PDA

View Full Version : Major unrest and violence now in Egypt

prepguide
08-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Some reports have as many as 150 dead in widespread violence as the army cracks down on the Muslim Brotherhood. Please hit the link for more information

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_EGYPT?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-08-14-11-55-48

Stg1swret
08-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Situation is deteriorating rapidly there.

bacpacker
08-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Dont understand why we backed the MB in the first place. Situation is heading downhill for sure. Hpwever news reports never show what the MB is doing other than when they are on the receiving end.

prepguide
08-14-2013, 08:23 PM
BP I agree and BTW the death toll is now reported to be at least 235 with over 2,000 injured as the unrest intensifies.

prepguide
08-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Morning update - According to the Egyptian Ministry of Health the death toll is now 525 and the number of injured is over 3,700. The government has declared a month long state of emergency. If this continues to escalate I fear that the country will be in open civil war and that will affect global trade because many shipping companies will not want to risk sending their ships and crews through the Suez Canal and the ripple effects from that will be felt in many ways such as higher prices for goods and such.

MegaCPC
08-15-2013, 11:45 AM
I think we all saw this coming, but it sucks to see the casualty number rise so fast.

They have had a rough few years.

bacpacker
08-15-2013, 12:29 PM
PG I think shipping is the one thing no one is talking about. And it could be the thing that has the largest effect on the world economy. There is a huge amount of cargo that transits the canal and taking the trip around Africa adds days and fuel cost to each one. I would recommend every one keep topped off on fuel and put back as much stock of gas and deseil as you may need.

prepguide
08-15-2013, 02:06 PM
I would recommend every one keep topped off on fuel and put back as much stock of gas and deseil as you may need.

A big +1 to that ^^^

ak474u
08-15-2013, 04:30 PM
+1 on shipping. Meanwhile, we're not building the keystone pipeline so we can save the crickets, and grasshoppers. SMH

prepguide
08-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Death toll now reported to be at 638. President Obama ordered the cancellation of joint military training exercises with Egypt as well.

ElevenBravo
08-16-2013, 12:03 AM
Ive been seeing some of this in the news... something feels "funny" about all this. Egypt, muslim, etc.. The muslim religion is growing in strength and popularity all the while here state side.

Im not well educated so maybe there is something else Im missing but I dont like any of it.

EB

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Death toll now reported to be at 638. President Obama ordered the cancellation of joint military training exercises with Egypt as well.

Good thing he didn't "Condemn" it, huh? Ah the Suez, yes the lifes blood of all major shipping of all goods and services from which the middle east and the Med utilize, and yes that sweet rich crude oil. Of course it's not being mentioned as much so as not to cause a panic, by the time it hits and they choke it it will be too late. We will be FUBAR'd here. The prices will go up, the "elected official" will continue to let the MoBro's do their dirty work with our help in case you haven't been paying attention he hasn't called it a coup yet. (if that's how it's spelled) Yes the Suez will killl the economy of Europe, the middle east and asia as well. It's a major pipeline. Listen We/I /The Navy have studied and scenario'ed this thing till we were blue in the face. It won't take anything to plug the Suez. A simple shipwreck to start, properly placed mine, RPG on the right ship, IE LPG (liquid petroleum Gas) carrier, fertilizer, all major bad Jew, jew. We (Navy) preplanned for everything possible on a Suez attack, but not really from within, not civil war. Sooooooo this could be a bad thing. Just my "roll of quarters" pardon the grammer and spelling, i'm on a pissed off roll.............

Taz Baby
08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
pardon the grammer and spelling, i'm on a pissed off roll.............

I can handle the grammer part, it's when someone starts spitting when they are talking while Pissed Off I can't handle. So Big Bro Talk along........

P.S. Just topped everything off last week... We saw it coming before the news started talking about it.

Stg1swret
08-16-2013, 07:35 AM
It has turned into one great cluster F***. This administration's talking points are just as confusing as the situation is.

bacpacker
08-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Seems as if everything this Admin touches turns to shit.

Due to the possibilities from this, I decided to move ahead a couple months with my fuel rotation for the year. I have been doing that in November but with the prices down right at the moment its time to freshen up my stock. I am also gonna get 100%gas this year to instead of the 10% ethanol crap. Adding stablizer of course.

Possom
08-16-2013, 12:17 PM
To me the trouble over in the Middle East is rather simple. Not just Egypt but the entirety of the Middle East.

Those people have lived under a heavy handed dictator for years and years. For good reason. You turn them loose in a democracy and they murder each other. Their culture is different then ours. I wouldn't call them less civilized but the west is much less violent.

If you have ever spent any time in Africa you know that it is the same down there. Give them freedom to choose and they choose to murder each other.

The only way to introduce the Middle East and Africa to freedom is in baby steps. Throwing the doors open and saying "run wild! You are free!" Only accomplishes one thing. They will run free until they find a rock on the ground. Then they will pick up said rock and beat each other to death with it.

eagle326
08-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Yep , Block the canal and don't build the Keystone pipe line and you have America's balls in a vise.

The Stig
08-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Original story HERE (http://news.sky.com/story/1129271/egypt-call-for-daily-protests-as-dozens-die) on sky news

Egypt: Call For Daily Protests As Dozens Die
Violent clashes break out during a "day of rage" in Cairo, with security officials claiming at least 60 people have died.
9:17pm UK, Friday 16 August 2013

Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood has called for a week of daily nationwide protests after thousands of its supporters rallied in different cities to denounce a violent crackdown on its followers this week.

At least 60 people, including police officers, were reportedly killed on Friday after parts of the country descended into violence.

"We call on the Egyptian people and national forces to protest daily until the coup ends," the Islamist group said in a statement in reference to the army's overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi last month.

Tens of thousands of Brotherhood supporters clashed with armed vigilantes in the fiercest street battles to engulf the capital since the country's Arab Spring uprising.

Residents battled with protesters taking part in what the Brotherhood called the "day of rage", ignited by anger at security forces for clearing two sit-in demonstrations on Wednesday.
A man shoots a firearm during protests in Egypt A man points a firearm during protests in Egypt

In a counter move, the National Salvation Front - a loose liberal and leftist coalition - called on Egyptians to take to the streets against what it said was "obvious terrorism actions" conducted by the Brotherhood.

Tear gas could be seen during flashpoints in parts of the city, with protesters apparently hurling bottles and rocks at security forces.

State media said one police officer died following an armed attack on a checkpoint in the capital Cairo, where the army has been deployed to guard "important and vital facilities" - and is authorised to use live ammunition.

Reuters reported a security official who said 24 policemen have been killed in the last 24 hours.

Automatic gunfire echoed across Cairo and black smoke billowed from the capital's huge Ramses Square, with a military helicopter hovering overhead looking down on the chaos.

Security officials said at least 12 people died in the square after protesters clashed with residents in the area.

Witnesses reported seeing the bodies of many of the dead in rows in a nearby mosque which had turned into a field hospital.
A soldier holds weapon as he stands on armoured personnel carrier positioned outside state-run television station in Cairo Soldiers stand guard in vehicles outside Egypt's state TV building

Early on Friday evening the Brotherhood called for an end to the day's rallies but said it would press on with daily protests.

Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Francois Hollande held talks about the ongoing unrest during a phone call this afternoon. The pair have called for a "strong European message" and urged the EU to review its relations with Cairo.

Germany said it condemned the violence in Egypt "in the strongest terms".

The Brotherhood accuses the military of staging a coup last month when it ousted Mr Morsi, Egypt's first freely elected president since Hosni Mubarak was toppled.
Egyptian army tanks mobilise in Cairo's Tahrir Square Egyptian armoured personnel carriers also gathered in Cairo's Tahrir Square

Liberal and leftist activists who backed the military saw the move as a positive response to public demands.

Catherine Ashton's European External Action Service said top officials of all 28 European Union members would meet on Monday to review the crisis in Egypt and discuss possible EU action.

She has urged Europe to agree on "appropriate measures".

However, Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah said his country stood with Egypt in its battle against "terrorism".

With the country under a state of emergency and many provinces hit by night-time curfews, the interior ministry ordered police to use live ammunition if government buildings came under attack.

International criticism of the bloodshed has continued to pour in and the United Nations Security Council held an emergency meeting last night on the crisis at the request of France, Britain and Australia.
A member of the Muslim Brotherhood and supporter of deposed Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi shouts slogans as riot police clear Rabaa Adawiya square, where they are camping, in Cairo Muslim Brotherhood supporters say they will not back down

Afterwards, the Argentinian president of the council urged all sides to exercise "maximum restraint".

Ambassador Maria Cristina Perceval, whose country currently presides over the 15-country body, said member states called for an end to the violence and spoke of the need to advance "national reconciliation".

Signalling his displeasure at the worst bloodshed in Egypt for generations, US President Barack Obama said normal co-operation between Washington and Cairo could not continue and announced the cancellation of military exercises with Egypt next month.
Clashes Leave Many Dead And Injured Officials say more than 600 people died in nationwide clashes on Wednesday

"We deplore violence against civilians. We support universal rights essential to human dignity, including the right to peaceful protest," he said.

His remarks sparked a defiant response from the Egyptian presidency which said that "statements not based on facts may encourage violent armed groups".

Despite the condemnation, Egypt's interim prime minister Hazem al Beblawi praised the police for their "self-restraint" and said the government remained committed to an army-drafted roadmap calling for elections in 2014.
A military helicopter flies over clouds of smoke after clashes between members of the Muslim Brotherhood and supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi at Azbkya police station during clashes at Ramses Square A military helicopter flies over Cairo

He justified the use of force saying supporters of Mr Morsi had been sowing chaos, "terrorising citizens, attacking public and private property".

Egypt's ambassador to Britain has said the force used in deadly raids on Cairo protest camps was "not at all excessive".

Speaking at the Egyptian embassy in London, Ashraf El Kholy said the camps set up by Morsi loyalists were "not as peaceful and innocent" as protesters claimed.

"I think with these number of deaths and this amount of violence, (the protesters) got what they wanted," he said.

While several countries, including the US and France, have advised their citizens not to travel to anywhere in Egypt, UK holiday companies are still operating in parts of the country.

The Stig
08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Egypt is experiencing a real deal SHTF event.

I don't know who the "good guys" are in that situation but to all the average daily people who are just trying to get through life....good luck.

Grumpy Old Man
08-17-2013, 06:26 PM
IMNSHO the US being involved in other countries' troubles only brings us trouble at a time when the country is struggling. Stock up now on staples, TP, fuel, coffee, tea and nuke alert key ring. Also prepare and revise your contingency plans. Water filters ready, water stash up to snuff, preps for animals (domestic) and keep a cool head. Check the ridges and watch your topknot!

Stg1swret
08-17-2013, 07:23 PM
It has come to the point were US intervention in other countries should stop. We have enough problems at home to take care of. We have gone from a country that was feared and respected to a country that is now almost a joke in the international arena. Rgypt will figure out what is best for them in time, no one needs to lend them a hand.