PDA

View Full Version : 25 pound BOB challenge

Dropy
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
So here is my wifes challenge. Since she got her hip replaced this last may the doc has her on a strict 20 pound carry limit. Well the wife is anting to stretch that out to 25 pounds for her BOB.

Now she has a nice little pack that is basicly good suspenders with a large fanny pack on it. This pack would be used for day hunters mostly.

She has a nice knife and sheath attached to the kidney belt of the pack and she is gonna carry the bottle of bear spray alo there. Both easy to get to.

So this puts us at about 5 pounds for knife, spray and pack. That leaves 20 pounds for stuff.

What would you ad to the list from this point on?

She is gonna put in a metal drink cup that can double to cook with. the cup is about 20 oz an is short and coffee cupish in shape.
Some aluminum foil.
A small fishing kit say 6 hooks, a couple sinkers and some line.
2 metal bottles to hold water with. they are like 24 oz I think?
Matches and a lighter.
A small clip on to the hat light.
A headband light.
A wind up light/raio. She likes her lights..
A cheap folding knife.
She is also gonna carry 2 razor knives, the kind that break off as you need shaper edge.
a simple first aid kit.
a couple garbage bags
1 extra set of undies and sox.
A couple trash bags, big yard bags.
Food.

It is very warm here, even at night it is still high 60's which is too hot to us. As temps change she will add other stuff to keep up.

This is just for getting home, not live in the bush for 6 months bag. She will proly have her pistol with her.

Fidel MD
09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
How about a game cart/baby stroller type device to carry her gear?

Sniper-T
09-03-2013, 11:12 PM
does she really need 4 knives?

How long do you expect to be bugging out?

60's can still be cool if she's sweated all day and hunkering down damp. how about a simple change of clothes as pj's while the day clothes are hanging by the fire (or under the sleeping bag)?

The weight of the water bottles will be over a pound a piece when full. again, how far/how long you going for? would it be easier to have one bottle and a filtration method? or a catydine that filters into its own bottle?

Garbage bags, trash bags, yard bags... yard bags for rain gear, what about the rest? put a yard bag open inside the pack, put everything inside, and a loose knot will keep everything dry.

got a pistol... how many rouns? extra mags? How many?

Food, again, for how many days, and what kind? MRE's? canned goods? her weight will skyrocket quickly. how about some high energy bars and gel packs? jerky? dried fruit? nuts? gorp?

Load the pack up, and get it on her... is it comfortable? could she wear it all day? how does it ride on her hip?
There are a whole series of packs out now like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Hunting-Accessories/Hunting-Bags-Packs%7C/pc/104791680/c/104734980/sc/104392080/Cabelas-Alaskan-II-Pack-and-Frame/1229744.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FHunting-Bags-Packs%2F104392080.uts&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104392080
looks and acts like a regular pack, yet it has a set of wheels for use like an airport travel case. If you're treking down the highway home, this might be a nice option to take a load off, so to speak.

Just some thoughts...

ETA:
possibly more luxury than necessity, but with a new hip... maybe not. How about something like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunters-Specialties-Bunsaver-Seat-Cushion/708948.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dhunting%2Bseat%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSea rch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hunting+seat&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

or simply this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Game-Portable-Hot-Seat/1242277.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dhunting%2Bseat%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSea rch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hunting+seat&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I have the latter, an on a long dat's hunt it is a welcome addition to that perch on a log, or on the ground. They weigh next to nothing, but can make a long miserable day a lot more bearable.

IMO

Dropy
09-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Well she will have a pistol on her with a couple mags. And yes, she needs 4 knives. LOL women..

She and I have even discussed the game cart thing. The game cart would be good for an extended go, but this bag is just a 3 day bag to get her home.

She put a couple camping meals in it and she is gonna add some jerky also.

mitunnelrat
09-07-2013, 01:38 AM
So here is my wifes challenge. Since she got her hip replaced this last may the doc has her on a strict 20 pound carry limit. Well the wife is anting to stretch that out to 25 pounds for her BOB.

Now she has a nice little pack that is basicly good suspenders with a large fanny pack on it. This pack would be used for day hunters mostly.

She has a nice knife and sheath attached to the kidney belt of the pack and she is gonna carry the bottle of bear spray alo there. Both easy to get to.

So this puts us at about 5 pounds for knife, spray and pack. That leaves 20 pounds for stuff.

What would you ad to the list from this point on?

She is gonna put in a metal drink cup that can double to cook with. the cup is about 20 oz an is short and coffee cupish in shape.
Some aluminum foil.
A small fishing kit say 6 hooks, a couple sinkers and some line.
2 metal bottles to hold water with. they are like 24 oz I think?
Matches and a lighter.
A small clip on to the hat light.
A headband light.
A wind up light/raio. She likes her lights..
A cheap folding knife.
She is also gonna carry 2 razor knives, the kind that break off as you need shaper edge.
a simple first aid kit.
a couple garbage bags
1 extra set of undies and sox.
A couple trash bags, big yard bags.
Food.

It is very warm here, even at night it is still high 60's which is too hot to us. As temps change she will add other stuff to keep up.

This is just for getting home, not live in the bush for 6 months bag. She will proly have her pistol with her.

financial - emergency cash. I keep a couple hundred in my wallet these days. It'll solve more emergencies than not, imo.
transportation, which includes navigation methods - A road map and even a little ball compass for general direction finding could do wonders. You could also magnetize a sewing needle (bonus points for multi-use) to point north
communication methods - I found a flat whistle that I backed with reflective tape.
shelter & warmth - I'd add a mylar blanket and use one of the trash bags as a ground cloth, the tin foil as a reflector... I'd also add a magnesium fire starter or at least a ferro rod.
water - micropur tablets, and a one quart receptacle, like a soft nalgene to dissolve them in.
illness response/ treatment; OTC single dose meds of benadryl, Motrin, Immodium AD, and Midol if the first aid kit you mentioned doesn't have them
sanitation & hygiene; Wet naps at the least, visit a barbecue place for some single napkin packs to keep weight down ;) Also 3 days of whatever feminine products she may or may not use...
food -
Multi-purpose; duct tape, cordage, zip ties, and some brass wire

I think that about covers what I can think of for now.