PDA

View Full Version : US National Grid System

mitunnelrat
10-14-2013, 12:21 PM
No. Its probably not what you think.

I found a magazine called "Living Ready" and one of their articles was on this. Its a grid map system for US territories only that is set up and read like the Military Grid Reference System. It was established to standardize mapping across the US and get away from lat/ long, which apparently has some disadvantages that have delayed emergency response times and sent rescue crews to the wrong spot.

Long story short, I want these maps. Of course the official website is a non-essential piece of government though, so I'll either have to wait or find an alternative source. Figured I'd pass it along.

bacpacker
10-14-2013, 03:51 PM
That sounds worth looking into. Of course replaing all the maps I have now will suck and probably be expensive.

Fidel MD
10-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Seems to be pretty much the same as the UTMS grid system: http://www.amerisurv.com/PDF/TheAmericanSurveyor_USNationalGrid-Cavell_June2005.pdf

And your topo maps already have that.

mitunnelrat
10-22-2013, 02:02 PM
It is indeed a UTM system, but they're available for free (aside from paper and ink when printing them) so I'll give them a go. I'll link the site when I find it again! lol

rentprop1
10-23-2013, 05:52 AM
don't forget the credit card sized tool you need to measure these maps

I took a FEMA class on USNG a few years ago it was indeed to standardize mapping across the US and get away from lat/ long as you said, but it is also being used now as a test to see what the gov can get away with to avoid things like shipments being hijacked etc....

I sent Garmin, tom tom and other GPS manufacturers an e-mail asking what products they have that work with USNG, only Garmin replied and they have 3 models currently and they all range approx $ 400 and up

the map is the cheapest way to use USNG, but someday the GPS will catch up and thats when I start using it

I will have to dig out my card and maps we used in the class and post them

Stormfeather
10-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Any luck on finding this site again?

bacpacker
10-23-2013, 10:09 AM
don't forget the credit card sized tool you need to measure these maps

I took a FEMA class on USNG a few years ago it was indeed to standardize mapping across the US and get away from lat/ long as you said, but it is also being used now as a test to see what the gov can get away with to avoid things like shipments being hijacked etc....

I sent Garmin, tom tom and other GPS manufacturers an e-mail asking what products they have that work with USNG, only Garmin replied and they have 3 models currently and they all range approx $ 400 and up

the map is the cheapest way to use USNG, but someday the GPS will catch up and thats when I start using it

I will have to dig out my card and maps we used in the class and post them

Did you happen to note which models the Garmins were?

Fidel MD
10-23-2013, 01:48 PM
OK, as far as I can tell, this is exactly the same as the UTM system. Is it different?

And if it is UTM, my $100 Garmin Trex handles it just fine.

mitunnelrat
10-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I had to look it up, Fidel. This explained it pretty well, I think
http://gpsinformation.info/USNG/USNG.html

ETA: I seem to have misplaced the magazine I learned of this from, Stormy, which means I probably left it at work the other day, and I won't be back there until tomorrow... Bear with me though, and I'll find the site. I'll try this afternoon with a search engine.

Fidel MD
10-25-2013, 07:58 PM
OK, thanks. So it's a partial UTM grid, with 10m precision and the confusing stuff on the front left off (unless you're talking to someone from away).

In other words, it's UTM. Their attempts to simplify it just make it more complicated for me.

mitunnelrat
10-25-2013, 08:06 PM
That's the rub then, isn't it? The only coordinate system I'm familiar with at all is MGRS, so the USNG has more than some appeal for me. Especially if I can get my hands on hard copy maps.

Fidel MD
10-25-2013, 11:04 PM
All USGS topo maps HAVE the UTM / MGRS / NGS tick marks on them - the little blue tics on the margins.

Del461
10-26-2013, 05:24 AM
Tagged for info

mitunnelrat
10-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Any luck on finding this site again?

Ok. Here it is, finally
http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/