PDA

View Full Version : Your AO and Google maps

2die4
11-02-2013, 04:52 AM
If you're like me, you have probably Googled your AO and have been disturbed about having your property on the internet for all to see. There is a function in Googlemaps that allows you to blur out your house and car. I wish they could draw in a crater in place of my house but I'll take it. If somebody want to scope out my house they will have to do it the old fashion way and come through my neighborhood of nosy old bittys who know what car should be there and what shouldn't.

Credit to: Offthegridnews.com (http://bit.ly/1iBThmh)
How to Hide Your House

The bad news is that there is no way to keep your address off of Google Maps. The good news is that you can get Google to blur out your property so Google Maps users will not see it. Here’s the process which is outlined at Google.

How to get your property blurred:

Go to Google Maps and type in your address
Bring up the street view of your property
Look to the bottom right hand corner of the screen you should see an Icon Labeled: “report a problem.”
Click on “report a problem.”
You will get a page labeled “report inappropriate street view.”
Look for the words “Privacy Concerns” and click on them.
If you want your house blurred, click on “my house.” Then choose the option: “I have a picture of my house and would like it blurred.”
Adjust the image and show Google which part of the photo needs blurred.
Type the verification code at the bottom of the page into the box provided and click submit.
Check back in a few days to see if the image has been blurred.

You can also get license plates and faces blurred. For example, if you want a picture of your business on Google Maps but don’t want the license plate number of your vehicle parked in front on Google, you can get that blurred. You can also get your car blurred out as well if you want.

Google wants you to report license plate numbers and faces that aren’t blurred so it can blur them out. This process does seem to work, and it is free.

Google is Watching You

The amount of information Google collects through Google Maps and posts online is frightening. Not every address is included in Google Street View, though. Addresses in many rural areas are not on street view. Although, chances are that your home is on it if you live in a suburban or urban area.

Twitchy
11-02-2013, 05:58 AM
When this feature was first released, there were actually groups going around defacing properties that utilized this feature. Not to mention, google is one of only a few DOZEN companies that have satellite coverage of your property... This will also not include legacy images in google earth for example...

helomech
11-02-2013, 11:05 AM
There is no street view of my house, and will never be. But the over head view zooms in pretty good.

2die4
11-08-2013, 04:33 AM
Update: It works. Google just sent me the notice and lo and behold they blurred my house out along with the car in the driveway.

Stormfeather
11-08-2013, 07:42 PM
My license plates were already blurred for some reason, No idea why, but they are, so not worried about it! Kind of bummed since Ive got really cool vanity plates!

Foulball
11-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Not too worried personally. Someone would have to really want to be in the barrio to hit where I live. I'm married into a family that was one of the first residences in the neighborhood. I've noticed that people seem to look out for each other here and let each other know if someone that doesn't belong in the area has been hanging around. And that's when the neighborhood kids start harassing the shit out of them, lol.

David Armstrong
11-12-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm sort of with Foulball, not too worried. If someone wants to check out your home they will check it out barring some unusual circumstances. Really all the Google thing does is keep causal lookie-lous from looking. I would even envision the fact the location was blurred could even serve as an attraction..."Hmmm, I wonder why that place is blurred out? Maybe we should go check it out."

2die4
11-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Blurred spots may entice some people but I'm counting on the laziness. If criminals are too lazy to scout a potential neighborhood target and rely on google maps, I'm pretty sure they will skip my house in my opinion. It's a new era and criminals are evolving. I just choose not to help that process. Although not a common occurrence, it is happening. A simple google search pulled this up. Example 1 (http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/129829/how-cops-and-robbers-are-using-google-earth-231444#slide7) and this, Example 2 (http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/129829/how-cops-and-robbers-are-using-google-earth-231444#slide8) along with this, Example 3 (http://www.infoworld.com/slideshow/129829/how-cops-and-robbers-are-using-google-earth-231444#slide9). I'm sure if I search more a few more examples can be found. Technology, it's a blessing and a curse.

Sniper-T
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
You have to keep on top of them though, or they'll revert back to the open view.

A buddy was playing on the front lawn when the google street view went by and had great pictures of the kid in front of the house with the number, cars in the driveway, the whole bit. Needless to say, buddy freaked, and the did a good job of blurring out, but every 5 or six months the view goes back to the unblurre on, and he has to contact them again.

Metrocruiser
11-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Thanks 2die4, I just google walked my house and the damn google truck went down our alley and shot 3 sides of the house all over top of our fence and into our yard. Holy WTF!!!!!!

Just sent off a report a problem. I hope it will be blurred.

eagle326
11-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Okay; Maybe my Dumb Old Ass isn't as updated as you youngin's in the satellite business are. But I gaurantee you this!!! Your dumb ass can take all the pictures you want! Don't care ; Shoot your wad !!
You assume that your'e smarter than the average person. Good luck with that sissy- boy. He who believes that they have the opposition by the balls are the same ones who play with themselves ; All the while telling the average citizen how educated they are.

Son ; Daughter ; Whom ever.
I 'm the personification of all that freedom loving people strive to be even unto death. I am not alone. Many live in the shadows and many play the sheep game . All to one end ; Your total destruction to the point of true freedom.

Will you kill me? Who cares I'm one of many who'll overwhelm you with your own stupidity and superior beliefs of entitlements. So take all the pictures you desire. The Govt. has had my profile on record since Jan. 1968 when I entered the Army.

P.S.
At least get a good profile picture. I'd hate to go out looking like a criminal. :p

P.S. #2

Hmmmm ; Is this humor ? Or what the hell ? :p

Sniper-T
11-29-2013, 10:50 PM
suck it up buttercup... your ugly mug is all over the free world already. as is every detail of your AO....

poke the bear... poke the bear...

eagle326
11-29-2013, 10:53 PM
suck it up buttercup... your ugly mug is all over the free world already. as is every detail of your AO....

poke the bear... poke the bear...

I'm with you Sniper. I think we could do a ( Poke The Bear Game) UGLY MUGS only need to apply. :D

Metrocruiser
12-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Wow Google blurred it already. Ty op

msomnipotent
12-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Well, I just spent more time than I planned looking at all of my neighbors' yards. Must learn to stop being nosy.

Thankfully, the street view is blocked by the only tree that still had its leaves when they drove by. Otherwise, there would probably be a pic of me beating a wild half-beagle that is barking her head off right in front of the big picture window.