PDA

View Full Version : What Jobs Will Survive SHTF?

Stormfeather
10-30-2013, 09:35 PM
So was reading in another forum, and the question was posed, what jobs will survive and be applicable in a SHTF situation?
After reading thru, I came up with a few, what about you guys? Any ideas? So in no particular order, these are the ones I think will survive SHTF. . .

-Sheriff
-Private Security
-Farmer
-Mechanic
-Prostitute
-Doctor/Nurse/medical
-Reloader (ammo)
-Brewer/alcohol manufacturer/moonshiner

What do you guys think? Any other jobs that dont fall into the categories listed above that will be applicable during the big SHTF?

helomech
10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
I am a mechanic, farmer, reloader, and have some security knowledge so I should be good.

izzyscout21
10-30-2013, 10:25 PM
So was reading in another forum, and the question was posed, what jobs will survive and be applicable in a SHTF situation?
After reading thru, I came up with a few, what about you guys? Any ideas? So in no particular order, these are the ones I think will survive SHTF. . .

-Sheriff
-Private Security
-Farmer
-Mechanic
-Prostitute
-Doctor/Nurse/medical
-Reloader (ammo)
-Brewer/alcohol manufacturer/moonshiner

What do you guys think? Any other jobs that dont fall into the categories listed above that will be applicable during the big SHTF?

hooker.

just sayin.

i think its a profession that would see a resurgence in those folks less prepared than we are.

Dropy
10-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Famer
Mechanic
Welder
Security
Cook/food preparation/canning/smoking etc..
MEdical
Seamstress ( make new clothes? fix old? )
Farrier (sp)
Rancher. animal husbandry?
any kind of building skills IE carpenter, electrician, plumber.
Electrical engineer depending on scenario.
Radio operator/HAM?
Teacher!!
chemist
Botanist. horticulturalist?
Hobby gardener.
Leatherworker.
log home builder
truck driver

Anyone willing to listen, learn and do the job given to them by whatever group they hook up with.

- - - Updated - - -

Gunsmith/reloader....

Sniper-T
10-30-2013, 11:36 PM
Think back to the 1800's Basically that is what the survivors will resort to. For the most part, most of the jobs in existance today will still be after SHTF. The biggest change will be the concentrations of people doing them.

There will not be single farmers cropping thousands of acres, but 1000's of farmers cropping few acres each. Thousands of lawyers will die off, but some will survive same for judges. Instead of having a lawyer on every corner, an issue may wait a month to resolve until a travelling lawyer comes to town.

LEO's by their various names and departments will become less to match the number of people. same as military. ASSUMING the event is global and not locallized to North America, millions of soldiers would not be necessary. and if it was local, then they would not be enough.

There will however, be a lot of jobs that will cease to exist, leaving any survivors of that ilk Shit out of luck unless they have other skills to fall back on. Picture ANYONE you know who rides a desk all day, for any reason... sure some will continue to be necessary, but very few especially if the event is MAJOR.

With the change of focus from few to many, this too will result in a another catastrophic loss of life. people wanting from others, and not being able to physically, emotionally and mentally be able to do it. I would bet cold hard silver that my 80 year old father in law would thrive, yet my 35 yo buddy who is an IT guru wouldn't last 3 days on a farm, or shop, or anything else that requires common sense, dexterity, and a little conditioning.

Eventually I would expect to see the rise of and the reign of the land owners again, a group of people under a strong leader who can provide for and defend the group and the land.

The biggest upsurgence for a job will be in the criminal element, these badboys will be thieves/con men/gunslingers/mercenaries. They will run either solo or in small groups, or God help us all, a large well organized military-ish, yet amoral death squad. Most people can defend against a small group, but if several hundred/thousand well trained merc's decide to take you and yours, there will not be much anyone could do beside taking as many of them with you.

IMO

Possom
10-31-2013, 01:24 AM
Famer
Mechanic
Welder
Security
Cook/food preparation/canning/smoking etc..
MEdical
Seamstress ( make new clothes? fix old? )
Farrier (sp)
Rancher. animal husbandry?
any kind of building skills IE carpenter, electrician, plumber.
Electrical engineer depending on scenario.
Radio operator/HAM?
Teacher!!
chemist
Botanist. horticulturalist?
Hobby gardener.
Leatherworker.
log home builder
truck driver

Anyone willing to listen, learn and do the job given to them by whatever group they hook up with.

- - - Updated - - -

Gunsmith/reloader....

If it a serious global SHTF long term event people will learn to do all these things themselves. The days of hiring people to do this stuff for you will be over. You will learn to do it yourself. It won't necessarily be what jobs survive. It will be learning to do these jobs yourself in order to survive.

Fidel MD
10-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Some things people cant do themselves, or easily learn to do themselves.....Try taking out your own appendix, for example.

Possom
10-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Agreed. There will always be a need for a saw bones around as well as other jobs. I was just saying that people will have to learn to do a lot of their own work to get by.

ak474u
10-31-2013, 04:19 AM
If it a serious global SHTF long term event people will learn to do all these things themselves. The days of hiring people to do this stuff for you will be over. You will learn to do it yourself. It won't necessarily be what jobs survive. It will be learning to do these jobs yourself in order to survive.

I disagree somewhat. First, there are only 24 hours in a day, this means food, shelter, water and the things that you've gotta have to make that happen. Obviously, anybody can learn how to do almost anything, but if winter is coming, and your herd needs a barn, but crops have to be harvested, and wood needs to be cut for heat, you'd probably need the services of a tradesman of some sort to take up the slack. This is where a diverse skill set in your group or tight knit community comes in handy. I have a friend that is a bona fide genius petroleum chemist for a big company, he can't change a tire, and he's got a brown thumb, he'd never survive as a farmer, but he could make fertilizer for the farmers, or he could make ethanol, moonshine, explosives, glue, lubricants etc. Without a guy like him, or someone with a basic working knowledge of his skill set, eventually, fuel would be non-existent. Lots of people will learn a little about a lot, the problem is, being a jack of all trades, master of none while an advantage for survival and a way to "get by" trading general labor for food, is certainly not a way to thrive. For me, it's get in where ya fit in, and trade my services for others or needed supplies. That certainly doesn't mean I won't have a garden, but I can't grow fabric, and I can't grow metal or tires.

2die4
10-31-2013, 03:43 PM
I think Pawn Brokers would thrive. With most people not even knowing what bartering means, they will still seek out an establishment/middleman to "purchase" their goods.

Stormfeather
10-31-2013, 04:36 PM
I think Pawn Brokers would thrive. With most people not even knowing what bartering means, they will still seek out an establishment/middleman to "purchase" their goods.

I like this idea, almost a mad max bartertown mindset. Its actually not a bad idea if you think of it, setting up a pawnbroker station to be the middleman to set up transactions, and taking a small percentage.

2die4
10-31-2013, 06:30 PM
I like this idea, almost a mad max bartertown mindset. Its actually not a bad idea if you think of it, setting up a pawnbroker station to be the middleman to set up transactions, and taking a small percentage.

The only draw back would be the security force needed. A place like this would be a primo target.

Sniper-T
10-31-2013, 09:58 PM
yep an you would need an amazing stockpile, or all you'll be doing is selling off what you have until you're empty of everything but a bag of gold and silver

2die4
11-01-2013, 12:14 AM
To just start up your everyday pawn shop you need at least $50,000 worth of goods. Some of us are probably half way there with our preps.

Sniper-T
11-01-2013, 12:33 AM
true that.. but remember... you're trading away your preps for something that people have but cannot use.... can you use them?? when family after family come up looking to trade silver for food, when do you say no! Your children will starve because I dont need more silver.

Stormfeather
11-01-2013, 01:10 AM
But it doesnt necessarily have to be gold or silver that you are trading for. Imagine trading a pint of moonshine for deep cycle batteries, 22 ammo for livestock, things of that nature. It doesnt have to be your preps that you are trading off. And with all business's, its a supply/demand situation, so it always works in your favor. Added to that, then you can also have security people who get paid as well, with the addition of security, people will feel more comfortable coming and bartering with you. Thats how I look at the pawnbroker situation, however, at some point, I would start to consider taking PM's as a form of payment as it gets more settled and restructuring has started to take place.

Sniper-T
11-01-2013, 01:17 AM
I understand what you are saying... and what you are geting at... but picture the sheeple... "I have an ipod", I have a money, "I have dvd's" If they survive, they aren't going to have 'extras' of anything useful IMO. they're going to try to play on emotions, showing starving kids and offering the latest playstation games and teddy bears that they grabbed rather than hand tools and toilet paper.
again... IMO

Gunfixr
11-01-2013, 01:40 AM
You could prolly get a good job at FEMA............................

Jus' sayin'................

Stormfeather
11-01-2013, 01:50 AM
I understand what you are saying... and what you are geting at... but picture the sheeple... "I have an ipod", I have a money, "I have dvd's" If they survive, they aren't going to have 'extras' of anything useful IMO. they're going to try to play on emotions, showing starving kids and offering the latest playstation games and teddy bears that they grabbed rather than hand tools and toilet paper.
again... IMO

I understand that, and Im ok with them showing off their kids and offering playstations, but if I was to do such a profession, I would have a "wants/needs" board or sign posted, and a "dont bother me with this type of junk" sign posted as well. If I cant use it, or if it does me no good trade/barter wise, its of no use.(unless its a 1964 Stingray Corvette in mint condition. . . then maybe I may offer some heirloom seeds or something like that) A person doing this has to learn to be fair and firm at the same time I think. Im sure regular pawnbrokers get sob stories everyday and yet they still are in business.

Sniper-T
11-01-2013, 01:59 AM
I understand that, and Im ok with them showing off their kids and offering playstations, but if I was to do such a profession, I would have a "wants/needs" board or sign posted, and a "dont bother me with this type of junk" sign posted as well. If I cant use it, or if it does me no good trade/barter wise, its of no use.(unless its a 1964 Stingray Corvette in mint condition. . . then maybe I may offer some heirloom seeds or something like that) A person doing this has to learn to be fair and firm at the same time I think. Im sure regular pawnbrokers get sob stories everyday and yet they still are in business.

OK... with this post... you have proven yourself to be a complete an utter udder. Everyone knows that nothing is better than a '63 Split Window Corvette. The 64's were a mere knockoff following the gov't newly implemented safety regs. Geez! :rolleyes:

2die4
11-01-2013, 03:41 AM
If t they're going to try to play on emotions, showing starving kids and offering the latest playstation games and teddy bears that they grabbed rather than hand tools and toilet paper.
again... IMO

I ran a pawnshop before my current gig now and I saw it all the time. One guy came in with some crap and I told him I'd loan him $30 bucks on it. He said he needed $80 because his kid needed meds. I asked him what kind of TV he had and he replied a 36 inch flat screen. I told him to bring that it I'd give him $200, he then told me no he couldn't do that , he likes his tv. Busted.

helomech
11-01-2013, 01:07 PM
I ran a pawnshop before my current gig now and I saw it all the time. One guy came in with some crap and I told him I'd loan him $30 bucks on it. He said he needed $80 because his kid needed meds. I asked him what kind of TV he had and he replied a 36 inch flat screen. I told him to bring that it I'd give him $200, he then told me no he couldn't do that , he likes his tv. Busted.

Some people just suck. A guy I knew pawned all his kids stuff because he was addicted to pain meds. Trash.

2die4
11-01-2013, 04:30 PM
How about people with means of transportation. . Porters, Coyotes, people movers.. I'm sure people would pay handsomely to travel long distances if they didn't have to walk.

izzyscout21
11-01-2013, 06:40 PM
How about people with means of transportation. . Porters, Coyotes, people movers.. I'm sure people would pay handsomely to travel long distances if they didn't have to walk.

Or just moving discreetly...

Stormfeather
11-01-2013, 06:52 PM
OK... with this post... you have proven yourself to be a complete an utter udder. Everyone knows that nothing is better than a '63 Split Window Corvette. The 64's were a mere knockoff following the gov't newly implemented safety regs. Geez! :rolleyes:

Ok, while I do like the 63, I am actually a fan of the 64 over the 63. It has nothing to do with the .gov regs, its the aesthetics to me. Just the same as the 64 barracuda my dad owns that was his first new car! I just like the styling. theres something about a curved rear window that I love! And that is the utters udder! :)

Stormfeather
11-01-2013, 06:59 PM

The downside to this I "think" would be the reliability. . . I agree people will want to move safely between locations, and a coyote would be great for this, however, I see plenty of people getting into this for the wrong reasons. Say you need to move a group from Point A to Point B. . .you get them to halfway point, pull off, rob them, kill them all, dump them in a ditch, and move on to point B. spend the ill gotten gains, go back to Point A, and start over again. . .The upside, nobody can say you didnt transport them sucessfully, because nobody will be alive to argue the point. Assuming communications are down, theres no real way of verifying that the folks made it to their destination, so you can at that point, you become the wolf feeding off of the sheep herd with impunity.

ElevenBravo
11-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Butcher, Baker and Candle Stick Maker...

Seriously..
EB

2die4
11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
The downside to this I "think" would be the reliability. . . I agree people will want to move safely between locations, and a coyote would be great for this, however, I see plenty of people getting into this for the wrong reasons. Say you need to move a group from Point A to Point B. . .you get them to halfway point, pull off, rob them, kill them all, dump them in a ditch, and move on to point B. spend the ill gotten gains, go back to Point A, and start over again. . .The upside, nobody can say you didnt transport them sucessfully, because nobody will be alive to argue the point. Assuming communications are down, theres no real way of verifying that the folks made it to their destination, so you can at that point, you become the wolf feeding off of the sheep herd with impunity.

Way to scare off potential customers. Geez.

Stormfeather
11-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Way to scare off potential customers. Geez.

LOL, was just looking at it as a devils advocate is all!

Sniper-T
11-01-2013, 10:32 PM
get them to write a glowing recommendation letter first... then kill them?

lol

MegaCPC
11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Some things people cant do themselves, or easily learn to do themselves.....Try taking out your own appendix, for example.

*AHEM*

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/megacpc/appendectomy1_zpsb941cb68.jpg (http://s210.photobucket.com/user/megacpc/media/appendectomy1_zpsb941cb68.jpg.html)

:eek:

To answer the OP, I'm thinking in multiple stages (if .gov infrastructure never returns, full collapse.)

Immediately after the SHTF event:

Handymen/MacGyver types - repair of essential equipment, vehicles, plumbing, etc.
Electricians - if EMP event, retrofitting damaged electronics for lighting, possible comms, alarm system, etc.
Doctors/Nurses - treating the wounded if the event was violent, tending to the sick, developing medicine.
Military - a militia would likely be formed as a security force to protect town/city/neighborhood/single residence.

As things cool off:

Hunters/Farmers - as food stocks are used, replenishing them with fresh grown produce and hunted meat will be essential. Farms can also employ children to help gather crops and tend to animals. Everybody capable must be functioning, so the farm can act as a kind of day care for those children whose parents are working elsewhere.

Chefs/Cooks - are the difference between just surviving or actually enjoying a meal. Good food is a morale booster.

Government/Politicians: As much as it pains me to say it, it's necessary. Even in very small groups of people, some government and organization is required. A very limited, for the people, by the people government would likely be formed to give the people an organized method of making decisions as a whole. The representatives would hold more 'essential' jobs when not doing the tasks of the office they hold.

The rebuilding stage:

Local economy - bartering shops,
Teachers/Historians - As the days pass, and stability starts to return, essential education must continue.
Writers/Artists/Musicians - As 'society' makes its comeback, people might have more time to focus on hobbies. Music is a morale booster.

Definitely unorganized, and missing a lot, but it's a start to some ideas. Based on the scale of neighborhood to a small town

NWPilgrim
11-03-2013, 03:40 AM
You still need to trade, you can't do everything yourself. I agree though that it will require people learning to a LOT more things on their own.

My grandparents had a working ranch with 11 kids. They had to do a lot themselves. Especially fixing ranch equipment and structures. But they still shopped for fabric and clothes, still bought a Model A, still bought occasional groceries at the market. And they traded often with their neighbors: goods, use of equipment and labor.

I think the key is that we need to be producers: make something, repair things and people, grow foods and herbs and fiber and wood. Also have to accept that without modern medical care life expectancy may drop to 45-50 yrs old. Very easy to die from accidental injuries doing labor work, or from a multitude of illnesses when our external immune system (pharmacy) is not adequately stocked.