PDA

View Full Version : Grand Experiment

Stg1swret
10-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Since I am now by myself, I'm going to start what I call the grand experiment. I'm going mobile on the first of the year. Yes, you heard me right, mobile. Between now and then, I'll be building and outfitting a camper for the rear of my extended cab 4x4. I'll have most of the comforts of home, but will be able to pick up and move any time I choose. This is also going to allow me to visit all the lower 48 , which is something I've always wanted to do. I'll keep you all updated on progress as it goes along. I may even post a travel blog. Haven't come up with a name for it yet so if you have any suggestions, or ideas, let me know.

Stormfeather
10-04-2013, 07:03 PM
If you are going to visit the lower 48, then obviously, it should go without saying, you should visit all the ANTS!
We have a room available at all times for visiting ANTS!

Stg1swret
10-04-2013, 07:12 PM
That can be arranged, since I an set my own schedule and only have to answer to myself and God.

eagle326
10-04-2013, 07:24 PM
How about one I use?

Forever Forward

The Stig
10-05-2013, 01:43 AM
The Grand Experiment is pretty catchy.

A pic with the shtfready ant head patch at every stop would be a nice touch.

I really look foward to reading about the construction of the trailer and your adventures across the country.

Stg1swret
10-05-2013, 02:06 AM
It isn't going to be a trailer, Stig. I'll be constructing a camper top for the bed. Pictures will be taken and shared.

Twitchy
10-05-2013, 06:57 AM
This ought to be interesting! Might have to setup a Florida M&G or something...

Stg1swret
10-05-2013, 02:03 PM
The hardest part is going to be the route, as I don't want to do a lot of back tracking. I will most likely head west first looking at Michigan, Wisconsin , Minnesota and Iowa. Then South Dakota, North Dakota,Montana and Wyoming. Idaho, Washington, Oregon and California. Nevada, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. Colorado,Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma. Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina. Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois. Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia. Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and New Jersey. Connecticut, Rhode Island. Massachusetts and Maine. New Hampshire, Vermont, New York and then Pennsylvania.

I may refine the route between now and the start date, but it shouldn't change much. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of you along the way.

Stg1swret
10-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Right now I'm working on the plans for the camper shell. Have to decide on whether to construct with wood frame and plywood, or go with metal studs and use thin sheet metal for the skin. Once past that little problem, I can begin construction, and start outfitting for a long road trip;).

Sniper-T
10-05-2013, 05:08 PM
My vote would be be for metal studs and sheet. a layer of spray foam in between will add incredible amounts of strength as well as insulation against both cold and heat.

You realize, of course, that from the upper reaches of North Dakota, you are only an hour away from Sniper-ville, at which you are always welcome.

:)

Stg1swret
10-05-2013, 05:19 PM
I have plenty of time for a side trip to the "Great White North".

ElevenBravo
10-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh great... first someone steals my invention (smokless ashtray once sold by Ronco), and NOW someone goes and steals my dream!

Oh well, While in SWVA you can park in my driveway as long as you need (or 24 hours, which ever comes first).

EB

cwconnertx
10-05-2013, 09:55 PM
look into sheet aluminum for the shell. Like they use for step vans and such. About a 1/8 inch thick panel of solid aluminum runs about 110 or so for a 3'x5' sheet.

I like the idea of sandwhiching some spray foam between two layers. Its easy to cut with the right jigsaw blade, corrosion resistant, and really strong. I've thought of making a camper for a truck myself out of the stuff.

Stg1swret
10-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I'm still trying to decide, as there will be some seams either way. Insulation is a must, will be using Owens/Corning rigid pink foam for that chore. Have to refine my plans a bit, and make some templates before actual construction. Most of the project can be pop=riveted together,i.e., skeleton and outer skin. A little bondo should take care of the seams. Biggest part will be paint and outfitting the shell once it is done. I'm trying to go minimalist for now, as it will be just me traveling for now.

ANEURYSM
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
http://www.tnttt.com/index.php?sid=3efe328cdc1537ab9f346e52d4daa786

A great sight for building, go to the build threads and you will find where some one has built either a teardrop or stand up or a truck camper. Lots of knowlagable people over there.

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm

Free planns and bottom right is truck campers..

Any questions just ask I would be glad to help answer.

Grumpy Old Man
10-06-2013, 02:39 PM
Stg this sounds like the Steinbeck book "Travels with Charlie". I wish you well in this endeavor and have a spot for down here on the Pecan Bayou! Be well my friend!

Stg1swret
10-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the l;inks Aneurysm. Found some great ideas at http://mobilerik.com/1565/build-a-homemade-diy-truck-camper-part1/. Still exploring possibilities.

Grumpy thanks, I'll be sure and stop for a visit on my travels.

Stg1swret
10-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Started pricing out materials for constructing the shell. Looks like I'm going with 2x3's and OSB vice aluminum framing. For wood cost is about $500 as opposed to over $1000 for the aluminum. Weight will be greater, but that is the only trade off. I can also use standard carpentry tools. It will be a pop up, and give me about 80 inches of headroom when fully deployed. When on the road, the complete setup will only extend about 16 inches above the current cab height. Will post more details as I progress. Start date for construction is 1 November.

ak474u
10-07-2013, 03:39 AM
Oh great... first someone steals my invention (smokless ashtray once sold by Ronco), and NOW someone goes and steals my dream!

Oh well, While in SWVA you can park in my driveway as long as you need (or 24 hours, which ever comes first).

EB

None of my inventions worked out. For instance, the soap washer (who likes dirty soap? Not me!). The underwater fire extinguisher (market research showed lower than expected demand) and flashlights for the blind (I thought this one was a sure thing)

izzyscout21
10-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Dude....... This sounds so cool!

2die4
10-07-2013, 09:49 PM
I think you should name your
Blog Adventures of the modern day nomad. Hope your plans work out. This is a very cool idea.

Stg1swret
10-08-2013, 03:54 AM
Was thinking more of " Ant on the move."

eagle326
10-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Mobile Ant 1

Katrina
10-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Stg1
If you get to Michigan got a driveway you're welcome to park in

izzyscout21
10-22-2013, 02:08 AM
Stop by here. Ill trade you. Ill sleep in there, you sleep in the house. Maybe i get one night of sleep without a kid waking me up to pee.

David Armstrong
10-22-2013, 03:11 PM
If you use I-10 I'm close to the Louisiana-Texas border (on the Louisiana side) and you are welcome to do some R&R here. Good planning could even get you here during crawfish season.....yummmmmm!

Dropy
10-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Stop if your in my part of Oklahoma.

Stg1swret
10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
Thank you all gentlemen. I will definitely plan accordingly. It currently looks like the start of this experiment and travelogue may be delayed a little. The trip is definitely on, just have a few projects that need to be wrapped up first before I'll be able to take to the road.