PDA

View Full Version : Radiation scare in Staten Island

The Stig
09-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Original story HERE (http://pix11.com/2013/09/23/radiation-scare-staten-island-parks-contamination-worse-than-previously-thought/?hpt=us_bn7#ixzz2flVQ1Y6c) at PIX11.com (local news affiliate)

Radiation scare in Staten Island: Park’s contamination WORSE than previously thought

18 hours ago
by Narmeen Choudhury

STATEN ISLAND (PIX11) - Radiation levels were initially detected at Great Kills Park in 2005. Ever since the National Parks Service has continued surveys and studies and while their report is not fully completed, preliminary findings indicate the area of contamination is greater than they initially thought.

225 acres of land have been fenced off for a number of years. A number of fields, including several ball fields, are contained within that area and cordoned off to the public with signs that make no secret of the issue.

A spokesperson for the National Parks Service said the new discovery is still contained to the fenced off location and despite the close proximity to walkways and playgrounds, insisted there was absolutely no danger to the public. That same spokesperson, however, did admit not ALL of the park was surveyed and there were no immediate plans to do so.

“Why would they just pick and choose? If there’s a problem that exists throughout the park then lets get it done find out what the cause is and try to fix it,” said one park goer.

Congressman Michael Grimm said in a statement:

“This is much bigger issue than we ever expected, and unfortunately we have to be patient and let the NPS do whatever is needed to get this right. This is potentially a very dangerous situation, and the last thing I want is to have anyone or their children get sick or hurt because of this contamination.”

Read more: http://pix11.com/2013/09/23/radiation-scare-staten-island-parks-contamination-worse-than-previously-thought/#ixzz2fpYIu9ut

Fidel MD
09-24-2013, 06:37 PM
What a craptacular and fearmongering article.

What is the source of the radiation? How much radiation is there? Could just be natural expression of radon from decomposing granite.

The Stig
09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
I tossed that up quickly this morning.

After seeing Fidel's comment I did some further research. So far the only link to this story I can find is at that local news affiliate.

That's telling.

bacpacker
09-24-2013, 11:32 PM
I do wonder what the source is. Naturally occuring radiation is heavy is some areas. Much lower in others. I have no clue in that area. I will try and do a little research to see if I can find anything else.