PDA

View Full Version : Your Emergency Loadout

The Stig
02-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Do you have a bag, container, duffel or blue plastic tub you use as a "grab and go" kit?

Got a Bug Out Bag setup you'd like to share?

Any sort of kit you use so you can grab a lot of gear in a short amount of time?

Just posting a list of equipment is ok and we all love pics. But it would be really cool to have explanations for why you've chosen the gear you have. Discuss why you put specific gear in specific places. If you can share any evolution of your gear that'd be appreciated too.

In other words, pics and equipment lists are nice but the reasons for them are better.

Jerry D Young
02-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Though I do have several other small kits, my primary kit is a general use kit. I keep it ready to go for any emergency. Since I can’t carry much on my back, I use a game cart to handle the overwhelming majority of the items.

And since I have to use it anyway, I take advantage of the weight & space capacity and take rather more than most people recommend. Some of the additional weight and space is in the gear, but much of it, however, is in food. I can last well over a month just on what food I have with me.

If the situation changes, or is such that I must lighten or reduce the size of the load, I can merely drop or cache what I don’t need and keep going. Since I plan for many different situations, and can’t afford the duplication necessary for having a bag for each situation, I went with the following non-specific kit:

Field equipment kit (Evac/BOB/BIB/GOOD/INCH/DHS)

(Well on the way to having it all, but not quite yet.)

(It is a fairly comprehensive pick and choose list covering all four seasons and the terrain here in the High Desert. Not everyone needs everything. Some items would be left behind or cached, depending on the circumstances. And there are cheaper options available for some of the items for those on a tight budget.)

As to quantities of consumables, since I can carry much more on the game cart than I can on my back, I go for one month plus. I think three days minimum, seven days much better, and a month or more preferred. You will eat more when on the move than when bugging in, so up the amounts you think you would eat by 10% - 25%. Somewhere in the kit should be important documents in a water proof container.

Just my opinions.

Worn:

Propper khaki Tactical Pants – best quality/price/feature I’ve found
Propper khaki Tactical shirt – as above
Orvis Leather money pants belt (with 1/10 ounce gold Eagles) – nice belt, with slot. Gold coins for emergencies
Rustedfables The Grizzly Leather Suspenders (brown) – hold the pants up better than elastic ones
FOTL Boxer briefs (white) – Just my preference
FOTL v-neck T-shirt (white) – Just my preference
Wigwam F2161-051 Coolmax liner socks – good wicking
Carhartt Wool boot socks – very warm even when wet
Danner Ft. Lewis boots – just all around good boots w/goretex lining
Akruba Territory Hat with chin strap wide brim hat (brown) – for sun protection
Peltor Comtact II dual radio talk through hearing protection communications headset – best available I’ve found
Petzl TacTikka XP LED headlamp on hat – has the features I want
2 tan bandannas – Gotta have two. One for the nose, one for the neck or whatever
Hatch Operator lightweight gloves – good for mild weather tasks that are hard on the hands.
Hatch XTAK tan elbow pads – I fall down a lot
Hatch XTAK tan knee pads – Ditto above
Timex Automatic Self winding watch – No worries about batteries or winding, good price compared to others
Wiley X JP-2-510 photochromic sunglasses – the only ones of quality I could find
Zippo lighter/Brunton Helos butane lighter – Either will do. Easier to carry fuel for the butane, Zippo works at altitude
Pantac Wallet C wallet w/cash & ID (tan) – just a nice simple nylon wallet. Cash… well, can’t have too much
Maglight Solitare flashlight w/Tectite LED conversion w/AAA battery – extremely bright for 1 AAA
Cold Steel Voyager medium plain edge pocket knife – good size/function/quality/price combination
Spyderco CO8 Harpy pocket clip knife – hawkbill serated blade for getting out of lines, nets, and is a wicked last ditch weapon
Tec-tite Tekna Ocean Edge Arm knife – an option for the boot knife. Already has harness for arm use
Cold Steel Counter Tac II boot knife – good quality and price if you need a boot knife
Nikon compact binoculars on chest harness (alternate: 7x50 Steiner Commander XP C) – have the Nikons, nice and small and very capable
Write in the rain notebook in left shirt pocket – for note taking. Works well for a nice price
2 Fisher Tactical Space pens in left shirt pocket – can’t lose the cap since there isn’t one. Write anywhere
Arrowtech W-742 Dosimeter in left shirt pocket – if planning for nuke situation. Good price for new production
Arrowtech W-138RM pen type rate meter in left shirt pocket – can use this instead of W-742 plus has rate meter function
Cell phone in right shirt pocket – useful in some situation. Might not work in an emergency, but emergencies aren’t all the time.
Dakota Alert M538-HT MURS hand held radio in pants radio pocket – Best option I’ve found for short rang comms.
Garman Oregon 550T GPS in pants left cargo pouch (opt) – best of the bunch in my opinion, if you’re going to use one
Kestrel 4500NV weather instrument in pants right cargo pouch (opt) – again, the best of the ones I’ve found if you need one
Key ring w/Benchmade knife sharpener, whistle – Sharpener is very small and very effective, whistle is for signalling
Leather change purse w/silver coins (brown) – the coins are for emergencies. The change purse keeps them together, separate from other things in the pocket
Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP w/4 spare magazines in pocket holster in right rear pants pocket – great hideout gun, and the .32 ACP is useable in cartridge adapters in .308 and .30-’06 rifles for almost silent hunting of small game

In FMCO CSV-M10 Vest (4 double magazine pouches, 2 large utility pouches, 2 small utility pouches, 620ci field pack): High quality/military type accepted, purpose built, no mesh, no plastic zippers, no Velcro, pouches made to fit

8 20-round .308 magazine in 4 double pouches – about the maximum I can carry plus the rest of the items in the vest
Brunton 8010G compass in 2nd small utility pouch – Very good quality/size/price option
Motorola HT-750 low band business band handheld radio in 2nd small utility pouch – Low Band VHF (just above CB) gives the best medium range comms I think that are available besides Amateur radios Expensive
Survival kit* in first large utility pouch – See below
Hardware and tools kit** in second large utility pouch – See below
MSR 3-liter hydration bladder in attached field pack – MSR is as good or better than the competition. Had good luck with their products. I’m in the high desert. Need a lot of water.

On TAG MOLLE Belt: - easy adjust, high quality

Glock 21SF in Tactical Taylor MOLLE holster (alternate: ParaOrdnance P-14) – Glock for price & capacity, holster can be configured in several ways
Surefire G2 flashlight in Specter Gear MOLLE pouch – Great basic light, not too expensive. The pouch is the only one I’ve found specifically for the G2
Cold Steel Oda in Spec-Ops MOLLE sheath – Based on the Randal #1, the Oda has a good sheath, but not MOLLE. The Spec-ops sheath solves the problem
IFA kit in Custom Tactical SAR MOLLE pouch*** - See below
Nalgene Guyot SS 38oz water bottle w/18oz cup & Maxpedition 4x10 MOLLE carrier – extra capacity/large opening/can be heated/big cup, & the pouch carries both plus room for other things, too.
Soldiers Optimized Butt pack w/GI Poncho & Ranger Rick liner attached, 3 days food (jerky, gorp, Millennium ration bars), Otis Tactical gun cleaning kit, CD V-750 Model 6 manual dosimeter charger – SOB is laid out fairly well. Best of the aftermarkets I’ve found. Ranger Rick liner has head hole and zipper for sleeping bag, Otis Tactical will clean all the weapons I have or plan to get. The V-750M6 doesn’t need batteries to charge dosimeters
Nalgene Guyot SS water bottle w/cup & Maxpedition 4x10 MOLLE carrier – second one for same reason
OKC-3S bayonet in MOLLE sheath – like the Oda, the OKC-3S is much like the Randle R-1. Comes with the MOLLE sheath
HSGI MOLLE Dump pouch – I like the construction of this one better than the competition for holding empties
Leatherman Surge in one pocket of Spec-Ops brand dual MOLLE pouch – best balance of function vs weight. The dual sheath is easy to adjust and can take different sized items
Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knife in one pocket of Spec-Ops brand dual MOLLE pouch – It’s call the Survivor for a reason.
Spec-Ops brand double MOLLE pouch w/2 pistol magazines – have extra magazine in the other gear. Two is enough. Same thing on the double pouch as above

Kifaru Marauder 2,500ci MOLLE back pack w/cargo chair & gunbearer options – Great quality, the smallest of the Kifaru that will take the cargo chair (I think). The chair and gunbearer let me carry what ever I need and have both hands free

In Marauder:

MSR 3-liter hydration bladder – second bladder. Just have to have plenty of water
SAS Survival Handbook – Best of the field manuals in my opinion.
Food for 3 days (Jerky, gorp, Millennium ration bars) – light, compact, nourishing, and tastes good
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter w/MP-1 tablets – best of the small filters in my opinion
Extra underwear – standard reasons
Extra socks – standard reasons
Double zip-locked packet of important papers (copies of licenses, deeds, insurance, etc.) – might not be able to recover the originals

On Marauder:

PTR-91 MBR in gunbearer (alternate: Springfield M1A) – best value for the money in a .308. Prefer the .308 for its versatility
Left side 2-quart GI canteen in Kifaru pouch – just more water. Unlike the bladders, can be poured from canteen to pot
Right side 2-quart GI canteen in Kifaru pouch – ditto above
Cold Steel E-tool – multipurpose. Digging, cooking, making debris huts, CQC weapon, best of the bunch in my opinion
Cold Steel Rifleman’s tomahawk – prefer a hawk with a hammer head. I like Cold Steel’s quality vs price

LUNCHBOX
02-25-2011, 04:47 AM
Jerry D, I have to give you an ata-boy....Not just because of the gear (your gear speaks for itself) but because you have the mindset to put some gear in a gamecart but keep a smaller version of the same gear on your person. That is a nice touch that should be noticed.

Jerry D Young
02-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Thanks. I'll add the Game cart stuff as soon as the proplem I'm having with posting is fixed.

Jerry D Young
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Continued from above:

Cabela’s Super magnum game cart w/dual wheel option w/ - best one out there

1st Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/additional clothing
2 sets outerwear
5 sets underwear
10 bandanas
1 extra pair Hatch Operator lightweight gloves
1 Travelsmith leather safari coat medium coat (brown) – medium weather
1 pair of Tempest insulated/water proof gloves – cold weather gloves
1 Tasman lined drover’s coat (brown) – Cold weather coat
2 sets Eddie Bauer merino wool long johns
1 Adventure Medical Kits Backpacker’s sewing kit – small, inexpensive and effective
1 pair Cabela’s Elk moccasins w/shearling lining – for those safe camps in the fall, winter, and spring
1 pair Keen Newport H2 sandals – For water work
1 pair Wiley X Nerve Goggle w/4 spare lenses – Best effective goggles I’ve found for the price
1 Pick-of-life ice escape picks – carried handy in the winter when around the water/ice

2nd Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/tools, spares, and extras
1 Grand Shelters Icebox Igloo building tool – for deep snow areas, not needed most places
1 Grand Shelters Igloo door ditto above
1 Duraworx mini-planting tool – substitute for the GI pick mattock
1 Channellock Model 88 rescue tool – wire cutter, pry bar, wrench
1 8” mill file – to sharpen axe/machete/e-tool
1 EZE-Lap diamond paddle sharpening set – for extreme sharpening
1 Wyoming knife w/3 spare blades – the classic for skinning big game
300’ coyote brown 550 cord – used for all kinds of things. Can’t have too much
Yaesu VR-500 wide band all mode handheld receiver w/Miracle Ducker LT antenna – smallest, most capable of the all band/all mode handheld receivers. The antenna keeps things compact, but better than the original
1 Yaesu FT-897D w/Miracle Ducker TL tunable whip, Yo-Yo 6-reel dipole antenna – 100w HF/VHF/UHF all mode amateur radio/all band/all mode receiver
1 Dakota Alert M538-HT MURS handheld radio – extra short-range radio
2 Dakota Alert MAPS vehicle detectors w/MURS transmitter – perimeter security works with M538 radios
4 Dakota Alert MAT motion sensors w/MURS transmitters – ditto above
1 Night Watch 2 circuit tripwire alarm w/tripwire – hard to find, but effective and not too expensive
1 Energizer windup LED flashlight – cheap and reliable so far
1 Brunton SolarPort 4.4 & BattJack AA/AAA solar battery charger – keeps AA/AAA nicad rechargeables up to snuff
1 Brunton Solo 15 & 3 Solaris 52 PV panels solar power supply – high priced, but effective portable power
1 Gill net – best fishing option I’ve found
1 Mobley’s Frog/fish gig head w/extra tines & telescoping pole – compact, inexpensive, effective on small game as well as fish and frogs
1 set Bow string, nocks, fletching, binding, various arrowheads, B&A tool – to make expedient bow in the field with best chance of success
1 reel Heavy fishline, for fishing arrows & gig head – don’t want to lose the arrows or gig
1 Dozen Snare One 7x7 5/64” 42” cable snares w/swivel end – some of the best snares in my opinion. Used in lieu of hunting when camped in one place for a while
1 Exploration Products Fresh Water Fishing kit w/kite string winder – nice inexpensive kit. String winder to save the hands from getting cut up on the line
2 CR-1 spares carriers w/G-2 bulb & 6 CR-123A spare batteries each – keep the bulb and batteries together & protected
Extra CR-123A batteries in 4-cell carriers -
Extra AA rechargeable batteries in 4-cell carriers
Extra AAA rechargeable batteries in 6-cell carriers
Extra pair Danner boots – if possible
Extra boot laces
Extra Zippo fuel, spare wicks & flints
Extra butane fuel for lighter
Extra butane torch fuel
Extra first aid supplies
Extra hardware
Extra ammunition in bandoleers
Extra Otis gun cleaning patches and Breakfree CLP

3rd Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/cooking, water, & sanitations items
1 Sawyer Point Zero Two Absolute 4-liter water purification system – best of the purifiers in my opinion
4 10-liter MSR water bladders – can carry plenty of extra water in a conformable bladder
1 MSR Campers washcloth & towel, AGS Labs Camp soap, compact hair brush – gotta stay clean
4 Charmin To-Go Toilet paper packets/wipe rags(boiled and sun dried to sanitize) – gotta go
1 Gold Bond Foot powder – essential in very hot or humid conditions
1 Chapstik SPF-15 lib balm – prevents lip burn
1 4oz bottle Herbal 22 Insect repellent – keeps the insects away in a good container
1 pocket pack Q-tips – I have waxy ears.
1 MSR Dragonfly multi-fuel stove – Very effective, good price, reliable
4 MSR fuel bottles – at least one spare. Four are better
1 German GI nesting knife/fork/spoon/can opener set – heavy, but also heavy duty, includes good can opener
1 MSR SS cook set w/tea kettle & kitchen tools – a bit heavy, but tough as all get out
8 SS cooking skewers – for cooking small game, roasting tubers, etc over open fire
1 Coleman SS steel double wall cup – keeps the hot chocolate and hot tea hot for a while in the cold mornings and evenings
1 REI Backpackers fire grill – for when you have an open fire but building a pit/fire ring is difficult or impossible
1 GSI pressure cooker w/liner pot – an option that allows quicker cooking of many dishes. Can leave behind
1 Lodge Cast iron skillet w/lid – for set camps using fresh foods. Can leave behind
1 Lodge Dutch oven w/lid – as above
1 Fire tongs – when planning open fires
1 Grilling basket – as above
1 pair 19” fireplace fireproof gloves – as above

4th Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/food - basic cooking supplies and foods
Salt
Pepper
beef bouillon
sugar
spices
baking powder
coconut oil
honey
flour
corn meal
powdered milk
lentils
dried beans
rice
tea bags
hot chocolate packets
Emergen-C packets
lemon juice
hard candy
waxed chocolate
Tootsie Rolls
Chickletts 2-piece chewing gum
Millennium ration bars
Snickers Marathon Protein Bars
Jerky
Pemmican U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too. (http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=731)
dried fruit
fruit cake
gorp (~equal amounts of premium mixed nuts, chopped dates, and M&Ms)
Mountain House meals
MREs
Instant oats packets
Instant grits packets
Instant potatoes packets
18 ounce SS flask Hennessy Paradis Extra Cognac

5th Rubbermaid Action Packer 8-gallon tote w/more food

Lashed on top of totes:

1 FMCO vest set up for Remington 11-87 shotgun – same as other FMCO vest only for 12 gauge
1 NetPack 5354 wheeled 40” duffel bag w/pair Cabela’s Pinnicle Gortex cold weather insulated gloves, Carhartt Arctic Bibs, Carhartt Arctic Parka w/hood, NEOS over boots, Mustang Survival auto inflate flotation vest, Millennium respirator, OptimAir 6A PAPR, CBRN suit, gloves, boots, acc – cold weather and CBRNE gear kept together in one place. Easier to stow in a soft bag than totes
1 set MSR Denali EVO Snow shoes & MSR Denali III poles – if in snow country. Leave behind if not
1 12’ sling rope w/2 snap rings – general purpose short rope. Pulling/lifting/rescue/securing/etc
2 Edelwies 200’ static climbing rope w/set of carabiners & pulleys – Only if you know what you are doing and are likely to need to climb or belay
1 Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1 3 person/4 season tent w/fly – best compromise of price/size/weight/capability
1 Slumberjack sleep system w/Thermarest self inflating mattress – System is good from warm weather down to -30°F. I need lots of comfortable sleep when I can get it.
2 silnylon tarps w/poles, stakes, and para cord – Additional protection when camping on one place for a while
1 Hardigg iM3300 gun case with Remington 11-87 custom shotgun, H&R/NEF .30-’06 single shot scoped rifle w/.32 ACP adapters, (alternate: Remington 700 .30-’06), Glock 30SF spare pistol – Hardigg cases are the best I’ve found for a critical item. The 11-87 is dual purpose. The .30-’06 is sniping/hunting. The G30 is a spare
(optional: 2nd case w/Remington 700 .375 H&H Mag)
1 Alpacka Fjord Explore cargo raft w/oars, oar frame, seat, attachable skeg – for areas where crossing streams too deep to wade. Small/light/capable
1 D-handle small round point shovel – easier to use than the e-tool in many situations
1 Cold Steel 24” Latin machete – for general machete work. I like the 24” for its capabilities and heft
1 Stanley 30” Entry tool – multipurpose tool for getting into and out of several situations
1 Iltis Oxhead double bit axe – for times when camping in wooded area in the cold call from some serious firewood
1 Sven 21” folding saw – for general use around camp for firewood, poles/etc.
1 ATAS-25 multiband portable antenna w/tripod – a longer range antenna for the FT-897D
1 Fire tripod – when anticipating open fires
1 Fire spit & supports – ditto above
1 Kifaru pulk w/steering & brake package – for deep snow areas. One of the best. Expensive

Jerry D Young
02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Continued from above:

*Survival Kit (in FMCO vest utility pouch) – I think most of these item are pretty self-explanatory

1 SAS Essential Survival Guide (compact version)
1 Buck 110 folding belt knife
1 Fisher black bullet pen
1 Storm-Saf note pad
1 BCB explorer button compass
1 Mag-Light Mini Maglight 2AA w/Terra-lux LED conversion
8 Energizer AA ultra Lithium battery in two carriers
1 Blast match fire starter
2 containers Lifeboat matches
1 8-pack Wet fire tinder
1 Bic lighter
1 leather bootlace to make fire bow
4 Daytrex 4.2 oz water packets
1 Sawyer Point Zero Two Absolute water bottle purifier
1 10”x4” Maxpedition water bottle carrier
1 Storm whistle
2 neck lanyard (whistle & knife)
1 mini can Orange spray paint
1 1”x200’ orange survey tape
1 mini-Air horn
1 Starflash 3”x5” signal mirror
1 TrueFlare penflare kit (launcher, 12 flares, case)
1 emergency hooded space blanket
1 lightweight space blanket bag
1 tube tent
1 300’ 550 cord
1 P-51 can opener
1 old style beer can and bottle opener
1 SS table spoon
4 beef bouillon cubes
12 Millennium energy bars
1 fresh water fishing kit
1 gill net
1 1-liter water bag
1 coffee filter support sheath w/20 filters
4 sheets aluminum foil
1 Esbit stove/Tommy cooker
4 12-count Esbit stove fuel tablets
1 small roll Gorilla duct tape flattened
1 24 gauge x 55’ brass wire
1 pocket chainsaw
4 heavy duty garbage bags
2 Israeli 6” trauma bandages
12 Medique Medi-Lyte heat relief tablets 2-pack
4 alcohol prep pads
4 Pepto Bismo 2-pack
4 Excedrin 2-pak
1 Charmin To Go 55 sheet pack toilet paper
1 pair emergency sunglasses

**Hardware & tools kit list (in FMCO double .223 bandoleer pouch on belt) – extra small tools, plus some items for general use, to make repairs, and to fabricate items in the field. Some are for urban situations.

1 Leatherman Crunch
1 Leatherman Supertool 300
1 Victorinox Swiss Army Work Champ Swiss Army Knife
1 Glass cutter
1 300’ 550 cord
1 Small roll Gorilla duct tape flattened
1 12 gauge x 15’ insulated electrical wire
1 16 gauge x 50’ mechanic’s wire
1 24 gauge x 55’ brass wire
1 Roll 3M ¾” x 66’ electrical tape
1 Industrial JB weld
1 Tube of Goop
1 Tube of clear Shoe Goo
1 Small spray can WD-40
1 Small can 3-in-1 oil
12 11” releasable tie-wraps
12 4” 10d nails
4 7” spike nails
4 Mini sharpies
1 Mini spray can orange paint
1 1” x 200’ orange survey tape
1 Blazer PB 207 2500 degree micro torch

***First-aid kit (in one of the FMCO vest utility pouches)(additional supplies on cart) – All the items are my personal preferred items

1 CPR safety shield
4 pair exam gloves
2 1-oz bottle Purell hand sanitizer
10 Therma-Dot single use thermometer
1 Fisher space pen
1 Storm-Saf not pad
4 individual wrapped tongue depressors
4 individual wrapped cotton tip applicators
1 small roll Gorilla duct tape flattened
4 bite sticks
4 ammonia ampoules
1 small flask Everclear 190 proof PGA
4 honey packets (for hot toddies)
4 lemon juice packets (for hot toddies)
2 Camelback Elixir 12-pack electrolyte solution
12 Excedrin 2-pack
12 Alka Seltzer 2-pack
1 25ct bottle Dulcolax laxative
12 Pepto Bismol 2-pack diarrhea medication
12 NyQuill daytime cold medicine 2-pack
12 NyQuill nighttime cold medicine 2-pack
12 Benadryl antihistamine/allergy med 2-pack
2 Chloraseptic throat lozenges 6-pack
6 Water-Jel Burn relief 3.5g packets
6 Water-Jel 1/32 oz triple antibiotic ointment packet
6 hydrocortizone 1/32 oz packet
3 15g jell glucose
4 Sting-kill wipes
4 IvyX cleanser wipes
4 alcohol prep pad
4 PAWS antimicrobial wipes
4 Providone/Iodine prep pad
1 Asherman chest seal
1 20cc irrigation syringe
1 250ml bottle sodium chloride irrigation solution
1 4 oz bottle eye wash
1 eye wash cup
1 combat application tourniquet
1 self applied restricting band
1 1”x10yd adhesive tape roll
1 Dr. Scholls moleskin deluxe
4 1”x3” bandaids
4 fingertip bandaids
4 knuckle bandaids
12 ½” x 2 7/8” butterfly wound closures
4 2”x3” medium patch bandage
2 2”x4” elbow/knee bandage
2 Emergency Israeli 6” trauma bandage
2 sterile oval gauze eye pad
4 2”x2” gauze pads 2-pack
8 4”x4” gauze pads
1 2” gauze roll
1 4” ace bandage
4 4”x4” Water-Jel burn dressing
2 31”x31”x51” triangular bandage
1 SAM finger splint
1 7 ¼” utility scissors
1 3 ½” tweezers
4 single use Krazy glue
1 surgical stapler kit w/35 staples
1 Sawyer bite & sting kit
1 brown recluse spider F/A kit
1 deluxe emergency dental kit

Important documents:

Important records should be kept in such a way as to be safe in case of fire, flood, earthquake and other disasters and to have available for quick access when needed.

Keep originals in appropriate places w/copies and/or condensed versions in the various emergency kits including BOBs, BIBs, GHBs, GOOD bags, INCH bags, evacuation kits, hurricane kits, etc.

It is also good to keep a set of copies off-site so they can be retrieved even if you have to leave without anything.

Automotive paperwork: registration, title, insurance card

Business records: Company ID, bylaws, emergency plan, employee contact list, contracts, supplier info, customer info, incorporation records, partnership records, accounts receivable, accounts payable,

Computer records: accounts, passwords, website info, etc

Employment records: Company ID, employee handbook w/emergency plan, pay stub

Family contacts: name, address, telephone numbers, e-mail, code word for proof of identity

Financial records: checking account info, savings account info, bankruptcy decree, credit card info, loan info, utilities info, safe deposit boxes

Future death information: will, funeral arrangements, cemetery plots

Household records: Deed, mortgage, appraisals & inventory of home & contents, warranties

ID: Driver’s license, passport, state ID card, naturalization certificate, permanent resident card, birth certificates, adoption records

Insurance records: Auto, home, health, life, disability, insurance cards, Medicare/Medicaid card, any other insurance cards

Investment records: stocks, bonds, etc

Legal records: marriage certificate, prenups, executor of estate, divorce decree, powers of attorney, death certificates, criminal history, trust documents, military discharge (DD214),

Medical records: Medical Power of Attorney, living will, allergies, prescriptions, current illnesses/problems, past major medical history

Professional help info: Insurance agents, accountant, lawyers, doctor(s), dentist,

Religious records: Christening, baptismal, confirmation,

School records: high school diploma, college diploma, college degrees, trade school diplomas

Tax records: Social Security Card, personal tax records for 3 years, business tax records for 3 years, property tax info

Any questions, feel free to ask. Please remember that I don’t expect everyone to need or want everything on the list. It’s just a reminder of what is available and might be needed for some people in some situations.

x-cop
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM
i have 2

well 2 and a mini for the boy

the 2 big ones are for me and the wife, mine is a version of a military approach load in a Molle II pack

Hers is a slightly lighter version of the same thing.

I re pack it for summer and then change it out for winter too. Slightly different gear.

For ex i don't have over whites in the summer. I carry extra poncho liners for the winter

izzyscout21
03-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Mine's been a work in progress for quite a while, but I'll share with you what I have done so far. I'll highlight some of the "featured" items and refrain from showing most of the standard run of the mill stuff.

Keep in mind, all of these items stay in my vehicle, so they're readily accessible. I plan on making it home or driving the car till I no longer can before pulling this stuff out. Or, if this S has hit the Fan really bad, I'll break it out.

Here's the whole shebang.

It's a tiered system. I can wear all or just pick apart what I need.
Blackhawk 3 day assault pack. Most cases, I see just using the pack.

It has the standard stuff. MRE's; extra clothes, socks, undies, t-shirts, etc.;
fishing gear; mess kit; Coleman max backpacking stove and 2 fuel cylinders; extra gear straps; duct tape; 300 ft. 550 cord; firestarting kit- lighters, matches, dryer lint, magnesium, all housed in an old peanut butter jar; camelbak; 2 extra nalgenes; Gore-tex parka; 2 GI ponchos; tent stakes;
poncho liner in bedroll at bottom; 6x primary rifle mags; drop in 22 conversion for AR, 2 .22 magazines, and extra ammo

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2890.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2891.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2892.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2901.jpg

Gerber LMF II and Ontario SP-16 SPAX (good for everything from camp chores like cutting wood to opening up fire hydrants and O2 tanks)

and Let's not forget the flask. I thought this could come in hands for everything from firestarting to possible trading fodder. Especially since it's full. LOL

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2905.jpg

izzyscout21
03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
One thing I forgot to mention in the pack is the hygiene kit. Just because it's hit the fan, dont mean I gotta stink.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2895.jpg

here's the contents:

I have an ample supply of butt cream. Iraq taught me that swampy butt rash sucks.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2896.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2898.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2897.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2898.jpg

izzyscout21
03-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Next is the belt

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2886.jpg

Buttpack:
2 stripped mre's and 3 packs of starkist tuna; water putification tabs; small firestarting kit; 2 emergency blankets; Blackhawk SOLAG gloves; my Shemagh (never know how handythat one will come in); Batteries- 9 volt, CR-123'3, and AA's; emergency strobe; compass

2 QTS water
3 Mags for my pistol
another MCnett Towell

Trauma Kit:

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2902.jpg

Plenty of Celox and Quik-Clot; Israeli bandage, chest seal; lots of gauze and kerlex; tourniquet, shears

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2903.jpg

izzyscout21
03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Next is the stuff that gets broken out if it ever gets bad enough and we have some Katrina-like meltdown.

Chest Rig/ Armor carrier

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2904.jpg

Blackhawk Chest rig with front and back panels. Level IV SAPI plates front and back;

5 pistol mags
8 AR mags/ 1 in the gun (9 total)
1 mag for the .22 conversion
surefire G2 light
Petzel Tactikka headlamp
Leatherman Multi-tool
Chem Lights
Rite in the rain notepad, pencil
surefire batteries
maps of my area

izzyscout21
03-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Finally, we get to the belt mounted hardware.

My advanced trauma kit. Lot's of field dressings; lots of gauze, gloves, light, more quik-clot and celox, chest seals, tape, chest decompression needles, elastic tourniquet, phenagren, epi-pens, and lot's more advanced goodies.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2888.jpg

Kimber desert Warrior and CUDA CQB-1. These get paired with the 10.5 inch SBR I keep with me everywhere.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF2889.jpg

Like I said, it's a work in progress, but it's at least functionable right now. I don't think I'll ever have to use the armor and and the really hardcore turn-out gear, but I've been wrong before..........

The Stig
05-26-2011, 07:05 PM
As much as I rail against those who think SHTF is solely defined as Mad-Max zombie mania, that doesn't mean I don't maintain a "fighting load-out". Over the next few posts I hope to detail what I maintain.

------------

BCM03 Harness

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0346.jpg?t=1306434930

My overall guiding principle for this setup is light, easy to don and basic. I figure if a Katrinia situation unfolds I want to be able to suit up quickly and respond NOW. Further, being that it will be hotter than balls I don't want to burn too many calories carrying around unneeded crap. The BCM03 harness incorporates a hydration bladder into an highly functional, easy to adjust harness.

So from right to left:
2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56x45
2 Glock 23 mags .40s&w
2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56 x 45
1 TQ in a Blue Force Gear TQ Now!
Med Shears

That's it. Like I said, this is a lightweight and simple rig.

ATS Warbelt

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0347.jpg?t=1306434930

A little more involved but again the focus was light-weight, simple and focused on one thing.....killing or fixing wounds. The belt is a blackhawk webbelt with an ATS Tactical belt cover thingy.

From right to left

Maxpedition Rollypolly Dump Pouch: This is slated for replacement as I've read review after review that says they suck for mags.
Safariland ALS holster for Glock 23w/light
Tactical Tailor Grenade pouch: Currently empty but will be hiding spot for white smoke grenades (I keep those under lock and key)
Double mag pouch: Two Glock 22, 15 round .40s&w mags
Marz Combat Medic Pouch: This serves as my IFAK and it provides shingles for 3 additional 30rnd PMAGs

The Marz (info found HERE (http://www.marztg.com/pouches_get.php?pid=1)) is pricy at $85 and is very large for an IFAK but I got it specifically because it combined the function of the mag shingles and med kit. I had been using a Maxpedition FR-1 with a standard 3 slot shingle and the footprint was massive. If I went prone it felt like I was laying on a beachball.

So the Marz keeps the overall bulk of the kit down despite it being larger than a standard IFAK. The thing is very well built and looks like it could survive a missile attack.

Evaluation:

So far my evaluations have consisted of draw and fire (dry) in my office so it's only about 5% of the overall picture. That said, it quickly became apparent that my original set up (much different than above) wouldn't work. Everything interfered with everything else and even only being in my office the damn thing was uncomfortable. So with some trial and error I came up with this combination.

From the static anyway, draws are unimpeded and I can bend over/flex/twist without stuff poking me in the ribs.

I am slated to take a carbine class in July so I'll be able to put this setup through the paces for 3 straight days. Needless to say, I'm sure I'll find out many flaws and required changes based on that.

And the brown lump in the extreme left is my dog's butt. She is 13 and looked at me as if to say, "Get bent, I'm old" when I tried to get her to move.

The Stig
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Don't really know what to call this bag. It really isn't a bug out bag, it's more of a "fighting bag". Not trying to be cute but this guy isn't necessarily meant for long term sustenance. It's more for I need stuff to keep me in a protracted fight sorta thing.

That's probably slicing it too fine but there's where I am right now.

Stay tuned because I am planning a total overhaul of our real BOB's. I need to revamp those more for hurricane evacuation/toss in the back of the car and live in a hotel for a week sort of scenarios. More on this in a (soon to be) different thread.

So anyway....here she blows....

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0353.jpg?t=1306444622

Clearly built on a.....wait for it......Maxpedition Condor II backback. Shock of all shocks I know.

I'll deal with the external stuff first and then break down the contents of each compartment later on once I do the total overhaul.

Clearly obvious is the Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag on the front. I've set this up as a "squad level resupply" with all sorts of bandages, kerlix, gunshot kits, etc. Not really sure what squad it's intended for, but this is meant to resupply my the "corpsmen bag" (read more about it HERE (http://www.shtfready.com/medical-supplies/large-first-aid-kit-48.html)) as items are used up. While the FRB is basically a warehouse for my corpsmen bag, it can be used as a first aid kit. I've set it up so it's organized, not just supplied dumped in a bag. For example, there is a zippered pouch underneath the shears. In it is one of my gunshot kits.

Here's a better shot of the FRB:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0350.jpg?t=1306444622

Here are pics of both sides of the bag:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0354.jpg?t=1306444622

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0355.jpg?t=1306444622

In them you can see the pouch for a radio, a generic ACU pouch which contains AR15 mags and 2 Glock 22 mags, smoke grenade pouch, and old style canteen.

Here's a picture of underneath:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0352.jpg?t=1306442748

I've got a nylon/blanket/ground cloth thing that would at least provide some protection should I have to sleep outside, or it just plain gets cold.

So that's the outside.

I'll work on the inside once I do the major overhaul of our true BOB's as I have a feeling that will spill over to this bag.

mitunnelrat
09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
I've finally got enough of a setup to put it up. I'm not 100% satisfied, but its a huge improvement over what I had.

My "1st line" is an ATS war belt with ATS war belt inner belt, and HSGI suspenders. My 2nd line is an SDS FLC.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG00222-20110907-1349.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG00221-20110907-1349.jpg

The war belt isn't really a true 1st line because I set it up more as a self contained survival kit. Starting from the left and working around I have 3x pistol mags, and a TT roll-up dump pouch. Behind that I have a USGI one-quart canteen pouch with a nesting system of natick stove, cup, and canteen. This pouch also has little flap pockets on each side. In these I have 12x water purification tablets, an MFS, a bic, and a trioxane tablet.

I have a horizontal gp pouch on my 6 as a buttpack. In it I have a maglite solitaire (wrapped with both 100mph tape and brass wire), a phoenix IR beacon, a whistle, signal mirror, lensatic compass, and county road map. Its also got 4x MRE snacks, a knife sharpener, folding trowel, a mylar blanket, MRE napkins/ wet wipes, and 550 cord.

Moving around to my right hip is my my Maxpedition FR-1 on a tear-away panel. In it I have a SAM splint; izzy dressing; C-A-T; 3 ea. 4x4 guaze pads; medical tape; RX pill container; quikclot gauze; triangular bandage; H and H compressed gauze; Folding scissors; metal tweezers; 4x tongue depressors; exam gloves; 5"x9" trauma pad; 200 mg Motrin; antihistamine blister pack; anti-diarrheal blister pack; orajel; chapstick; triple antibiotic ointment; assorted bandaids; electrolyte drink mix; ammonia inhalant; and a surgeons mask. I need to get a decomp needle, chest seal, and a set of trauma shears for this kit.

Finishing out the belt, on the right side, is my Morris MAK 10.5 fixed blade, Safariland 6004 drop leg holster, SDS double mag pouch, and a Maxpedition phone holster. Total weight (with side arm holstered) = 20 pounds.

Moving to 2nd line is the FLC.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG00223-20110907-1350.jpg

It has three SDS double mag pouches for 30 round AR mags going from left to right. The pouch on the far right is an HSGI bleeder pouch. The small pouch attached to that is an narescue C-A-T pouch. The bleeder pouch is set up as a blow out kit, with the following:
C-A-T and skin marker in the C-A-T pouch. Trauma shears in the exterior sleeve pocket. Inside the pouch is an izzy dressing, NPA, quikclot powder, plastic sheeting, 100 mph tape, H and H compressed gauze, exam gloves, and a surgeon's mask. I'm eventually going to add a decomp needle and an asherman chest seal (to replace the plastic sheeting). On the back is a Camelbak hydration carrier for a 3 liter bladder. Total weight, 10-16 pounds depending on whether water is loaded or not.

3rd line is an SDS assault pack.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG00227-20110907-1354.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG00224-20110907-1353.jpg

Inside the main bag is my USGI bivy and its green bag. Underneath that is my CRKT Falcon; a larger knife sharpener; a VZ-17 panel; a USGI mess kit holding a sea to summit spork, stove burner, oatmeal packets, vitamins, coffee, and some MRE accessories. Also inside the main pack is my fuel canister for my stove, my hygiene kit, and a small bag of zipties, 100 mph tape, and 550 cord. Winter configuration also has a Gerber back paxe.

The front pocket of the pack will hold my food (I need to restock it). It also has a nalgene nested in a canteen cup, more 550 cord, some tent pegs, a MI state road map, and a weapons cleaning kit.

Moving to the outside: The top is my coleman Max self-inflating mat. It has my 6' x 8' tarp rolled in with it. Below where that sits, attached to PALS webbing is a Mosin ammo pouch. It holds my pocket chainsaw, a mylar blanket, a bag of PJ coated cotton balls, a bic, an MFS, and some NATO matches. Winter configuration shows an NBC bag clipped to top and bottom via fastex buckles. It holds the black bag to the MSS. Also part of my winter load is the two 2-quart canteens on the sides. In summer I'll remove those and the black bag. My Camelbak Ambush will replace them on the front of the bag. I don't have the Camelbak included for winter due to the number of reviews I've read where they've frozen solid.

Above the canteens I have my Katadyn Hiker, my leather work gloves (left side), and my ENO slap straps are on the right. (I'll be using them to put the tarp up.) On the sides of the front pocket I have a chem light in a protective holder, and two SDS grenade pouches. The grenade pouches (one on each side) each hold 60 rounds of 5.56. On one of the straps I have a combination whistle with a compass, thermometer, and fresnel lens all in one. Attached to the bottom of the pack is an SDS waistpack. I have a set of polypro thermals, a balaclava, wool glove inserts, and wool socks in that. In the summer months I can replace those items with my Eureka Solitaire. Total pack weight, sans food - and packed for winter- is 45 pounds.

My loaded AR weighs 7.5 pounds.

The weights above all came from my hanging fish scale, and give me a combined total of 82.5 pounds. Sorry about the poor pic quality. My blackberry just wasn't cooperating today.

Ronsch
09-21-2011, 11:47 PM
I love the flask!

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 12:03 AM
u guys try RUNNING with all that, on snow, in mud, wet leaves, on hillsides? :-) It takes an Olympian to do this common combat need with 50 lbs, and you 'think" you can go it with 70-80 lbs, right? :-)

I'll play. I've done it before. Most of my adult life has been spent behind a rifle carrying this exact load out. Yeah, I think I can handle it there, mountaingoat.

LUNCHBOX
09-22-2011, 01:59 AM
I'm with you...my hiking gear runs me 50-60 lbs. Granted that first few days for someone not used to it will want to sit down and stop. Of course, if you've been in the military you know that your body will adapt in time. (if mine can, yours can)

mongoose
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
my run gear
(sorry, but can't figger out how ta put pics in post)

FN Sporter, Eotech, 4x flip, 35rd mag
Shoulder holster w/ 1911, 3 mags (2-8, 1-25)

tacvest, web belt, butt pack, pouches & pockets
3-35rd mags 556, 2-2l hyd bladders, bowie, Cane knife, bayonet,
drawstring cotton gathering bag (ta collect dinner)
30 day vitimans, zantac, imodium AD, midol, clear trashbag,
wool socks, hiker-pro, poncho, 100ft paracord, survival blanket (2),
steripen, wpn clng kit, notepad, pen, hobotool,
spare glasses, contacts, eyeglasses repair, eye drops
AA LED, AAA mini, AAA headlamp, AA-6, AAA-12, 2-123, compass (2),
pocket knife, leatherman, gloves, 2 - canteen cup
first aid kit
2-sutures,iodine, 4x4 & 2x2 pads, tape, antibiotic cream, antifungal cream,
triangular bandage, eye patch, knuckle band, clotures, ace band, gauze roll, superglue,
steel mirror, hemostats, newskin
fishin/sewin kit
assorted hooks,sinkers, 20yd-12lb test line, 20yd-30lb test line, sewing needles,
15yd sewing thread, lg sewin needles, whetstone, assorted saftey pins, paper clips,
yo-yo, DEET 2oz.
Fire kit
match bottle, 2-wetfire, small magifying glass, magnesium block, fire steel,

Backpack:
3 1/2 qt pot W/ hobo Stove, matches, firesteel, spice bag, washcloth, file,
zplk w/ 4 0z. Coffee, Steep cloth,
(4) zplk w/ Oatmeal, honey (2880c ea)
zplk w/ 4 0z bar antibact soap, w/prf bag, rag, wool socks, foot pwdr,
zplk w/ bic, washrag, 2-razor, comb,
zplk w/ t.p.
zplk w/ footsoap, wool socks, 7oz foot powder,
zplk w/ longjohns
poncho, 100' paracord, wool blanket, spare waterfilter element,

bacpacker
10-20-2011, 01:01 AM
Welcome in Mongoose. Glad to have you here.

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 11:20 AM
------------

BCM03 Harness

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0346.jpg?t=1306434930

The BCM03 harness incorporates a hydration bladder into an highly functional, easy to adjust harness.

So from right to left:
2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56x45
2 Glock 23 mags .40s&w
2 30rnd PMAGs 5.56 x 45
1 TQ in a Blue Force Gear TQ Now!
Med Shears

That's it. Like I said, this is a lightweight and simple rig.

I love that rig!!! with some different pouches, it would be perfect for a bazillion things! First and formost... hunting and trapping!

gotta keep an eye out for one of them.

TX Stig!

MegaCPC
01-11-2012, 06:36 AM
Here's my BOB rig. I'll do a more in depth review at some point, but it has all the necessary junk in it. Sorry for the crappy picture quality, I really need a better camera.

I'm planning on getting Tactical Tailor's ALICE straps and belt for this thing. I've rucked this pack and while it's doable, it's not the most comfortable bastard to wear.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/bob002.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/bob001.jpg

mitunnelrat
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
That its not. How much does it weigh? I pulled the frame off my medium, and while it feels like its sitting a bit funny its still much more comfortable than it was. I, uh, blew out the pack I had pictured in this thread and went to this as a replacement.

MegaCPC
01-14-2012, 06:03 AM
As it sits right there, canteens empty, roughly 40lbs - not too bad. It's missing a few things so I plan on 50lbs. On my "training exercises" I toss a 15lb weight in the pack to simulate added load from a simple "combat rig" I am putting together and plan to carry as well.

My goal is to avoid combat at all costs, but I'm still going to be packing a rifle or two, plus ammunition.

izzyscout21
01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4474.jpg

details here:

http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-basic-supplies/revamped-my-1st-2nd-line-fighting-gear-1174.html#post17237

mitunnelrat
01-14-2012, 08:38 PM
As it sits right there, canteens empty, roughly 40lbs - not too bad. It's missing a few things so I plan on 50lbs. On my "training exercises" I toss a 15lb weight in the pack to simulate added load from a simple "combat rig" I am putting together and plan to carry as well.

My goal is to avoid combat at all costs, but I'm still going to be packing a rifle or two, plus ammunition.

I'll have to check, but iirc correctly, you're going to want to keep the frame then. I think its something like 30 pounds max if you go frameless. Like I said though, I'll have to double check.

MegaCPC
01-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Mine is the large pack, so I need the frame for the straps to attach to. Plus I like the way it sits, very solid. The belt isn't even that bad, its just the shoulder straps that bring the suck. Very little padding.

Not to mention the frame can be used without the pack to transport other things that would be hard to lug by themselves, like a water container.

The Stig
02-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Ok...so while I'm a firm believer that many "preppers" love to fantasize about some goofy MadMax scenario where the world collapses and we're all reduced to fighting Yugoslav style, it doesn't mean that I don't prep for that eventuality.

So with that said, here's my plate carrier. This would go over top of the war belt shown below.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-24-07_365.jpg?t=1328912709

The carrier is a Blue Force Gear LMAC. The plates are Gamma Plus III+ rifle plates.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-17-32_929.jpg?t=1328912524

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-18-01_75.jpg?t=1328912417

As you can see the load is pretty basic: 4 PMAGs (3 in a standard shingle, one in a fastmag), tourniquet in a TQ now, two pistol mags, and an izzy bandage and packet of celox in the compass case.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-17-45_540.jpg?t=1328912481

This is the right side-armor pouch. Instead of using the included elastic strap/cummerbund, I bought a pair of Ares Armor buckles (http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/AA-PCS.html). So instead of ripping the front panel up (there's velcro under the 3 mag shingle) to pull the cummerbund strap into place, I just snap a couple of buckles.

I'm contemplating a set of side plates but honestly as a fat-civilian type I wonder if the cost is warranted. And frankly, as a certified fat-ass-civilian, if my world has deteriorated into running & gunning I've done something very wrong. In my mind this PC would most likely see use in a Katrina style meltdown or a class so is the extra weight penalty outweigh the extra protection?

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-18-20_802.jpg?t=1328912356

GunnerMax
02-15-2012, 02:53 PM
stig, on my vest that I wear everyday, I have sideplates. They are heavy and bulky. IMO, not worth the weight/cumbersomeness. The plates protect a VERY small area of my body, but hinder me very much. So, I would suggest against sideplates

ak474u
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok...so while I'm a firm believer that many "preppers" love to fantasize about some goofy MadMax scenario where the world collapses and we're all reduced to fighting Yugoslav style, it doesn't mean that I don't prep for that eventuality.

So with that said, here's my plate carrier. This would go over top of the war belt shown below.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-24-07_365.jpg?t=1328912709

The carrier is a Blue Force Gear LMAC. The plates are Gamma Plus III+ rifle plates.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-17-32_929.jpg?t=1328912524

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-18-01_75.jpg?t=1328912417

As you can see the load is pretty basic: 4 PMAGs (3 in a standard shingle, one in a fastmag), tourniquet in a TQ now, two pistol mags, and an izzy bandage and packet of celox in the compass case.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-17-45_540.jpg?t=1328912481

This is the right side-armor pouch. Instead of using the included elastic strap/cummerbund, I bought a pair of Ares Armor buckles (http://www.aresarmor.com/install/ecom-prodshow/AA-PCS.html). So instead of ripping the front panel up (there's velcro under the 3 mag shingle) to pull the cummerbund strap into place, I just snap a couple of buckles.

I'm contemplating a set of side plates but honestly as a fat-civilian type I wonder if the cost is warranted. And frankly, as a certified fat-ass-civilian, if my world has deteriorated into running & gunning I've done something very wrong. In my mind this PC would most likely see use in a Katrina style meltdown or a class so is the extra weight penalty outweigh the extra protection?

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-02-10_16-18-20_802.jpg?t=1328912356

I'm at the point that I wish my regular vest didn't have the side protection so I could put the panels in a plate carrier My plate carrier is much like your with a detachable cumberbund, which is going away cause I don't have side armor, and don't need the extra MOLLE acreage right now or for classes. When I start instructing CHL, and pistol/rifle classes, I plan on having a RED or similar color carrier that is MOLLE compatible for small pouches, but more for easy on-off, and prevention of accidental shooting by people of unknown skill as a range officer/instructor. For this next impromptu rifle class with my instructor friends, I'm going to just use a rigid foam insert in place of the armor panels front and rear for extra stability purposes, and to simulate the thickness of the panels I want, and to provide a more rigid platform for the pouches on the vest, I've seen carriers without panels "flex" when mags are pulled out rapidly, so I don't want to do that.

The Stig
02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
So it sounds like the side plates are probably an unwise expenditure. Thanks for the input.

izzyscout21
02-17-2012, 12:53 AM
So it sounds like the side plates are probably an unwise expenditure. Thanks for the input.

I was never a fan of them. I see the point, if you're overseas. One thing to consider is that while side plates do offer some protection, the also hamper mobility. I'll sacrifice the plates for mobility any day of the week. Anyone who has had to wear them would probably agree with me.

izzyscout21
05-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Revamped the Rig again.......

LBT 6094M
Tac Tailor 3 mag shingle
Tac Tailor Magna-Mag pistol pouch
2 LBT Single mag pouches
HSGI Bleeder
LBT Smoke grenade Pouch
LBT single mag pouch w/ Gerber
Motorola Saber
Small dump pouch on right side
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/london%20bridge/DSCF5264.jpg

Eagle Hydration pouch
Emdom Wide Load

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/london%20bridge/DSCF5265.jpg

VTac Brokos
Cobra Inner Belt
CQB-1
Surefire Z2
Small dump
Emdom IAP (behind dump)
DBT quad pistol pouch

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/london%20bridge/DSCF5266.jpg

I still like to run my safariland drop holster on my trouser belt

mitunnelrat
05-19-2012, 02:46 AM
I might recommend, based on the related experiences of others, that you get a pouch for that TQ on your bleeder pouch. Narescue makes the one I use now. Pretty inexpensive insurance from what I hear.

mitunnelrat
05-19-2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the reminder, btw. I keep meaning to get an IFAK or BOK back on my second line.

cwconnertx
06-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Ok, so based on what I've seen in this thread and others on this site, I have revamped my gear. I never previously had a "battle belt" simply a web belt with my pistol holster and magazine carriers. The purpose is to carry a base load, which will supplement other equipment, but also provide the bare necessities to defend myself and survive

So here is what I have from my left side around my waist and to my right side,
in a small pocket I have:
water filter, lighter, three bottles of medications (pain, broad spectrum antibiotic, vitamin c/multivitamin), batteries (two sets for each electronic device), a roll of fish line, duct tape, stainless steel wire, small roll of paracord, 4 safety pins

behind that a pocket with:
primary compartment with a large ALS white smoke grenade
pistol magazine pouches on each side, each with a glock 17 magazine holding 17 rounds of 9mm federal hydrashock ammo

behind that a pouch with a PVS14 gen3 nightvision monocular

a pouch in the back containing:
garbage bags (2), datrex ration bars, plastic trowel, toilet paper, first aid kit

a pouch that holds a stainless steel water bottle

a holster for my glock 19, with TLR2s light/laser, and jpoint red dot sight, extended threaded barrel

a sheath containing my leatherman surge, a second sheath with bit set

Essentially this is the first piece of gear I put on, and is designed to provide the bare necessities. I have plans to upgrade and reorganize, as well as add to it. First order is to separate the first aid kit for quicker access to the first aid kit by separating it from the other gear.

Next I am waiting for some more funds to obtain a suppressor for my glock, which I plan to put in a pouch right in front of the night vision, or in front of my grenade/mag pouch depending on how it feels.

I will work on getting pictures up soon. Any suggestions are appreciated, what am I missing? (aside from a fixed blade knife, which I will take suggestions on as well)

tc556guy
06-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Next is the belt

Always have a question about the guys with belts, so I'll ask it here. I don't mean to pick on you

I started out in the Army in the days of LBEs, then LBVs....then finished with IOTVs etc.
In my civilian job I've worn a gun belt for years. Nowadays I wear the gun belt with suspenders to take the weight off my hips
Bottom line, why do none of you guys with these belts wear any sort of load-bearing suspenders....I see a ton of gear on a wait belt, and all I can think of is the long term effects of that weight without any of the burden being taken up by the shoulders.

My car kit has old school LBE , plus a work plate carrier that I can throw on if I needed to.
Not sure I'd want all that weight on my hips alone over a prolonged period.

izzyscout21
06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Bottom line, why do none of you guys with these belts wear any sort of load-bearing suspenders....I see a ton of gear on a wait belt, and all I can think of is the long term effects of that weight without any of the burden being taken up by the shoulders.

My car kit has old school LBE , plus a work plate carrier that I can throw on if I needed to.
Not sure I'd want all that weight on my hips alone over a prolonged period.

The designs of many of the belts negate the effectiveness of the belt. In some cases, suspenders are warranted when running heavier loads. In other instances, such as my example above, there is not enough weight to make much of a difference.

By design, many of your modern battle belts (not duty belts) are designed to cinch down very snugly, providing support to the user.

It all depends what you are using the belt for.

I usually dont like to run suspenders in conjunction with my vest unless I have to. Sometimes the vest and the suspender straps dont get along.

rep1270
06-12-2012, 01:53 AM
I do not have BOB. I can not bug out, medical reasons. I do like the list that some people have and it has given me ideas to where to increase my equipment. I have noticed one thing that some of you may like to add to your equipment and that is a stainless steel thermos. I used to put hot soup in with some rice or noodles and when I stopped for a break I did not have to heat something up to eat. I use a wide mouth thermos so it is easier get the food out. It may be a little heavy but having a hot meal when on the run can make a lot of difference.

bacpacker
06-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Welcome in Rep. I cant recall seeing you on before.

LUNCHBOX
06-12-2012, 09:44 AM
I'll say this in regards to the battle belt design. I run a drop leg rig for my secondary weapon and a knife (also a drop leg) and this set up takes plenty of the weight off the belt being attached to the legs. Of course if your belt needs suspenders then use them, I know I would. You always design your rig to fit your comfort level, not just to be like someone else.

2die4
06-13-2012, 09:16 PM
A leg rig would be the way to go for mobility purposes. Running with a firearm attached to your belt and no suspenders would be diificult in my opinion. Only drawback is would be robbers/troublemakers would know you are armed and your ability to catch them by surprise would be compromised.

izzyscout21
06-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Only problem with drop legs is they often times affect the way your body pumps blood to your legs. This can affect your stamina and mobility in a bad situation.......Ask me how I know.....

Not that I'm against drop legs, mind you. I run one now. But you have to be able to change equipment if need be. A drop leg is not the ideal solution to all pistol carrying needs.

GunnerMax
06-14-2012, 05:08 AM
for you guys with a safariland dropleg holster:
Eleven 10 Gear - Kydex SOF-T Tourniquet Case (http://www.1110gear.com/eleven-10-kydex-sof-t-tourniquet-case/)
and
Eleven 10 Gear - Kydex CAT Tourniquet Case (http://www.1110gear.com/eleven-10-kydex-cat-tourniquet-case/)

I have the CAT one for my dropleg. I am also getting a dropleg mag pouch to use up the other 2 holes for last ditch "oh shit!"

They come in Belt, MOLLE, and (what I ordered) Screws for the dropleg, which reduce the price some (down to $20). I dont like rubber bands because those friggin things like to pop back and snap my hand.

For the battlebelt with/without suspenders, I have 2 HSGI suspenders, with shock cord bungee. I will make sure to post reviews of my gear once it is set up. I plan on having an extensive thread, similar to Izzy's, but tailored to the Glock and AK, ammo heavy :cool:

LUNCHBOX
06-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Only problem with drop legs is they often times affect the way your body pumps blood to your legs. This can affect your stamina and mobility in a bad situation.......Ask me how I know.....

Not that I'm against drop legs, mind you. I run one now. But you have to be able to change equipment if need be. A drop leg is not the ideal solution to all pistol carrying needs.

Izzy, I agree the drop leg isn't a fix all weapon carrying system. I have a strike platform as a back up in my gear. You use what you can.

rep1270
06-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi backpacker I have not added much before. I have been preparing for quite some time but did not know about the sites until I started looking at fiction then the PAW sites. I do not get to the sites often but it is so much betterr than other things.

The Stig
06-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Hey rep....thanks for checking in and posting. Welcome to the colony!

ak474u
08-22-2012, 10:36 PM
ATS battle belt just arrived! Woo hoo, pics to follow.

The Stig
09-03-2012, 08:23 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/2012-09-03_15-07-42_184.jpg

Ok...ok...ok.

Brother Izzy was mocking me earlier for this but wanted to share my latest creation. I picked up a London Bridge Trading Company vest ($1 internet bux if you can guess from who) and some Eagle pouches in trade. Combining those with some existing pouches I put together this chest rig.

This is mostly for my masturbatory fantasies I freely admit that. I have no illusions that I'm gonna toss that over my head, whip on a war-belt and go all ninja.

That said, I thought this might an interesting addition to my stable of rigs (again mostly for kicks). Maybe it will generate some ideas for you.

BigJon
10-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I am new at getting ready for SHTF. What is Shemagh and where do I get quick clot and Celox. Great list! Thanks

ak474u
10-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I am new at getting ready for SHTF. What is Shemagh and where do I get quick clot and Celox. Great list! Thanks

A shemagh is the tablecloth you see middle easterners wearing, (houndstooth pattern) but its Black and Tan, or OD green, etc. quik clot can be found all over the Internet, you'll see varying prices on the different products out there as well.

izzyscout21
10-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Shemagh:

http://www.yourtacticalsolution.com/prodinfo/images%5C22997.jpg

The Stig
10-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Chinook Medical Gear (http://www.chinookmed.com/) is a good source for anticoagulants

greg48
12-18-2012, 03:10 PM
i was watching a show on one of the outdoor channels, had a guy demonstrating an emergency field dental kit. i have found places to buy the temporary filing, anyone know where to find a dental kit with the tools in a bag sutiable for field and travel etc...?

The Stig
12-18-2012, 03:15 PM
i was watching a show on one of the outdoor channels, had a guy demonstrating an emergency field dental kit. i have found places to buy the temporary filing, anyone know where to find a dental kit with the tools in a bag sutiable for field and travel etc...?

Chinook Medical has a nice kit (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01350/AT-MODS/-Dental-%28TMM-DE%29--------------------------------)

izzyscout21
12-18-2012, 05:33 PM
anyone know where to find a dental kit with the tools in a bag sutiable for field and travel etc...?

http://tightrope.cc/catalog/images/BrassKnuckles.jpg

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips6/tool_tips/needle_nose_small.jpg

http://www.jackdaniels.com/images/products/all-shadow.png

ak474u
12-18-2012, 06:10 PM
http://tightrope.cc/catalog/images/BrassKnuckles.jpg

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips6/tool_tips/needle_nose_small.jpg

http://www.jackdaniels.com/images/products/all-shadow.png

You're doing it all wrong! The whiskey needs to be the convenient "traveler size/homeless dude trench coat pocket version"
Where's your SAWC (size and weight constraints) discipline? Lol

izzyscout21
12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I'll leave a few mags at the house..........I can club someone with the bottle.

ak474u
12-18-2012, 06:57 PM
I'll leave a few mags at the house..........I can club someone with the bottle.

Then they'll need a dentist, it's a vicious circle. Lol

greg48
12-18-2012, 08:32 PM
i admire the attention to detail men, i think it is safe to say those that have spent time humping know how to pack, what to pack, what to pack it in. gonna try to get my list and a couple pics up here, i really like to see what others are doing, comparing notes...

izzyscout21
12-19-2012, 03:31 AM
For what it's worth, this month's issue of RECOIL has a great piece on building a quality BOB on a budget.

realist
12-19-2012, 04:14 AM
First time that I have heard of Recoil magazine. Thanks it looks interesting.

ak474u
01-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Took everything off my ATS Warbelt, and started over. BOK is staying in my versipack, so this is basically just a first line setup at this point. L to R. Wilco2A double magazine pouch (made by me) condor single mag pouch I've stuck with this one because it fits an AK or AR mag perfectly, and although I'd like a BFG pouch to lay flat when not in use, I wanted the acreage of MOLLE for the light you see attached which is a lightstick brand LS2N1 250 lumen light, dump pouch, at 6 o'clock, and Blackhawk dropleg holster raised up to outer thigh, just below the belt. Not shown: Wilco2A single mag pouch, and Wilco 2A multitool pouch. They're doing GHB duty, so I'll be duplicating them with new ones. I haven't really decided on a good knife for this setup, or my plate carrier, but I think to keep it light, I may go with a TDI and make a MOLLE sheath.

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/ak474u/ATS%20war%20belt/f7801fd1bdfa344d7c6cdbffb412f926.jpg

mitunnelrat
04-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Gear whores unite! Who made new revisions to their gear?

(I know somebody must have! Show us!)

ak474u
04-08-2013, 01:36 AM
Gear whores unite! Who made new revisions to their gear?

(I know somebody must have! Show us!)

Mine is pretty much the same still, but... I've gotten rid of the Blackhawk thigh rig for the 92 for now, and went ahead and mounted my kydex holster on the war belt. I need to make an OD holster for it, but my standard 1.75" kydex belt loops work perfectly on PALS webbing with no spaces between the webs, which was a nice surprise for sure.

mitunnelrat
04-14-2013, 08:37 AM
That would be a nice surprise. I love when things come together well.

That's actually what's spurring my own revisions. I'm back to a larger pack, which (of course) doesn't work well with a belt kit. So, I more or less went back to square one.

I'm working on a 9 layer EDC loadout, which includes vehicle items, and a small BOB that will fit in and comprise most of the larger pack. These are two of my last three layers, in order of priority.

Technically, the first 5 layers are all part of those I wear, but I classified them as: worn items, (eventually) 5.11 vest items (yes, a "shoot me first" vest, I need something motorcycle friendly, and this works), Pants pockets, Wallet items, and belt mounted items.

Layer 6 is my Maxpedition Versipack. Like the vest will be its more of a supplemental kit, and an option I won't always carry, but will have available, especially days I'm riding and the full BOB isn't feasible. I don't ride far so it'll be enough to get me home when used in conjunction with my worn EDC.

Lastly, I'm working out what I want for a trunk gun, so the final layer will be a drop leg kit supporting it.

The vest is an entire, independent kit. Likewise the vehicle, thigh rig, and BOB. The worn items form a complete system between them, with my wallet being the primary "survival" kit. Its too small for a mylar blanket and emergency poncho, so I wear cargo pants for that :D

For the contents I expanded and used John D McCann's system from "Build the Perfect Survival Kit" to establish categories, and selected appropriately sized items for each layer. The categories I've filled are:

Physical Security; Medical, Trauma; Shelter & Protection; Fire & Light; Water; Medical; Illness; Sanitation & Hygiene; Food; Navigation; Knives & Tools; Communication; Morale, Welfare, and Recreation; Multi-Purpose Items; and Miscellaneous Items. The order is specific too, as it falls in line with the Rule of 3's.

Finally, while I don't classify it as EDC per se, I have a list of equipment I have/ want for my daily driver that focuses on the tools, parts, supplies, and equipment it needs to keep it running and secure my gear from theft. I still need to do the same on a smaller scale for my bike.

Let's just say its a work in progress, but I'll have it eventually, and its only Stage 1.

Stage 2 of the emergency loadout is filling the large BOB from the same categories. Most of the work will be done with the small BOB from above, so I don't think this will take much.

Stage 3 gets into INCH proportions, which includes a dedicated, motorized BOV, but will have an emphasis on non-motorized travel. I'm still thinking on this too.

Stage 4 will be caching, but that's getting beyond the scope of load outs and more into the realm of strategic planning, imo.

David Armstrong
05-24-2013, 03:58 PM
On-going and increasing health issue have forced me to come to the realization that any significant "escape on foot" considerations are now completely out of the question. While that is problematic on one level it does simplify things on another level. I've passed the AR15 and all its goodies on to my daughter while I moved up to an M1 Garand. That got the mag pouches off the belt-line and instead moved me to an Olangapo Grab & Go pouch. No more heavy sleeping bag, instead just a poncho and poncho liner for the BOB. More quick energy snack-type items as opposed to balanced full meals, water pouches ILO a water purifier, and so on. Still have plenty of the bigger and heavier things, just don't even consider them in terms of "I have to hump this stuff myself."

ak474u
05-24-2013, 04:38 PM
I saw a cool idea on a YouTube vid the other day... Thehossusmc did a bob video, with a large, top loading pack, I think it may have been a cfp90? While his bag isn't done the way I would do it, he had one ingenious addition to it that I never would've considered. A TRASH CAN! Not a large one, but the Rubbermaid kind that you might put under an office desk. It gave the internal main compartment a semi rigid shape, and doubles as a bulk water gathering container. I may try this with a cut down trash can, or even a Tupperware type container for one of my bags. If it were done right, it might even provide an easy way to empty a bag's main compartment in a self contained manor for sorting equipment, or making camp etc.

The Stig
06-15-2013, 12:51 AM
I saw a cool idea on a YouTube vid the other day... Thehossusmc did a bob video, with a large, top loading pack, I think it may have been a cfp90? While his bag isn't done the way I would do it, he had one ingenious addition to it that I never would've considered. A TRASH CAN! Not a large one, but the Rubbermaid kind that you might put under an office desk. It gave the internal main compartment a semi rigid shape, and doubles as a bulk water gathering container. I may try this with a cut down trash can, or even a Tupperware type container for one of my bags. If it were done right, it might even provide an easy way to empty a bag's main compartment in a self contained manor for sorting equipment, or making camp etc.

This idea is rather awesome.

The Stig
06-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Made some changes to my plate carrier. A plate carrier is part of a "an emergency loadout" albeit for very specific scenarios.

First, I replaced the standard hydration carrier with a TAG Combat Sustainment Pack. I saw a guy at the Charlotte Airport wearing one of these and I'm such a gear dork I ran over to him to ask what it was. When I found out it could be direct molly attached I figured it would be a good addition to the plate carrier.

The most logical use for me to use a plate carrier would be either a rifle class that requires them or doing post-hurricane neighborhood watch. For both missions having a combo hydration carrier with additional storage seems like a good idea to me. Toss clean socks, some nourishment or extra trauma gear in there and you can be near self-sufficent.

There is a pass-through for the hydration carrier and I'll fiddle with routing that later when I have more time.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/7ADC6A30-304A-467F-91B8-43D027EB01C4-29954-000016725E05D70F_zps4d058f4b.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/7ADC6A30-304A-467F-91B8-43D027EB01C4-29954-000016725E05D70F_zps4d058f4b.jpg.html)

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/ED6EA2B1-C8E4-466F-B32E-A90E5BF5D239-29954-0000167265BA0C34_zps61072e6e.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/ED6EA2B1-C8E4-466F-B32E-A90E5BF5D239-29954-0000167265BA0C34_zps61072e6e.jpg.html)

TAG Combat Sustainment Pack
The Combat Sustainment Pack is a small lightweight pack that can be used for missions when you are patrolling into a target area hitting a target and then leaving. Used to compliment small chest rig load outs when more ammunition, water and medical gear may be needed. This allows the operator to go into harms way without changing his standard patrol set up. The CSP is also great when used as a bail out bag while in transit in a vehicle. Can be hung over the back of any seat, and provides quick access to ammunition if fighting from the vehicle as well.

The pack is designed to carry 3 extra 5.56 magazines, one extra pistol magazine, small folding knife or multi-tool. One extra quart of water via canteen, Nalgene bottle or Source Kangaroo pouch. Add ons to your blow out kit like an extra C-A-T Tourniquet, Quick Clot combat gauze, and extra Emergency Trauma Dressings. The middle pouch is for the CCB (combat casualty bag) used to carry a down mans kit while he is being moved, treated and extracted, or if not needed you will have extra room for other kit.

Pack can be MOLLE mounted or carried with the built in (also removable) pack straps. Holds a 100oz hydration bladder too (not included). CCB is included with this pack. Made in America.

The Stig
06-15-2013, 01:21 AM
I had a ITW Fastmag mounted about 10 o'clock as a "go-to" mag pouch. In other words, that's the first position I would reach for mag changes. It made for a convenient and fast mag change after endless reps.

While the fastmag is a handy item it is subject to dropping the mag when you go prone. Spewing mags on the deck isn't overly handy. After some searching I decided to give the HSGI Taco a try.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/ke4pr.p5xt7/v/vspfiles/photos/HSG.312-2T.jpg?1329079572

The mag sits much deeper and adjusting the tension on the mag is far easier. Mounting these make you want to say words like @(@#(@# and @^!(#)* and furthermore (@*#)@&*&*. Holy crap. I did find the use of a Molly Stix (a new product at SKD Tactical) made mounting far easier.

I went with the double decker to move pistol ammo off the front of the plates and allow me to lay lower prone.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/913CC6A1-8BED-45D6-B820-2446BD7DDC50-29954-000016860C8E0624_zps9587d65c.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/913CC6A1-8BED-45D6-B820-2446BD7DDC50-29954-000016860C8E0624_zps9587d65c.jpg.html)

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/E7C2531D-9E30-4112-AE4C-602242795420-29954-0000168604447D12_zpsb367a236.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/E7C2531D-9E30-4112-AE4C-602242795420-29954-0000168604447D12_zpsb367a236.jpg.html)

So far doing dry work in the office it seems to be mounted well and feels good. That, of course, means diddly so I look forward to getting these out in the real world.

Which leads me to a slight modification to allow for training in a PC.....

The Stig
06-15-2013, 01:24 AM
I invested in a set of training plates from Team Wendy.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2600/doxiokho/products/200/images/192/ESAPI_Non-_Ballistic_Training_Chest_Plates__64637__79130.135 8363435.700.700.jpg

These allow you to duplicate the weight and size of real plates without exposing your rifle plates to potential damage and cracking. Just remember to switch them out when you are done training!

More info HERE (http://store.teamwendy.com/esapi-non-ballistic-training-plate/)

cwconnertx
06-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I invested in a set of training plates from Team Wendy.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server2600/doxiokho/products/200/images/192/ESAPI_Non-_Ballistic_Training_Chest_Plates__64637__79130.135 8363435.700.700.jpg

These allow you to duplicate the weight and size of real plates without exposing your rifle plates to potential damage and cracking. Just remember to switch them out when you are done training!

More info HERE (http://store.teamwendy.com/esapi-non-ballistic-training-plate/)

I need some of those.

I also look forward to a review of the mag pouches. I try new things all the time, but my current rifle mag pouches are from tyr tactical (as is my armor, Pico-MV and brokos belt)

I like them, but always considering something better.

The Stig
06-16-2013, 02:11 AM
Ok...evolution continues. Just exchanged the triple open-topped mag pouches for a double closed top style. They are either LBTC or Eagle Ind....can't really recall.

Also moved the compass pouch (that contains an izzy bandage and a small packet of celox) from the front the triple shingle to directly on the plate carrier.

I've also added a EESE Izula knife and moved the TQ that used to be on the front of the triple shingle over to the side of the plate.

All of this is aimed at making going prone far easier.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/58B59218-43E7-4144-A8A1-6A9EB79EB3D5-30205-000016EC9BB5C746_zps5eefaa8b.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/58B59218-43E7-4144-A8A1-6A9EB79EB3D5-30205-000016EC9BB5C746_zps5eefaa8b.jpg.html)

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/15AA3D48-0970-40E7-B7A6-D7BB59B5B4C9-30205-000016ECA2693F1A_zpsf8335b02.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/15AA3D48-0970-40E7-B7A6-D7BB59B5B4C9-30205-000016ECA2693F1A_zpsf8335b02.jpg.html)

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/52394325-BA6A-4599-A26A-2F97CFA0C721-30205-000016ECA7FC24CE_zps62559aac.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/52394325-BA6A-4599-A26A-2F97CFA0C721-30205-000016ECA7FC24CE_zps62559aac.jpg.html)

It will be a week or so until I get to the range but the next session will be carbines and I will take the LMAC with me to try it out shooting from various positions including right on the deck. I'm not sure I'm digging this but we'll see. I don't like the idea of only having 4 total mags but let's face it, even if the entire country melts down I'm too old to run-n-gun. Most likely will be a very brief self-defense type scenario.

I'll deal with that errant hydration tube later on.

MegaCPC
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Did some revamping on the BOB, which is now a GHB. I downsized from the large ALICE to a Camelbak Linchpin, which surprisingly holds everything I crammed into it, and pretty comfortably too. I originally bought the Camelbak as just an outdoors rig for hiking and biking, but I loaded it with my 72hr load out for fun and it turned out almost perfect.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/001_zps911a999f.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/001_zps911a999f.jpg.html)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/002_zps45403504.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/002_zps45403504.jpg.html)

Contents:
3L hydration bladder

Main pouch:
Extra pants and shirt, double zip-locked, hopefully waterproof.
Small hygiene kit
3 freeze dried meals
Hand crank radio w/ siren and light/strobe.

Top pocket:
Socks and foot care stuff, half a roll of TP, multi fuel backpacking stove, and sunglasses.:cool:

Side pocket 1:
Waterproofed fire starting kit packed inside a canteen cup w/ box of strike anywhere matches, 2 Bic lighters, flint and steel, and some trioxane tablets. Also in this pocket is a small propane canister for my backpacking stove.

Side pocket 2:
60rnds 30-30 (I can fit more, and will when I find it):rolleyes:

Main front pocket:
Basic first aid kit w/ some trauma items
Basic hand tools and Leatherman multi-tool
Small LED flashlight
2 sharpies, orange and black
25ft 550 cord
100rnds .22LR
Small amount of duct and electrical tape
Small tube of super glue

Small front pocket:
Maps of my area
Compass
Folding knife
Small signaling mirror

In between the Main and front pockets, there is a "dump" area where I keep a collapsible canteen with 2 quarts of water for cooking/extra hydration. This can be cinched down so it won't fall out. A KABAR will be attached to one of the main shoulder straps for easy access.

Some things I'm going to add are some tent stakes, and a tarp, for a makeshift shelter. I was also thinking about adding another very small emergency fire starting kit, just in case the main one gets lost or wet. I'll probably take a hint from Izzy and add a small flask with some good liquor as well, just in case.

Here's the just-about-fully-stuffed Linchpin along side a half-packed large ALICE for comparison:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/003_zps87e3f4ec.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/003_zps87e3f4ec.jpg.html)

If anyone has any criticisms or suggestions, please chime in. I am very open to suggestions. This is a work in progress and aside from a 10 mile hike, I have not gotten a chance to thoroughly test it yet.

MegaCPC
06-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Next is my ohshitibetterstartshootingback rig that I just started. I recently picked up a plate carrier, and haven't got plates for it or set it up yet, but here it is anyway:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/004_zps4e41c97c.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/004_zps4e41c97c.jpg.html)

Hopefully I will have an updated version in the near future.

bacpacker
06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
I like the set up for a GHB. Sounds like most all bases are covered very well. One thing I missed was some method of purifing additional water. I have multiple purifiers, but keep treatment tabs or crystals in my GHB for lighter weight/easier to deal with quickly. I don't think I saw a headlamp listed either.

How does the linch pin compare to the Camelback Mule? I've been looking at one of those for a GHB.

MegaCPC
06-19-2013, 08:35 PM
I knew I was forgetting something.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/005_zps70f0ce0d.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/005_zps70f0ce0d.jpg.html)

In that little pouch pocket on the canteen cover there are some purification tablets, but I'm planning on getting a dedicated water filter for this pack. It will probably be a Katadyn Hiker, as I have heard lots of good things about them.

I didn't even think to include a headlamp as I already had a flashlight, but going by the 2 is 1 rule, now I'll probably toss my headlamp in there too. Thank you for the tips.

I don't have any experience with the MULE, but my dad had one of the early ones and I remember it being pretty small. Checking Camelbak's website, the Linchpin (http://shop.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/linchpin/d/1123_c_401_cl_918) has approx. 1800 cubic inches of space, compared to the MULE (http://shop.camelbak.com/Military-Tactical/mil-tac-mule/d/1092_c_401_cl_1344) which has 671 cubic inches. The non-military/tactical version of the MULE (http://shop.camelbak.com/mule-nv/d/1005_c_110_cl_3924) has 732 cubic inches. So the Linchpin has almost 3 times as much storage space, and I've got mine packed pretty full.

The only thing I wish this one had was some MOLLE webbing on the front pouch for additional attachments, but I think it might get too heavy for it's size with anything else strapped to it. I would just relocate the first aid kit to the outside of the pack for easier access.

bacpacker
06-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the review of the MULE. The bag you have just reminded me of it.

I have been using headlamps for so long, they just come natural to me now. I do keep flashlights around in various bags, etc. but the headlamp is what I reach for first.

I to have added stuff on different packs and screwed up the balance. It's not really worth adding much to an existing pack. Better to go with a bigger bag, unless it's just something for a small amount, like a FAK or fire kit.

izzyscout21
06-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Next is my ohshitibetterstartshootingback rig that I just started.

LMAO

I'll probably take a hint from Izzy and add a small flask with some good liquor as well, just in case.

if you have to use the
ohshitibetterstartshootingback rig , you might have need for it.

Glad I can contribute to the colony's alcoholism rate.;)

bourneshooter
06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Naturally, gear setup changes.

My BOB has stayed the same, with only updating the kit packed in it with newer or better stuff.

REI UL-45 (I think that’s the model #)
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSC02758.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/bacon/DSC02758.jpg.html)

The fighting gear, has changed more for what I need or find newer lighter pouches to use.

First Line “Warbelt”
From This:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/GUNS/DSCN2200.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/GUNS/DSCN2200.jpg.html)

to this:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN2107.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/bacon/DSCN2107.jpg.html)

To this:
From center of buckle moving clockwise:
Blue Force Gear SOC-C belt with Ares Gear Liner
Mayflower R&C GP
Safariland DFA shroud with QLS setup for multiple pistols.
Pictured is a Strider on shroud, now a TQ in a 11-10 Kydex pouch
ATS single mag pouch (flashlight)
pictured is a Buttpack, that’s a mission dependant thing
TYR Dump pouch
Blue Force Gear 10 speed rifle and pistol
Left:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN2457.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/bacon/DSCN2457.jpg.html)

Right:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN2459.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/bacon/DSCN2459.jpg.html)

Part 1 of 2

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I can't post any more photos since its trying to merge the previous post with the next one.

So I will finish this whenever I can post more.

bourneshooter
06-23-2013, 11:15 AM
First Line EDC/Enhanced EDC:
Raven Phantom (naturally) with a Pocket DARK from Dark Angel Medical in a pocket and this from Raven Concealment:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN2529.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/bacon/DSCN2529.jpg.html)

2nd’ Line – Chest rig and plate carriers.

Plate Carrier. Personal plate setup has changed. First one was for SHTF as well as Work. Then I got issued one for work (its changed since the picture). Last one is my personal one at the moment, more for SHTF use than anything else.

Backs of the carriers all include a hydration carrier. The last two also have a utility pouch and the DARC drag strap.

First One: (Picture is reversed due to a mirror being used)
Tactical Tailor Releasable Carrier.
L of pic to R
Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit Now/Tourniquet Now
Strider DB-L with Glock mag attached to sheath
Single M-4 in Blue force Gear 10-Speed
Double M-4 Diamond Back Tactical
Leatherman MUT
Blackwater Gear Utility
FHF Gear Handwarmer on the bottom

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/GUNS/IMAG0581.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/GUNS/IMAG0581.jpg.html)

Second:
Blue Force Gear LMAC (Setup has changed some since this picture)
L to R
ATS GP
ATS triple M-4/Glock
Leatherman Mut
TQ
NAR IFAK

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/GUNS/DSCN2224.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/GUNS/DSCN2224.jpg.html)

Third:
Blue Force Gear LMAC
L to R
Blackwater Gear GP
Top – Paraclete Medical/Firing Systems Pouch
ATS triple M-4/Glock
Diamondback Tactical Double M-4
First Spear Med Pocket

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN2533.jpg (http://s52.photobucket.com/user/Mattlevi/media/bacon/DSCN2533.jpg.html)

The Stig
06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Great looking setups bourneshooter. Thanks for sharing them with us.

The Stig
06-24-2013, 04:15 PM
Ok...so here's my revised version of a "fighting bag". Since I don't really have any plans for bugging short of very specific scenarios I don't really have a true bug out bag in the traditional sense.

Its a London Bridge Trading Company jumpable 3-day assault pack. While I love the maxpedition gear, I've upgraded to the LBTC for this bag.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/BD57D9D3-D79C-41F7-B39B-ED8F4A2BAC8F-37468-00001B376BFC8ADB_zps513a9558.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/BD57D9D3-D79C-41F7-B39B-ED8F4A2BAC8F-37468-00001B376BFC8ADB_zps513a9558.jpg.html)

I've added a Marz combo medical pack/three mag shingle and a 2 mag shingle to the front side of the pack. This gives me some additional ammo capacity along with easy access to additional first aid supplies. Tucked underneath is a USGI buttpack thingy. I've got a fleece/nylon coated blanket in there for ground cover, warmth, shelter, etc.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/DF14C569-2206-4422-BED0-EF591F1335AA-37468-00001B3772EB0FC1_zps972f7172.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/DF14C569-2206-4422-BED0-EF591F1335AA-37468-00001B3772EB0FC1_zps972f7172.jpg.html)

On this side is the integrated radio pouch and pop-flare pouch. The pop-flare pouch has a multitool, screw driver and some other smaller tools in it.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/248A6FA5-4FE5-4B47-9348-8FCA9D1D894B-37468-00001B377900B4FA_zps13bd2d60.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/248A6FA5-4FE5-4B47-9348-8FCA9D1D894B-37468-00001B377900B4FA_zps13bd2d60.jpg.html)

One of these pop-flare pouches has a roll of 550 cord in it (fits perfectly). The other has MRE peanut butter and drink mix packets in an old prescription medicine bottle. You can also see the additional mag pouch from the front view picture.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/0CAF1D88-B86D-4A91-8C2E-D1AE57702409-37468-00001B377F2995A5_zps8ef79b83.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/0CAF1D88-B86D-4A91-8C2E-D1AE57702409-37468-00001B377F2995A5_zps8ef79b83.jpg.html)

This is a shot into the Marz med pouch showing the various izzy bandages, gauze, triangle bandages, chest seals, shears, etc.

Next, I'll go into the bag's internal contents.

The Stig
06-24-2013, 04:43 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/243C82DA-F0C4-4E48-A13C-3002322DFF53-37543-00001B48C4E1AFCD_zpsfcb00c1d.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/243C82DA-F0C4-4E48-A13C-3002322DFF53-37543-00001B48C4E1AFCD_zpsfcb00c1d.jpg.html)

In the front pocket (you an see it open just above the top of the tan colored med pouch with the SHTFready ant patch on it) you find a number of "convenience items" such as bug spray, wipes, toliet paper, a small compass, a small generic shovel, some and batteries.

Just in doing this I've realized I need to add in: hand sanatizer goo, a pair of Surefire ear pro and some water purification tablets.

I'm also going to add more batteries for the NVG.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/0052c843-4d04-4e74-b874-92786b98e306_zps6bdf44a5.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/0052c843-4d04-4e74-b874-92786b98e306_zps6bdf44a5.jpg.html)

In the "intermediate pocket" I've got a spare pair of BDUs, another shirt, spare gloves and 4 pairs of dry socks (with foot powder).

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/d12e187f-e061-449d-9b57-1a773e88f193_zps7b48fbdd.jpg (http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/ltlabner/media/d12e187f-e061-449d-9b57-1a773e88f193_zps7b48fbdd.jpg.html)

In the main pocket I've got a small chestrig that's pressed into service as a bandoleer of sorts. 60 rounds of M855 plus to Glock 22 mags. That is last ditch, I have completely fucked up everything since I woke up sorta ammo.

The larger plastic bag is two MREs with the heater tray.

The smaller plastic bag is a "fire kit" with emergency candle, waterpoof matches, flint, a tin of lint, fuel tablets, etc.

The black round thing is an Otis rifle cleaning kit.

MegaCPC
07-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Still waiting on some stuff to complete the carrier but I had some fun in the meantime.

Tactical BBQ setup:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/006_zpsbc5d9e43.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/006_zpsbc5d9e43.jpg.html)

The Stig
07-10-2013, 11:58 PM
NICE!

Where do you stow the ribs on that setup?

izzyscout21
07-12-2013, 01:10 AM
^^LMAO

I'm currently working on revamping my setup.

Hope to have pics up soon

ak474u
07-12-2013, 01:15 PM
^^LMAO

I'm currently working on revamping my setup.

Hope to have pics up soon

Working on mine too. Gonna make a holster for my 92A1 + TLR-1 for my battle belt. Almost feel like I NEED it on my first line gear for the coming days. Moved to a better neighborhood, but ya never know with some current events.

izzyscout21
07-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Still waiting on some stuff to complete the carrier but I had some fun in the meantime.

Tactical BBQ setup:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/006_zpsbc5d9e43.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/006_zpsbc5d9e43.jpg.html)

Upon further inspection of your pic, I'm reminded that I've not had any Rolling Rock since high school......... may be time to revisit an old friend. :)

Stormfeather
07-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Upon further inspection of your pic, I'm reminded that I've not had any Rolling Rock since high school......... may be time to revisit an old friend. :)

You should always re-visit old friends from time to time, just to keep those old memories alive!

Del461
07-13-2013, 01:48 AM
Tagged

MegaCPC
07-14-2013, 10:02 AM

It's decent for a cheap brew. I really prefer a stout or a good IPA, but RR was reeeeaaaallly cheap. Couldn't resist.

In reality, the beer pouch holds 60-80 rounds of loose ammo (my oh shit gun is a lever) and the med kit is a tear away pouch with the essentials: Israeli bandages, CAT tourniquet, quikclot, shears, tape, etc.

izzyscout21
08-15-2013, 06:52 PM
OK, ok.

Who's updated their setups?

MOAR PICS!!

mitunnelrat
08-17-2013, 03:05 AM
No. I've updated my opsec procedures with my gear. ;)

Ok ok. lol. I'll get some pics up when my latest purchases arrive, how about that?

I wish they'd hurry up. I am a high speed, low drag space shuttle door gunner due to deploy next week you know.

The Stig
03-29-2014, 11:24 PM
I broke out my BCM03 harness last weekend and it reminded me that it's an insanely capable piece of gear. I plan on working in this rig as much as possible when I go to the range/training sessions because it's just that good.

So here's the original configuration:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/IMG_0346.jpg

After the first carbine class with this rig I ditched the sheers, added an ITW fast mag as a "go to" mag change pouch, and moved some other things around.

Over the years I've changed and tweaked things around. Here's how it looks today:

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/DAE5FA6B-D0DE-4637-B079-3C473CE119F6_zpsc9wkd9iw.jpg

The Stig
03-29-2014, 11:36 PM
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/B931244E-F711-4E94-8E14-45B8887504CA_zpstsc1w1ds.jpg

I replaced the ITW Fastmag with a HSGI taco for the "go to" mag change pouch. This does a far better job holding the mag securely while still allowing for a rapid mag change. This gives me a total of 3 AR mags on the left side as my primary mag locations and 90 rounds of hate and discontent (150 rounds total)

Added a Tactical Tailor magna-mag pouch to the front of the left outboard native mag pouch. This gives me two side arm refills. The magna-mag system uses a small magnet to keep the mags secure when the retaining tabs are not in place. I had one on the original setup but it was not in an ideal place for reloads.

An HSGI blowout kit serves as the IFAK and has secure storage for sheers. It's hard to see but the pouch has an integrated strap to hold the sheers into place. This is far more secure than my original setup (which tended to catch on the rifle sling as I went from low ready to firing position).

The Tactical Tailor dump pouch rounds out the left side. I was able to secure this to the existing waist strap of the BCM03 harness and it's locked into place. I like this pouch because you can cinch down the drawstring at the top and keep mags from popping out. I used this last weekend at a training session and the pouch is easy to reach and in a comfortable spot.

That's a 5.11 comms pouch on the back of the BCM hydration carrier. Currently I have no real comms setup (total fail on my part) but I wanted to be able to put something there and this basic pouch can serve the purpose.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee427/ltlabner/E0977CCA-B7DC-4D6B-8DD9-7FA47DC1B20D_zpsrzddhp4i.jpg

I added a First Spear Admin pouch which is slightly larger than the two integrated mag pouches on the harness. I just added that today. I want to see how far that will stick out and if it will interfere with the draw of my sidearm (off to another training session.....weee!) before I give it a final determination. I don't really *need* an admin pouch and the harness has two pockets already (not shown on the back of the mag pouches) so it's not shy for storage. We'll see about that change.

It did make for a nice place for the ant head patch and my name-tape however.

The TQ was moved to the center-line so it's held in place by a Blue Force Gear TQ now retainer and the front retaining straps of the harness itself. Best yet, it's right on the center-line of my body so it's easier for me to grab ambidextrously.

bacpacker
03-30-2014, 01:36 AM
I still like that harness. New set up seems even more useful.

LUNCHBOX
03-30-2014, 02:36 AM
I am glad this thread got revisited. Since l just moved and switched my primary weapon....l need to update my rig soon. Pics to follow.

Del461
04-01-2014, 06:03 PM
Tagged for interest

mitunnelrat
04-07-2014, 03:42 AM
I totally forgot about this thread soon after I last posted, but I'll get a new pic up asap. I have a Marz Combat Medic Pouch mounted on a TT Mini-MAV that I think will be a good fit for one of the roles I'm educating and training for.

mitunnelrat
04-08-2014, 03:10 AM
Ok, here it is: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG_20140407_212402_069_zps16cb0c05.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/mitunnelrat/media/IMG_20140407_212402_069_zps16cb0c05.jpg.html)
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/IMG_20140407_212529_502_zpsd261dc75.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/mitunnelrat/media/IMG_20140407_212529_502_zpsd261dc75.jpg.html)

I tried loading it as something of an E&E kit, but felt like it got too heavy for its size, so I decided to see how much of a difference a load of med supplies would make. I don't have everything I want or need yet, and the current contents are subject to change, but so far I do have:

In the loops -
2, izzy dressings
1, compressed gauze
Tweezers
Plastic sheeting (improvised chest seal)
Triangular bandage
4, tongue depressors
Emergency blanket

I (obviously) used the drawstring to dummy cord some med tape in.

In the mesh pocket -
Eletrolyte packet
2, 3" x ? Gauze rolls
10, 4" x 4" gauze pads
A gauze compression sleeve I cant remember the name of
SAM Splint
10, bandaids
2 doses, Immodium
4 doses, 200 mg Motrin
4 doses, 25 mg antihistamine

I know, off the top of my head, that I need: exam gloves, an exam light, head lamp, shears, and at least 2 ea. in CAT's, NPA's, and Asherman or Hyfin chest seals, and chest decomp needles.

Oh, and training. I think any additional certs I carry will only help in a couple years.

bacpacker
04-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Good looking set up. Pretty well stocked.

Fidel MD
04-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Good start. Make sure the tweezers you carry will do what you want (they have to be sharp for splinter removal, for example). You can use the plastic wrapper from something as a chest seal, until you get a good one.

Gloves are cheap, they don't have to be sterile. A flashlight and headlamp from other gear is fine. Dummy cord your shears or use a retractable lanyard.

mitunnelrat
04-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys. Good point (amongst the others) on the tweezers, Fidel. I'll add upgrading them to my to-do list as I work through it all.

mitunnelrat
04-14-2014, 06:10 AM
Hey Fidel, when you say "good start" is there anything more you think I should have, or is it more because I don't have it finished yet? After some review I can see I also lack hemostatic agents, for which I'm thinking four Quikclot Combat Gauze, and a skin marker/ sharpie. Otherwise I feel like I pretty much have the basics covered.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-15-2014, 12:34 AM
Good start. Make sure the tweezers you carry will do what you want (they have to be sharp for splinter removal, for example). You can use the plastic wrapper from something as a chest seal, until you get a good one.

Gloves are cheap, they don't have to be sterile. A flashlight and headlamp from other gear is fine. Dummy cord your shears or use a retractable lanyard.

On the "sucking chest wound" we were trained to use something as simple as an ID/credit card, drivers license from their wallet. doubles for identifications as well. A little tape and it made a good seal..............oh and keep the short side open.

mitunnelrat
04-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Pirates carried valid ID and credit cards!? I can see how one would help keep their booty safe, but I'd have never thought...

More to the point, I'd have never thought to use a card like that to seal a chest wound. Thanks 'rat!

bacpacker
04-15-2014, 01:37 AM
I would have thought something more flexible would have worked better. A CC dont flex much. Guess thats not important..

SHTFCO
04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
I use the Kifaru Xing as my 72 hour Bug out Bag. Its a bombproof pack. if your not familiar with Kifaru Gear. I highly recommend them.

Here is what I keep with me 24/7 never know when SIGTHTF so I always stayed Prepared. Enjoy!

List of the Kit...
Kifaru Paratarp
Climate Pad
HPG Mountain Serape in a small 3 string kifaru stuff sack.
5x8 heat reflecting tarp (lay on ground in the Paratarp
Shemagh
3 liter 100oz Camelbak low profile bladder
Seirus xtreme gloves and a hat
Primus ETA Cook set with stove fuel and pot
Survival Candle from Bigsky
Surival evasion book also from Bigsky (Thanks again buddy)
Maxpedition case with all of my first aid kit
Rain coat (Forgot the brand but its a decent one)
TP
Esee 4
Buck Vantage Folder
Leatherman Rebar
Fenix PD35
Zebralight 502 headlamp
5 spare batteries Lithium 3.6 volts each (Both the Zebra and Fenix use these)
Garmin GPS60csx
Vortex Ranger 1000 Range Finder (Use this for its magnification and its a heck of a lot smaller to carry then my Binos)
Cold Steel Inferno 3.5 ounce can of kick ass
3 days worth of Energy Food, Energy Bars, Fruit nut candy mix, snickers, Justins PB, Tuna Packets, All lightweight high protien and calorie type stuff. Lots of drink mixes coffee and rehydrate Tablets This is in 2 of the Kifaru Pouches.
Another has my toiletry stuff, aka toothbrush toothpaste flossers Wipes.
Another Pouch has my Sawyer water filter with a back up 64 ounce Sawyer water pouch.
Last possible Pouch has my little stuff,

Wetfire, compass, another mini light, swiss army, 4 ways to start a fire, Matches flint steel bic lighter ect.

Almost forgot attached to the Xing is a KU Possible pouch which has 50 foot of paracord zipties and some other nylon twine.

All of this fits in the Xing

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/IMG_20140415_245350915_zpsvxaks6rp.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/IMG_20140415_245350915_zpsvxaks6rp.jpg.html)
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/IMG_20140415_245425466_zpsyhfxkorw.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/IMG_20140415_245425466_zpsyhfxkorw.jpg.html)
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/IMG_20140415_245435445_zpsxftsfk9e.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/IMG_20140415_245435445_zpsxftsfk9e.jpg.html)
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/IMG_20140415_245444605_zpssiswcoaf.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/IMG_20140415_245444605_zpssiswcoaf.jpg.html)
http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u416/sky3555/IMG_20140415_245452508_zpshqy8zauf.jpg (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/sky3555/media/IMG_20140415_245452508_zpshqy8zauf.jpg.html)

izzyscout21
05-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Great post SHTFCO! NIce loadout.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Pirates carried valid ID and credit cards!? I can see how one would help keep their booty safe, but I'd have never thought...

More to the point, I'd have never thought to use a card like that to seal a chest wound. Thanks 'rat!

You use what's available, use what's on "their" person, situation dictates my brother. I always carried my Iraqi Express card, never left the boat without it. It's like an "E" ticket ride at Disney World. :o

mitunnelrat
05-07-2014, 05:58 AM
Good point. I was with bp in thinking something more flexible though. Lessons learnes, and this is a prime example. I was obviously stuck in "the box"

Stormfeather
05-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Im glad BWRR brought that up! I had totally forgotten about that! It was in the basic FA class from the USMC that they taught us this! I guess I am still thinking about the hyfinn chest seals and geardo stuff Ive got and forgot about the KISS basics! Thanks!

bourneshooter
05-28-2015, 09:27 PM
I've split my gear thoughts into close to home/far from home setups and then further into "stand and fight" vs "get home" thoughts.

Close to home (150 miles) I will go light and fast. Far from home, thats where the big pack/ammo/food needs come into play.

Stand and fight is where Plate Carriers, camo, NOD's, etc for home/community defense and patrolling come into play. Getting home is where its all about avoiding fights and moving home. I'm less likely to have body armor, more likely to be carrying more food/water (I live in the desert so water is key).

Food prep wise I went from using a Jetboil unless close to home due to its use of canister's that are good for about 2-3 days of 1 person use. The new plan is to use a BioLite stove due to it being fire based so as long as I have something to burn, it will work. I carry a GSI pot set to cook on it, or around a normal fire. This will also provide more food options than what was possible with the Jetboil. I can cook for more than just me if its family/group survival time as well.

Food supplies: Close to home I use Mountain House and keep enough for 3 or so days worth of movement. In addition to that is rotation of POGEY bait, peanut butter, etc. If going to be longer distance from home than the 150 miles, I keep a bit more food in the vehicle and usually a extra 2 days worth or so of food gets added to the pack.

Water: 3 liters worth of Nalgene/Liberty Bottle in the back regardless of distance. In addition if further a 2 liter MSR Dromedary is kept empty in the pack. A pack of 16oz plastic bottles is kept in the vehicle to pre hydrate and fill it with as well as provide to family/friends who aren't as ready. Water is hard to find, but if located a filter or purification tool is on hand.

Clothing. Layers in earth tones. Sometimes a layer is in Multicam or ATACs as either work here. Minimal is ideal as its weight that you have to move.

Ammo:
Close: 6 M4 mags max, 5 or so Glock mags minimum.
Far: 6-10 M4 mags, 10 or so Glock mags. Then a few hundred "loose" rounds in boxes in the sustainment gear that if space allows gets added to the packs if vehicles go down.

LBE: in addition to EDC
Close - usually a Blue Force Gear 6 pack, EGL Chest Rig or similar.
Far- Same options but a plate carrier might get added just in case getting home is not plausible for a while.

Pack:
NON MOLLE style pack - usually a REI style (REI, Osprey, The North Face, etc).

I want to get a new First Spear pack for close to home community defense/patrolling called the Special Missions Pack.

I do look at my LBE setup and its relation to carrying under a loaded pack. This blog post I did covered and shows how that works:
http://www.bluelinesheepdog.blogspot.com/2015/02/egl-custom-3-mag-vocr.html