PDA

View Full Version : Mustard as Burn Cream

TOOTHPICK
06-26-2011, 08:22 PM
A few years ago I burned myself on piece of metal I heated up with a torch, A lady I knew told me to use mustard on the burn and it would sooth the pain and heat. I figured she was full of it and shrugged it off. Later that night my fingers started burning even worse, I used ice, "minor" burn cream, holding it under cold water, you know, the usual "tough guys stuff"... I decided hell what would it hurt if I tried a little mustard. I'll be damned if it didn't work wonders! I was totally surprised in the way it cooled and soothed my fingers, and fairly quickly too! I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this or has used it before. Now I keep about 5 packets of mustard in my BOB, a few in my GHB, and a few in my tool bag in my truck. I also have the norm burn wraps and burn gels, but I would be willing to use the mustard first! Any thoughts?!

piranha2
06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I have heard it, but never tried or believed it. I will now.

bacpacker
06-27-2011, 01:00 AM
Never heard of mustard, sounds like I need to get a few packets to keep handy.

One off the wall thing I have found that works. Lavender Essintial Oil. I had read about it in a herbal healer book I have in the library. My wife burnt her hand on a cookie sheet that had been sitting on a burner heating up. She picked it up and burned her fingers white and just to the point of blisters. We got her hand in ice water right away. As soon as it let up enough for her to pull her hand out of the water we coated her fingers in the lavender oil and wrapped her hand in gause. The fingers looked nasty. Next morning we unwrapped her hand and while her fingers were still pretty red, the whiteness and all signs of blistering was gone. she was really having no pain at that point. We coated it again and by that night the redness was on it's way out as well. We've kept some around since then.

LUNCHBOX
06-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Toothpick, I'm worried about you, first treating burns with mustard, next it will be plugging gunshot wounds with peanut butter--lol. I like it when its a simple/easy cure.

bacpacker
06-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Look at it this way, if you don't get hurt, you can still eat it.

piranha2
06-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Toothpick, I'm worried about you, first treating burns with mustard, next it will be plugging gunshot wounds with peanut butter--lol. I like it when its a simple/easy cure.

Plugging gunshot wounds with peanut butter, have to try that.

TOOTHPICK
06-27-2011, 08:19 PM

No, Lunchbox, I believe I use peanut butter on toast, I won't tell the guys what you use it for! hahah, by the way, how you healing down there from that bite wound?! J/K! Although, peanut butter has some other uses! Leather cleaner, lubricant (lawnmower blades and tool handles in the winter), hell even shaving cream, just to name a few!

Thor827
06-27-2011, 09:12 PM
It's true, it does work.
I learned this trick as a 15 year old fast food cook. Pickle juice also works. I think it might be the vinegar in both that does the trick.

Sniper-T
09-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Although, peanut butter has some other uses! Leather cleaner, lubricant (lawnmower blades and tool handles in the winter), !

I do hope you're kidding about this!!! I use peanut butter as bait in my pail traps for mice. If I don't check it for a few days they'll sometimes pile up high enough that they can reach the baitline, and chew through plastic pails, and chew the paint off steel ones. I can't imagine what I'd have left in the spring if I lubed and cleaned a bunch of stuff in my garden shed.

ROFL!!

izzyscout21
09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
I had never heard about this, but it gives me a second use for the mustard packets in my BOB.