PDA

View Full Version : Stacking buckets with Gamma lids...

ElevenBravo
05-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Ive got the standard lids right now, I *know* the buckets will stack no problems, thinking about getting some Gamma lids.

Can buckets be stacked properly with these lids?

Thanks...
EB

Willie51
05-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Yes, they stack very well.

Stormfeather
05-23-2013, 03:47 AM
They stack just fine, Ive got about 20 with gamma lids and they stack just fine, no wobble if thats what you are talking about.

David Armstrong
05-24-2013, 04:01 PM
I've got mine stacked 3 high and have seen no problems.

Illini Warrior
05-25-2013, 01:45 AM
the centers can bow from stacked weight and the gasket will lose its seal .... the bucket integrity is vital to get the full storage longevity .... if that's the case you might as well be putting the food/mylar bag in a WallyWorld tote .... likewise for goods being protected against humidity

can I ask .... what's the purpose of going to a Gamma? .... great invention ..... wonderful for eazy access .... but for long term storage of food & goods there's no need to break into the buckets for a 10-15-20-25 years .... Gammas are 4X the cost of a standard gasketed locking lid .... better to spend the saved $$$$ on other preps

I keep certain goods, like one of my ammo cache in a bucket with a Gamma ..... same with my pandemic supplies, rad protection, hand tools ect ect .... the stuff that needs a quik goooo ..... best not to have tons stacked on top

AlphaTea
05-25-2013, 05:51 PM
A stack of 4 is as high as I usually go. Never had a problem with the weight.
Once, right after I first got into serious prepping, I noticed the bottom bucket on a stack looked like it was collapsing.
This bucket had rice in it. Barley, wheat and pinto's were in the other 3. I usually only use the Gamma seals for my first use/in use buckets.
Anyway, the sides of this bucket are collapsed way in to the point that failure is eminent, so I try to screw the lid off and it aint budging.
I get the rubber mallet and give it a few whacks. As the lid starts to turn I hear this hissing sound and the sides of the bucket straighten up. I screwed the lid completely off and discovered the mylar bag still intact at a full vacuum. The O2 absorber worked pretty well inside.
Unfortunately, while prepping the bucket, I must have accidentally dropped an O2 absorber outside the bag but inside the bucket. With the lid screwed on, it sucked the bucket down just like it was a mylar bag. Yes, the gamma seal held, with a fair vacuum on one side and 100+pounds on the other side. YMMV

Stormfeather
05-27-2013, 04:20 AM
A stack of 4 is as high as I usually go. Never had a problem with the weight.
Once, right after I first got into serious prepping, I noticed the bottom bucket on a stack looked like it was collapsing.
This bucket had rice in it. Barley, wheat and pinto's were in the other 3. I usually only use the Gamma seals for my first use/in use buckets.
Anyway, the sides of this bucket are collapsed way in to the point that failure is eminent, so I try to screw the lid off and it aint budging.
I get the rubber mallet and give it a few whacks. As the lid starts to turn I hear this hissing sound and the sides of the bucket straighten up. I screwed the lid completely off and discovered the mylar bag still intact at a full vacuum. The O2 absorber worked pretty well inside.
Unfortunately, while prepping the bucket, I must have accidentally dropped an O2 absorber outside the bag but inside the bucket. With the lid screwed on, it sucked the bucket down just like it was a mylar bag. Yes, the gamma seal held, with a fair vacuum on one side and 100+pounds on the other side. YMMV

This may explain why one of my buckets is doing the same exact thing!