PDA

View Full Version : Cpr instructions and guidelines: A free online basic training course

Taz Baby
06-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Just sharing this

http://preparedforthat.com/cpr-instructions-and-guidelines-a-free-online-basic-training-course/

Twitchy
06-12-2013, 02:34 AM
That is outdated information, with a couple of scary bits in there too... I HIGHLY suggest utilizing the AHA approved methods for CPR unless trained to a different standard as a professional. Tip for anyone that winds up in a CPR situation, no mouth to mouth... that is how you get nasty incurable diseases... There is also decent evidence suggesting there is enough Oxygen in the blood stream to keep someone going without rescue breathing already, as long as they get advanced medical treatment as soon as possible (read 10-15 minutes) which is likely to occur in most situations. One of the biggest things I cannot stress enough, is if the patient is pulseless and apneic, DO NOT DELAY COMPRESSIONS. none of the pinch the nose and what not business... its pointless... Compressions should also continuous unless trained to use a BVM or barrier device to protect yourself from exposure... Often times patients in cardiac arrest will vomit because of excess air entering the stomach due to forced respirations. Hence, why there is now an emphasis on hands only CPR... the 2 inch rule and location was spot on... push hard and fast as you want atleast 100 compressions per minute, if not more... Didn't mean to stomp on any toes Taz, just want to make sure people are safe and know the right info... :)

Obviously, on an internet forum i am not giving out medical advice. To end this monster of a post, I suggest taking an approved CPR course and first aid course at the minimum if you are serious about prepping... I would really recommend you get your EMT or higher as it also offers a career opportunity if you are young enough... there are never enough skilled and qualified EMS professionals....

Twitchy
06-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Yall cursed me...

Taz Baby
06-18-2013, 12:46 AM
sorry I didn't know that. thanks for setting me straight. guess you can delete this thread

Twitchy
06-18-2013, 02:09 AM
sorry I didn't know that. thanks for setting me straight. guess you can delete this thread

No its not a problem, As the video still provides some good info, and a topic that generates some pretty good conversation :)

Now, y'all REALLY cursed me... for real :( lol...

Twitchy
06-18-2013, 03:25 AM
A question I'd like to pitch if tis okay... Has anyone here ever done CPR? Other than apssbc since hes a career medic IIRC...

Katrina
06-18-2013, 03:47 AM
yes but it was over 30 years ago as Pop and I were taking my mother to hospital. did mouth to mouth and compressions. wasn't easy as we are in the car but Dr said I did keep mom going. he also said if her heart hadn't collapsed , she would have made it. but years of asthma attacks had weakened her heart very badly.

Twitchy
06-18-2013, 04:03 AM
Man that's awful... Lots have changed in 30 years though, thats for sure...

Katrina
06-18-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm sure that due to the newer health issues, training has differed over the years. I'd better see that I get myself in for refresher on CPR training. The only other thing I've done is theheimlich on a friend chocking on a wad of beef at a convention we were at. I'm a small woman and he was over 300 lbs, good thing I am blessed with "boarding house-" reach. I barely was able to get around him to do the maneuver'but I was able to do it and as he would tell anyone listening"saved" him. After I sat back down and finished my dinner,didn't think about it, just did it.I tend to freak out after the fact, do the job, think about it later. Guess that's part of being the eldest of 6 kids and being the responsible one. lol

Twitchy
06-20-2013, 04:25 AM
I'm sure that due to the newer health issues, training has differed over the years. I'd better see that I get myself in for refresher on CPR training. The only other thing I've done is theheimlich on a friend chocking on a wad of beef at a convention we were at. I'm a small woman and he was over 300 lbs, good thing I am blessed with "boarding house-" reach. I barely was able to get around him to do the maneuver'but I was able to do it and as he would tell anyone listening"saved" him. After I sat back down and finished my dinner,didn't think about it, just did it.I tend to freak out after the fact, do the job, think about it later. Guess that's part of being the eldest of 6 kids and being the responsible one. lol

Same here with the doing the job concept... I get it done, then I think about how crazy it was... lol...

ditchmedic
06-20-2013, 05:43 AM
A question I'd like to pitch if tis okay... Has anyone here ever done CPR? Other than apssbc since hes a career medic IIRC...

Far more than I care to. But again, I'm in EMS so I have more opportunities

Twitchy
06-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Far more than I care to. But again, I'm in EMS so I have more opportunities

As am i... Had my first Cardiac Arrest monday...

ladyhk13
06-22-2013, 06:47 PM
Yup, Army Combat Medic...long time ago. Worked ER and the Fire Depts, took a couple of refresher CPR certs but the last one was in 2004 so things have changed even since then. They didn't do bare mouth to mouth then, we got the barrier device and I still have that. The thing that never changes in class is:
ANNIE, ANNIE.......ARE YOU ALL RIGHT? ARE YOU ALL RIGHT????????????????????????????????? Arg!!!!!!!!!

Twitchy
06-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Yup, Army Combat Medic...long time ago. Worked ER and the Fire Depts, took a couple of refresher CPR certs but the last one was in 2004 so things have changed even since then. They didn't do bare mouth to mouth then, we got the barrier device and I still have that. The thing that never changes in class is:
ANNIE, ANNIE.......ARE YOU ALL RIGHT? ARE YOU ALL RIGHT????????????????????????????????? Arg!!!!!!!!!

haha, mouth to mouth is back to being a taboo deal... dont get caught doing it down here unless you want to be collecting food stamps...

swamprat
06-14-2014, 05:43 PM
It is called Continuous chest compressions. Here is a good video about this process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5huVSebZpM

swamprat
06-14-2014, 05:48 PM
This method has been proven to work. Here is a video of a complete flatlined individual for more then an hour and came back to life and kept his brain intact with no damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qC8_1u13s

Twitchy
06-15-2014, 07:06 AM
This method has been proven to work. Here is a video of a complete flatlined individual for more then an hour and came back to life and kept his brain intact with no damage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qC8_1u13s

While it works, CPR survival rates are still quite low... This was an exception to the majority of Cardiac Arrests... In a survival situation, CPR is essentially useless unless you have a trained team of providers with the needed drugs and equipment to support resuscitation and post resuscitation measures and procedures... Even then, you have to correct the initial cause of cardiac arrest, which is highly unlikely to happen in a survival situation.

Edit: Well, apparently this thread popped back up 2 days shy of a year from my first code I worked...

Sniper-T
06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
I've done it a couple of times back in my lifeguarding days. I taught both CPR and first aid for a number of years as well, I have no 'immediate' use for them now, but I still do my recerts as required. Never a bad thing.

It is amazing to think how much CPR has changed over the years, yet how much has stayed the same. If you have an AED arround, they up the chances of survival exponentially, if administered properly. A lot of regular businesses and public venues have them already, and more are putting them in regularly. If you can take a course on administering them, I would highly recommend it.
The life you save, may be your loved one.

Stormfeather
06-18-2014, 03:05 PM
I keep wanting to look into purchasing a AED just to have one. . .I may have to ask Kuhldude about that and see if he can get me a discount!

Twitchy
06-20-2014, 07:53 AM
I keep wanting to look into purchasing a AED just to have one. . .I may have to ask Kuhldude about that and see if he can get me a discount!

Expensive, as are the pads... about 150 bucks a pop... batteries aren't cheap either... Wish they were cheaper to make them more common in public places...

swamprat
06-20-2014, 11:46 PM
This one is 290.00 with oxygen
http://www.heartsmart.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=LIFE-O2-LSS

Twitchy
06-21-2014, 05:37 AM
This one is 290.00 with oxygen
http://www.heartsmart.com/mobile/product.aspx?ProductCode=LIFE-O2-LSS

Medical gasses require a prescription... Not entirely sure it actually contains O2...