PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried mylar bags in a Food Saver sealer ??

rentprop1
06-23-2013, 05:50 AM
we got one of those Food Saver sealer things at Sam's club, has anyone tried using the thing to suck the air out and then seal Mylar bags ...I wanted to know if it works before I order bags, I did a test of the food saver bags and they hold up OK

ElevenBravo
06-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Wont work, wont work, wont work... Dont even waste the time plugging one up. Theres bunches of details on just that question on the Enternet...

1) It cannot vacuum out the air
2) Its not hot enough to seal

Im still new on the mylar scene, but trust me... A hair straightner is by far the easiest & best goof proof method of sealing! Toss in an 02 absorber (I strictly use HotHands) and your 100% good to go!

HTH,
EB

Illini Warrior
06-25-2013, 09:42 PM
on the 5 mil mylar bags you might be able to a quiky seal on your gallon & 1/2 gallon bags .... depends on your FoodSaver heating element .... you would then need to go back and widen that heat seal with your impulse sealer, iron, hair straitner ect ect .... you want a 3/4 to 1 inch wide heat seal ALWAYS ...

always remember you are under a 15 minute time limit for the "open air" exposure of the 02 absorbers .... a quiky temp seal allows you to process more bags quiker ...

ElevenBravo
06-26-2013, 01:24 AM
you might be able to

I already answer, I already tried it... you cannot with a common food saver et all. You need a quality impulse sealer, or a hair straightener... etc. As long as the seal is GOOD, a 5mm seal is sufficient.. a 1 inch seal is over kill unless your using a 1 inch hair straighter, etc..

EB

idahobob
06-26-2013, 04:38 PM
I already answer, I already tried it... you cannot with a common food saver et all. You need a quality impulse sealer, or a hair straightener... etc. As long as the seal is GOOD, a 5mm seal is sufficient.. a 1 inch seal is over kill unless your using a 1 inch hair straighter, etc..

EB

Hate to disagree with you bro, but, a food saver will work, you just have to seal twice in the same spot. Now, mylar bags that are are large, ie. for 5 and 6 gallon buckets take a different way because they are too wide to fit into the width of a food sealer. What we have done, and continue to do, is sealing the bag at about a 45 degree angle on each side, leaving an opening at the top to seal at the very last. Make sure that your oxygen absorbers are in and then push out as much air as you can, and then seal the top opening.

I got started doing it this way because I already had a food saver, which by the way, we use quite extensively, and I really did not want to purchase another device when the the food saver worked quite well after some experimentation.

Bob
III

ladyhk13
06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
We have a commercial grade sucky machine which is about as wide as a counter top....think we would have a problem with ours? BWRR bought me mylar bags and we never thought about having a problem.

ElevenBravo
06-27-2013, 01:13 AM
We have a commercial grade sucky machine which is about as wide as a counter top....think we would have a problem with ours? .

The only way to tell is to give it a try...

Mine is a basic model Food Saver brand it it will NOT seal my one gallon five mil bags, period... no matter how many times I try to "reseal" it...

I do have a 16" 5mm impulse sealer on the way, and will report on that in it's own thread.

I offer my personal experience for reference only.

HTH,
EB

rentprop1
06-27-2013, 04:03 AM
ok since this was my question, whats the harm in sealing rice, sugar, spices, seeds etc in just the food saver bags ??

Mylar can't be the end all be all in sealing of food stuffs ?

idahobob
06-27-2013, 02:20 PM
ok since this was my question, whats the harm in sealing rice, sugar, spices, seeds etc in just the food saver bags ??

Mylar can't be the end all be all in sealing of food stuffs ?

I do not know of any harm sealing your stuff in your food saver bags.

We vacuum seal rice, spices, sugar, etc, in Ball canning jars. It works well and you do not have to open a 5 or 6 gallon pail to get out what you need for the short term. That is not to say that we do not use pails for a lot of items, it just that using canning jars for some items makes it a bit handier.

I have read where some folks seal portion size amounts in food saver bags and then store a whole bunch of them in pails so rodents cannot get to them.

Bob
III

ElevenBravo
06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Ive personally found much more failures with Food Saver bags than I have with mylar bags... Im at the stage that Id only trust Food Saver bags for very very short term storage, and only mylar bags for long term storage.

Additionally, Ive yet to see any 5 mil food saver bags.. You can even get 7 mil mylar if you so desired.

YMMV

EB

rentprop1
07-01-2013, 03:30 AM
I could see people wanting a thicker mil bag, but I do plan to store these inside a 5 gal pail when finished