PDA

View Full Version : Student Film Almost Goes Horribly Wrong

The Stig
08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Read the original story HERE (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/08/01/officer-nearly-fires-on-student-crew-filming-robbery-scene/) at cbs los angles

GLENDORA (CBSLA.com) — A student film crew shooting a robbery scene at a Glendora coffee shop were almost fired on by police who believed an actual crime was taking place.

The incident happened at Classic Coffee on North Glendora Avenue around 7:20 a.m. Thursday.

Passerby Linda Bergslien told CBS2’s Cristy Fajardo that she thought she was witnessing a robbery and feared for her life. She immediately called 911.

“They had masks on, and the one had a gun in his hand, and it was clear they were ready to enter the building,” she said.

Eight officers responded to the scene.

Ok....very localized SHTF event but imagine that you and the family are out for a stroll. You're minding your business when suddenly 8 masked guys are running amok around you. You are carrying your CCW that day.....

Again, very localized event but that could go from an awesomely relaxing day to total localized SHTF event in a fraction of a second.

izzyscout21
08-03-2013, 02:38 AM
And this is a perfect example of why we cant have nice things......

i must point out:

even though you are ccw'ing, it is not your responsibility to intervene. The best course of action is to assess the situation, get your family to cover and safety. Be a good witness.

carrying a firearm does not obligate you to use it. And in this case, would almost assuredly ended with a dead student, you behind bars, and a wrongful death lawsuit....... Or maybe not. Its a dice roll.

you could very easily be misidentified as an assailant by law enforcement or another citizen.

hopefully, your situational awareness is good enough that maybe you noticed the cameras.....

In the event something like this ever happened, i am personally very reluctant to act unless i am absolutely sure i am in the right.

Katrina
08-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Good lord,that sounds exactly what happened to son 1when he was filming a short for one of his classes.He forgot to notify our local sheriff and almost got his brother and best friend killed while they were playing bandits at a good friends store.Ya'd think the instructors teaching these kids would stress notifying the local law enforcement BEFORE they set up a scene and posting signs, out of camera range, letting the public know what's going on. The professionals do it all the time.

eagle326
08-03-2013, 04:34 PM
And this is a perfect example of why we cant have nice things......

i must point out:

even though you are ccw'ing, it is not your responsibility to intervene. The best course of action is to assess the situation, get your family to cover and safety. Be a good witness.

carrying a firearm does not obligate you to use it. And in this case, would almost assuredly ended with a dead student, you behind bars, and a wrongful death lawsuit....... Or maybe not. Its a dice roll.

you could very easily be misidentified as an assailant by law enforcement or another citizen.

hopefully, your situational awareness is good enough that maybe you noticed the cameras.....

In the event something like this ever happened, i am personally very reluctant to act unless i am absolutely sure i am in the right.

Dead on Izzy ; One must assess the situation quickly with self or family out of harms way first. Being a John Wayne could get you in where you had no intention of going.