PDA

View Full Version : How to Extract a Tooth if you ever need to diy

Taz Baby
10-11-2013, 01:42 AM
(copied)

Many of our readers are often surprised that a medical doctor and nurse devote a portion of their writing to dental issues. Few people who are otherwise medically prepared seem to devote much time to dental health. History, however, tells us that problems with teeth take up a significant portion of the medic’s patient load. In the Vietnam War, medical personnel noted that fully half of those who reported to daily sick call came with dental complaints. In a long-term survival situation, you might find yourself as dentist as well as nurse or doctor.

The basis of modern dentistry is to save every tooth if at all possible. In the old days (not biblical times, I mean 50 years ago), the main treatment for a diseased tooth was extraction. If we find ourselves in a collapse situation, that’s how it will be in the future. If you delay extracting a tooth because it “isn’t that bad yet”, it will likely get worse. It could spread to other teeth or cause an infection that could spread to your bloodstream (called “sepsis”) and cause major damage. Like it or not, a survival medic, will eventually find himself or herself in a situation where you have to remove a diseased tooth.

Tooth extraction is not an enjoyable experience as it is, and will be less so in a long-term survival situation with no power and limited supplies. Unlike baby teeth, a permanent tooth is unlikely to be removed simply by wiggling it out with your (gloved) hand or tying a string to it and the nearest doorknob and slamming. Knowledge of the procedure, however, will be important for anyone expecting to be the medical caregiver in the aftermath of a major disaster.

http://www.doomandbloom.net/how-to-extract-a-tooth/

ElevenBravo
10-11-2013, 07:46 PM
I like the Tom Hanks/Castaway method best, its the masculine way! :-)

EB

izzyscout21
10-13-2013, 03:20 AM
I shudder to think about having tooth issues after SHTF.....

Evolver
10-15-2013, 11:24 PM
(copied)

Many of our readers are often surprised that a medical doctor and nurse devote a portion of their writing to dental issues. Few people who are otherwise medically prepared seem to devote much time to dental health. History, however, tells us that problems with teeth take up a significant portion of the medic’s patient load. In the Vietnam War, medical personnel noted that fully half of those who reported to daily sick call came with dental complaints. In a long-term survival situation, you might find yourself as dentist as well as nurse or doctor.

The basis of modern dentistry is to save every tooth if at all possible. In the old days (not biblical times, I mean 50 years ago), the main treatment for a diseased tooth was extraction. If we find ourselves in a collapse situation, that’s how it will be in the future. If you delay extracting a tooth because it “isn’t that bad yet”, it will likely get worse. It could spread to other teeth or cause an infection that could spread to your bloodstream (called “sepsis”) and cause major damage. Like it or not, a survival medic, will eventually find himself or herself in a situation where you have to remove a diseased tooth.

Tooth extraction is not an enjoyable experience as it is, and will be less so in a long-term survival situation with no power and limited supplies. Unlike baby teeth, a permanent tooth is unlikely to be removed simply by wiggling it out with your (gloved) hand or tying a string to it and the nearest doorknob and slamming. Knowledge of the procedure, however, will be important for anyone expecting to be the medical caregiver in the aftermath of a major disaster.

http://www.doomandbloom.net/how-to-extract-a-tooth/

I hate to admit but... I've pulled two of my own teeth with a set of channel-lock pliers and they worked well.:o It doesn't hurt as much as one might think but there is a consequence... You don't smile like you use to.

rentprop1
10-16-2013, 05:09 AM
Stu says you're all pussies :D
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/HangOverToothScene_4492.jpg

Sniper-T
10-16-2013, 11:13 PM
unless you have the proper tools, which is unlikely unless you work in the industry... expect to jury rig. Being one who has pulled a tooth with a pair of needle nose vice-grips, know that it isn't as easy as it looks in those pics. anything other than the 'right' tool will break the tooth, and then continue to break the pieces.

Be with a buddy you trust. drink yourself unconscious. wake up without it.