PDA

View Full Version : Have a firearm? Better have a plan

Fidel MD
09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Anyone who has firearms for any reason, should have a plan for dealing with this sort of problem - either intentional or accidental.

Warning: This youtube video is quite graphic. While I don't know the ultimate outcome of the victim, I doubt it would turn out well for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8gGXZDRY0

A human can bleed to death in less than two minutes from this type of injury. It is also quite hard to treat: Even a tourniquet may be useless if the injury is too high on the leg. The only treatment would be to immediately pack the wound with a hemostatic bandage (combat gauze), apply lots of pressure, and get higher medical help, fast.

So, have the right tools at hand.

NWPilgrim
09-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Good point! Also applies to most tools like chainsaws, axes, bandsaw, etc. in normal times having a good medical handy when using firearms or tools can buy you more time to get aid. In SHTF time your medical kit may be the only treatment you will get.

In today's society we are so use to 911 and nearby hospital for immediate treatment. But traveling overseas, working/living in remote areas, or SHTF those amenities will not be available.

ElevenBravo
09-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Damn, I could have gone the rest of my life and never seen that...

But, point well made. Femoral is a MAJOR.

EB

apssbc
09-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Keep a TQ with you or at least very near you at all times. As the good DR said packing or quickclot type material my be the only way to go if the injury is too high up. Last resort could be to get in there with some hemostats and try to clamp off the artery however thats pretty advanced and success is pretty low on actually getting it clamped.

The Stig
09-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Yep, after a few trainings and a "medical incident" Firebase Stig became awash in TQs, hemostatic agents, triangle bandages and gauze.

bacpacker
10-01-2013, 12:18 AM
I have been working on improving my medical aid gear. Serious wounds similar to that is one of the things I have been working on (mainly due to chainsaw use). I need more and have them spread around everywhere.

That video will sure make you think.

Stormfeather
10-01-2013, 03:26 AM
yup, have a plan, have a way to implement that plan, and have the materials to implement it with.

Twitchy
10-01-2013, 06:18 AM
If your going after hemostatic agents, remember... the granule type is going to have to be removed prior to stitching yourself back up... The gauze impregnated stuff is going to hurt removing, but is going to be easier...

Stormfeather
10-01-2013, 01:36 PM
If your going after hemostatic agents, remember... the granule type is going to have to be removed prior to stitching yourself back up... The gauze impregnated stuff is going to hurt removing, but is going to be easier...

Big Army actually doesnt even recommend use of the granule anymore. the main reason behind it though, is that your ground level first responder medic or Joe was using the stuff on pretty much any injury, that coupled with not using the proper PPE while in the field, and getting the hemostatic agent in their eyes during combat zone operations, led to a disuse amongst pretty much all units except tier I & tier II guys. Basically figured, since they arent smart enough to use it, dont give it to them. Had to make it soldier/marine proof to be able to use it, hence the use of Hemostatic gauze now. Myself, I still keep large quantities on hand, but also know to use it, make sure you are wearing eye protection, one blast of wind and those granuales get in your eyes, combine that with the thermobaric reaction to liquids, and you are in for a world of hurt. Just be forewarned is all if you are going to use it. If you want to mitigate the risk, switch to the gauze.

Fidel MD
10-01-2013, 03:00 PM

It doesnt matter, you won't be awake for the removal. The only people I've ever heard complaining about it are Army Surgeons, and the only thing that whines more than they do is an Apache tail rotor gearbox.

Stormfeather
10-01-2013, 04:50 PM
LOL, this is SOOO true!!! ^^^^^

m4gery
11-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Also, Quickclot actually triggers the clotting cascade, so if a particle gets carried down the bloodstream it can cause clots away from the wound. Celox absorbs the water to aid in coagulation rather than directly causing clotting, so this risk is essentually eliminated. Also, celox breaks down into substances the body can process and excrete, which could be very useful if medical facilities aren't available and you don't get all of it out of the wound.

2die4
11-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Not many people think about first aid when shooting. I went to a friends house to shoot and I brought along my blowout kit with me just in case. When I put it on the table with the rest of the weapons to show everyone there was one available, everyone thanked me and said good thinking. I was with all military guys that have been in for more than a minute not one of them thought about it.

Stormfeather
11-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Not many people think about first aid when shooting. I went to a friends house to shoot and I brought along my blowout kit with me just in case. When I put it on the table with the rest of the weapons to show everyone there was one available, everyone thanked me and said good thinking. I was with all military guys that have been in for more than a minute not one of them thought about it.

Thats because when we go out to shoot on a recreational level, our minds dont function right, we need a two range to remember shit like a blow-out kit! Thats why I pack all my earmuffs on my first-aid kit, so I dont have a choice but to bring it since my ear-pro is attached to it!

MegaCPC
11-22-2013, 07:12 AM
I always carry a BOK on my belt when shooting, plus a CAT somewhere reachable on my gear.

Possom
11-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Don't that cat freak out and claw the crap out of you when you start touching off rounds?

Sorry couldn't resist. I just got a mental picture of a house cat swinging from a harness on your belt lol

MegaCPC
11-22-2013, 12:15 PM
It struggled a bit when I rubber banded it to my plate carrier... gives a whole new meaning to "soft armor."

2die4
11-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Thats because when we go out to shoot on a recreational level, our minds dont function right, we need a two range to remember shit like a blow-out kit! Thats why I pack all my earmuffs on my first-aid kit, so I dont have a choice but to bring it since my ear-pro is attached to it!
Hey I can't really blame them. It's been ingrained in all of us. "Medics are at the base of the tower" Keep your weapons pointing down range" "Range walk you!" "Take all commands from the tower and watch your lane."