PDA

View Full Version : Setting up "The Net"

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-27-2013, 12:34 PM
How many on board have their license,ticket, whatever for short wave radio? OK, how many own SW radios within the colony and are willing to set up "The Net" I'm not talking about a little Ham club with coffee and dognuts. I'm talking a network of comms for the colony. No BS, just getting this thing going, how far can we stretch this thing? I think it would be worth our efforts. Especially in times of trouble, or road trips, or if natural disaster.

I'd like to get a head count and location of those willing to participate.

No call signs due to OPSEC as far as I'm concerned. of course all that shit goes out the window when the SHTF.............Thanks

Fidel MD
08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Got the gear, the antenna farm, and the knowledge. When the time comes, I will have a Winlink node up and running. In the mean time, Im just a ham operator.

BTW, there are frequencies/channels out there besides those allocated to HAM radio. I don't buy a piece of radio equipment that cannot be used on other frequencies.

The Stig
08-27-2013, 01:28 PM
I think this is a great idea and encourage the ants to participate. Go slow because I know people have all sorts of PERSEC issues but in general I think linking together different parts of the country provides a great way to keep lines of communication open should the internets stop working.

This is almost tempting me to get my ticket and join in the fun.

izzyscout21
08-27-2013, 02:37 PM
IN

bacpacker
08-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Me to. Gotta get off my ass and get the HF antenna built and mounted.

Fidel is your Winlink node HF? I ran 2m w2k here for a while. Wouldn't take much to get it back up and running.

Fidel MD
08-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Yes, and when the time comes I'll be beaconing the frequencies. I also keep a download of (most of) wikipedia and have a server running it, which will be accessible, along with other information.

Sort of a 21st century Canticle for Leibowitz, while the lights are still on. I have the books for the 15th century Canticle as well.

ElevenBravo
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Im a big fan of 40m, works day & night, winter & summer... for the most part, all around.

EB

bacpacker
08-27-2013, 10:46 PM
Yes, and when the time comes I'll be beaconing the frequencies. I also keep a download of (most of) wikipedia and have a server running it, which will be accessible, along with other information.

Sort of a 21st century Canticle for Leibowitz, while the lights are still on. I have the books for the 15th century Canticle as well.

What HF antenna's do you use? Which are used for your W2K?

My plan is to put together either a Carolina Windom or fan dipole. Possibly both at some point.

Fidel MD
08-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Right now I have a log-periodic 2-24Mhz on a rotator at 150' (mil surplus) , and three half-dipoles with a tuner. My HF rig is a Motorola Micom 500 for digital, and an Icom 700 Pro for voice.

The antennas are all connected via polyphasers for lightning/EMP protection.

I also have a home-built NVIS antenna out there, and the tower has 2 meter, 440, VHF-AM and UHF-AM aircraft antennas (again, mil surplus) and a discone for monitoring pretty much anything I want 20-1200 MHz.

The Bug-Out Truck has a Yaesu 857 with LDG tuner, an 18' folded whip, a G5RV coiled up for emergencies, a dual band on an NMO mount for V/UHF and an antenna for VHF-AM Aircraft, using an Icom A-110.

I also have a couple of handhelds in the vehicle - dual band Vx7's.

bacpacker
08-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Holy crap MD, you got the gamut covered I think. A buddy of mine has one of the Log Periodic's at his place. He's big into MARS and works with the State EmComm regularly. He sings that antenna's praises. Polyphazers are the shit for lightning protection. I don't don't keep my radio's hooked up, but will get the poly's when I go that route. I also run a LDG tuner, the Z-100 IIRC. The only HF rig I have is a IC-706 icom. It works well mobile and is a decent home set up. The 857 is what I have my eye on for down the road. I don't have a tower so i'm more limited as to what I can get up and operational.
Thanks for the update. Nice station you have.

Fidel MD
08-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Thanks. I've been building it for around 30 years :)

I've been able to get a lot of it (the tower, the Micom, the antennas, a bunch of coax and hardline) from mil surplus. The downside is that it cost me more to get the tower and log-periodic moved to my place than it cost to buy it and erect it.

Stormfeather
08-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I have 2 soup cans and a long piece of string. . . anyone care to help a fella out here? Point/guide/show/tell/teach me?

Fidel MD
08-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Where do you want to go?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-29-2013, 03:27 AM
I've managed to get 4 towers, one for $50, 3 for free all of them are 35ft tall. A set of milsurp guy wires for $45. Bought my coax and radios new. Two Yaesu's a FT-60 hand held and a DT-857 which is HF/VHF/UHF. I picked that up at Hamfest a bit painful but it covers all the bases. I'm still learning all the buttons but that thing has some serious distance so far. The antenna I picked up at Hamfest also for $80 which is a Jetstream JTB1B. I currently have it rigged where it stands about 40ft total height.

I recommend to anyone who's going to buy a radio to get one that it has mobile capability. So you can use it as a base station or put it in your vehicle. Why? It runs off a 12 volt power supply. You can also use it in a pack pack if you build a rig for it.

Next purchase will be an antennae for HF so I can go the extra distance. That will be in the near future.

Stormfeather
08-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Ive got 5 motorola sabers that I need to get flashed to all the same freq's. Anybody here got that capability? ( know one of us does, I just am having a PTSD moment and my CRSS is kicking in something fierce this week.) PM if need be, or throw it out in public, whichever works best.

rentprop1
08-30-2013, 03:35 AM
I started old skool with cb, marine ( I live near the water ) and FRS GMRS, got my ham ticket and then the general, I do mostly 2m and 440 here, have no HF rig or antenna currently , but one day.....I use antron 99 and a Shakespear marine whip on top the tower, as well as a Comet GP3 on a stand off bracket at 35 feet, house is 115 elevation, I get about 30 miles out in the water, and repeaters about 40 miles away on 2M....and receive FRS for about 5 miles away

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Sounds good to me here's a website (but you might already be familiar with it) http://www.artscipub.com plug in Florida, Georgia, whatever and see what repeaters are available in your area, then try your luck. This morning I hit one at 125 miles away............Bacpacker's back gate. Wouldn't you know you can't even get him to answer the phone. But right now I'm punching some serious distance. My elevation is right around 960' plus the tower puts me around 1K. I picked up an HF antenna yesterday so I'll be putting that up a little bit at a time, need a few more parts and pieces, minor stuff. I'll have to do that between chores. But I feel pretty good about this morning. Patted my furry self on the back I did. Must have done a few things right to make it work that good. Man said I had just a wee bit of white noise and then I came in loud and clear and l was GTG.

bacpacker
09-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Well Shit Rat! Guy takes a couple days off to celebrate with the old lady and look what happens. Sounds like excellent progress has been made. Looking forward to seeing what you are hitting. I have asked a buddy of mine some info about some other repeaters between us, so I think it's gonna come together sooner or later. Timing is everything.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Success! Bacpacker and I have connected on 2m.........there was a little bacon fryin in the background but hey, at 125 miles as the crow flies that's not bad. Seems you have to catch it when the conditions are right but it's alternate means of comms for our neck of the woods. HF is right around the corner. Are there any other members in TN that are up and running out there??????????

izzyscout21
09-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Ive got 5 motorola sabers that I need to get flashed to all the same freq's. Anybody here got that capability? ( know one of us does, I just am having a PTSD moment and my CRSS is kicking in something fierce this week.) PM if need be, or throw it out in public, whichever works best.

hit up APSSBC

bacpacker
09-02-2013, 11:30 PM
The Rat is running! Glad to see things come together for you. I would consider our contact a definate success. Espically how far away from each other we are. I wasn't sure we would be able to hook up on 2M, so I feel much better about that.

Next up is to get Izzy an antenna for the house and get him in the link too. I think I have a home built J-pole out in the garage that needs to be completed from a group build years ago. I will get in the shed this coming weekend and see if it is still there.

My next task in this regard is to build a HF antenna and get it mounted along with my new dual band antenna. After that it will be to get a 2nd dual band antenna up to run APRS & Winlink on. That's not pressing for right now.

ElevenBravo
09-09-2013, 01:43 AM
I tried to contact the Rat tonight, but just before I called him for a freq, I forgot I dont have a mic. Im mostly CW. So.... I need to identify the impedance of the radio and find a mic that will match... THEN try to call again..

Whoops... my CRS kicked in good tonight!

80m would be good from SWVA to TN, so would 40m but 20 will probably skip right over ya... We will try 40 when I get a mic at the home QTH.

:-)

EB

Brownwater Riverrat 13
09-12-2013, 03:12 AM
Welll.............I'm up and running on HF! I've rearranged my antenna 3 times now.......horizontal, inverted-V, then boomed it out away from the tower. Still some touch ups in securing the coax cable but for the most part it's done. Talked to Texas on 20 meter and another "group" on 40 meter. All said "loud and clear" so I'm happy as hell right now.

Now I don't see much activity (participation) as far as anyone wanting to get this thing going so let me try and put this another way.
I don't want to post call signs and frequencies on the site. PMs and phone contacts. Then we can schedule a comm check and take it from there. So either some folks are worried about security issues or we don't have that many radios out there. Anyone want to tell me which one it is?

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to contact the Rat tonight, but just before I called him for a freq, I forgot I dont have a mic. Im mostly CW. So.... I need to identify the impedance of the radio and find a mic that will match... THEN try to call again..

Whoops... my CRS kicked in good tonight!

80m would be good from SWVA to TN, so would 40m but 20 will probably skip right over ya... We will try 40 when I get a mic at the home QTH.

:-)

EB

I just hope I can work my brain that fast (CW) lookin forward to it EB!

Katrina
09-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Stormy I got a signal fire, how are you on smoke signals. I hasve the ham radio on my wish list, I'm hoping I can get Pop's call letters but that is a bit down the road right now.

Stormfeather
09-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Welll.............I'm up and running on HF! I've rearranged my antenna 3 times now.......horizontal, inverted-V, then boomed it out away from the tower. Still some touch ups in securing the coax cable but for the most part it's done. Talked to Texas on 20 meter and another "group" on 40 meter. All said "loud and clear" so I'm happy as hell right now.

Now I don't see much activity (participation) as far as anyone wanting to get this thing going so let me try and put this another way.
I don't want to post call signs and frequencies on the site. PMs and phone contacts. Then we can schedule a comm check and take it from there. So either some folks are worried about security issues or we don't have that many radios out there. Anyone want to tell me which one it is?

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope I can work my brain that fast (CW) lookin forward to it EB!

Im seriously interested, I just havent had the time or money to invest in a setup, definitely interested in getting my ticket, but to be honest, its going to be primarily for SHTF, maybe once a month contacts up til that point.

- - - Updated - - -

Stormy I got a signal fire, how are you on smoke signals. I hasve the ham radio on my wish list, I'm hoping I can get Pop's call letters but that is a bit down the road right now.

I wish it was that simple Kat! If that was the case, i would be gtg!

Domeguy
10-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I also plan on getting my license by end of fall/mid winter. I don't know if I will have a base station at that time, but I will try.

twincougars
10-09-2013, 08:47 PM
How many on board have their license,ticket, whatever for short wave radio? OK, how many own SW radios within the colony and are willing to set up "The Net" I'm not talking about a little Ham club with coffee and dognuts. I'm talking a network of comms for the colony. No BS, just getting this thing going, how far can we stretch this thing? I think it would be worth our efforts. Especially in times of trouble, or road trips, or if natural disaster.

I'd like to get a head count and location of those willing to participate.

No call signs due to OPSEC as far as I'm concerned. of course all that shit goes out the window when the SHTF.............Thanks

I am in Stevens County, Washington and have a general class license. I currently work VHF and have HF capabilities, but the rig is not set up properly yet with regard to antenna matching, and the "shack" is a mess right now so needs some organization. I also want to set up PSK31 for digital comm over HF. There are a number of prepper ham networks around. It would be great, I think, if due to our common interests these could be consolidated, maybe not on a permanent basis, but say once a month all the individual prepper nets get together on the same frequency. This would be training for increasing our traffic reach in case of a SHTF emergency.

bacpacker
10-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Great first post TC! I like that idea, but after 11 years of running EmComm nets, I can imagine all kinds of problems getting that set up.

Welcome to the net, drag up a long and take a sit around the campfire. :)

Fatty
12-28-2013, 04:21 PM
What level freq would I need to reach u cats from NE Wi.?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Well if you're up on HF I would imagine 20, 40 meter would be a good place to start. 17 meter has been quite productive for me here lately. Talked to a guy in his F-350 pick-up on his mobile in Washington state the other day. I'm running a Yaesu FT-857 with a G5RV lite antenna. Sooooooo, tell me what you're running and what you want to try.

Stormfeather
12-29-2013, 04:41 AM
Ok, so it turns out the wife got her ticket back in high school and was part of the HAM club back then, but she has no idea where her paperwork or anything like that is. So. . . my question to all the SME's here, does your ticket ever expire? If not, how would she go about finding out what ticket she has, and how to get info on it so she can start participating? Is there a agency you go thru? FCC? Do they keep records that far back? Any help would be appreciated folks!

Fidel MD
12-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Yes, the tickets expire - after 10 years (these days).

You can look up status at qrz.com, by callsign or name/address

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, it does expire

You may use FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to apply for renewal of your amateur operator/primary station license grant, including those station license grants within the grace period. Use purpose RO (Renew Only) for this. If it is necessary to also modify your name or mailing address shown on your amateur operator/primary station license grant, use purpose RM (Renew/Modify). If you are not requesting a call sign change, file the Main form only. (Club or military recreation stations need to file through a Club Station Call Sign Administrator. See the Public Notice on CSCSAs (text). RACES stations are no longer being renewed.)
You may receive a license expiration notification from an entity, but you are not required to use its services. File for renewal 30-60 days, but no more than 90 days, before your license expiration date. 47 CFR Section 97.21, provides that when your application for renewal has been received by the FCC on or before the license expiration date, your operating authority is continued until the final disposition of your application. If your license expires, you may apply for renewal of the license for another term during a two-year filing grace period. The application document must be received by the FCC on or before the end of the grace period. Unless and until the license is renewed, no amateur operator or station operating privileges are conferred. Applications received after the grace period has ended cannot be granted.
Section 1.913(f) requires that all applications, other than applications that must be filed through a VEC, may be submitted manually to the address below in number 11.
Until Vanity licenses become renewable, there is no fee for renewing your amateur operator/primary station license grant.

Filing Electronically using the Universal Licensing System
You may renew your license through the Universal Licensing System (ULS) at any time within 90 days of the expiration date for the license and up to two years after the license expires.
To renew, go to the ULS Home, select Online Filing, and follow the instructions below.

Login to the ULS License Manager with your FCC Registration Number (FRN).
From your License At A Glance page, choose the Renew link in the right hand menu called Work on this License. When your license is within the renewal period of 90 days before the expiration date until the expiration date, or within the 2 year grace period allowed there after the Renew link will appear. If your license is not eligible for renewal the link will not appear.
On the Select Updates page, review the licensee information displayed beneath the table of license information. If any of the data is missing or out of date you must update it. Click on the box to the left of the Licensee Information heading to insert a checkbox and select it.
When ready click Continue.
Answer the questions on the Applicant Questions page, and click Continue when ready.
On the Licensee Information page, review and update all of your licensee information. Make any corrections that are necessary.
On the Summary page review the information you have entered. If you wish to make additional changes, click the Edit button next to the section of your application you wish to Edit. You will be able to return to that page of the application. Make the desired change and select the Return to Summary button.
When ready to submit your update to the Commission, choose the Continue to Certify button.
After reading the certification, enter your first and last names in the boxes at the bottom of the page. You MUST sign the application. When finished choose the Submit Application button.
From the ULS Confirmation screen, we recommend you print a copy of your application and/or the Confirmation screen itself from your web browser.

Note: The address and contact information you have entered in CORES registration will not be automatically associated with your licenses. To change the address or other contact information on your license, you must update your information in ULS or submit Form 605 manually.

Filing Manually
You may alternatively submit a paper FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to
FCC
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245
OR, you may deliver the form in person to:
FCC
1280 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325
You can request forms by calling (800) 418-FORM (3676), download the form or call our Fax Information system at (202) 418-0177.

OK now that I baffled you with all that bullshit......................renew every 3 years.:cool:

After reading this I would "assume" she might have to take the exam all over again. It's $15 to take the exam and you can usually do it through your local red cross maybe or a local ham club might have something set up already. Izzy and I did a full blown assault on the exam using the online website. You can take the exam as many times as you want, it's free. I grades it, shows you the ones you got wrong, passing score percentile, blah, blah. But the questions you are taking are the ones that are on the actual exam there are 394 of them. Repetition and positive reinforcement, just keep doing it and you'll be passing it in no time at all. Then go take the exam. OH you have to be drinking some "apple pie" almost forgot the secret ingredient. http://www.eham.net/exams/

Well I hope this helps if it did anything at all.

greg48
12-30-2013, 07:28 PM
someone give me a couple websites to get me started and an idea where to start? go slow I am only a grunt.

mitunnelrat
12-30-2013, 11:21 PM
I think I can help here. Google ARRL. I'd link it for you but I am dumber than my smart phone...

Did I type that too fast?

bacpacker
12-31-2013, 01:05 AM
Here is a few sites you can take practice test at.

http://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/?gclid=CPm1i_av2bsCFSdp7Aod4h4A1w

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-31-2013, 01:52 PM
"OH you have to be drinking some "apple pie" almost forgot the secret ingredient." http://www.eham.net/exams/

greg48
01-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Thanks! In a SHTF world, communications among like minded, I believe will be one of our greatest assets.

swamprat
06-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Wow The Net is an amazing progression and definitely a must for the colony. I too am working on getting my ticket. I have recently purchased saber III radios and all the needed cables for programming, a 386sx computer and I get the software on Monday to program the Saber Radios. Is the colony getting a ticket? Also is there non-amateur radio freq that the colony will utilize? and probably a secret, but is there a secret squirrel listing of the colony's freqs?

bacpacker
06-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Some of us have Sabres and if in the same area, the same programming. And some others have some shared freqs in case of traveling in the same area. Others of us have ham tickets seperately or in addition to the Sabres. I would be afraid to guess who has FRS/GRMS/MURS capabilities, other than what could be added to the Sabres.

Other than some guys within 75 to 100 miles, I don't know of a list of freqs. Some common freqs would be useful when traveling, or WSHTF.

swamprat
06-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Roger. I completely agree that there should be a list of Freqs that the colonist should have so when they are in a particular state, the colonist could start transmitting on that freq to make connection with other colony members. Not sure if those freqs should be placed into this forum, but emailed or snail mailed for OPSEC.

My thoughts is to have 5 base freqs

NorthWest
SouthWest
NorthEast
Southeast
Central

This would be the SHTF freqs so everyone in the respected areas will be on the same page.

Thoughts?

bacpacker
06-15-2014, 01:57 AM
I think that would work. I have saw on other forums a list of freqs for SHTF use so all folks could know where to go. Not a bad idea, but I'm not sure I want to rely or trust my life on that list. I would feel much better having set up freqs with folks I know and trust. Even if it's just talking to them on here.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Roger. I completely agree that there should be a list of Freqs that the colonist should have so when they are in a particular state, the colonist could start transmitting on that freq to make connection with other colony members. Not sure if those freqs should be placed into this forum, but emailed or snail mailed for OPSEC.

NorthWest
SouthWest
NorthEast
Southeast
Central

This would be the SHTF freqs so everyone in the respected areas will be on the same page.

Thoughts?

I'm all for this as mentioned at the start of this thread. What region are you in "Rat?" If you have a rig we could PM and pick a freq, try a comm check if you're ready to get started.

swamprat
06-20-2014, 11:26 PM
I am in north central, aka Wisconsin. Still awaiting my rib cord so I can install the freqs. I am also studying for my ham license as the earliest the test is Oct here

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-24-2014, 05:09 AM
I am in north central, aka Wisconsin. Still awaiting my rib cord so I can install the freqs. I am also studying for my ham license as the earliest the test is Oct here

Try the eham.com web site, it has a great test bank. I'm going for my general in august. Are you sure you can't find another place to take the exam earlier? Try the Red Cross maybe? Just a thought......I'm sure we'll be able to connect once you're up and running. I have had excellent comms in that area.

idahobob
06-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Y'all need to check this site out:

http://www.amrron.com/

Bob
III

bacpacker
06-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Nice find Bob. I'm a member on that forum but wasn't aware of the Amrronn. Very cool. Looks like a lot of topics to pick from.

idahobob
06-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Hope ya listen to Radio Free Redoubt on Sunday evenings. Even though it originates in my part of the country, it is very informative, and has information that applies to all of us.

Bob
III

Brownwater Riverrat 13
06-29-2014, 12:57 PM
I'm going to try and remember tonight, thanks Bob. Great site!

idahobob
06-29-2014, 02:58 PM
If you miss out on the broadcasts on Sunday evening, all of the episodes are archived here:

http://radiofreeredoubt.podbean.com/

Hope more of the colony gets to listening and getting more involved in communications. It's going to be more and more important as time goes on.

Bob
III

Stormfeather
06-30-2014, 07:29 PM
I agree with ya there, it will become more and more important as we progress down the rabbit hole.
As a personal thought. . .I would prefer we have secure commo amongst those of us here, mainly because, with the exception of a very small group, Im not sure I would trust others. Folks here have convinced me of their mindset, and their intentions, the same cant be said for others in other forums of groups. I have no issue with having commo with other groups, but I think I would prefer that our "group" have its own freq's set up for themselves.

Kesephist
08-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I completely agree that there should be a list of Freqs that the colonist should have so when they are in a particular state, the colonist could start transmitting on that freq to make connection with other colony members. Not sure if those freqs should be placed into this forum, but emailed or snail mailed for OPSEC.

NorthWest
SouthWest
NorthEast
Southeast
Central

Thoughts?

Yes, a 15 month necropost.

Nephew Norbert (NSA goon, similar to the FCC's Uncle Charlie) is pretty much able to get any email he wants. So I would NOT suggest sending frq lists via email.

The expensive notion of sending such lists Priority Mail is about the best I can come up with for secure, shy of being able to hand it off face to face.

Interesting notion of divvying up the place. For the lower 48, the geographic center of the US is in NW Kansas, I think. Use about a 300 mile radius for the Central, and then quarter off the rest.

Technician license being the lowest common denominator for today's hams, I suggest freq lists in all the allocated bandwidths for that license. I don't have them on tap at this moment, but I know there is more than just 70 cm and 2m. And I'd recommend more than one frq per band, just in case.

Domeguy
08-16-2015, 07:20 PM
In keeping up with the spirit of keeping up "the net", I would like to thank Brownriver Riverrat for keeping a fire under my butt, and helping me physically, mentally, and spirituality to pass my HAM radio test. I missed it by one question yesterday, and due to his perseverance, I went today and passed it. Thank you BWRR, let the man hugs commence.

bacpacker
08-16-2015, 10:53 PM
EXCELLENT job DG! Just spoke with BWRR last night, he said he was gonna keep the flame hot for another day. :)

Seriously CONGRATS

Willie51
08-18-2015, 01:23 AM
Congrats DG!! I started on the General 2 years ago and got sidetracked with life. I plan to get back on it this winter.

Domeguy
08-18-2015, 02:03 AM
Thank you, and I plan on communicating with the whole world, to bring about a new era, bring forth good will toward all men, to bring please to all the lands...but first I need to find out how to turn this damn thing on...no, not that one...maybe if I fiddle with this knob on the left...

Kesephist
08-20-2015, 01:23 AM
Technician license test out here early Sept, just hope I can afford the works for it to be used. Dry run tests via eham are promising, and somewhere, in this bleedin' bucket o chips, I have part 97, ready to print out. Will be one each studyin' creature.

Kesephist
08-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Technician license being the lowest common denominator for today's hams, I suggest freq lists in all the allocated bandwidths for that license. I don't have them on tap at this moment, but I know there is more than just 70 cm and 2m. And I'd recommend more than one frq per band, just in case.

Newly derived from the ARRL's amateur band plan, the allocated voice frequencies for the Technician license.

HF band

10 meters 28.3-28.5 MHz

*Note: Single Side Band only

VHF band

1.25 Meters 222.0 - 225.0 MHz
2 Meters 144.0 - 148.0 MHz
6 Meters 50.1 - 54.0 MHz

UHF band

70 cm 420.0 - 450.0 MHz
33 cm 902.0 - 928.0 MHz
23 cm 1240.0 - 1300.0 MHz

I hope this helps. It has done wonders weeding for me on flea-bay. (Would have had a Icom 2100 three days ago there, but for some miserable bid-sniper, probably a shill, in the last forty seconds)

eagle326
08-26-2015, 11:46 PM
Thank you, and I plan on communicating with the whole world, to bring about a new era, bring forth good will toward all men, to bring please to all the lands...but first I need to find out how to turn this damn thing on...no, not that one...maybe if I fiddle with this knob on the left...

Damn It D.G.!!!
Kick the damn thing it always works for me. :eek:

izzyscout21
08-29-2015, 11:44 PM
In keeping up with the spirit of keeping up "the net", I would like to thank Brownriver Riverrat for keeping a fire under my butt, and helping me physically, mentally, and spirituality to pass my HAM radio test. I missed it by one question yesterday, and due to his perseverance, I went today and passed it. Thank you BWRR, let the man hugs commence.

Well it's about dang time!