PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any chemical plants in your area?

The Stig
05-31-2013, 06:39 PM
The Bhopal disaster, also referred to as the Bhopal gas tragedy, was a gas leak incident in India, considered the world's worst industrial disaster.

It occurred on the night of 2–3 December 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Over 500,000 people were exposed to methyl isocyanate gas and other chemicals. The toxic substance made its way in and around the shantytowns located near the plant.

Estimates vary on the death toll. The official immediate death toll was 2,259. The government of Madhya Pradesh confirmed a total of 3,787 deaths related to the gas release. Others[who?] estimate 8,000 died within two weeks and another 8,000 or more have since died from gas-related diseases.

A government affidavit in 2006 stated the leak caused 558,125 injuries including 38,478 temporary partial injuries and approximately 3,900 severely and permanently disabling injuries.

More info HERE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster)

Do you have any chemical plants in your area?

How would you find out?

Do you know the types of chemicals they are working with?

Was in a discussion with Brother Izzy and this topic came up.

Stormfeather
05-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Only chemical plants near me are the organic methane producers, and they go "moooo..."

The Stig
05-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Only chemical plants near me are the organic methane producers, and they go "moooo..."

Mobile threats dude....check your six.

bacpacker
05-31-2013, 07:13 PM
Along the same lines, railways, interstates, and to some degree rivers with barge traffic. They all haul various chemicals and on trains in particular they have some super nasty blends.

Also if you are with 5-10 miles of them and your place is "downhill" from them keep in mind the vapors can settle to low areas.

Excellent thread.

Domeguy
05-31-2013, 07:50 PM
We have the Jack Daniels plant in our area of the dome, about a 15 minute drive away, but Mrs. Dome works in the doctors office just a block away from it. If they had a leak, folks would just pour in from miles around to fill their empty bottles up.:)
But seriously, they have (and I'm just guessing here) 30-50 giant storage buildings where they age the whiskey, each holding thousands of barrels of highly explosive whiskey , scattered all over the county.
About a year ago, a private contract trucker overturned his rig, which was stacked full of cases of Jacks Old #7, fresh out of the bottling plant, and turned it over in a corn field about 2 miles from the dome. They had to shut down the road for about 12 hrs. for fear of an explosion. You could still smell where it overturned for a couple of months later.

Katrina
06-01-2013, 04:07 AM
No chemical plants that I know of but we have three auto factories in town and a rail line running about a block from my house.

mitunnelrat
06-01-2013, 04:12 AM
Yup. Natural gas and petroleum refineries being two of the largest. Might be I'm also in close proximity to a bit of chlorine, and have one of the only international border crossings for chemicals in my area as well.

There is a metric shit ton of chemicals and hazardous waste ppassing through here daily.

bacpacker
06-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Rat that sounds rough lots o bad things there.

MegaCPC
06-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm about 25 miles from 2 chemical storage facilities, one for ammonia and the other for propionaldehyde, I think.

I keep an eye on the wind forecasts.

on trains in particular they have some super nasty blends.

This. I've stopped for trains with radioactive and bio-hazard markers on them, always thought about what kind of chaos would ensue if one of them wrecked and spilled its cargo.

bacpacker
06-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Radioactive stuff is typically sealed in pretty tough containers then loaded. Chemicals not so much.

20mm
06-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Yup. Los Alamos, NM. Plutonium factory. I am planning to move.

David Armstrong
06-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Here in SW Louisiana it is a regular soup; petro-chemical plants all over the place, one of the major natural gas distributor points in the U.S., all sorts of poly-vinyl, PCBs, vinyl, plastics, and assorted others.

The Stig
06-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Yup. Los Alamos, NM. Plutonium factory. I am planning to move.

:eek:

You win. Yikes.

Echo2
06-02-2013, 03:03 AM
a couple miles from a chlorine bottling plant.

Also have train tracks right out the front door....50 meters.

mitunnelrat
06-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Rat that sounds rough lots o bad things there.

It is, but I breathe a little easier since I moved well upwind.

msomnipotent
06-04-2013, 03:54 AM
I thought someone, somewhere, posted a website that showed all the plants within a zip code. I know I was surrounded in all directions.

Echo2
06-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Chlorine filters will be here next week....

New mask in mail today.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/newmasks_zps275ad114.jpg

bacpacker
06-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Whats your source for those Echo?

Looking back through this thread i realized I hadn't answered the OP. I have a major river 1.5 miles from me that has a decent amount of barge traffic on it. About 4 miles the other side of the river is a heavily used Rail line. Opposite direction is another rail line about 3 miles off. I have a small research reactor about 15 miles to the north/northwest. Various other bad things around. The rail lines worry me more than anything.

We had a train derailment across the river several years ago that spilled two different gases. We were within 1/2 mile of having to evacuate.

Echo2
06-08-2013, 03:48 AM
vigilant searches on ebay and AR15 equipment exchanges....along with a couple friends keeping eyes on a couple surplus stores.

filters coming from a connection at a local paper mill.

My goal is 10 masks...slowly but surely.

Echo2
06-08-2013, 12:54 PM
BTW....The first thing you need to do is determine the type of mask you want.

IMO....the 40MM NATO canisters are the easiest to obtain...so a mask that fits those would be warranted.

The M-40A1 are a very versatile mask....a bit pricey....but well made.

Once you figure out what mask you want....you need to search constantly....you will find the price points all over the place.

I gave $150 for a brand new in sealed package....but have got all the others for well under $100...one for under $50....yet have seen used for over $350...go figure.

Look at what happened to prices of masks after the Japan Nuclear disaster...they went through the roof....get it now before they either outlaw them or they are too expensive to obtain.

izzyscout21
06-08-2013, 02:59 PM
There's several good masks listed on the EE on ar15.com right now.