PDA

View Full Version : Bug-out Bag upgrade!

Richarddbeck
07-10-2013, 04:21 AM
So I got a lot of good feedback from you guys on my last Bug-out bag video... I learn that overall it sucked. :( Never fear.:D I've learn from my mistakes and I've UPGRADED!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqgKjjs9iuk

The Stig
07-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Looking forward to watching this!

Stormfeather
07-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Awesome video RB! I wanted to point out something that may help you, I noticed you have bug spray in a aerosol form. One of the things I use for bug spray in my BOB, is I have a metal spray bottle(WalMart, $1.99) filled with Listerine. You actually can use Listerine as a bug repellent. It actually works better than Deep Woods OFF, DEET, or any others that I know. I have some military issue stuff thats 75% DEET, and it works better than thats stuff! Anyways, with the Listerine, you have an extra hygiene item, and bug spray all in one! Hope this helps!

AlphaTea
07-11-2013, 06:30 AM
Most excellent RB! A lot of good thinking went into that.
Your bag does not suck. You are better off than 99.9%
A caution about products with DEET. If you have a DEET leak in your pack or onto any nylon/synthetic material, it will melt like it was put into a fire. Lose the can and get the small plastic bottle of 100% DEET. Seal it in a zip-loc bag. Far as i know it wont melt those.
The hand sanitizer will also start a fire easily.
I never used the wet fire, but I do use vaseline soaked cotton balls stored in film canisters. Lights real easy.
I am a big believer in zip-loc freezer bags.
You could save quite a bit of weight if you used zip-loc bags in place of your fire starting box, first aid box, fishing box, etc.
The Magnesium bar seems like a good idea, but I recommend you try it out. Not as easy as I thought it would be.
Ditch the large BIC for 3 smaller ones.
Get a Zip-loc for your sleeping bag. They do make them that big. If you are hoofing it in the rain etc, it will take forever to dry that out.
Did you have any 550 cord in there?
How many rounds of ammo?
Look at the travel size stuff at Walmart. Lots of cool stuff there.

Richarddbeck
07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys!
*My rope is sub par. I could really use some 550 para-cord.
*I like the bug replant ideas.
*As far as ammo I think I have about 2,000 rounds of .22 ammo and about 100 rounds of 9mm ammo. That's why my wife's bag is just a day pack.
*My pack looks heavy but I've carried it over a mile with very little effort. It REALLY distributes the weight really nicely. :) The heaviest thing I have currently is my hatchet. I'm considering ditching that for a machete or a large fixed blade knife.
*I agree it would be good to have some kind of water-proof cover for my sleeping bag if not for my entire pack. I'm gonna look into this.
*I also want to get some extra freezer bags. I agree they have a million uses.
*My magnesium fire starter has got some miles on it. I've used it a lot. You're correct on the "it's harder then it looks" lol

If you haven't used wetfire fire starters check my review below. It burns wet!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtdFi4Ma0IM

bacpacker
07-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Nice set up RB.

I highly recommend a good rain cover for the pack. They are light and don't cost much. Well worth it IMO. I also keep my sleeping bag in a water proof stuff sack for an extra layer. You don't want it to get wet.

I can see a few areas where you could drop some weight and bulk. The boxes and large size products could all be condensed freeing up more space and possible weight for other needed supplies, food, etc. Another item to consider. You have water tablets which are great for short term, on the move use, but I would suggest having a purifier as well. The tabs will run out and can cause issues if used for an extended period.

Lastly I like the looks of your headlamp. What brand and model is it.

Richarddbeck
07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure. I'll check when I get home. The head light was part of a mini survival kit my brother in-law got me in our Christmas exchange. http://www.vtarmynavy.com/hiker-in-a-bottle.htm

You make a good point about making things smaller. I was just thinking that my bandages don't need to be in the box. The Tylenol cold be in a labeled Ziploc bag.

What do you guys think about a Hatchet vs Machete? If you had to pick one which would you take?

I'll try and get a weight on my pack to see how much it weighs now.

Stormfeather
07-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Im a firm believer in both a hatchet and a machete, but I carry one, and the wife carries the other. You can get a decent machete thats pretty lightweight fro a good price nowadays with a little shopping around!

OP, pm me your address, ive got a good supply of paracord laying around here that I can flat rate box ya some if you want, and its actual .mil issue.

izzyscout21
07-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Im a firm believer in both a hatchet and a machete, but I carry one, and the wife carries the other. You can get a decent machete thats pretty lightweight fro a good price nowadays with a little shopping around!.

This^^
My wife carries the parang machete and I carry a tomahawk

Richarddbeck
07-15-2013, 05:15 PM
so about the weight of my pack... It turns out that we don't even own a scale. lol So I don't know. I could bring it to work and weight it but I'm guessing I'll just buy a scale someday. The wife and I don't really weigh ourselves.

Gunfixr
07-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Stormfeather- Listerine as a bug repellent?
Just spray it on or what?
What does it repel?
Spray bottle from Walmart? Like a pump sprayer, the kind hair spray comes in?

infamous1
07-25-2013, 12:10 AM
i bought a big ole bottle of listerine at target saturday just b/c of that post!! hope he didnt buy stock in listerine and trying to make a dollar haha!!