PDA

View Full Version : Summer heat

The Stig
07-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Simple question: how does the heat of summer change your prepping activities?

mitunnelrat
07-27-2013, 12:19 AM
It doesn't really make much of a difference for me, save for rotating seasonal items, but I'm not in the deep south, and when I'm fully on my game I intentionally choose really crappy weather to train outside. If I can adapt to and handle the extremes the rest should be easy, right?

helomech
07-27-2013, 12:36 AM
No effect on mine, that I am aware of.

Evolver
07-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Ditto to what mtr said and will add... we live in FL so hurricane preparedness is just the norm for the "hotter" months (wink).

Gunfixr
07-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Doesn't do much here, it's hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, so we have preps for both.

The big thing here is the humidity. You can go outside and actually feel it, the dampness.

bacpacker
07-27-2013, 01:48 AM
For starters, I highly dislike summer. That said, when it gets hot out I tend to spend much more time outside working in the garden, berry patch, orchard, vineyard, mowing, etc. And like Gunfixer, the humidity here in the summer generally runs 60-80%. Even when the temps are down, I'll be sweatin my ass off.
Which brings up a important point, you gotta stay hydrated when working out in this weather. Even more important in a SHTF situation. There is a high possibility of not having AC in that situation so cooling down easily will not be a possiblity. Having the knowledge to avoid and recognize heat related issues, stress and stroke, and how to treat them can be very important.

4suchatimeasthis
07-28-2013, 04:40 AM
I don't know that it relates to prepping much, but I agree with what's already been said. I live in the south, I was born and raised in northern Wisconsin. It's not an easy adjustment. So, yeah, I am not a big fan of the summers down here. The heat is one thing, but my gawd the humidity is brutal. My general rule of thumb is anything I have to do outside, I try to get done by 10am. The earlier the better. That means that lately in the morning I am out the door by 5am. I prefer to workout outdoors, but not kill myself in the elements, which would defeat the purpose. Of course then in the winter, it's dark a lot later, I sleep in longer, exercise after my kids are off to school, lol.

One other thing is, I drink a lot of pickle juice in the summer, and occasionally add a tiny bit of "nosalt" to my crystal light. Yeah, I know, it's messed up. But its potassium, and that helps. Otherwise I get wretched leg cramps, so bad that they hurt for days, despite stretching, heating pads, the works. Not cool. And I drink about a gallon a day of water.

I would imagine that in any SHTF scenario, the need for water and electrolytes will only increase.

ak474u
07-28-2013, 04:53 AM
Lighter clothes in the BOB, but also have to add sun protection like sunscreen and hat to the GHB. Also add an additional Nalgene bottle to the BOB for water, because it seems like I can mow down an entire quart at once if hiking.

Buddychrist
07-29-2013, 02:26 AM
Summer I use for vegetable crop canning and restocking my food storage along with preparing for hunting season preferably Bow season and bagging a deer or three is my fall preparation.

Everything else is pretty much automatic and planned out accordingly.

Taz Baby
07-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Here we adjust to it. Humidity is high and the dark comes around 9:30-10:00. That being said, we get up early 6:00am, work until around 11:00, take a break until it cools off which is around 3:00, then work until dark. If we have anything to do in town, we do it during the rest time,(11:00-3:00).