PDA

View Full Version : Deboning a deer

Sniper-T
10-29-2013, 11:55 PM
Came across this vid again.

definately worth a rewatch if you've seen it before, or a first time watch and then rewatch. I've been butchering and deboning for 30+ years and pick up a trick or two everytime I see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw

helomech
10-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Waiting for it to load so I can watch it. My internet is sllllloooooooooowwww.

Sniper-T
10-30-2013, 12:17 AM
once loaded you may want to watch it in slo-mo. GREAT technique!

bacpacker
10-30-2013, 12:26 AM
I'm sure there is a lot in there for a rookie like me. Book marked for future use.

Sniper-T
10-30-2013, 12:38 AM
I thought I was good up to a couple years ago when I saw this vid. I have implemented many of his techniques but am still in the 1/2 hour range at best! But I do more trimming too, and that carcus is already well trimmed of fat before he started. The hook, although looking unwieldly, is awesome!

he is obviously rushing for the video, but that is a well practice hand with that knife.

And speaking of which... that is crazy sharp!

I knocked down a deer last year just before dusk, way back in the bush away from the truck, so with a small tarp from my bag, I skinned it, deboned it, and got the meat packed in less than an hour. Unfortunately, it took longer than expected to finish it when I got back from the leaves/grass and hair, but since we lost one to wolves in less than an hour a couple days before, I wasn't leaving it to come back.

What would impress the hell out of me is to see him do that with a fresh animal on the ground, instead of a nice butcher block. Like one would do to pack out a moose or caribou (or deer).

Sniper-T
11-20-2013, 10:20 PM
I deboned a doe last week like this (sans hook - I forgot it), on the clock. I made a bit of a mess of my buddy's kitchen table, but managed it in almost exactly 12 minutes. (12:04)

Granted that is only the first step, then there is the trimming, and slicing etc.

In total, Together, my buddy and I did 2 deer that we had hanging, skinned them, deboned them, cut and wrapped them in three hours.

We were hustling, but we were also in his cabin, and not an actual butcher shop.

Stormfeather
11-21-2013, 12:16 AM
I take my time doing it, that being said, I loved the video and may try some of his ideas, but for me, I take my time doing it, slow and steady wins the day!

Sniper-T
11-21-2013, 12:40 AM
I agree Stormy... but I just wanted to see how I could do. Typically, it is an evening thing, with a few friends and some drinks... you know. but given the circulation of this video across a multitude of forums (and others) I wanted to test myself.

And seriously... watch the video! watch it again. and again, and then again.

I still do... and not for the speed, but to see where to grab and pull, where to start a slice, etc. the only reason he is so fast, is he knows EXACTLY how each chunk of meat is meant to come off! and that, my neighbour, is half the battle to tearing down an animal!