PDA

View Full Version : The End is Near...

Sniper-T
09-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Had our first frost last night. pretty much wiped out my cucumbers (got a few last pints canning now), tomatoes are all but over (got the last three 5 gallon pails awaiting canning tomorrow), surprisingly my lettuce missed it, so I'll get a couple more days worth. My melons are just starting to ripen, so I'll try covering them. tubers will be coming into their own soon, as long as we don't get too hard of a frost!

I envy you guys and your long seasons. It's going to be a scramble to get everything put up before the snows fly!

But I'm ready to try!
:cool:

eagle326
09-16-2013, 11:01 PM
You can do it Sniper. You've been there long enough to know the drill. From all you're previous post you are not one to hesitate on a challenge.

Possom
09-17-2013, 12:23 AM
Dang y'all do have a short growing season. It is still 75 for a low 90 for the high.

I'm sure you can get it all pulled together before the first hard freeze though.

Sniper-T
09-17-2013, 12:41 AM
I did get a late start this year... so I lost a week... or almost two. with some diligence, I might get another week of the gentles... and then the tubers for another 2 weeks. But that is with a lot of care, an that will push me out to an eight week season.

All I have to do, is put up enough veggies to last for the other 44 weeks. lol

ladyhk13
09-17-2013, 04:02 AM
Frost already? Wow! But hey, they say we might actually get snow this year...yahoooooo!!

msomnipotent
09-17-2013, 04:19 AM
Jealous! I didn't even plant anything this summer and now my garden is nothing but strawberries, weeds, and giant pumpkin vines. My daughter planted those super-giant pumpkin seeds without my knowledge and now I'm kind of frightened. But it is already only 50 degrees, so if I wind up with anything at all, it will be these cold-hardened, misshapen, giant pumpkin mutants that are angry about having to survive this weather in a tiny patch of weeds and strawberries. I just hope your melons don't get angry!

Sniper-T
09-18-2013, 02:16 AM
Mmmmm Angry melons... sounds like fun!