PDA

View Full Version : What About Rabies?

SconiPride
10-14-2013, 04:04 PM
So one thing recently occurred to me and I wondered if anyone else had any ideas.

I live in WI and so besides harsh winters I think one of my main worries is the possibility of rabies. Obviously you can get products for your dogs to help with rabies but there is no way to purchase vaccines for humans. But even if I could get my hands on it, it sounds like it would be impossible to administer in a survival situation. Anyone have any ideas or input?

Stormfeather
10-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Thats a good point, I have never thought about the aspects of Rabies. I will definitely look into it, but in a SHTF moment, Im going to assume you are probably screwed at that point, unless you can get your hands on some serious anti-biotics.

PS, where at in Wisconsin are you? SW down by Lacrosse/Fort McCoy/Sparta area here!

ETA: heres what the CDC says, basically, yea, you're screwed! :) http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/medical_care/vaccine.html

However, I would like to see if possibly the animal dosage stuff would work on the human side of things.

ETA again. . heres a couple of links, but downside if you will need a doctors note, and theres not real info on expiration dates so far, and its not cheap!
http://allmedtech.com/imrainbrava1.html
https://www.mooremedical.com/index.cfm?/IMOVAX%AE-Rabies-Vaccine/&PG=CTL&CS=HOM&FN=ProductDetail&PID=5829&spx=1

Fidel MD
10-14-2013, 05:44 PM
There is a rabies vaccine for humans (not the post exposure treatment). 3 injections (in the arm) at 0, 7 and 21 days.

It is recommended for high-risk groups (vets, some lab workers) and some international travelers. Boosters are recommended based on blood work showing a reduced protection. It is not a lifetime vaccination.

Stormfeather
10-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Is there one available without a doc's Rx though?
Also, does anyone know what shelf life would be on this stuff if kept refrigerated?

SconiPride
10-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Hey Stormfeather Its EPHESIANS6:12 from OK'ers I took your advice and made an account over here...

Im in the Eau Claire area so not far at all

As far as the Rabies vaccine the pet variety does not work the same way for humans I already checked into it. Also FidelMD is correct you can get the pre-exposure treatment from what Ive heard but I haven't found anyway to actually be able to buy it over the internet or over the counter or anything. The post-exposure shots are a series of 5 very painful shots over a period of some time (once a week).

So in conclusion Im just going to have to chalk this one up to a win for rabies because its seems impossible to prepare for. At least with the harsh winters I would give myself about a 20% chance of keeping my family alive on the move. Even if you could get your hands on it, it would probably have to be refrigerated or has an expiration date. You would also have to keep the syringe safe and have the long needle needed and it costs about 3000-5000 dollars to have the shots done at a hospital from what Ive read online. Im just going to put this one in the lords hands :D

Fidel MD
10-15-2013, 01:43 PM
Is there one available without a doc's Rx though?
Also, does anyone know what shelf life would be on this stuff if kept refrigerated?

No, and not long enough to matter

Fidel MD
10-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Hey Stormfeather Its EPHESIANS6:12 from OK'ers I took your advice and made an account over here...

As far as the Rabies vaccine the pet variety does not work the same way for humans I already checked into it. Also FidelMD is correct you can get the pre-exposure treatment from what Ive heard but I haven't found anyway to actually be able to buy it over the internet or over the counter or anything. The post-exposure shots are a series of 5 very painful shots over a period of some time (once a week).

So in conclusion Im just going to have to chalk this one up to a win for rabies because its seems impossible to prepare for. At least with the harsh winters I would give myself about a 20% chance of keeping my family alive on the move. Even if you could get your hands on it, it would probably have to be refrigerated or has an expiration date. You would also have to keep the syringe safe and have the long needle needed and it costs about 3000-5000 dollars to have the shots done at a hospital from what Ive read online. Im just going to put this one in the lords hands :D

The post exposure treatment isn't that painful. The immunizations used now don't create the same responses the live attenuated vaccines did years ago.

ElevenBravo
10-15-2013, 10:41 PM
For future reference?? Any wild animal that approaches you and appears to be unafraid of your human presence, destroy it! .357 or better should be able to unleash some resolve...

If there is some correction needed, please post...
EB

Stormfeather
10-16-2013, 07:31 PM
^^^ the last time I did this, the wife got all upset that I was killing off the new chicken population she bought! ^^^

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh! Welcome aboard! Great bunch of folks here! When you get the chance, introduce yourself to the folks here!

SconiPride
10-17-2013, 06:51 PM
For future reference?? Any wild animal that approaches you and appears to be unafraid of your human presence, destroy it! .357 or better should be able to unleash some resolve...

If there is some correction needed, please post...
EB

I was thinking more along the line of bats or incidental encounters where you're caught unaware. Maybe a child or a woman, neither of which make the best decisions in my experience. Also If I'm ever forced to survive on the move for a certain time you can only carry so much ammo with you. The little ammo I do have would be precious in a scenario like that.

I could always try a combination of my steel toe boots and my tomahawk if I had thick enough pants on. Obviously the safer bet to just hit em with the ol' Mossberg but I always try to plan for situations where I may be without my most important gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know if rabies can be killed at a certain temperature like to cook it out? Of course it would be best to proceed with caution and just steer clear of anything questionable. But if you were absolutely starving would the meat be safe after boiling for a long time?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone know if rabies can be killed at a certain temperature like to cook it out? Of course it would be best to proceed with caution and just steer clear of anything questionable. But if you were absolutely starving would the meat be safe after boiling for a long time?

Fidel MD
10-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Avoid the spinal cord and brain and you should be OK - but I'd avoid eating a diseased animal at all.