PDA

View Full Version : Bart strike snarls San Francisco commute

The Stig
10-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Original story HERE (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24583902) at BBC News

Bart strike snarls San Francisco commute

A closed Bay Area Rapid Transit station in Oakland, California on 18 October 2013 Bay Area Rapid Transit stations in cities and towns across the region were shuttered

A strike by workers of a major San Francisco-area rail transit system has snarled the morning commute for hundreds of thousands of workers.

Overnight negotiations between the labour unions and Bay Area Rapid Transit (Bart) reached an impasse just hours before the morning rush.

The city bolstered bus and ferry service to meet the demand of more than 400,000 affected commuters, and bridges and highways were clogged.

It is the second Bart strike this year.

Commuters lined up before dawn to catch charter buses into San Francisco, the city at the centre of the 4.3 million-population metropolitan area.

City officials estimated the buses could only transport 6,000 people per day.

Traffic on San Francisco's bridges also appeared heavier than normal.

"I am mad as hell," resident Jurgen Ware told Reuters news agency. "It's a big hassle thanks to Bart."

As she tried to board a charter bus at West Oakland Bart station, Tatiana Marriott, 21, a seamstress, told the Associated Press news agency: "I just want Bart and the unions to figure it out. I just want to get to work."

The two unions involved in the dispute represent nearly 2,400 train operators, station agents, maintenance workers and other staff.

Agreement was reportedly near on Thursday on the key sticking points of pay, healthcare and pension issues, said Roxanne Sanchez, president of the Service Employees International Union Local 1021.

But talks broke down just hours later, reportedly over issues including overtime scheduling.

Ms Sanchez said management had rejected a union suggestion to take the remaining issues to arbitration, prompting the walkout.

"Bart management blew up negotiations by insisting that employees sacrifice workplace protections in exchange for economic well-being," Pete Castelli, head of the SEIU Local 1021 labor union, said.

It is the second Bart worker strike in four months.

After a previous strike in July, California Governor Jerry Brown ordered a 60-day cooling-off period, which ended on Sunday.

A federal mediator has been working since then with Bart and the unions.

Bart spokeswoman Alicia Trost said the rail operator had been inundated with calls and emails this week from commuters frustrated they had not been given earlier notice about whether the trains would run.

For the ants in the larger metro areas.......imagine what traveling will be like in the midst or aftermath of a SHTF event.

helomech
10-20-2013, 11:53 PM
There would be no travel inside of a city, except on foot, maybe bicycle.

Sniper-T
10-21-2013, 09:49 PM
get moving asap... try to get out of town before the sheeple clue in that there is a problem. Then hopefully you can stay on some secondaries to get where you need.

NWPilgrim
10-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Nice opportunity for those in Bay area to practice their get home drill.

Stormfeather
10-23-2013, 08:55 PM
The BART strike is actually something on the plus side of San Francisco, most people who work there dont actually live there! the city of SF is actually quite small population wise, if memory serves me correct, its only like 800k or so actually live in SF proper, but it has a transient (coming and going, not homeless) population of somewhere around 1.3 million. Thats a crazy amount of people everyday trying to get into that city! But with the city politics, I cant see why anyone would ever want to live there!
The way I look at it, what better way to practice your Bug out plan!