PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone want me to start a thread on solar hot water and electric

Domeguy
07-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Would anyone like me to start a new thread on solar hot water and solar electric. I'll give you a little background history of me. Back in 2009, I took time from several saved vacations, and attended the Florida Solar Institute in Cocoa, Fl. I got my certificate, and was just going to use it to install solar hot water and electric at Possum Holler Dome, my residence. But while down there, I was the only one in the class of 30 who was there for personal reasons. The rest were either there due to their company wanting them trained, and the others were there to learn how to start their own company. When we (donegal went down with me and hung out at the hotel pool each day) got home, we discussed the possibility of starting my own company. Although I do not have an electrician's license, I did all of the wiring in the dome, as well as most everything else. I then decided to go for it, and started Greener Tennessee Solar. The next year, I enrolled at the local community college to get my electricians license, although in TN, you don't need an electrical license to install solar panels and associated equipment, as long as it passed inspection and a licensed electrician made the final hookup. After local advertising, I did get one job installing a large 5 panel hot water system for a customer to heat his garage in the winter, and his pool in the summer. It was shortly after this job was completed, I turned 50, and finally decided to get my neck and back really checked out, rather than keeping up a regimen of large amounts of pain medicine. I had gotten an MRI for a surgeon to see at my appointment, and ended on the operating room table the next day. That ended my job as a solar installer, and found after going back to my main job (I was only able to work 5 weeks before I was put on permanent disability) I was grounded permanently. But I did retain the skills to install the equipment.
I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep, or to try to seek any pity from anyone. I am just trying to use my retirement now to help out a few people here and there. I have advertised locally by word of mouth I am willing to help design and to help the home owners to install it them selves with no fees for my time, totally free, because it is something I believe in, and maybe to gain a few brownie points just in case there is an afterlife. Lol.
So if anyone is interested, let me know what kind of things I can help with, or what do you want to know, and I will try my best to give you some accurate information.

Domeguy. Ps...let me know if anyone wants to learn about building and living in a geodesic dome.

helomech
07-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Sure, I would like more info. I have a strong background in electrical and avionics, but no experience with solar.

Gunfixr
07-29-2013, 01:46 PM
I know I'd be interested.

Taz Baby
07-29-2013, 02:01 PM
I would be interested in it as we are going to be all solar for the house. Just haven't got the house yet.

4suchatimeasthis
07-29-2013, 03:28 PM
Sounds interesting to me. Although, I've gotta say, when I think "solar hot water" I think of black pvc on the roof. My friend heats her in-ground pool that way, and it's pretty darn nice!

bacpacker
07-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Count me in.

Alas Babylon
07-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks so much for offering to help! I've read plenty of books, but could use real world answers to so many questions.

Metrocruiser
07-29-2013, 09:30 PM
We have been dreaming about an off grid BOL
Im subscribed!!
Thanks!!!

Katrina
07-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Count me in.Need an alternative if(when) natural gas runs out and standby quits, to keep sump running and a few plugs in house going I keep trying to wade thru all the tech stuff but it gets very confusing. I am truly a techno dummy

izzyscout21
07-30-2013, 04:14 AM
IN!

ladyhk13
07-30-2013, 06:15 AM
You know us........yup!

Domeguy
07-31-2013, 01:03 PM
How would you (everyone) like me to go from here. I can write as if I am doing one of your homes, or mine from start to finish, I could make it a Q&A session, I could start as if i were teaching a class, you (everyone) would have to answer questions and do some of the figuring, I could email you (everyone) worksheets, or post the documents somewhere so future peppers could figure out their home. Please give me some input and let me know what you want to learn, and how you want to learn it. Installing solar hot water and photovoltaic is not hard to do yourself, you just need to know your own limitations and physical abilities.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Sounds good to me. Maybe the basic requirements, such as we would like to keep a 50gl tank of hot water going, using a solar water pump from a spring to run the house. Keeping sufficient water pressure of course. Preach on professor!

bacpacker
07-31-2013, 04:54 PM
Some good ideas DG. I like the idea of going thru a home design system, whether class type or not. Of course I am always a hog for worksheet/layout type stuff to figure systems and such.

Xzaniel
07-31-2013, 06:37 PM
I rent so I doubt the land lord would want me to convert his house. But I was thinking of augmenting with solar panels I saw at harbor freight ( http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-panel-kit-45-watt-68751.html ) or a solar Genny at goalzero ( http://www.goalzero.com/solar-generators/ ) any help here would be nice too. Thanks.

2die4
08-01-2013, 03:45 AM
Any info would be good info. I want to create a small
panel system to keep the electronics and fridge going for a bit longer.

ladyhk13
08-01-2013, 05:17 AM
As you know we will be building totally off grid with hydro and solar. A lot of what we read is for small places but we are looking at over 3000 sq/ft so I'm sure that there will be different challenges for a larger scale. Also, I want radiant heat and thinking of geothermal, how will solar work with that type of system?

deanathpc
08-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Count me in

Domeguy
08-02-2013, 04:53 AM
OK...looks like this project is a go. I am a little rusty on some of the material, so give me about 2 weeks to review and to make a lot of notes, and then revise the notes. I will still be happy to answer any questions, and if I can help out, great, but if I don't know the answer, I'll tell you I don't know, and put you I touch with someone who does.
I'll use my own home as the system house to design and install everything into, sense I built it, I know what's in it. That way you don't get a call from me at 4am asking what size water heater you have. I guess I'll do this thing in this order
1. A quick overview of what we are going to cover
2. The site survey
3. Estimating what size system is needed**this is where I would discuss solar hot water if you wanted an estimate, I'll do it separate later.
4. Figuring out where you can get all the things needed, with as little hassle as possible
5. The PVC array, what is it?
6. The entire mechanical design, because you may need to submit these to your local gov. agency's
7. The physical assembly and wiring of the array
8. The inverter, what it does and which one may be best for your application in your BOL
9. Battery's and their charging system
10. Connecting to the grid (if you are grid tied)
11. Everything else I forgot

Ps...yeah...#200 post

Evolver
08-03-2013, 12:27 AM
You had me at Solar... :p

Katrina
08-03-2013, 01:05 AM
Sounds great ,can't wait . I have an idea want I want to do but not sure it's possible. So pleas bear with me if I am slow on pick up.

Domeguy
08-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Sounds great ,can't wait . I have an idea want I want to do but not sure it's possible. So pleas bear with me if I am slow on pick up.

Don't worry, I think I will be a little slow myself.

Katrina
08-03-2013, 03:33 PM

Domeguy
08-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Some good ideas DG. I like the idea of going thru a home design system, whether class type or not. Of course I am always a hog for worksheet/layout type stuff to figure systems and such.

Boy, are you ever going do be disappointed than. I can barely operate a computer. I think everything was just fine when we were banging rocks against each other to make marks and pictures of wooly mammoths. I don't know why someone had to go and mess up a good thing.:)

Katrina
08-04-2013, 02:47 AM
Amen cousin