PDA

View Full Version : Head Protection

The Stig
09-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Original story HERE (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/17/high-school-football-player-dies-after-suffering-severe-head-injury/?intcmp=latestnews) at Foxnews

High school football player dies after suffering severe head injury
Published September 17, 2013
FoxNews.com

A 16-year-old high school football player has died three days after suffering a severe head injury during a game, ObserverToday.com reported.

Damon Janes, of Brocton, N.Y., was involved in a helmet-to-helmet collision during a varsity football game between Brocton Central School and the combined teams of Westfield Academy and Portville Central School, reportedly losing consciousness after the hit. He was transported to a local hospital

"[Janes'] parents wish to express their gratitude to those who have supported and prayed for Damon and his family, and continue to request that their privacy be respected at this time," Women & Children's Hospital at Buffalo and the family of Janes said in a joint statement.

All competitive sporting events this week in the Brocton and Westfield school districts were canceled.

According to the New York State Sportswriters Association, several athletes have died during fall sports in the past two years.

Ridge Barden, 16, of Phoenix, N.Y., collapsed during a 2011 football game due to brain bleeding after forceful bodily contact. Ronan Guyer, 14, of Southold, N.Y., died last November after being in a coma triggered by cardiac arrest before a cross country meet in Elma, N.Y.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/17/high-school-football-player-dies-after-suffering-severe-head-injury/?intcmp=latestnews#ixzz2fFNMj5fI

So what kind of protection do you have for your noggin ?

Whether it's cleaning debris after a weather event, or dealing with post apocalyptic hordes of the undead, do you have gear to keep your melon safe?

bacpacker
09-18-2013, 01:47 PM
I dont and that is a big fail on my part. Thanks for bringing up the subject.

Fidel MD
09-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Appropriate for the task at hand. Construction hardhats, flight helmets, MICH, bike helmets, mountain climbing helmets, etc.

izzyscout21
09-19-2013, 03:07 PM
Ive got my ACH for obvious reasons. Ive also got an ops core bump helmet i can use for everything from rappelling to riding a bike

Stormfeather
09-20-2013, 02:38 AM
Ive got a really nice set of thinning hair protecting my dome. . . does that count?

realist
09-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Storm you are missing the point or hair............you are loosing protection... It seems everywhere I turn I am always hitting my head and being follicly (sp) challenged. Protec for everyday work, Gallant for other more serious work. Still working on a Crye but it is a little pricey.

bourneshooter
09-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Worth having a Ballistic helmet on hand, as well as the Bump helmet.

Ballistic helmets are a must for any Urban CQB enviroment. Bumps, are for NOD wearing rural movement to contact.

Might be worth having a generic safety construction helmet as well for post disaster clean up to be the lo pro grey man.

helomech
09-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I have busted my head open so many times. I think I have had stitches in my head about 10 times, and should have gotten stitches probably that many more, but just kept pressure on it till it stopped bleeding. If I shaved my head it would look like a maze up there.

Stormfeather
09-26-2013, 01:48 AM
Like you Helo. . . I have so many scars on my head, its freaking crazy. The wife gets a kick out of it when every now and then, a piece of glass works its way out of my scalp and she has to help it on its way.
I probably should get myself a good bump helmet, lord knows I need it, probably should wear it everyday just to be safe. I know Ive got a OpsCor brain bucket around here that I should make good use of. . . maybe I should look for it and dig it out!

Realist, I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is this, if theres a round heading downrange and it tags my dome, helmet or not, nobody makes it past that. I did a lot of research on that over the years, and shot up a couple helmets just to make sure. You know those ACH/Mich helmets, they take everything and keep sucking ir down like a hooker on payday, .22 all the way to .308 and they pass thru it like butter. Head on shots, angled shots, glancing shots. . . all of them penetrate. So that being the case, I never wear a helmet unless im in a armored vehicle and protocol calls for it.

MegaCPC
09-27-2013, 01:10 AM
Just a boonie hat, mostly.

2die4
09-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Realist, I get what you are saying, but the bottom line is this, if theres a round heading downrange and it tags my dome, helmet or not, nobody makes it past that. I did a lot of research on that over the years, and shot up a couple helmets just to make sure. You know those ACH/Mich helmets, they take everything and keep sucking ir down like a hooker on payday, .22 all the way to .308 and they pass thru it like butter. Head on shots, angled shots, glancing shots. . . all of them penetrate. So that being the case, I never wear a helmet unless im in a armored vehicle and protocol calls for it.

I share the same sentiment about the ACH. I don't count on it doing anything except saving my head from a bump when i dismount from a Vehicle. I find the damn thing cumbersome.

The Stig
09-28-2013, 06:23 PM
I did a lot of research on that over the years, and shot up a couple helmets just to make sure. You know those ACH/Mich helmets, they take everything and keep sucking ir down like a hooker on payday, .22 all the way to .308 and they pass thru it like butter. Head on shots, angled shots, glancing shots. . . all of them penetrate. So that being the case, I never wear a helmet unless im in a armored vehicle and protocol calls for it.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

As a pasty civilian I was under the impression they'd offer at least some protection.

It seems my faith was misplaced..... :(

izzyscout21
09-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Ballistic head gear has to be looked at in context:

if you had a helmet that WOULD stop .308 and you took a hit, itd have a good chance of breaking your spine.

ballistic helmets are really just for shrapnel. The ACH is better than the PASGT, which is better than the steel pot, which is better than nothing I guess......

ElevenBravo
09-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Dont have anything right now, but none of my activities demand one... as of yet. Thinking of getting back into repelling... so a bump at minimum is on my things to get list.

EB