PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Wildfires

The Stig
08-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Original story HERE (http://www.kptv.com/story/23163674/the-dalles-wildfire-blackburn-fire) on Fox 12 Oregon

'Be ready to go at a moment's notice;' The Dalles wildfire grows amid wind gusts
Posted: Aug 17, 2013 4:09 PM CST Updated: Aug 19, 2013 2:44 PM CST
By FOX 12 Staff - email

THE DALLES, OR (KPTV) -

Wind gusts up to 30 mph made for a tough night for firefighters who were battling a fast-moving wildfire near The Dalles.

About 70 buildings remained threatened Monday morning by the Blackburn Fire, part of the Government Flat Complex fires. The fire, which is 0 percent contained, has burned 2,700 acres.

Level two evacuation notices were given for some people who live in the area.

"(That) basically means an evacuation could happen and it may well be imminent," said fire spokesman Tommy Schroeder. "Be ready to go at a moment's notice."

Winds picked up overnight and adverse weather conditions prevented fire crews from getting containment on the fire. The wildfire grew on all sides as it worked its way downslope into the Mill Creek drainage.

"Some of our night crews weren't able to keep the fire exactly where we wanted it," Schroeder said. "Right now, we're trying to get a hold on it and try to stop it at the line."

More resources will go out to fight the fire Monday and fire officials said they're "cautiously optimistic." Five helicopters are attacking the flames from above because crews have limited access to the steep canyon.

According to the Department of Forestry, the firefighters' top priority is to protect a water treatment plant being threatened by the fire. The plant supplies water for much of the city, but officials said no customers will lose water service if the plant has to shut down.

Makenzi Rose, who lives in the area, said her home isn't threatened, but her husband is helping a friend protect their home in the path of the fire.

"Oh my gosh, I just feel for them," she said. "I hope everyone can get out safe if they need to."

The fire is expected to continue making upslope runs Monday with similar weather conditions. Crews were warned to expect wind gusts above 25 mph, and officials said the Gorge wind influence leaves no part of the fire unaffected.

The second fire in the Government Flat complex, called the Government Flat Fire, is 168 acres in size, which is down from 200 acres Saturday.

The Wells Road Fire, which has been contained, stands at 66 acres. Its lines will continue to be patrolled by fire personnel.

Copyright 2013 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

I don't think we have any ants up that way...but if we do...please be careful