PDA

View Full Version : Ohio CCW law

TOOTHPICK
06-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Ohio is trying to pass a law that would allow people with CCW permits to carry their guns into establishments that serve alcohol (I.E. Bars, Applebees) as long as the permit holder is not drinking. Now in my opinion It's a great idea only because I know how stupid people get after they drink. I myself do not drink so it would really benefit me. Apparently we are just waiting for the Governor to sign off on it. The only down side I see in it would be if a drunk knew or saw that you were carrying and tried to obtain your weapon. If it does pass through and go into effect, I hope people don't mess it up by drinking and carrying their weapon. What does everyone else think of it? Also we supposedly have an "open carry" law in effect, but that would just cause you to get a causing panic charge or worse, because not many people know about the law.

Fatty
06-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Wisconsin has similar wording in their ccw and I'm willing to bet people will screw it up. I was always a little bothered why they'd make drinking and handgun purchases possible at the same age lol. Back in the day on the farm, a 12 year old knew what personal responsibility was and I could easily trust one back then to have a pistol. Nowadays I wouldn't trust most 30 year olds with a pellet gun.

Very large gap in levels of maturity. Just my honest opinion on the matter.

The Stig
06-25-2011, 02:01 AM
I've lost track since we moved in March but I was under the impression the change to the carry in alcohol establishments was worded such that you could be in a restaurant that served, but not at the bar area. Usually the wording is that you can't be in an area where 51% of the revenue is from alcohol sales. The classic examples is Applebeys: you can sit in the booths, but not sit at the bar. Straight bars/corner taverns would be a no-go.

Did they change the wording recently to allow ccw into a straight bar?

If not, I'm not worried about the "drunk that sees someones gun" scenario. The law will provide the chance for responsible gun owners to go to a Chili's, Friday's, Applebys, Chapotle, Mios Pizza, etc without committing a felony.

You are right about Ohio's open carry. It's not well known in some areas and will likely result in a "man with a gun" call to the local police. Some areas are tighter than others. Go to your local Wall-Mart in suburbia a you can count on a soccer-mom freaking out.

TOOTHPICK
06-25-2011, 02:17 AM
The actual law hasn't come out yet, I don't think. So I'm not sure on the wording or the extensiveness of the law, just yet. I Have actually had the "soccer mom" freak out, except it was at Target. My gun was hanging out (small of the back carry) and she called 911 and store security. little did they know, I had my permit and work in the LEO field, so it was a lost cause on their part. That's just the thing, if people would stop freaking out over guns, we could carry openly like in Texas. But these days you have your tree huggers (for lack of a better word) that think everyone with a gun is crazy! If we could legitimately carry our weapons openly, I would be wearing a drop leg everywhere I went! But, unfortunately we can't! Kinda depressing to me. I think if people that were allowed to wear guns openly, bad guys or goons would see that their armed and be less likely to mess with them. although, the granny in front of you at Walmart, might be carrying a .357 in her purse!! HAHAHA, I would feel sorry for the poor jerk that messed with her, imagine telling that one to your buddies in jail!

The Stig
06-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Did quick research this morning. Toothpick is right. The proposed law is cow in any class D liquor establishment.

Sorry about that. I guess I really quit paying attention when we got the word to move.

TOOTHPICK
06-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Hopefully this will push for more reasonable gun laws, and more reasonable open carry laws! Although, I'm sure something will happen or people will protest and it will all get screwed up! more than likely it will be a tree hugger peace/love group, or a big named church. god forbid we do something to piss those people off! I'm more worried about those freaks than I am when I'm walking around a room full of murderers!

TroubleShooter
08-16-2011, 09:06 AM
I am confused, toothpick. There is no law preventing open carry in Ohio. You can carry in the dropleg holster. The open carry becomes ccw when in vehicle or on motorcycle. You still have to honor no gun signs.

LUNCHBOX
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
TS, I think he was just refering to the bar carry, besides, you carry open around here and you could get hit with "Inducing Panic" Toothpick is just itching to carry in to Applebbees and sit at the bar like a cowboy.....lol. (and now I sit waiting for the phone to ring)

TroubleShooter
08-16-2011, 10:32 PM
TS, I think he was just refering to the bar carry, besides, you carry open around here and you could get hit with "Inducing Panic" Toothpick is just itching to carry in to Applebbees and sit at the bar like a cowboy.....lol. (and now I sit waiting for the phone to ring)

Hell, I will sit with him........Inducing panic requires an offense to be valid, you have to commit a crime before being convicted of inducing panic

mitunnelrat
08-17-2011, 12:46 AM
You kind of answered than one yourself though, TS. You have to commit a crime to be convicted for it, but that hasn't stopped the un/miseducated and/or anti-OC LEO's of numerous states from arresting proponents for it anyway. Not that I'm saying this of TOOTHPICK, but the fears over loss of time, monetary expense, and the associated social stigma are enough to dissuade many people from "carrying" (if you can excuse the pun) the ownership and bearing of firearms back into a mainstream activity.

TroubleShooter
09-05-2011, 02:02 PM
You kind of answered than one yourself though, TS. You have to commit a crime to be convicted for it, but that hasn't stopped the un/miseducated and/or anti-OC LEO's of numerous states from arresting proponents for it anyway. Not that I'm saying this of TOOTHPICK, but the fears over loss of time, monetary expense, and the associated social stigma are enough to dissuade many people from "carrying" (if you can excuse the pun) the ownership and bearing of firearms back into a mainstream activity.

I fear you are very right on that aspect, I have had several people ask me why I hired a "high dollar gun' to fight my "Obstruction of official business" charge...

There are many who have given their lives and/or forsaken their families for our Freedoms.............. and most of our current citizens will just flush those Freedoms down the toilet to save a dollar, spending the money to fight a court battle or donating the money to help one is a lot easier than wearing bulletproof vests, cleaning sand from your actions and eating MREs...................

Stormfeather
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Wisconsin has similar wording in their ccw and I'm willing to bet people will screw it up. I was always a little bothered why they'd make drinking and handgun purchases possible at the same age lol. Back in the day on the farm, a 12 year old knew what personal responsibility was and I could easily trust one back then to have a pistol. Nowadays I wouldn't trust most 30 year olds with a pellet gun.

Very large gap in levels of maturity. Just my honest opinion on the matter.

As a somewhat newer member to this cheesehead state, Im glad I came in when CCW is finally becoming an option. Unfortunately, now, working at a shooting academy, I see a lot of folks coming in discussing CCW that I wouldnt trust with a potato gun.

The Stig
09-23-2011, 09:17 PM
As a somewhat newer member to this cheesehead state, Im glad I came in when CCW is finally becoming an option. Unfortunately, now, working at a shooting academy, I see a lot of folks coming in discussing CCW that I wouldnt trust with a potato gun.

Damn...aint that the truth. Even with my distant involvement with a gunstore and instructing I saw some folks that just flat shouldn't own a gun let alone carry it.

I've had to rectify my stance on 2A with the fact that in some ways I think gun control isn't always a bad thing. There are a lot of window lickers out there.

Stormfeather
09-28-2011, 08:15 PM
The sad part, is the window lickers think they are going to be packing and helping out police or something if the situation arises. . . they have no idea that they should be nothing more than a good witness unless their lives are in danger. But no, they plan on the dirty harry route. . .So sad that they think this no matter how much I explain it to them that this is not what a CCW is for.

TroubleShooter
09-29-2011, 12:21 PM
The sad part, is the window lickers think they are going to be packing and helping out police or something if the situation arises. . . they have no idea that they should be nothing more than a good witness unless their lives are in danger. But no, they plan on the dirty harry route. . .So sad that they think this no matter how much I explain it to them that this is not what a CCW is for.

You want know to the saddest part.....................The instructors I have been involved with talk about defending a third party if needed........I thought for sure I was going to be thrown from class one evening over my thoughts....

Self defense is "SELF" defense, to include family...........One instructor was giving "what If ", questions, one involved a gas station armed robbery......My answer "watch" , That did not go over good.............He said "you must be able to live with yourself".........

My response.............That is my plan, to live, why should I open myself up to harm either financially or physically to protect someone who has the same choices and options as I to procure a permit ,and gun to defend themselves. If they do not believe their lives are worth the effort, why should I risk mine and my family's to protect them.
The only thing that might pull me off of that "thought process" will be a child in danger........They cannot make that choice. If I go down or a hardship happens because of my actions then several other ppl are directly affected.

Stormfeather
10-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Mostly I agree with you here TS. Coming to someones defense can be very tricky, especially if the person who you think is an innocent party turns out not to be! I think for the most part, I would have no issue coming to the defense of the eldery or young children, but a full grown adult, well, unless it was extenuating circumstances, I plan on being a good witness for the most part.

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Damn...aint that the truth. Even with my distant involvement with a gunstore and instructing I saw some folks that just flat shouldn't own a gun let alone carry it.

I've had to rectify my stance on 2A with the fact that in some ways I think gun control isn't always a bad thing. There are a lot of window lickers out there.

I HATE when someone makes a logical comment regarding gun control. But then again, what they call gun control and we call reasonable restrictions are two very different things. Sadly this is also what so many pollsters use to "prove" that the majority of people are pro gun control. Asking questions that that point to reasonable restrictions sounds reasonable , but to the rabid antis, it proves pro gun control...

dragon5126
10-14-2011, 02:16 AM
You want know to the saddest part.....................The instructors I have been involved with talk about defending a third party if needed........I thought for sure I was going to be thrown from class one evening over my thoughts....

Self defense is "SELF" defense, to include family...........One instructor was giving "what If ", questions, one involved a gas station armed robbery......My answer "watch" , That did not go over good.............He said "you must be able to live with yourself".........

My response.............That is my plan, to live, why should I open myself up to harm either financially or physically to protect someone who has the same choices and options as I to procure a permit ,and gun to defend themselves. If they do not believe their lives are worth the effort, why should I risk mine and my family's to protect them.
The only thing that might pull me off of that "thought process" will be a child in danger........They cannot make that choice. If I go down or a hardship happens because of my actions then several other ppl are directly affected.

The one thing that people seem to miss, is that unless there is danger to life or limb an armed Robbery is JUST a robbery. Just do as the perp says and you will walk away from it alive. Pull a piece during a simple robbery and you suddenly escalate it from a robbery and put the fear of the loss of life into the perp, and risk THEM shooting first. You only draw if you have no choice. It IS that simple. Now, there is more to the story for a LEO, such as the way the perp is acting, perps eye pupil reaction, sweating vs ambient temperature, and other stress indicators, history of recent regional criminal activity, and so forth. The simple fact is that misuse of the concealed weapon, can trigger a shooting, just as much as a properly used weapon can prevent one. SO just as the consensus here states, unless there are extreme circumstances, Be a good witness, that firearm is primarily for the protection of yourself and your family UNLESS the shooting as already started, and that is the primary extreme circumstance.