PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom seed suppliers

Sniper-T
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Ever wonder where to get seeds in your area? wonder no more. This list isn't complete (I don't think) but it is a great place to start...

http://www.off-grid.info/food-independence/heirloom-seed-suppliers.html

:cool:

bacpacker
10-02-2013, 12:46 AM
Great find! All the places i buy from are on there, except one which I will include below. I see two nearby that I will check out along with several others that sound interesting and I'm interested to see what they have.

Thanks

https://www.totallytomato.com/secure/Login.asp?accessdenied=%2Fsecure%2FAccount%2FAccou ntHome.asp

ElevenBravo
10-02-2013, 01:00 AM
I know about the Monsoto thing... seeds that you cant harvest seeds from, etc.. GMO etc.. This being the main attraction to Heirloom seeds, which are "plain old, old school seeds".

However, if I were to say... plant potatos and yielded a crop, I wouldnt know how to use that to create a NEW crop.

I hope I am clear on what I am saying.

Anyone have any resources they can share on this specific aspect of gardening? Im a garden idiot...

EB

Sniper-T
10-02-2013, 01:11 AM
let some of your picked potatoes start to sprout, and simply use them instead of buying seed potatoes. cut them up so you have an active eye in each piece and plant it.

most things that generate seeds, save the seeds, on a paper towel or plate, and let them dry out. then the following year, treat them the same as what you get from a package.

msomnipotent
10-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I like the quality of the seeds from Baker Creek, which is on the list, but some of the packets had no instructions and some had wrong instructions. It probably doesn't make a difference to experienced gardeners, but I wasted a lot of seeds. As examples, buckwheat and some herbs had no planting instructions, and they said to plant corn one square foot for every plant, which I found out later was way too far apart to get pollination.

Socalman
05-29-2014, 04:50 AM
A great source for heirloom seeds of many types is Seed Savers. Try www.SeedSavers.com

- - - Updated - - -

Oopsss. SeedSaavers is actually a .ORG

www.SeedSavers.org

ak474u
05-29-2014, 02:20 PM
At first, I had terrible luck with heirloom seeds from some of the survival seed guys. We opened one of our seed vaults, and tried to start about 200 plants. I built a nice grow table, etc. miserable failure. Turns out, it was our fault. We didn't use the sterile dirt that the nursery sells, we used nice potting soil but not the sterile stuff. So... Fast forward to when it warmed up a little, and we did a direct sow with the same seeds. They came up in days, and are thriving.

Socalman
02-14-2015, 03:28 PM
I hope everyone will post their success with heirloom varieties this growing season. It might be good to also mention your general growing area. Certain varieties will not grow well in all areas.

ladyhk13
02-15-2015, 04:15 AM
If you have older seeds you can also use a3% solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide. It comes in 35% so you have to break it down using distilled water, soak your seeds overnight and you can spray them after you pot them. The extra boost of h2o2 will most times rejuvenate old seeds. I get my h2o2 from Guardian of Eden, they don't charge the Toxic shipping fee like many companies do.

Sniper-T
02-18-2016, 04:10 PM
came ACROSS THIS ONE, HAD TO ADD:

http://openseedvault.com/

realist
02-23-2016, 01:37 AM
Regarding the ones from California I have used Harmony Farm Supply which is about five mile away for the past 25 years with great results. They are my go to people for irrigation and farming. I don't know about much about Petaluma seed bank except their location. If I can be of any help let me know.