PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rodding a Power Drill Battery

Taz Baby
06-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Just thought I would pass this along in case no one knows this.

So, your power drill battery dies. What now? Fork over 85 bucks for a new one? I don't think so. After searching high and low on the internet for a good price for a replacment battery I found the retail for my Black & Decker 14.4V to range from 35-85 dollars. Riiiight. Time to make your own!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Hot-Rodding-a-Power-Drill-Battery/?ALLSTEPS

ak474u
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Pretty cool. FYI, Batteries Plus (I think a national chain) rebuilds drill batteries. I had my porter cable ones rebuilt 2 years ago, I think for $35 each. They were discontinued since the drill was made in 2000, so I had few options.

rentprop1
07-01-2013, 03:34 AM
Pretty cool. FYI, Batteries Plus (I think a national chain) rebuilds drill batteries.

those rip-artists quoted me $ 70 each for the same factory Ryobi batteries that lowes sells at $ 39 each.....they claim a better miliamp hour battery but couldn't or wouldn't tell me how much

I ended up switching to the one plus Lith-ion ...got a drill, impact driver , 2 batteries and charger for $ 99 for fathers day and the batteries work in all my old tools

ak474u
07-01-2013, 06:04 PM
those rip-artists quoted me $ 70 each for the same factory Ryobi batteries that lowes sells at $ 39 each.....they claim a better miliamp hour battery but couldn't or wouldn't tell me how much

I ended up switching to the one plus Lith-ion ...got a drill, impact driver , 2 batteries and charger for $ 99 for fathers day and the batteries work in all my old tools

Yeah, their prices have gone up here too. I only keep the porter cable because my dad gave it to me, and we used it building his house together before his health gave out. I've got a nice new drill thats lighter so less fatigue with continued usage during projects. All precision work is done with a drill press these days for me.