PDA

View Full Version : The Grey Man

bacpacker
11-01-2013, 12:56 AM
I know there is lots of discussion on various forums on using the Grey man approach during times of strife. I found this site which has a good discussion on lots of different things that would give you away either as a easy target or possible targets for certain things.

http://www.examiner.com/article/the-grey-man-approach-to-personal-protection

Here is a couple of excerts.

Richard Masoner
Donald AlleyDetroit Martial Arts Examiner

Subscribe
Follow:

Advertisement
September 6, 2012

I was driving home from work last week, and the car in front of me stood out. It was a nondescript Subaru Outback, but the plethora of stickers and information on it was remarkable. This person publicized a tremendous amount of her personal details for all to see. Anyone in traffic, whether average Joe or person with malevolent intent, knew a tremendous amount of details about the woman.

The sticker descriptions are written from the point of view of “the bad guy”.

The stick figure family

This is the latest fad for the rear window, and I love it. A slew of stick figures representing the family, kids, and pets. In the case of this woman driving her Outback, I learned that she was a single mom, had two daughters, and a cat. She obviously took the time to represent her family right down to the pet. I now know that there is unlikely to be a “man of the house”, or he’d be represented here. I also know that there is no dog that will bark or guard the house while I break in. I know there are two daughters. I can break in, secure the entire structure, and know who to account for.

Local High School Ashley #44 Cheerleading

Nice. The name of the local high school tells me you live in the area. It tells me your daughter, Ashley, is a cheerleader. That means she’s good looking. I’ll keep that in mind. A quick google or Facebook search and I WILL have your last name, and that means I’ll have your address.

My daughter is an honor roll student at Local Junior High

I now have info on your younger daughter, and what school she goes to. It’s a relatively new Outback, so it’s likely this sticker does represent the young one and not the cheerleader. With data on your two daughters, I’m pretty sure I can physically dominate the sum physical threat your family brings.

Pro-gun stickers

NRA stickers, “Gun control means using both hands” stickers, and other expressions are strong indicators the occupant is a CPL licensee. A criminal trying to obtain a firearm illegally simply has to wait until the vehicle goes into a pistol free zone. Is it worth following someone around and hoping for it? Probably not. But the parking garage at Joe Lewis Arena is a great place to start. Suburbanite is going into “The D”, takes his pistol for safety, but knows he cannot bring it into the arena. It gets stashed in the car. A quick break in, and that pistol is now in the wrong hands.

Enter the grey man

The grey man is an expression synonymous with anonymity. It is a conscious effort not to stand out, but to blend and be nondescript. It does not necessarily mean blandness and boringness, but is not meant to be flaunting and attracting negative attention.

From now on you'll have no identifying marks of any kind. You'll not stand out in any way. Your entire image is crafted to leave no lasting memory with anyone you encounter. You're a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. You don't exist; you were never even born. Anonymity is your name. Silence your native tongue. You're no longer part of the System. You're above the System. Over it. Beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Black. Zed, Men In Black, 1997.

From a personal protection standpoint, it means not publicly giving away important details about your business, situations, or affiliations that may attract malevolence from wrong-doers. The grey man wants no attention, and wishes interaction with only those of his choosing. His political affiliations are not the world’s business, and he does not want to be singled out for them.

Likewise, those that are prepared and protection experts will also take the grey man approach. The tacti-cool gear, bling, stickers, and attire will be dismissed in favor of less overt clothing and accessories. He is aware, but not outwardly so. He is an expert in personal protection, but does not show off his skills or become a known ‘karate guy’ or ‘gun guy’ in a public setting. The grey man does not want to be seen as a ‘challenge’, or singled out for his preparedness and potential gear.

This does not mean he is not an expert in his field or known as a competent professional. It simply means that if you saw him on the street you wouldn’t know it.

Imagine our Subaru Outback driver at a red light next to a grey Chevy Malibu with no markings. A violent sex offender pulls up behind. Who will be his next target?

I also found another site that goes into detail about how to be "Grey" by dividing it up into 4 phases. However it is another prepping site and I don't want to put it up here without approval from the Mods.

Sniper-T
11-01-2013, 01:09 AM
I have to laugh every time I see those stickers on the back of vehicles. In a twisted sort of way, I help educate people about this kind of thing... There is also a similar sticker of a psycho looking dude with a chainsaw, with the caption "This is what I think of your stick figure family"

I bought several dozen of them at a local gun show and when I see a happy family on the back of a minivan... I add mine. I don't wash the window or anything, just stick it on on the dirt/dust, so it'll come off easy and I'm not vandalizing... but it is amazing how many times I've seen the same mini van a week or so later with the whole family gone.

Did momma wake up a little? I'd like to hope so, and think so. But yeah, it's cruel, mean, blah blah, blah. but did I posibly just save a family a whole lot of grief? chances are, in my neck of the woods no... but MAYBE...

- - - Updated - - -

I have many references to be being grey... it's key!

bacpacker
11-01-2013, 01:23 AM
I love the decal idea. I'm sure you have raised some awareness.

MegaCPC
11-02-2013, 12:16 AM
People will advertise anything and everything about themselves.

Sniper, you have the right idea!

Domeguy
11-02-2013, 03:35 AM
I currently post a zombie hunting license, maybe I should rethink that?

2die4
11-02-2013, 03:39 AM
I keep my Army stickers up in hopes it will get me out of a speeding ticket.

David Armstrong
11-02-2013, 06:30 PM
I have found the grey man concept to be a bit over rated. Most folks would be downright insulted to find out how little other folks care about them. Criminals who research their non-business targets are relatively rare, and those that do research targets generally are doing research based on things other than window stickers, the t-shirt you are wearing, etc. It's not a bad idea but I doubt it is worth worrying over too much, particularly as it relates to automobile stickers.

2die4
11-02-2013, 09:07 PM
I have found the grey man concept to be a bit over rated. Most folks would be downright insulted to find out how little other folks care about them. Criminals who research their non-business targets are relatively rare, and those that do research targets generally are doing research based on things other than window stickers, the t-shirt you are wearing, etc. It's not a bad idea but I doubt it is worth worrying over too much, particularly as it relates to automobile stickers.

This may be true but why offer potential clues to criminals who do research their victims? With today's ease of technology that rare and small percentage may actually increase.

“Strange how paranoia can link up with reality now and then.”
― Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly

David Armstrong
11-02-2013, 11:51 PM
I think you hit the key already. With today's ease of technology pretty much anyone who wants to learn anything about anybody can do so rather easily unless you have made active efforts to scrub your info from the world. I deal with lots of criminals and have done so for a long time, and I've yet to find one who targeted a car or home for break-in because of pro-gun stickers, for example, or a child predator who used bumper stickers or car decorations to find a victim. They may be out there, but IME if they want to learn about you they go on-line or pay someone for an info packet.

Sniper-T
11-05-2013, 11:04 PM
not quite exactly, but like this...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t26/PhoneCardLady/nobody-cares-about-your-stick-figure-family_zpsb6e9d6a7.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/PhoneCardLady/media/nobody-cares-about-your-stick-figure-family_zpsb6e9d6a7.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

saw this one today...

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o192/Angel_Devil69/StickfigurefamilyX.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/Angel_Devil69/media/StickfigurefamilyX.jpg.html)

MegaCPC
11-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Sometimes I feel like sticking a second woman on the other side of the man, talk about SHTF.

Sometimes I can be mean.

bacpacker
11-06-2013, 12:19 AM
That would probably be the EX wife with the chain saw!

Katrina
11-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Maybe I should remove my Klingon Warrior Academy sticker I have taped to the window. Other than that I don't have anything else on the car.

ladyhk13
11-07-2013, 01:11 AM
I wonder what my Mossy Oak cammo wrap '84 Chevy Blazer 4x4 says about me?

izzyscout21
11-07-2013, 03:00 AM
I wonder what my Mossy Oak cammo wrap '84 Chevy Blazer 4x4 says about me?

"$&@! Off, and get out of my way."

ladyhk13
11-07-2013, 03:02 AM
"$&@! Off, and get out of my way."

rotflmao!!!!