PDA

View Full Version : Rise in violence linked to temprature change

The Stig
08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Read the original story HERE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23538771) at bbc.com

Shifts in climate are strongly linked to increases in violence around the world, a study suggests.

US scientists found that even small changes in temperature or rainfall correlated with a rise in assaults, rapes and murders, as well as group conflicts and war.

The team says with the current projected levels of climate change, the world is likely to become a more violent place.

The study is published in Science.

Marshall Burke, from the University of California, Berkeley, said: "This is a relationship we observe across time and across all major continents around the world. The relationship we find between these climate variables and conflict outcomes are often very large."

The researchers looked at 60 studies from around the world, with data spanning hundreds of years.

They report a "substantial" correlation between climate and conflict.

Ok...keep in mind there is probably a heavily political agenda behind this study think about this from a SHTF perspective. Even short term localized events can result in a prolonged lack of AC and stress.

If this is true it adds an interesting perspective to being ready for SHTF events of all sizes.

bacpacker
08-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Politics aside, I would venture a guess that summer numbers are much higher than winter, spring, and fall for crime rates. Should the power go down for any significant period of time in summer time conditions, you can bet on crimes of violence going thru the roof.

ak474u
08-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Politics aside, I would venture a guess that summer numbers are much higher than winter, spring, and fall for crime rates. Should the power go down for any significant period of time in summer time conditions, you can bet on crimes of violence going thru the roof.

I think the crime is higher, but for another reason. The young criminals aren't being babysat by the govt. in school during the summer, thus IMHO raising the crime rates.