHBOX
06-20-2011, 08:27 PM
GOMan, Emergency Essentials has a temp filling that could come in handy for you. It would be great if you found a portable oxygen machine w/tanks after it kicked off.

getreadyorgetdead
09-21-2011, 10:17 AM
A military surplus stretcher can come in handy and they fold up . My father was a medic we had a lot of those od green wraps they can be used as slings ,,wrapped around sticks they are splints they have a million uses

The Stig
09-21-2011, 01:51 PM
A military surplus stretcher can come in handy and they fold up . My father was a medic we had a lot of those od green wraps they can be used as slings ,,wrapped around sticks they are splints they have a million uses

Excellent point. Hauling around unconscious/heavily injured people sucks rocks without a stretcher or some other load carrying device.

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Excellent point. Hauling around unconscious/heavily injured people sucks rocks without a stretcher or some other load carrying device.

Good God, does it ever.

Stormfeather
09-30-2011, 09:27 PM
A simple field expedient stretcher can be made with a blanket/poncho and poles, works really good in a pinch!

ladyhk13
09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
On the point of gloves it would be a good idea to have a box of latex free on hand for those who are allergic. My sister is highly allergic and if something with latex just touches her she blisters up like acid was poured on her. I always think about if I came across or had to treat other people when I have been putting our medical kits together since we have medical background ya never know when an emergency could happen and you are the only one around to help. Also a CPR mask is good to have...it protects you from having to have any physical contact with a pt. (saliva or blood) while doing CPR. It's very small and I believe worth having in your kit.

bacpacker
10-01-2011, 01:54 AM
Stormy did you find that in a by scout handbook? When I was in the scouts I remember seeing a diagram for making one like that. I need to look that up.
Lady great point about the latex. I worked with a girl who was allergic to Latex. She told horror stories. The CPR mask as well. I have started putting them in most all our 1st aid kits and our big medical BOB.

Stormfeather
10-03-2011, 05:43 AM
Stormy did you find that in a by scout handbook? When I was in the scouts I remember seeing a diagram for making one like that. I need to look that up.
Lady great point about the latex. I worked with a girl who was allergic to Latex. She told horror stories. The CPR mask as well. I have started putting them in most all our 1st aid kits and our big medical BOB.

No, was one of those things our medic showed us one time, that we all laughed at her about, til she made us actually do it to prove her point. (Shes a bit stubborn that way) Then we found out it wasnt hard to do, and was easy to make!