PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone reading now and/or read lately

mybodymyself
06-30-2011, 01:02 AM
As for me haven't been doing that much reading lately. Found that I hardly read any more as well. Have to say do have times like this and others don't. Guess it depends on the book itself as well.

To the End of the Land, David Grossman and Jessica Cohen (Translator)

A Midwife's Tale : The Life of Martha Ballard, Based on Her Diary, 1785-1812, Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. Already viewed the dvd part of it and it was worth the watch. Now, I can't wait the book to learn even more about Ms Ballard.

Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far, Bristol Palin and Nancy French

This is taken from another thread and/response that I have done regarding Bristol's mother and Tripp's grandmother.

What is/are Sarah Palin stance/s on family leave act (maternity, paternity, etc)? The reason why I'm asking this here because she didn't bring up in neither of her books. In my opinion this should be a paid one. It should also nation and worldwide as well.

Is there anyone else on here besides whom are getting beyond tired of her still being in the spotlight? That also goes her putting her husband, kids, rest of her family, and friends being in the spotlight and etc. Even though I'm still like her as a person then a politician.

She should just go back to her husband and kids. Instead being in the spotlight. Do feel sorry for her kids and the rest of family and everyone whom is associated with her. Because politics have truly ruined her and her husband for sure. Yeah I could be wrong about this.

Finished reading these few books almost half a mo to 2 mo back now.

The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents.: One Unconventional Detour Around the World, Jennifer Baggett, Holly C. Corbett, Amanda Pressner.It was worth the read. Especially, returning the hardcover because found it was little worn. Had to wait until the paperback was released to read it.

Mountain of Crumbs: A Memoir, Elena Gorokhova a week ago. It was worth read. Especially, since found I learned more about the former Soviet Union then what I already knew about before reading your memoir. Can't wait to read more of Ms Gorokhova's life and/or her mothers life now.

A Father's Love: One Man's Unrelenting Battle to Bring His Abducted Son Home, David Goldman. WOW what a memoir this was and thank you, Mr. Goldman for writing about your ordeal to get Sean back home.

piranha2
06-30-2011, 02:23 AM
I agree that Sarah has turned into a reality show personality. She is no longer a viable candidate for a political appointment.

The Stig
06-30-2011, 02:28 AM
Folks, political discussions are not to take place in the open forum. If you'd like to start a civilized discussion on this topic in the politics forum (http://www.shtfready.com/politics/) feel free. Otherwise this thread needs to get back on what everybody is reading.

piranha2
06-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Sorry - you are right.

The Stig
06-30-2011, 02:36 AM
Sorry - you are right.

No problems.....so...what'cha reading?

bacpacker
06-30-2011, 02:44 AM
This time of year theres not much time for me to read. It's mostly gardening and food prep related books. One I go thru a lot is the current years issue of Blum's Farmers Almanac. Lots of good info in there. I am taking a 3 day class on Excel for my job. Maybe I can figure out how to build a spread sheet to track my preps better.

Grumpy Old Man
06-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Rereading "Dare to Prepare", "The LDS Preparedness Manual" and "TO Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth". For light reading I'm reading "The Clash of Kings", the next book in the series after "A Game of Thrones". I read Concrete International every month as well as Fur-Fish-Game and The Backwoodsman.

I forgot to add "Vengeance" whenever Stig posts a new chapter,lol.

izzyscout21
06-30-2011, 07:58 PM
im actually reading Seal Team Six right now

Kodiak
06-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Currently reading A Storm of Swords, which is the 3rd book of A Song of ICe and Fire series from author George R.R. Martin. The books are featured on a series from HBO called A Game of Thrones.

Excellent reading if your in to midieval/fantasy books.

Thor827
06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Currently reading A Storm of Swords, which is the 3rd book of A Song of ICe and Fire series from author George R.R. Martin. The books are featured on a series from HBO called A Game of Thrones.

Excellent reading if your in to midieval/fantasy books.

I'm currently reading the first book in this series and it's fantastic. I'm not much of a sci fi/ fantasy fan, but the show made me curious and now I'm hooked.

Other than that, I'm reading Vengeance here and I'm still following Adrian's Undead Diary. Both of these have me on the edge of my seat.

Kodiak
07-01-2011, 01:24 AM
I just got caught up on Adrians Undead Diary, very good reading.

mitunnelrat
07-01-2011, 04:25 AM
"Vengeance", "AUD" for fun.

I've been paging through "Back To Basics" and have my other half talked into building slip form rock walls and a steel roof when we build a home. I just pulled "When Technology Fails" out of storage again. Its got nuggets of good info, has some "meh" pieces, but really shines as a compilation of titles on specific subjects, so I thought I'd use it to expand my library.

I also have another volume I'm reading, which I'd like to discuss on the merit of its historical pieces, but I need to get an ok from admin before I do so here.

mitunnelrat
07-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Alright, I've been given the go ahead, and can discuss the final book I'm reading (in honor of the time of year), which...

...intersects the teachings of XXXX with the history of the United States while applying it to today's culture.

This is definitely not light reading for me. As I grow older I find myself standing more and more upon principle, and the consequences be damned, so I've spent hours contemplating various bits and passages of this book. The first piece I want to share, and one of the coolest things I found within its pages, is an excellent discourse on patriotism.

Noah Webster's An American Dictionary of the English Language, 1828
patriotism, n. Love of one's country; the passion which aims to serve one's country, either in defending it from invasion, or protecting its rights and maintaining its laws and institutions in vigor and purity. Patriotism is the characteristic of a good citizen, the noblest passion that animates a man in the character of a citizen.

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition, copyright 2004
patriotism, n. Love for or devotion to one's country.

Note how the definitions have changed. Noah Webster's patriot defends his country with objective actions, versus the vague, subjective patriotism of one who only feels and expresses love for his country. True patriotism is not just an emotional feeling; it is action.
Webster's original definition includes a love for country, service to country, defense of country, protection of rights of country, maintenance of the laws and institutions of country, preservation of religion and morality in public and private life, and puts the need of the country above personal or partisan desires as well as above the favor of foreign nations.

Its my belief that words matter, and hold power. In this case, the absence of so many words speaks volumes, but, I believe Samuel Adams said it best:

The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil Constitution, are worth defending at all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks. We have received them as a fair inheritance from our worthy ancestors: they purchased them for us with toil and danger and expense of treasure and blood, and transmitted them to us with care and diligence. It will bring an everlasting mark of infamy on the present generation, enlightened as it is, if we should suffer them to be wrested from us by violence without a struggle or to be cheated out of them by the artifices of false and designing men.

That quote strikes me as being as valid today as it was over 200 years ago. It reaffirms that our struggle with the entitlement mentality is nothing new, that through the "artifices of false and designing men" our nation has experienced a paradigm shift from (what Dr. Stephen Covey calls) the Character Ethic to the Personality Ethic. I use that term now because I remembered a quote, which I just looked up on quotes (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/watch_your_thoughts-they_become_your_words-watch/13673.html)

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

If we abandon character for personality, what is our destiny as a nation? An everlasting mark of infamy, as stated above.

These are the things I've been musing on as I page through this book. Luckily though, I've found it also contains and articulates what I view as the best possible solution to this problem, through its "Characteristics of the American Patriot". There are margin notes, stories, articles, and examples of different characteristics abound. Courage is represented by women's suffrage, Dr. MLK Jr., and Francis Marion, "The Swamp Fox". "Inspiring" was exemplified by George Washington Carver, for being called as an expert in favor of a peanut tariff when it was unusual for blacks to be called at all. Honor. Integrity. Service. Civil Duty. Freedom. They, and many more, had stories of our ancestors and national history attached to them. And I find that to be, quite simply, awesome.

I'd speak on it more, but much of the content is given from a religious/ spiritual perspective. Suffice to say that I think anyone, of any background, could stand to open the cover of this book and come out of it with something useful and/ or interesting. I highly recommend it.

beginner
07-08-2011, 05:32 AM
What am I reading right now? Isn't it obvious? I'm reading a thread on SHTFReady at the moment......

Fatty
07-08-2011, 04:31 PM
We had a slow 12hr night shift and i borrowed "one second after" to a co-worker. I had probed him with a few questions and since he was complaining about it being a slow night, i told him to wrap his mind around that. By the end of the shift he was shitting bricks. Had a few questions I was able to answer but atleast I made someones life a little less repetitive lol.

bacpacker
07-08-2011, 09:28 PM
We just got a kindle today. I've already downloaded several books I'm looking forward to reading over the next few weeks/months. Some of the title's
Surviving off grid, by Micheal Bunker
The World set free, by HG Wells
The Odyssey, by Homer
Gardening when it Counts, by Steve Soloman
The Notebooks of Leonardo DaVinci, That one has gotta have some great stuff in it.

I'm excited to see what all is available. Plus I have quite a few different survival, medical, and other topics saved on PDF, which can be loaded on here as well. I'll do a review after a few weeks on how it's working and how useful it turns out to be.

RedJohn
07-08-2011, 09:38 PM
If you can give us a review on the kindle. I am thinking about one.

Stg1swret
07-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm re-reading One Second After.

Twitchy
07-08-2011, 10:19 PM

I noticed you are using skimlinks :)

on topic, Kindle's are nice pieces of hardware... Have you also looked at the Android Tablets? they have similar capabilities...

bacpacker
07-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Haven't had it long enough to tell much about it. Here is some stuff I have found out.

Looks like it will hold around 30Gb. The way the screen is made it is pretty easy to read in the sun light. They have a model that will connect via wireless and 3G. Another that is wireless only. The battery charges in about 30-45 min from a dead start. It's suppose to hold a charge for a month. I'll be surprised if it holds out that long, but even if it's 75% of that, it won't be bad.

From the reviews I read. the Nook is not able to be read in sunlight, cost about twice as much. $114 for the base kindle, $164 for the 3g kindle, $250 for Nook. The nook does come in color and has a different selection on titles to choose from. I don't know how much storage the nook has.

I have just recently started seeing the Android tablet, don't know anything about them. My BIL has a Ipad and likes it pretty well, does a lot more than the kindle. Actually much closer to a Laptop, but around $500 and much bigger. The Kindle is about 5x8 give or take and 3/8" thick. It will fit in the leg pocket in my BDU's if needed.

Bottom line they are all somewhat different, it really just depends on what you want them to do and how much you want to spend.

RedJohn
07-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, I have an iPad, but it is bigger and heavier. i really need something to put my computer language books, survival manuals and stuff to take along with me. This Kindle seems to be more practical, a lot lighter, and have better outside reading. I really have to look into it.

bacpacker
07-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more (http://www.amazon.com/)

RJ here's where I got our at. I have found that there are a lot of free books available, some that cost very little ($3.99 of less), others that are a good break from the hardback or paperback versions, others that have no price break at all. Lots of title's available.

I did get a Leather cover for ours, for protection as much as anything, a car charger for $2.95 (should be useful when traveling espically if the battery life is not as good as reported), and a small light (I like to read late at night with the room dark).

I haven't loaded any PDF's yet, but I don't expect it to be a big deal.

panther woman
10-01-2011, 12:26 AM
I recently re-read "When Worlds Collide" and "After Worlds Collide". Just finished "The Help", wanted to read it before I saw the movie. I'm taking classes right now so have to spend most of my time reading textbooks: Homer's "Iliad" and a book about Urban Europe during the Middle Ages, also just finished "The Turn of the Screw." As you can tell, I like to read!

Dropy
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I am reading shtfready.com :D

The Stig
10-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I am reading shtfready.com :D

A notebook of ideas that end up in a story called End Game

TEOTWAWKI13
10-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Last I read was Enemies Foreign and Domestic by Bracken. I'm now reading the next installment of that series. Domestic Enemies I think it's called. Sad to say, it's not too difficult to imagine these books as non fiction.

Stg1swret
10-02-2011, 01:26 AM
End Game, and waiting for the next Jerry D. Young story to come out.

bacpacker
10-02-2011, 01:31 AM
I just received a new copy of "When Technology Fails" to get started on (Thanks Stormy). Also reading a couple books on gardening and prepping your land for gardening to keep soil nutrients high on the Kindle.

Grumpy Old Man
10-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I just got a used copy of "The Way Things Work" by C. Van Amerongen. This is the book that was mentioned prominently in Niven & Pournelle's "Lucifer's Hammer". It is an illustrated encyclopedia of the operating principles of most every machine in use at the time of publication in 1967. It is overwhelming in its information. That coupled with deCamp's "Ancient Engineers" and the Foxfire books provide the base of my "how-to" library. It was ~$25 shipped and was a hell of a find. I've been looking for this for several years and all I could ever find was McCauley's children's book of the same title. I'm stoked!!

Sniper-T
10-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Just finished reading: Armeggedon Survival Handbook

Rainer Stahlberg

8 chapters
1 general
2 economic
3 climactic
4 terrorists
5 warfare
6 ecological
7 political
8 bizzarre

Each chapter contains several scenarios and is then further broken down into 'day 1, day 2, day 3...etc.

and this goes from how to recognize the onset, how to prepare before, what to do during, and of course how to survive it.

I don't know if there is a pdf... I'm oldschool, I like books.

look here:
THE ARMAGEDDON SURVIVAL HANDBOOK: HOW TO PREPARE YOURSELF FOR ANY POSSIBLE (http://www.theanglingbookstore.com/thearmageddonsurvivalhandbookhowtoprepareyourselff oranypossible.aspx)

Hogleg
11-09-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm reading The TEOTWAWKO Tuxedo by Joe Nobody.

Grumpy Old Man
11-09-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm just finishing Enemies Domestic by Bracken. Living where I do this scenario is very close to real world stuff.

Gunfixr
11-09-2011, 06:03 PM
I hardly have any time to actually read books anymore, which is unfortunate, since as a kid I almost liked nothing better.
I had a real penchant for Louis L'Amour, Stephen King, and John Saul. There was one more similar, but I cannot remember at the moment.

Anyway, I did just recently pick up some books, and hope to both read and make use of them. One is a book on flexibility for martial arts. I'm not much of a martial artist in the classic sense, but I'm not getting any younger, nor more nimble.
Second is a book on Krav Maga, which is the hand to hand method used by the IDF. It is both simple yet effective, and based on physics rather than strength, so that anyone may employ it effectively.
Third is a book on Japanese Samurai swordsmanship. I have had a fascination and love for swords, and for awhile took a sword and Bowie knife fighting class. I have both Bokken and a nice Paul Chen Katana. If nothing else, the kata will be good for my flexibility and general health.

Fatty
11-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Just bought Patriot in buildup to the sequel, ordered Lucifer's Hammer, and waiting for Seal Target Geronimo to come down in price:) Its already creating controversy on CNN

Sparrow
11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
This is one of my favorite books:

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/54/e8/5a/2004325515-260x260-0-0_Blackbird_House_by_Alice_Hoffman.jpg

You can download the full txt in PDF here:

http://dc355.4shared.com/img/m_0K7XHz/Blackbird_House_-_Alice_Hoffma.pdf (http://www.4shared.com/document/m_0K7XHz/Blackbird_House_-_Alice_Hoffma.html)

Beautiful, sometimes tragic stories of a home that was built and the people who lived there over a span of about 100 years. These stories Hoffman write are very sentimental with beautiful prose which both inspire and help those who read them to be better people, and love and appreciate those around you.

From the first chapter ...

I.

IT WAS SAID THAT BOYS SHOULD GO ON
their first sea voyage at the age of ten, but surely this notion was
never put forth by anyone's mother. If the bay were to be raised one
degree in temperature for every woman who had lost the man or child she
loved at sea, the water would have boiled, throwing off steam even in
the dead of winter, poaching the bluefish and herrings as they swam.
Every May, the women in town gathered at the wharf. No matter how
beautiful the day, scented with new grass or spring onions, they found
themselves wishing for snow and ice, for gray November, for December's
gales and land-locked harbors, for fleets that returned, safe and
sound, all hands accounted for, all boys grown into men. Women who had
never left Massachusetts dreamed of the Middle Banks and the Great
Banks the way some men dreamed of hell: The place that could give you
everything you might need and desire. The place that could take it all
away.

This year the fear of what might be was worse than ever, never mind
gales and storms and starvation and accidents, never mind rum and
arguments and empty nets. This year the British had placed an embargo
on the ships of the Cape. No one could go in or out of the harbor,
except unlawfully, which is what the fishermen in town planned to do
come May, setting off on moonless nights, a few sloops at a time, with
the full knowledge that every man caught would be put to death for
treason and every boy would be sent to Dartmoor Prison in England as
good as death, people in town agreed, but colder and some said more
miserable.

Most people made their intentions known right away, those who would go
and those who would stay behind to man the fort beside Long Pond if
need be, a battle station that was more of a cabin than anything, but
at least it was something solid to lean against should a man have to
take aim and fire. John Hadley was among those who wanted to stay He
made that clear, and everyone knew he had his reasons. He had just
finished the little house in the hollow that he'd been working on with
his older son, Vincent, for nearly three years. During this time, John
Hadley and Vincent had gone out fishing each summer, searching out
bluefish and halibut, fish large enough so that you could fill up your
catch in a very short time. John's sloop was small, his desires were
few: he wanted to give his wife this house, nothing fancy, but
carefully made all the same, along with the acreage around it, a meadow
filled with wild grapes and winterberry. Wood for building was hard to
come by, so John had used old wrecked boats for the joists, deadwood
he'd found in the shipyard, and when there was none of that to be had,
he used fruit wood he'd culled from his property, though people
insisted apple wood and pear wouldn't last. There was no glass in the
windows, only oiled paper, but the light that came through was dazzling
and yellow; little flies buzzed in and out of the light, and everything
seemed slow, molasses slow, lovesick slow.

Stg1swret
12-18-2011, 01:34 AM
While this book is not strictly related to survival it has some great info of use to all of us ; Leadership Secrets of the Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko

GunnerMax
12-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Patriots by james wesley, rawles

bacpacker
12-18-2011, 04:31 PM
When Technology Fails. I'm just getting into this, but there is a huge amount of info in it.

Also a couple books on the Kindle:

Gardening when it counts, by Steve Soloman

Sepp Holzer's Permaculture, by Sepp Holzer

mitunnelrat
12-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I have "When Technology Fails", there is a ton of information in it. What I found I liked the most though, was the references to his source books.

bacpacker
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
I'm starting to see several references already. The one's I have looked at just add detail. Good stuff.

izzyscout21
12-18-2011, 06:37 PM
I know it's kinda cliche', but I'm reading World War Z right now.

LUNCHBOX
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM

I picked one up about a month ago....basic model. The first book I downloaded was "One Second After"--As for the review, downloading was simple, smooth and it holds a large amount of material. I would recommend.

Fatty
12-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Finished Lucifer's Hammer last week. I felt it wasn't as good as OSA but still a great book. Gotta watch out for those comets!

Studying the technician manual for Ham now.

Sniper-T
12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
^
where's you get that Fatty? Haven't seen it locally.

Just finished Scarpetta, by Patricia Cornwell. Not prepping related, but I'm a sucker for Dr. Kay.

Fatty
12-20-2011, 04:33 AM
Sniper, if you wanna read it ill happily mail it to you.

Sniper-T
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks Fatty. I'm hitting a couple of bookstores today after work (X-mas shopping). If I don't find it again, I'll take you up on that

The Stig
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
After Christmas I'm going to pick up a few books from my youth to reread:

Where Eagles Dare - Alistair Mcclean (have it but my original copy is falling apart. This is my favorite story of all time, bar none)

The Partisans - Alistair MacLean (the main character in this story is the inspiration for Miller in my stories.)

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy (the penultimate 1980's WWIII story. The battle scenes from End Game are my [lame] homage to Mr Clancy)

Team Yankee - Harold Coyle (a good 1980's WWIII story)

Then I need to reread (already have them):
Spy Wednesday - William Hood (a good spy tale from the 1980's. The "feel" of this book is what I try to recreate when I'm writing the spy parts of my story.)

Confessional - Jack Higgins (an EXCELLENT series of novels about an IRA operative following him from WWII through the early 1980's. Confessional is the final book in the series and is the best IMO. I like the pacing and speed of the book)

The Eagle Has Landed - Jack Higgins (the first book in the series above. Good but not as good as Confessional. However, I like how the bad guy in the story is very relateable and hard to hate. Sound familiar?)

Charlie Mike - Leonard Scott (best Viet Nam book I can read. I try desperately to channel the emotion of this book when I write. See also the character Dove)

Sympathy for the Devil - Kent Anderson (a very dark Viet Nam book)

At some point I should probably go buy the WEB Griffin series The Brotherhood of War (http://www.webgriffin.com/series_brotherhood.html) and re-read those. A very good story following men from WWII through Viet Nam.

Another book from my youth I should get around to rereading is Escape from Warsaw/The Silver Sword (http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Warsaw-Original-title-Silver/dp/0590437151#reader_0590437151) by Ian Serraillier. I read it as a very young kid (like 4th or 5th grade maybe) and seem to remember it as a good book but my memory may be off on that one.

bacpacker
12-20-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice list Stig. I've read several of those and see a couple titles I'd like to get. Charlie Mike and Sympathy for the Devil. both sound interesting.
I just ordered One Second After for my Kindle. That'll be my next read when I get started on a new one.

Grumpy Old Man
12-20-2011, 10:29 PM
+100 on Escape from Warsaw/The Silver Sword. I remember reading that some number of years ago when I was in grade school (around the 5th grade when JFK was assassinated). Very moving story based on fact IIRC. Another one was Fire Hunter by Jim Kjelgaard that I read at the time. It was about a Cro-Magnan outcast and his discovery of the bow and arrow, after passing through his atlatl stage along the way.

I just finished reading Stieg Larssen's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Trilogy. It was a very interesting read. The Swedish movies of the same names are very good as well. So right now I'm reading the last in Matthew Bracken's Enemies Foreign and Domestic Trilogy. I got "Lights Out" as a pdf. from Arf.com some years ago as I recall, so I may revisit that.

I'm just not as technologically hip as you guys are, so I probably won't get a Kindle until my best friend (?) ridicules me into it.

But right now I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a real good read. Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy are over for the season and NASCAR doesn't start for 2 1/2 more months, so TV is only on for the morning news and weather channel for a half hour in the morning. On the flip side, my electric bill this month was only $40.:)

Gunfixr
12-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Looks like the rest will be put aside, while I study up on Myasthenia Gravis, and well, it will be prep related, as far as my family goes.

At least My wife come home before Christmas.

realist
12-23-2011, 03:29 PM
I have just finished reading "End Game" again as well as "CME" both are excellent reads. For books I also just finished "The Walk", by Lee Goldberg. It was interesting to say the least but kind of like a TV show, that is what he normally writes. Last month I read "Lights Out" and "One Second After". I am always looking for something new in the genre. I also have just started "American Apocalypse" so that will be my reading for the weekend.

Stig I am a military history guy. I think the way WEB Griffin wrote the Brotherhood of War was outstanding. Unfortunately I loaned it out to a guy and have never seen him again. I need to get the series again and read it over again.

izzyscout21
12-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Finished Reading World War Z.

Just moved on to Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Next in the Chute: Locked On by Tom Clancy

gunbuilder69
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Matterhorn

bacpacker
12-28-2011, 01:03 AM
Just started One Second After.

Fatty
12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Just ordered
"The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse"
"Handbook to Practical Disaster Preparedness for the Family, 2nd Edition"

I was hesitant at first, then i read the reviews (100+) each and pulled the trigger.

Still studying my ham technician manual.

mitunnelrat
12-28-2011, 07:56 PM
I haven't started it yet, but my next book up is "National Economic Theories, Policies, Issues" from the National Defense University's National Security Management Series, circa. 1981.

Sniper-T
12-29-2011, 03:24 PM
just started "The Disaster Preparedness Handbook"

GunnerMax
12-29-2011, 04:30 PM
Lights out now.

I have finished: patriots, tooth and nail, apocalypse law 1 and 2

Next: the walk and jakarta pandemic

Sniper-T
12-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Oh... and I am also listening to "Lucifer's Hammer"

bacpacker
12-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Lights out now.

I have finished: patriots, tooth and nail, apocalypse law 1 and 2

Next: the walk and jakarta pandemic

Gunner I read Jakarta Pandemic last winter. That is a good story and I thought pretty well written. I may get it for the Kindle.

I've also been looking at Apocalypse Law to get. What did you think about those? I haven't read any reviews yet.

GunnerMax
12-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Apoc law 1 and 2 were good stories, but little was mentioned about the whole complex scenario of prepping. To sum up the story with no spoiling, it was about a virus and left a man and boy to fend for themselves. It tells the day to day story, unlike Patriots. A good read that opens your eyes to the necessity of good supplies. I will leave it at that.

bacpacker
12-31-2011, 02:06 AM
Thanks Gunner. I will have to check those out.

Stg1swret
01-04-2012, 01:39 AM
I just finished two non prep related books, 'Killing Lincoln", and "More Civil War Curiosities". Both were good reads.

ravensgrove
01-04-2012, 05:01 AM
I am rereading and Big J is reading for the first time...Atlas Shrugged.....its all about your attitude people.

izzyscout21
01-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Starting on "Locked On" the new Tom Clancy yarn

Twitchy
01-05-2012, 03:35 AM
That was a good read izzy, Locked On is great!!

I'm on "Executive Order" by Tom Clancy myself...

bacpacker
01-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Executive order is a killer read. Izzy let me know what you think about locked on, i hadn't saw it yet.

ladyhk13
01-06-2012, 04:52 AM
One Second After

izzyscout21
01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Executive order is a killer read. Izzy let me know what you think about locked on, i hadn't saw it yet.

WIll do. just got started on it. so far so good.

Grumpy Old Man
01-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I am reading, in the following order, The Territorial Seed Catalog, the Abundant Life Seed catalog, the Vermont Bean Seed catalog and the Cabela's Fishing catalog. While the plots are very simplistic, I find that they provide an enjoyable read and stimulate my thought process. YMMV

izzyscout21
01-06-2012, 07:03 PM
^^
ROTFLMAO

In that case, I might add American Rifleman, Guns and Ammo, CHeaper than Dirt, and on some days, Victorias Secret.........

Grumpy Old Man
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Well Izzy, you guys asked what I was reading now. A little later in the day a friend in Idaho was telling me about his friend, the ranger at Mt Ranier, who was killed recently by a young man suffering from PTSD. As that brought home my own mortality I re-read Meditation XVII by John Donne, the Anglican Cleric. I have included a link for online reading, in case you don't have a hard copy as I do. You may wish to read it.

John Donne. Meditation 17. [No man is an island... For whom the bell tolls, etc.] (http://www.luminarium.org/sevenlit/donne/meditation17.php)

Stg1swret
01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
" How to Survive The End of the World as We Know It" J.W. Rawles

bacpacker
01-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the link Grumpy.

izzyscout21
01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Ok, so decided to start a second book while I'm at it.

Tale of two guns by Tiger McKee

Grumpy Old Man
02-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I just got through viewing "Atlas Shrugged:Part 1". I've run out of fresh reading material, so I dug out my old paperback copy and am rereading, for the 8th or 9th time in the last 30+ years, "Atlas Shrugged". Who is John Galt?

Taz Baby
02-10-2012, 03:09 AM
just finished Barrage and wanting more.
before that was the shack by William P. Young. That is nothing like I expected. Great book

izzyscout21
02-10-2012, 04:23 AM
just finished Barrage and wanting more.

working on that for you, Taz

bacpacker
02-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Right now One Second After. Good read. Also have been in Rawles book as well. I also downloaded about 50 free titles for the kindle last week. Several of those are collage level chemistry, math, physics, & history.

Sniper-T
02-11-2012, 01:15 AM
In a week (ish) I'm heading back country for a week+. recommendations for some hard copy books I can pick up and take. ???

no kindle!
no internet!
no phones!
think 1900's
... with sleds! woohooo! lol

izzyscout21
02-11-2012, 01:29 PM
In a week (ish) I'm heading back country for a week+. recommendations for some hard copy books I can pick up and take. ???

no kindle!
no internet!
no phones!
think 1900's
... with sleds! woohooo! lol

The Far SIde: The Chickens are Restless

ladyhk13
02-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Right now One Second After. Good read. Also have been in Rawles book as well. I also downloaded about 50 free titles for the kindle last week. Several of those are collage level chemistry, math, physics, & history.

Reading that right now too! Have any of you read Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman? Someone gave it to me about 20 years ago and I passed it down to my son who cherishes it.

Katrina
02-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Besides the board, just got finished with Inheritance by Christopher Paoli third in the Eragon dragon riders series. Love my Sci-Fi, fantasy books.

ladyhk13
02-14-2012, 04:31 AM
Katrina I have to admit that I love sci fi/murder/mystery/horror too. I'm a Harry Potter fan.

Taz Baby
02-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Just finished reading the Chicken soup for the soul A Book of Miracles. By Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and LeAnn Theiman. Now I have nothing to read. So I am going to write some more on my book. That is until my next Mother Earth News magazine comes in.

ladyhk13
02-15-2012, 03:16 AM
Do any of you get the "offshoot" series that Mother Earth has out? Can't remember the exact name of it but it comes out 4 times a year and is awesome.

Gunfixr
02-15-2012, 04:20 AM
I've been thinking about studying a language.
Being of Scottish decent, I've always wanted to learn Gaelic, but a language you cannot practice will be lost. I have kinda wanted to learn Russian, but the same logic applies.
Lately, I've been thinking about Spanish. I actually have no desire to learn it for myself. However, it would seem that post-SHTF of almost any kind, you'd need it sooner or later, unless you're hidden way out there. Practice would be everywhere, since it's being forced down our throats with signs and packaging.
If you're going to barter post-SHTF, you're going to have to meet and interact with people. Realistically, if someone who doesn't speak very good English has what you need, does that change the fact that you need it? Spanish seems to be the most prevalent other language that I've noticed.
Not to mention, overheard Spanish about what someone plans to do to you, that they think you don't understand, is certainly to your advantage if you know it.

Taz Baby
02-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Do any of you get the "offshoot" series that Mother Earth has out? Can't remember the exact name of it but it comes out 4 times a year and is awesome.

Do you mean Grit? Just got the card for that in my Mother Earth mag. Going to start getting it soon. But you canbuy it at BAM.

ladyhk13
02-16-2012, 05:24 AM
Taz,
There are 2 from Mother that are spin offs:
the Wiser Living Series and the Food & Garden Series
Both are really good ones.

Onestep
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
Last few were:
The Foxfire Book.
Total Money Makeover
and 2012 Farmer's Almanac :)

Taz, been thinking of getting Grit magazine myself, looks like it would have a wealth of information for us.

bacpacker
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
The Mother Earth stuff and Grit can be found at Tractor supply as well. The have a decent selection of stuff for farm, some off grid, and sustainable food production.

Katrina
02-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Lady, you gotta get to Universal (Florida) if you can, Harry Potter area is really great. The "broom"ride totally wicked, awesome we had a great time. Just watch out for the 400 lb people on Amigas. LOL. One of the brokers I worked with would say to me "Wave yur magic wand and make it go away", well I got my magic wand. Expieriamus!!
Sorry to hijack thread.

Sniper-T
02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Just picked up Tom Clancy's latest...

ETA: Isn't it "expeliamus"?

Taz Baby
02-19-2012, 12:19 AM
The Mother Earth stuff and Grit can be found at Tractor supply as well. The have a decent selection of stuff for farm, some off grid, and sustainable food production.

was just there last week saw some good off grid and canning books. But not M E OR G. Will have to ask them. They were cheaper than B A M. By $3

bacpacker
02-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Maybe not at every location??? I go to 2 stores near here and the both carry them. Not sure, sorry.

rice paddy daddy
02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Military history is about all I read, and I usually have several volumes going simultaneously. Right now it's one first published in 1964: the American Heritage "World War One" by General SLA Marshall. And also working my way through Winston Churchill's 6 volume history of World War II (again), I'm presently on Volume IV.
And, since it involves a unit in which I also served: "A Foot Soldier For Patton, A memoir Of A Red Diamond Infantryman" by Michael Bilder. Unfortunately the WWII guys are dying at a rapid rate and I learned from our last newsletter that Mr Bilder has passed away. Rest in Peace, my Brother.

slowz1k
02-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Just finished "A More Elite Soldier" by Chuck Holton (Christian Based book by a former Ranger)
Before that "Patriots" and "Survivors" by Rawles. (Got them both for Christmas)
Before that Stephen Kings, "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" I'm not normally a King reader, but it was a thin one, and my wife talked me into reading it. Turned out to be pretty good. It's about a small girl lost in the woods. Of course there's the ever present "creature" stalking the main character, as in all of Kings works. The girls main foe, however turns out to be the wilderness, and her limited knowledge on survival. The book really got me more focused on my own daughters bushcraft skills.

Here's a teaser from Wiki:
The story is set in motion by a family hiking trip, during which Trisha's brother, Pete, and mother constantly squabble about the mother's divorce with her father, as well as other topics. Trisha falls back to avoid listening and is therefore unable to find her family again after she wanders off the trail to take a bathroom break. Trying to catch up by attempting a shortcut, she slips and falls down a steep embankment and ends up hopelessly lost, heading deeper into the heart of the forest. She is left with a bottle of water, two Twinkies, a boiled egg, a tuna sandwich, a bottle of Surge, a poncho, a Game Boy, and a Walkman. Now and then she listens to her Walkman to keep her mood up, either to learn of news of the search for her, or to listen to the baseball game featuring her favorite player, and "heartthrob," Tom Gordon

izzyscout21
03-05-2012, 05:39 PM
right now, I'm reading "The Resolution"

TEOTWAWKI13
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
My Kindle app currently has Survivors by Rawles and the Overton Window by Glenn Beck on it. As well, I finished Enemies: Foreign and Domestic and it's part dieux by Matthew Bracken.

Gunfixr
03-08-2012, 04:07 AM
You know, I was looking at stuff in the documents file the other day, and saw the pdf copy of "Unintended Consequences" that I had downloaded a few years ago.
I only been meaning to read that for about 10yrs.
I read it over the weekend.

ladyhk13
03-08-2012, 05:59 AM
was just there last week saw some good off grid and canning books. But not M E OR G. Will have to ask them. They were cheaper than B A M. By $3

M E and Grit are so much cheaper if you get a subscription. If you know you like them and buy them anyway you might as well just go that route or ya end up spending a lot more money going month to month. I have lots of canning and off grid books if you are interested in titles?

ladyhk13
03-08-2012, 06:03 AM
I finally finished One Second After and now have to figure out which one of my many books I want to start. I have a Natl Geo book on medicinal plants and books along those lines or i can go the route of Alas, Babylon or Atlas Shrugged (started that one long ago and never finished it). OR I can plan my garden and be a responsible adult.

Taz Baby
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Reading The Herbal Home Remedy book by Joyce A Wardwell I got that book when I ordered the pack of seeds for the herbal garden. Also Lady The Shack is a good book. I put it in another thread here somewhere. Can't remember where tho. it is a true story about a man who losted his Daughter on a camping trip and how he lost God. But God helps him get back in touch. Definitely does not portray God as you are use to. Portrays God as a woman that is always cooking in the kitchen. like a southern countrified woman, lol.I had to read the whole book as I could not put it down.

mollypup
03-08-2012, 05:23 PM
"Survivors" by James Rawles. It's o.k. but I have to skip a lot of it when he goes off on detail tangents about the military. I don't have a clue what he's talking about and don't care. I just want to glean some overall potential survival tips.

bacpacker
03-09-2012, 01:51 AM
I've been tryin to get finished with O.S.A., just can't find the time. I have also been reading a little on a gardening book, (gia's garden and planning using the almanac and planting by the moon and stars to get our garden underway.

I've also spent a little more time in Lyman's 49th reloading manual.

Otherwise, it seed catalogs to get everything ordered.

GunnerMax
03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Reading One Second After at the moment.

Katrina
03-26-2012, 04:07 AM
Sniper
Probably, was typing on son's ipad . It does it's own thing at times when it comes to spelling LOL

ladyhk13
03-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Reading One Second After at the moment.

Good book, just finished it. Decided to go with "Term Limits" next. Just started it a few days ago.

Grumpy Old Man
03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I just finished rereading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Don't know what to read next, but I'm sure I'll find something. Game of Thrones starts Sunday! Oops, I've already read all the books in that Series. *Scratches head and looks bemused*

Southern Yankee
03-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Fm 21-76

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Sniper
Probably, was typing on son's ipad . It does it's own thing at times when it comes to spelling LOL

yeah... ok... I`m a geek! :(

lol

I was a little under the weather on the weekend, so I curled up in front of the fireplace with `Death Trance`by Graham Masterton. totally non prepping related, unless you count the Leyaks(Zombies); but a good read!

Taz Baby
03-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Just downloaded (free) several books and other info I need. I have a long list to go thru and will be doing more tonight. If anyone see's anything on this list that they wan,t let me know and I will send it to you. Or tell me what you are looking for and I will try and get it.
Survive Martial Law PDF
Lights Out
One Second After
Reloading Bench PDF
Wilderness Navigation Handbook
Handbook of Knots & Splices
How To Become A Lethal Weapon In 2 Weeks
Surviving The Wild And The City
Protecting Yourself from Electro-Magnetic Pulse
A Handbook On Shortwave Radio And LEO Satellite Communication

Sniper-T
03-28-2012, 12:05 AM
how about posting a link up for where you got those from Taz??

a couple titles in there I would like to peruse...

mitunnelrat
03-28-2012, 12:23 AM
I recently finished "The Tiger's Way", "The Raid", and I'm starting in on "Flags of Our Fathers" now. Also "The Tiger's Way" at a slower pace for taking notes.

mollypup
03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
I've recently started reading, "Lucifer's Hammer" and I really like the style of writing - so polished and professional! It's getting very interesting because some people are just now realizing that the Hamner-Brown comet could, maybe hit the earth.

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Just downloaded (free) several books and other info I need. I have a long list to go thru and will be doing more tonight. If anyone see's anything on this list that they wan,t let me know and I will send it to you. Or tell me what you are looking for and I will try and get it.
Survive Martial Law PDF
Lights Out
One Second After
Reloading Bench PDF
Wilderness Navigation Handbook
Handbook of Knots & Splices
How To Become A Lethal Weapon In 2 Weeks
Surviving The Wild And The City
Protecting Yourself from Electro-Magnetic Pulse
A Handbook On Shortwave Radio And LEO Satellite Communication

ROTFLMAO...Ya always know when Taz is back in civilization!

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
ROTFLMAO...Ya always know when Taz is back in civilization!

Well for those of you that know me>>>>> You know what it means when I say TAZ is back. For those of you who just met me, you were fore warned, I told you I was going to bombard you with info, NOW YOU KNOW:D

I have just begun. I have 3 more weeks;)

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I can't give you the whole link to where I got them as they are from another survival site and you have to be a member to see the whole page. But I have permission from the person to give you the link to each download and that I can do. What I will do is start another thread with all the downloads I am doing and everyone can just copy what they want and add to it if you have one. That way everybody wins.

Taz Baby
04-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I am reading these books. I am particle to them because My Brother wrote them.

http://soverindi.com/soverindi/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=90

http://soverindi.com/soverindi/images/stories/placecover2.jpg

What Archimedes said of the mechanical powers may be applied to reason and liberty: "Had we," he said,” a place to stand upon, we might raise the world." Thomas Paine

This book is the epic story of a quest for The Place to Stand in order to move the world using the lever of individual freedom. This may well be Man's last struggle for real freedom. The window of opportunity is closing fast. The future of mankind may hang in the balance.

Clinton Randolph's high IQ helped him rise from nowhere to become the wealthiest individual in the world. As idealistic as he was intelligent and rich, he refused to buy favors from corrupt politicians, but he succeeded in spite of government opposition. A former insider warns him that the Power Elite behind the government has targeted him for destruction. They consider him a dangerous example to others because of his fierce independence, his libertarian philosophy, and his astronomical success, achieved against all odds by simply providing the best product for the best price.

His enemies have the world's governments, with their courts and arsenals, to use against him. He has his wealth, his intellect, and his indomitable spirit, yearning for the freedom that is the birthright of every human: the freedom to control his own life and his own destiny - the freedom to be truly human. If he fights by their rules on their playing field, he is doomed. He must find another way. If he, with all his resources, is defenseless, can there be any hope for the rest of mankind? What can he do? Read The Place to Stand and find out.

The Secret American Revolution; The Sheladar Affair

A special Special Forces man, retired early because he hated doing things he felt ashamed of, pairs up with a foolishly patriotic NSA whistle blower targeted for assassination by the government supposed to protect her. Both desire to live according to their own plan, doing what they see in their best interest, as opposed to living for the benefit of others. Both are dismayed at the rapid demise of the American Dream and the American way of life; the erosion of America's once famous freedom turning the land of the free into a police state; the relentless decline of the American economy at the hands of a corrupt puppet government, and the American people's apparently complete lack of concern. They see nothing planned or even suggested to halt the rush to oblivion, much less to move things back in the right direction. Even though they ultimately arrive at a solution far easier than they expected, they still consider it essentially impossible, until –.

The duo becomes a trio with the addition of an unlikely, but like-minded newcomer. Things begin to look slightly less impossible, although still painfully difficult and dangerous. Even though the risk of doing what needs to be done is monumental, they finally decide that taking that risk is preferable to the inevitable disaster if they do nothing. As huge as they see their undertaking, it grows to be much, much greater than they dreamed. Success will require a miraculous strategy. They need a lot of help and a lot of armament, but the moment they start to recruit people or arms, big brother, who, today, hears all and sees all, will find out, and it will be all over. What are they to do? How are they to do it?

Read it and see. Timely, in light of the current situation and the global unrest. Ideas for goals/demands to prevent intentionally leaving the frying pan for the fire, which seems to be a predominant characteristic of humans when things get rough. If you don't know why things are the way they are, a viable solution is unlikely. It's like writing an essay answer for a test, without knowing the question--quite likely to be the wrong answer.

http://soverindi.com/soverindi/images/stories/amsr_cover.jpg

“Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable, a most sacred right--a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world." ----- Abraham Lincoln

An ambitious young man whose "mother" found him, as a newborn, in a pile of trash; an environmental activist and her parents; a political writer; an ex-CIA deep-cover operative; a professor of economics and one of psychology; a constitutional scholar; a librarian; and two movie stars share a common fear; a common enemy; a common desperation; a common goal; and common plan to achieve the uncommon. Their rights are disappearing into nothingness; their privacy is a thing of the past; their every move is observed and recorded; and hundreds of thousands of human lives are callously extinguished and millions more destroyed, in their name. Their own money is being used against them. They are even forced to pay for their own oppression. The deteriorating situation in America hasn't a prayer of improving, because the majority of the people are unaware, don't care, or are too lethargic to act. Unwilling to have their lives at the mercy of such people, they seek a viable solution. Realizing that working within the system is futile, they are set out to rally as many like-minded people as they can and leave the system. Naturally, the establishment has other ideas. The War Between the States ended the last attempt to leave the Union. If they are to succeed, the price of stopping them must be so high the federal government is unwilling or unable to pay it. An idea whose time has come.

Grumpy Old Man
06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Just finished reading "The Hunger Games" and "The Last Werewolf". And I just downloaded the latest version of the LDS Preparedness manual.

tompnoid
06-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Nicolo machiaveli the essential writings
thomas paine the rights of man
the peter principal

Sniper-T
06-25-2012, 06:44 PM
The Legend of Pan Phillips

Sandhill Book Marketing Ltd. -- Legend of Pan Phillips (http://www.sandhillbooks.com/cgi-bin/sandhillbooks/97.html)

bacpacker
06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Not much other than a few magazine articles. A couple of really good ones in a new magazine I picked up, "The New Pioneer". They have a article on Solar and another one on drip irrigation. Those two have me looking more closely at both subjects.

Taz Baby
06-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Not much other than a few magazine articles. A couple of really good ones in a new magazine I picked up, "The New Pioneer". They have a article on Solar and another one on drip irrigation. Those two have me looking more closely at both subjects.

Just picked that mag. Up a few days go. Great mag. But to bad about it not being a continuious one. Can,t get a subcription for it.

ladyhk13
06-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Just picked that mag. Up a few days go. Great mag. But to bad about it not being a continuious one. Can,t get a subcription for it.

We get it all the time though. Ya just have to go to the store and get it. Kind of like the new Mother Earth series that only come out 4 times a year. I actually like them better than the origional ME since the regular one is kind of getting to be reruns over and over again.

- - - Updated - - -

Alas, Babylan. Weird since I grew up in Central Fl and he talks about so many places that I recognize!!!

bacpacker
06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
Alas Babalon is a very good read. It's been so many years since I read that i need to get it again.

Stg1swret
07-04-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm currently reading the Fereralist and Anti-Fereralist papers. Gives you a whole new perspective on our country and how we became what we are.

carolinasurvivalist
07-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Finished lights out, 77 days in september, and patriots recently. Just started enemies foreign and domestic.

realist
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
"Dark Grid" and "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse". "The New Pioneer" magazine is really well put together. I highly recommend it, I just wish it was a monthly.

DarkLight
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
"Dark Grid" and "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse". "The New Pioneer" magazine is really well put together. I highly recommend it, I just wish it was a monthly.

Realist-lemme know what you think of "Dark Grid" (shameless plug) it's my first novel. Learned a lot about the craft and I'm a little over 2/3 through book 2 now.

Echo2
07-07-2012, 01:32 AM
I recommend "The Long Walk" by S. King.

LUNCHBOX
07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Medal of Honor by Allen Mikaelian. Covers CMH individuals from the Cival War to present time.

Grumpy Old Man
07-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Just finished re-reading Unintended Consequences by John Ross.

ladyhk13
07-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Getting ready to start "The Harbinger" by Jonathan Cahn

Brownwater Riverrat 13
07-11-2012, 04:21 AM
im actually reading Seal Team Six right now

I have to ask Izzy, which rendition are you reading? There have been many written, some true, some not, some good, some not. One of the better ones is "First Seal" About Roy Henry Bohem. Even Richard Marcinko's first 2 books were in line for the most part. Rouge Warrior and Red Cell, were factual for the most part. Just as long as you can handle the ego and testosterone. Red Cell's reputation was by far outstanding in my opinion having been "taken" by Red forces. I can assure you that today Red Cell would have a hay day with our security forces and military installations. Anyway I hope it's worth the read. I'm currently reading "Medusa" by Clive Cussler. I've pretty much read all of his.

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Sniper-T
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Just started one called "The Lazy Gardener"

slowz1k
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
"God Willing: My Wild Ride with the New Iraqi Army" by Capt. Eric Navarro USMCR

I'm about halfway through, and so far, it's been a great read. Really points out the cultural differences between Americans (or anyone for that matter) and the Muslims in that part of the world.

Amazon Discription:
Ten U.S. Marines are assigned to live, train, and go into battle with more than five hundred raw and undisciplined Iraqi soldiers. A member of this Adviser Support Team, Capt. Eric Navarro, recounts their tour in vivid and brutally honest detail. Their deployment comes at a particularly important time in the war. The Battle of Fallujah is raging, and President Bush has proclaimed training the Iraqi forces is the key to winning the war. Once they stand up, we can stand down, or so the theory goes. Navarro’s team, nicknamed The Drifters, faces countless roadblocks—no interpreters initially, limited supplies, little contact with other U.S. forces, and a vast cultural gulf with the Iraqis. One hackneyed and fatalistic Arabic phrase seems to sum up the mission, “Insha Allah,” which translates as “God willing” or “if God wills it.”

Echo2
07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Just started "The Wind Through the Keyhole".....S.King

Grumpy Old Man
07-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Starting on The Creature from Jekyll Island by G. Edward Griffin.

bacpacker
07-12-2012, 02:24 AM
That book will piss you off Grumpy. At least it did me when I read it. A very good read IMO.

Grumpy Old Man
07-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah BP. It seems to expand on another book I have, "None Dare Call It Conspiracy".

bacpacker
07-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Another good read.

Grumpy Old Man
07-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Strange that it was written 30 years ago and is so prophetic, isn't it?

bacpacker
07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Just like it was written for today. 1984 struck me like that first time i read it.

2die4
07-14-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm ready Beyond Exile by Bourne, J.L. Awesome Zombie Apocalypse read with out being too ridiculous. Story runs smooth it almost seems like it could happen.

Sniper-T
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
I haven't read it yet, but just came across it and thought it looked interesting...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=aurora+shooter&view=detail&id=9F453D9040E5CD2444EF88165F79BC74689F7300&first=121&FORM=IDFRIR

izzyscout21
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Refreshing myself in the Ranger Handbook.

Gearhead
07-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Reading "A Separate Peace", by John Knowles, for an English 2 project.

Sent from my BRODEVICE using MobileBro2

realist
07-26-2012, 11:25 PM
I just finished "The Mission, The Men and Me" good read.

bacpacker
07-26-2012, 11:45 PM
Just got a new one for the Kindle called "Aftermath". I hope to start it this weekend.

2die4
08-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Lights out by David Crawford. A SHTF scenario about an EMP blast that knocks out the country. Definitely a page turner.

Kodiak
08-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Started reading Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian, its the book that the movie with Russel Crowe was based off of. So far its a very difficult read as the author writes everything exactly in the old english talk of the day so i dont understand half of what they are saying. Ill give it a few more chapters then im moving on to something else.

Taz Baby
08-07-2012, 03:56 PM
started reading the Vampire Academy Novel series by Richelle Meads. 5 books total, and after 3 days I,m on the 4th one. Can,t seem to put them down. But what else is there to do when it is raining? Sniper don,t answer that, ;)

Grumpy Old Man
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm reading Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin of Game of Thrones fame. It's a Vampire novel set in 1856 on a Mississippi River Steamboat. pretty good!

izzyscout21
04-30-2013, 02:58 PM
I just finished "Survivors" by J.W. Rawles and am starting "Founders"

Echo2
04-30-2013, 05:03 PM
The "Tomorrow When the War Began" series.

Stormfeather
04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Just started re-reading Unintended Consequences, cant get enough of this book!

Grumpy Old Man
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM
I just finished "Unbroken", the story of Olympic runner Louie Zamperini, a WWII Bombardier in a B-24 who survived 2 years in a Japanese POW camp. An amazing story! And his PTSD was extreme, but he beat it with the help of a young evangelist doing his first tent meeting in California, Billy Graham. A great read, from the author of Seabiscuit.

bacpacker
05-01-2013, 01:12 AM
The wife finished that book a little while back Grumpy. Not normally her style of book, but she couldn't put it down.

Last full read I had was "The Harbinger". It was a good read, I highly recommend it.

Stormfeather
05-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Finished lights out, 77 days in september, and patriots recently. Just started enemies foreign and domestic.

Once you finish Enemies Foreign and Domestic, you will have to move to the next novel, The Reconquista, excellent reading!

Taz Baby
05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
The Shack Revisited. It is after The Shack. They are a different kind of spiritual book.

Taz Baby
05-06-2013, 06:10 PM
I have just started reading this book. I just love it. I bought it at BAM but it is cheaper here. (I couldn't wait for it to be shipped)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514rJpU03FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V5AXOA/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B007V5AXOA&linkCode=as2&tag=herbalencount-20

bacpacker
05-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I just got this off Amazon. Hope to start reading it later this week.

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-Winter-Gardening-Organic-Vegetables/dp/1479129887/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367876205&sr=8-1&keywords=fall+and+winter+gardening

Sniper-T
05-07-2013, 02:13 AM
kickin back OLD school... reading some John Saul from the early 80's. he be the creep master!

prepguide
05-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Rapid Fire by Max Velocity

izzyscout21
05-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Rapid Fire by Max Velocity

how is it? I looked at reading it, but the write up sounded corny.

prepguide
05-07-2013, 04:15 PM
Really just getting into now will be happy to post a short review if you would like sir once I am done

4suchatimeasthis
05-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Text books, I went back to school. I wish I could say I was reading the new Carl Hiaasen right now.

Sniper-T
05-07-2013, 10:22 PM
what grade you in 4such?

4suchatimeasthis
05-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Sniper, this will be the 4th college I have attended. Two Bible schools, a technical college, and now a state university. Somehow graduating from a Bible school isn't helping me find a career. Imagine that.

And I still don't know what I want to be, if I grow up. However, I must earn a paycheck in the mean time, so I will be completing my Administrative Assistant program this December. That's if my nose sticks to the grindstone. All those years my parents paid for private schools with dress codes (skirts and dresses in Northern Wisconsin winters, tis too cruel), and walking in heels will finally come in handy. Yippee.

Domeguy
05-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Due to my neck problems, for the last 20 years I have had to lay on the bed and hold the book straight arm length above me, and my arms sure did get tired. Now I am mostly listening to the audio books. For me, they are the greatest thing. I also sometimes read books on the kindle or iPad. So for me it's only ebooks.
I was never taught any American history in early school. We lived in England for 4 yrs, so I learned British history. So to make a short story long, I am trying to learn as much as I can about WW2. So the last few ebooks have been
The Coming of the Third Reich Richard Evans
The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. William Shirer
All But My Life. Gerda Klein
Farewell to Manzanar. Jeanne Houston
Mein Kamph. Adolf Hitler
I wrote the explanation because I didn't want you to think I was a illiterate Nazi lover.

Grumpy Old Man
05-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Been rereading The Art of War and The Five Rings. Also my 1971 Rangers Handbook.

mitunnelrat
05-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Hey, thanks for reminding me! I borrowed the Book of 5 Rings from the library. Its overdue.

izzyscout21
05-19-2013, 01:17 AM
Also my 1971 Rangers Handbook.

Grumps, I think it's about time for a new Ranger Handbook.;)

Grumpy Old Man
05-19-2013, 02:46 AM
LOL! I'm a Luddite!

Willie51
05-20-2013, 02:52 AM
My last read was Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck.

bacpacker
06-11-2013, 02:03 AM
I just got started on "Creating a Forest Garden, Working with Nature to grow Edible Crops" by Martin Crawford.

I the basis of the book is along these lines. Working to create a long term area to create a multi layered food production system. The plantings are chosen to work in unison with each other, Canopy type trees, with an under story of shrubs, and ground cover. Using perinneals and some annuals. Some plants are grown strictly to hold down weeds, other to increase soil nutrition. An example would be a grove of three or four pecan trees, with blue berries planted on the borders of the trees, several annual plants such as cabbage or such, and then a good ground cover (I haven't gotten very far yet).

I had this book recommended by a friend from the old site. He has been working on this system going on two years now and apparently is making some progress already. He says he will have somewhat of a harvest later this year. His thinking is to get food production coming in with very little work like you do with a typical garden, freeing up time for other important task in a SHTF situation. BTW, he has moved to his BOL already. I'm hoping to learn a lot and make use of this book as time goes on.

bacpacker
06-13-2013, 01:59 AM
I just grabbed this PDF on Black Smithing from another site. I just scanned thru it, but it appears to be a pretty good book for someone just starting out. I'll get into it and do a report.

http://www.soilandhealth.org/03sov/0302hsted/030225.blacksmithing.pdf

Taz Baby
06-13-2013, 02:04 AM
Thanks bp my DH is wanting to learn blacksmithing and I have been trying to find a place where he can learn that trade. I can't even find a blacksmith shop where they still do that like the old school.

Domeguy
06-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Currently I am listening to the "Autobiography of Nikola Tesla", and "Wizard, the Life and Times of Nikola Tesla". And as far as actually reading a book, "One Second After" by William Forstchen. But I am still struggling with "Green Egg and Ham", ...esp. what is the main characters motivation, and as to why he won't eat them here nor there.

bacpacker
06-23-2013, 12:04 AM
I bet the Tesla books are interesting reads.

I'm still going thru the Forest Gardening book in bits and pieces. There is a ton of detail and charts in it to refer back to in future dates. I'm starting to work on a few notes as i go (and highlighting).

I just got a new book yesterday i have just started on as well. "Blacksmithing, Basics for the Homestead". After two chapters it appears that it is going to be a good reference book as well.

2die4
07-06-2013, 03:59 AM
I'm reading "Zombies of All Hallows Evil" by William Bebb. 2nd book of his series. Got my eye on "Under the Dome" by Stephen King next.

Stg1swret
07-13-2013, 12:00 PM
I m currently reading The Federalist Papers, Anti-Federalist Papers, U.S. Constitution, and Declaration of Independence. This is in conjunction to tutoring a young lady who wants to be a lawyer. It is to say the least an interesting position to be in. Her law professor is a bit put off, as she is a bit more knowledgeable about some aspects of the delineation of powers as stated in the Constitution, as has put him in his place more then once in class. She is loving it , as he has to concede points to her in class on a regular basis.