PDA

View Full Version : Natural disaster

Possom
06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
How prepared are you for a natural disaster? For instance. As of right now my mother and father in law are cut off from the rest of the county by flooding taking out the bridges going both directions on the highway from their house. Currently they are missing 30 head of cattle that were taken by the river. Electric and phone service is cut off because the storm washed out all the lines.

There was no warning of the severity of this storm. Fourche river rose from 3 feet to over 30 feet in about three hours. Houses all along Fourche river and mill creek have been wiped out. The loss of life stands at 5 right now. Our county sheriff, a local wildlife officer, and 3 civilians.

If you live close to a river or creek, even if you are not listed as a flood plain. Please take into consideration how rapidly water levels can rise and prep for it. Have an evacuation route in mind that does not require you crossing low land or bridges. Be vigilant. Our sheriff , a dear friend of mine, lost his life attempting to rescue two women who were trapped in their home when the water started to rise.

You can never be too prepared for something such as this.

Stormfeather
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
This is something that many of us need to be aware of. How easily and quickly a natural disaster can take place locally to us and displace any preps we may have set up for such a issue. While I am not actually set up too good for a flooding situation, Im located on pretty high ground versus my neighbors. I believe my house is set up about 35 feet in elevation over the nearest water source, and it is a small lake with a pretty extensive runoff area. The Mississippi River is about 40 miles away, but even then, I am still set up on a large hilly area, so I dont think I would ever have an issue. Theres two large populations between the Ole Miss and myself, so I think I will have plenty of warning unless its a river borne tsunami. Actually, come to think of it, I could be set up better than I think I am. I have at least 1000 sandbags, and the soil around here is a sandy soil mix anyways. So at least I can sandbag the house against rising water pretty easily.

helomech
06-03-2013, 06:17 PM
That is one of the main reasons I chose the area I live in. I left south east Louisiana because I got tired of flooding. Now I am about 200 miles from a shore, and over 500 feet above sea level. I am also in the highest spot in my county, so for my house to flood the nearest town would have to have 100 feet of water in it, and it has never flooded. So I am good there, just need a storm shelter and I am all set for those types of things.

Hope your family comes out safe and sound.

Possom
07-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Well as of a couple of days ago all the main bridges have been repaired. A few of the secondary roads are still without bridges. My wife and I took the old CJ7 through one of them a week or so ago. Took some serious work to get through them in 4 low.

I took these the day after the storm. The normal water level is about 20 foot below the bridge.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/cox-adam/873F5762-E55A-46F7-A062-BD48D97E2B05-598-000000ED2D6B0905_zps106989f5.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/cox-adam/243584BF-55AF-4CE0-8F11-7D170E4696DD-598-000000ED2A13BAB0_zpsa906aad2.jpg

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz87/cox-adam/C5BB10B0-3B09-4C1F-833C-E0A0A5E3146A-598-000000ED259670A3_zpsfb45f2be.jpg

Marthony
07-06-2013, 01:43 AM
The apartment building is on a flood plain, with the Bow river about 200M away. If our area had received the rainfall that the town 20KM East did, I don't know what state the building would be in. I'm looking at revamping how my basement storage cage items are in a different way; 1' above the floor is good for minor floods, but after recent events I must now plan for 'the big one'.

Thankfully my wife is now receptive to preparedness and will understand the waterproof bins that I'll soon be buying..!

Yes, I'll be watching for a decent place away from the river to move to...

MegaCPC
07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
Where I live, earthquakes and tsunamis are the main concern. I'm pretty confident in my earthquake preps, and I do have a small mountain range as a barrier against the waves.

My biggest concerns stem from too many people trying to get to safety at one time.

izzyscout21
07-17-2013, 09:31 PM
It's tornadoes here as my main concern.

I've got a bunker for that.

David Armstrong
07-18-2013, 03:12 PM
The apartment building is on a flood plain, with the Bow river about 200M away. If our area had received the rainfall that the town 20KM East did, I don't know what state the building would be in. I'm looking at revamping how my basement storage cage items are in a different way; 1' above the floor is good for minor floods, but after recent events I must now plan for 'the big one'.

Thankfully my wife is now receptive to preparedness and will understand the waterproof bins that I'll soon be buying..!

Yes, I'll be watching for a decent place away from the river to move to...
Not waterproof but definitely water resistant, ordinary bins but with the contents in a sealed heavy lawn-leaf bag placed inside another sealed lawn-leaf bag. We stored a lot of stuff that way on the farm just put into one of those normal blue steri-lite totes. Even after being under water for 2 days there was very little water seepage.

Gunfixr
07-23-2013, 01:04 AM
We've lived in our location for 13yrs now, and it was listed as a flood zone when we moved in. A couple yrs ago, they changed it. We were at the highest end of flood zone, meaning probably least likely to flood. Nonetheless, I have been able to look out all windows and see just water on one or two occasions over the years. It never lasted more than a few hours, so no big deal. The big thing here is hurricanes in the summer, and nor'easters (basically a winter hurricane) in the winter. The nor'easters tend to do more damage.

We do keep prepared for these, as here in the city, once everybody actually believes it's coming, they go clean out the stores. We are just prepared to live without power, or even coolers of ice. Past experience has shown that ice is very difficult to get, due to the amount of people who show up to get it, versus what is available to get. That, combined with the large percentage of "entitlement" crowd leaves nothing for the rest of us. We just don't need it, and so it's not an issue.