PDA

View Full Version : Raw sewage

The Stig
09-01-2013, 12:04 AM
While surfing the net for intel stories I came across THIS (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/31/neighbors-sue-rural-ga-city-to-fix-sewer-system-that-spews-waste-into-yards-and/) story at Foxnews....

Neighbors sue rural Ga. city to fix sewer system that spews waste into yards and fouls creek
Published August 31, 2013
Associated Press

ROCHELLE, Ga. – Residents in rural south Georgia are suing their tiny city over a particularly icky problem — raw sewage that backs up and floods in their yards during heavy rains.

Rochelle Mayor James Rhodes calls the waste bubbling up from manhole covers and relief valves outside people's homes "an act of God." He blames unusually wet weather for flooding the city's sewer pipes.

But some residents say flooding sewage has been a problem for years. Eight residents filed a federal lawsuit Aug. 13 saying the city's faulty sewer system is polluting nearby Mills Creek in violation of the federal Clean Water Act.

The issue is more personal for Monesa Coney, who's had sewage pooling in her yard. She bought her children a videogame console to keep them from playing outside.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/31/neighbors-sue-rural-ga-city-to-fix-sewer-system-that-spews-waste-into-yards-and/#ixzz2davlNEtk

A SHTF event is unfolding in your area and raw sewage starts backing up....

1) What threats does it pose?

2) How do you deal with it?

3) What precautions can you take?

bacpacker
09-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Thankfully no sewers in my AO. Everyone is on septic tank/drainfills. My property is higher than most everything in the imediate area.

Sniper-T
09-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I have my own septic field, but when the tank gets full I would have to fire up my trash pump and pump it off into the bush down wind, and down stream of me.

no problem!

bacpacker
09-01-2013, 05:00 PM
We have been at our place 19 years. Never had issues, but I think I need to beat it to the punch and get the septic pumped. Good SHTF prep if you plan on bugging in.

Katrina
09-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to cut off the city system from my house in shtf situation.Just don't want it backing up in the house before the ijiots in the city figure out city services are shut off and stop flushing their toilets.

David Armstrong
09-02-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to cut off the city system from my house in shtf situation.Just don't want it backing up in the house before the ijiots in the city figure out city services are shut off and stop flushing their toilets.
Your plumber can fit your system with a one-way valve so the sewage can flow out but not in. Another alternative is to provide a low-pressure opening for the outflow pipe. If the sewer backs up from the main line it will release through the opening instead of your house.

Sniper-T
09-02-2013, 10:53 PM
you can also get a sewer plug that in case of emergency you can pop in and stop anything from coming back up. keep in mind... nothing goes out while it is in either...

izzyscout21
09-06-2013, 01:14 PM
thats just gross.

mitunnelrat
09-07-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm on a septic system now, but...

I just heard of something called humanure, and I'm somewhat interested in the concept. Contain and compost it folks ;)

bacpacker
09-07-2013, 02:26 AM
MIT, long term SHTF that is probably the best option. Even at that I would want it downstream from my water supply.

mitunnelrat
09-07-2013, 02:30 AM
Agreed. I don't want to die (or nearly so again) from bad water. <shudder>

bacpacker
09-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Then again, lots of third world countries do this all the time. Some die, but others must adapt to it and thrive.

mitunnelrat
09-07-2013, 05:17 AM
iirc you have "When Technology Fails," right? He brings up humanure in it, and I know there are composting toilets and such on the market, so the concept itself wouldn't bother me with enough research. Its just setting it up properly pre-event I'd think...

Bad water still scares me though. That was too many hours in the hospital.

Twitchy
09-07-2013, 08:35 AM
MIT, long term SHTF that is probably the best option. Even at that I would want it downstream from my water supply.

Downwind while you're at it!!! Also on a septic system, and plan on continuing to be on one for the foreseeable future...

Katrina
09-12-2013, 10:24 PM
Didn't know one could use a plug. Will have to talk to a plumber about that and the valve Thanks again

Katrina
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM
I've also been thinking( there she goes again, off in left field) of converting the toilets in the house to composting toilets and or burn toilets.I was reading an article about composting and burn toilets. It sounded fascinating.

Stormfeather
09-12-2013, 11:25 PM
composting toilets will work more in your favor over burn toilets, just my .02 cents!

ditchmedic
09-13-2013, 02:43 AM
While surfing the net for intel stories I came across THIS (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/31/neighbors-sue-rural-ga-city-to-fix-sewer-system-that-spews-waste-into-yards-and/) story at Foxnews....

A SHTF event is unfolding in your area and raw sewage starts backing up....

1) What threats does it pose?

Hepatitis A

Katrina
09-14-2013, 04:06 AM
SF what would be the advantage of the compost one over the burn one?

ak474u
09-14-2013, 06:40 AM
I'm sorry, I had to....

http://youtu.be/zqNigBNUWOs

apssbc
09-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Been a long while since Ive been on here. However this subject has taken on a new meaning for me. I am selling my boat which was my major summer hobby. Were buying a large camper to place on our BOL until we can build a permanent place to stay. My plan was to basically dig a pit and dump the sewage into it. This would probably be fine as it is hundreds of feet away from our water source and would not see much use. However I came across this and decided this is what I was going with. It is a much cleaner, and safer way to go.

http://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

As for my home in a small town I dont plan on staying long enough to invest much money into. Plus my major plan is to bug out in most situations so I am not too worried about this problem.

helomech
09-16-2013, 01:37 AM
A septic tank for a camp is easy to make. We just take a 55 gallon drum and shoot holes in it. Then bury and attach lines.

Sniper-T
09-17-2013, 12:11 AM
we do the same... but depending on where, and how busy it is expected to be, we may or may not attach lines.

assuming you have decent soil drainage, adding water is sometimes necessary to break down the solids, especially in a shallow(ish) outhouse. Just not too much, or you walk in soup to get there!

piranha2
09-17-2013, 01:46 AM
A septic tank for a camp is easy to make. We just take a 55 gallon drum and shoot holes in it. Then bury and attach lines.

This..........