PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Men

RedJohn
07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Is anybody following the Mountain Men series on History Channel? They're started season 2 already.

Here is a link to season 1: http://www.history.com/shows/mountain-men/about/season-1

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live your life off the grid? Have you wished you could shed the complications of modern society and live in the wilderness, using only the things nature has provided? Meet Eustace Conway, Tom Oar and Marty Meierotto of the new History series Mountain Men, three men who have devoted their lives to survival in its simplest form. But how simple is it really?
From the rugged Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina to the seven-month-long winters on the Yaak River in Montana to the frigid northern range of Alaska, the country is full of some very unforgiving terrain. Watch as these men face off against mudslides, falling trees, ravaging weather and even hungry animals, to make sure they obtain the food and supplies they will need to make it through the brutal winter months ahead.

bacpacker
07-29-2013, 05:42 PM
That is probably my favorite show on right now. I know like all the others it is made for Tv. But I feel like it does show a good deal of what is like trying to live that type lifestyle. Lots of things to be learned from it. Plus I like some of the charectors.

Another show thats pretty good right now is Life Below Zero. I think its on Discovery channel. About different groups living in northern Alaska. Somewhat different from Mountian men, but pretty decent as well.

izzyscout21
07-30-2013, 04:10 AM
I absolutely love this show. Some of these guys are hard core.

2die4
08-01-2013, 03:40 AM
The General and I watch this show and love it. Enjoying it way better than Doomsday preppers. I love the old guy that lives in Montana.

bacpacker
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Looking at this show strictly from a prepper perspective. I can see the guy in North Carolina being a good model for a grid down situation. Most of the work he does on his property is down with horses, or could be. A chain saw is the most used powered equipment I've seen. He also grows more of his food than any of the others on this show. He does his own blacksmithing, repairs, raises his own livestock, ect. While I have no doubt at least some of this is scripted, it still shows how life could be carried on. With a whole lot of work of course.

The Life Below Zero show has some interesting charecters as well. One family, which the wife in a Native Athabascan Indian, I believe, hunts, fishes, and traps almost all of their food. They have a large extended family as well.Another guy on the show is a guide to hunters during season. The rest of the year he hunts and traps. He has commented that he hasn't bought any meat in years.

This show doesn't show all aspects to the characters life, but it gives a good glimpse into a different way of life. Certianly some ways to do different things much has been done for many years.