PDA

View Full Version : Food Pantries and ministries struggle

The Stig
08-02-2013, 12:26 AM
Original story HERE (http://www.fox19.com/story/22952859/budget-cuts-in-food-stamps-severely-affect-tri-state-organizations) at fox19.com

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

The possible budget cuts to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is leaving non-profit groups in fear that they will not be able to supply the growing needs of people with low incomes.

During the month of May, reports for Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky show nearly $36 million in benefits; however, the average family only collected about $135 in food stamps for the entire month.

Food pantries and ministries are often a supplement to help with additional food costs. More recently, John Eldridge with Isaiah House says ministries that help the poor are struggling.

"Non-profits are already cash strapped. We're already way, way overloaded as far as demand especially in the area of food," said Eldridge.

Just a random story from one area but my guess is this is going on around the country.

How might this lead to a localized SHTF event in your area?

Katrina
08-03-2013, 05:15 PM
It puts me in mind of a show I once watched about people having to arm themselves just to go to the grocery store .It was quite a few years ago but it was about what would happen if the world was rationing food and water. It was an odd ball movie on late at night, I don't remember the title. I have a fear that some would mug people coming out of the stores to feed their own families if there were no food pantries and ministries. I know my sister and her family wouldn't have survived with out them and what little money I could send her when she had lost her job a few years ago.She iis employed now but has been adding extras to her pantry for just in case as she puts it.