PDA

View Full Version : Last Lead Smelter in US to Close

Grumpy Old Man
10-27-2013, 01:33 PM
http://w]ww.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/10/end-of-an-era-last-us-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december.aspx

In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close. The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum, Missouri, and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri's extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its "primary" designation. The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers. Several "secondary" smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

Doe Run made significant efforts to reduce lead emissions from the smelter, but in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard. Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter.

Whatever the EPA's motivation when creating the new lead air quality standard, increasingly restrictive regulation of lead is likely to affect the production and cost of traditional ammunition. Just this month, California Governor Jerry Brown signed into law a bill that will ban lead ammunition for all hunting in California. The Center for Biological Diversity has tried multiple times to get similar regulations at the federal level by trying, and repeatedly failing, to get the EPA to regulate conventional ammunition under the Toxic Substances Control Act.

At this time, it's unclear if Doe Run or another company will open a new lead smelter in the United States that can meet the more stringent lead air quality standards by using more modern smelting methods. What is clear is that after the Herculaneum smelter closes its doors in December, entirely domestic manufacture of conventional ammunition, from raw ore to finished cartridge, will be impossible.

Ammo prices are sure to rise! Act accordingly!

ditchmedic
10-27-2013, 06:45 PM
I dont expect to see a very large price increase from this.

Grumpy Old Man
10-27-2013, 09:49 PM
With no primary smelters left the concentrate will have to be exported for smelting then the lead bullion will have to be imported back to the US. Add 2 way transportation costs from MO, where it is mined to Mexico and back. Lead (Pb) goes into batteries as well as ammo components. So, it will probably triple in price because of the additional transportation costs.

Oh, Mexico has the nearest smelter to MO.

2die4
10-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Damn. Not much we can do but trying to grab as much as we can before the prices go up again.

Stormfeather
10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
start heading to your local non-corporate chain tire stores and get them lead wheel weights now folks!

Sniper-T
10-28-2013, 10:33 PM
if you have any auto wreckers around you, grab a screw driver and a pair of pliers and go harvest your own, that way you wont end up with a bunch of the crap ones mixed in.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-29-2013, 01:28 AM
The EPA has been closing down anything and everything from energy production to ammo production to automobiles to shit paper! Another great yet depressing.....find Grumpy. You're right on all counts as far as the again rising cost of ammo, part of the grand plan. They'll deplete our supplies. I hope everyone has been picking up a little at a time........bullets...........powder............pr imers...........brass.......cleaning supplies......patches. Even if you don't have a press, buy it anyway. someone will have it and you all can work together. OK I know........uh, I didn't think about that. Just a little bit at a time goes along way. It all adds up! Thanks for the warning Grumps. Now say a prayer for all those who are losing their jobs, that company has been in business since 1892! Imagine the history.......this sucks.

Grumpy Old Man
10-29-2013, 03:13 AM
L0ve ya'll bro

NWPilgrim
10-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Yep, I ordered some more of my basic bullets for rifle and pistol from PowderValley yesterday. Just 500 ct of each but it adds up. They had not as much selection in stock as in the past but enough of Sierra, Hornady, Berry's and Missouri Bullet to satisfy my needs.

20 years ago I was happy having 50-500 ct of bullets per caliber, usually some fraction of that. Now I have closer to 4,000 each and articles like this make me think lead will never be this cheap again, so might as well add more.

ditchmedic
11-01-2013, 08:44 AM
The secondary smelters are more than capable of keeping up with demand by recycling lead, just as they do now. It's a cheaper process and im sure most ammunition manufacturers buy from them anyway.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-07-2013, 01:33 AM
The secondary smelters are more than capable of keeping up with demand by recycling lead, just as they do now. It's a cheaper process and im sure most ammunition manufacturers buy from them anyway.

I think you missed the boat.........we're talking about jobs, history, a smelt, a country that was a producer now we an out sourcing bunch of fools who will soon be caught with our pants around our ankles with no lube just waiting to be raped by the the worlds rump rangers. Oh.....we already are all because of the mighty dollar. Brother we've pissed it away, we've allowed it and voted them in. No offense but you missed the point.

ditchmedic
11-07-2013, 02:39 AM
I think you missed the boat.........we're talking about jobs, history, a smelt, a country that was a producer now we an out sourcing bunch of fools who will soon be caught with our pants around our ankles with no lube just waiting to be raped by the the worlds rump rangers. Oh.....we already are all because of the mighty dollar. Brother we've pissed it away, we've allowed it and voted them in. No offense but you missed the point.

I didnt miss the point. You are the only one talking about jobs. The OP is talking about ammo prices, and so was everyone else.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Maybe I just look at the bigger picture because I'm ahead of the ball, full metal jacket, hollow point game................I'm not just talking about jobs brother it's cause and effect. That is all.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-07-2013, 02:18 PM
I didnt miss the point. You are the only one talking about jobs. The OP is talking about ammo prices, and so was everyone else.

Maybe I should use the term "we're" a little less loosely as well..........I type the way a talk and feel at the heat of the moment. I'll leave it at that.

Grumpy Old Man
11-07-2013, 09:20 PM
I'd like to see some data that recycling lead will meet the demand. I don't think that's truly the case. The Viburnum Trend is one of the largest Pb deposits in the Free World.

PRC is the #1 producer, followed by Australia in 2nd place and The US is third.
Only half of the Pb in products is recycled. Most batteries are exported to foreign countries where the recycling is substandard. I seriously doubt that ammo manufacturers are buying from recyclers as most ammo is produced from a Pb wire.

Also, most PB Recyclers are smaller operations.

All this took was a few minutes research using Ixquick. This was designed to cripple what remains of mining and manufacturing in this country. It is based on questionable science.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Yes, touche' Grumpy.........our once most power nation on earth. The biggest producer and exporter of products. Steel, Iron copper, aluminum, wheat, corn, cars, motorcycles, OIL and GAS and a "metric butt ton" of other products. Is now on bottom rung of the ladder thanks to our "elected officials" who we put there. They passed bill to allow all the EPA rules a regs to shut these industries down, big businesses out sourced to foreign countries for cheap labor. Man the list just goes on and on but I'm preaching to the choir here right?

Back on the "lead" topic, just what do you think will happen from here? If word gets out about "the last smelter" the ammo panic will increase worse than it already is to where the shelves will be completely empty. Don't matter what guage or caliber, people will buy it up because there will be a lead shortage panic. Oh the humanities!

Have you checked your inventory lately??????????????

bacpacker
11-08-2013, 01:02 AM
I have seen this same thread on 3 other sites this week. Word is spreading.

I went to Gander Mtn to look around last week. Surprisingly they had much more stock than I have seen anywhere since last December. They had a ton of .45, fair amount of .40 and 9mm, most all rifle round, including 3 different brands of bulk .223. 1000 round for $600. They one caliber they had a bit of, but much shorter than any other was .308. And it was all over $1.00 per round.

I did a inventory over the weekend and have a list of reloading supplies I need to hit hard. Bullets top the list.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
11-08-2013, 02:43 AM
OH.......did I mention not to disclose any information about your inventory?................DON'T..........at least i try not to.

bacpacker
11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Nothin other than the fact I took one. At least for certain items.

Grumpy Old Man
12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
As predicted! Remember you heard it here first!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/end-line-for-lead-bullet-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/

ditchmedic
12-18-2013, 11:59 PM
MSN doesnt really care that all these so called harmfull effects of lead ammo have been proven false many times over.

- - - Updated - - -

Eagles and Condors are much more likely to be harmed by remnants od leaded gasoline remaining in roadside dirt

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-19-2013, 02:59 AM
As predicted! Remember you heard it here first!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/18/end-line-for-lead-bullet-regulations-bans-force-switch-to-green-ammo/

I do like the performance of the Barnes TSX bullets. Of course they are more expensive. But this is going to be one big ass snow ball and we are at the bottom of the hill. Did you guys buy bullets yet or what? Now ya know ya been warned and shit...........

- - - Updated - - -

MSN doesnt really care that all these so called harmfull effects of lead ammo have been proven false many times over.

- - - Updated - - -

Eagles and Condors are much more likely to be harmed by remnants od leaded gasoline remaining in roadside dirt

Concur, it's all tree huggin bull shit excuses. The only real lead poisoning is when it penetrates the dermis and the epidermis. It's called GSW, caused by people who pull triggers. Not by guys who shit lead in creeks. Hey I do research, you can't put anything on the internet unless it's true.

helomech
12-19-2013, 04:05 AM
I do like the performance of the Barnes TSX bullets.

Love the Barness TSX and TTSX bullets. Awesome groups, 100% weight retention, and awesome terminal performance, but like you say a bit pricey.

bacpacker
12-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Been workin on getting lead in different cal's. Still got more to go, but it's cheaper now than it will ever be again. Just a good investment.

Stormfeather
12-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Havent ever stopped buying bullets, primers, powders, brass. . or rounds for that fact, its kind of like the normal shopping list around here, every month I buy some, sometimes less, sometimes more, but its a monthly purchase no matter what.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
12-28-2013, 03:49 PM
It's a good concept. When you go to Wally World or where ever you shop, and they have the "stuf" you pick up something. Doesn't matter what or how much, just get something, it's all about inventory.