PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea outbreak investigated in Phoenix area

The Stig
08-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Original story HERE (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/23030662/diarrhea-outbreak-investigated-in-phoenix-area) on foxphoenix

PHOENIX -

Maricopa County health officials are investigating an outbreak of bloody diarrhea in the west side of the Phoenix area.

The Departments of Public Health and Environmental Services says 11 people have reported the illness so far and seven of those people have been hospitalized.

The outbreak appears to be linked to the Federico's Mexican Restaurant located at 13132 W. Camelback Road in Litchfield Park.

MCDPH says 11 of the 15 individuals with bloody diarrhea either purchased food from or eaten at the restaurant.

According to the department, the illness appears to be caused by bacteria that produces a toxin that can cause severe illness, especially in children. The illness can lead to kidney failure and even death.

Sorry...hope you didn't just eat dinner.

This is both a heads-up if we have any ants in the SW but also as a reminder to be prepared. Can you imagine having to deal with this in a large scale SHTF event? Diarrhea is both gross and has the ability to rapidly dehydrate you. That can get dangerous fast.

ak474u
08-03-2013, 04:37 AM
I had some deep fried stuffed habaneros recently that triggered a diarrhea outbreak in my neighborhood... Diarrhea could seriously hurt ones ability to perform day to day work to survive, never mind the potential serious health issue that it in itself presents, as well as a sanitation issue for others in the group.

bacpacker
08-03-2013, 02:23 PM
A couple of things we have stocked to help ouy with a situation like this. Bottles of anti dirrehal medicine and several containers of gatoraide. The wife also has some perscription meds that work really well to curtail throwing up. That can dehydrate you pretty quickly as well. You really have to pay close attention in either of those situation because you can dehydrate quicker than you realize and when your sick lots of times that doesn't even cross your mind.

izzyscout21
08-03-2013, 09:07 PM
gross.

bacpacker
08-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Sounds like that was really shitty1

Stormfeather
08-04-2013, 04:26 PM
^^^ I see what you did there!^^^