PDA

View Full Version : Girl contracts brain eating amoeba after swimming at Arkansas water park

The Stig
07-30-2013, 02:42 PM
Read original story HERE (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/29/girl-contracts-brain-eating-amoeba-after-swimming-at-arkansas-water-park/?test=latestnews) at Foxnews

A 12-year-old Arkansas girl has contracted parasitic meningitis, a rare and deadly disease caused by a brain-eating amoeba, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Arkansas Department of Public Health.

This is the first known case of parasitic meningitis in years, according to Medical Daily. It is caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri and is typically found in freshwater or soil. It enters the human body through the nose, where it then moves to the brain, typically causing death.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/07/29/girl-contracts-brain-eating-amoeba-after-swimming-at-arkansas-water-park/?test=latestnews#ixzz2aXXm8uAa

Only one little girl so it's not really a SHTF event (except for her). That said, I can see something like this becoming a large scale problem.

izzyscout21
07-30-2013, 09:17 PM
ewwww......

MegaCPC
07-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I can see something like this becoming a large scale problem.

If someone released it into public water or something 12 Monkeys style, yea, that could get real bad real quick.

Possom
07-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Well I won't be taking my kids to the water park here in arkansas any time soon.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-31-2013, 12:02 AM
If someone released it into public water or something 12 Monkeys style, yea, that could get real bad real quick.

Great, there ya go giving the bad guys ideas again...........man I thought we trained you better? You need to stop thinking out loud. Try to remember the telepathy training we gave in the earlier thread?

Seriously this is bad, like the flesh eating bacteria. It would make a serious Bio weapon though, serious...........I always thought kidney stones would be a great Bio weapon. As they were doubled over in pain, well you can figure out the rest. Stones are extremely painful......

Heart goes out the the young child and family. Being a husband and father I don't think I would want to go through that with any loved one.

MegaCPC
07-31-2013, 02:35 AM
My chip must have fried...

Twitchy
07-31-2013, 04:44 AM

I wouldn't worry about anyone introducing Fungal Meningitis in the water supply. Its actually pretty hard to catch it since it has to make it into the nasal cavity to do any real damage... It's more of a danger when you can get water into your nose, like lakes, etc. I guess bathing might be an issue, but I still don't see it happening...